News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Driving Pet Peeves

Started by Brandon, October 31, 2013, 02:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Most of us drive, even those that don't have been the victims of the jerque du jour on the road.  What are your driving pet peeves?

Here's some of mine, and yes, this is a bitch thread.

1. People who do not turn their lights on in the rain, snow, fog, or at night.  How the fuck can I avoid your stupid ass if I can't see your stupid ass?  :verymad:

2. People who seem to think it is OK to enter a 65-75 mile an hour freeway at 40 mph.  :-o  You enter a freeway at speed, period, full stop.

3. This is a new one around here, I've seen this behavior start up within the past year: People who hit the brake (even if they are below the work zone speed limit) whenever they see a worker near the road in a work zone.  News flash, morons, if they stay on their side of the barrels, and you stay on yours, we'll all be fine.  :banghead:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

People who talk on their phones. :bigass:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Slow drivers are really bad. Do they want to be slow? Are they new? Why would a driver want to be slow? If you're not in a rush, take a non-freeway route!

Also, pedestrians at night wearing black.

Also, bicycles/skateboarders crossing the street without looking for traffic. They don't even have a helmet on.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

1995hoo

Heh. I doubt I could even think of everything that irks me when I'm driving. This is a partial list.

–People who drive without headlights in bad weather or at night.
–People who drive without headlights when the sun is low in the sky.
–People who drive without headlights in enclosed or underground parking facilities.
–People who drive without headlights on two-lane roads where you pass over the center line.
–People who don't dim their high-beams for approaching traffic.
–People who don't fix burned-out headlights.
–People who drive with just the parking lights.
–People who drive at night with just DRLs (especially if their DRL system doesn't turn on the taillights).
–People who don't use turn signals.
–People who think that trying to match their speed to a gap in the adjacent lane is a substitute for a turn signal.
–People who fail to yield when turning on red (this will be the subject of my next dashcam compilation).
–People who go straight out of turn-only lanes (this will also be in my next compilation video).
–People who don't keep right except to pass.
–People who try to drive down the turn lane and then shove over to go straight.
–People who try to drive down a thru lane and then cut into the exit queue at the gore area.
–People who change lanes from a thru lane into the onramp acceleration lane to use it as a passing lane.
–People who leave too much space when stopped at a red light such that you can't access the turn lane.
–People who exceed the speed limit to the point where they're unable to stay on their own side of the double yellow line (common in my neighborhood's 25-mph zone).
–People who leave too much space when they parallel park, thereby preventing someone else from fitting in.
–People who ignore the sign for the proper lane at an interchange and then expect everyone to slow down to let them get over at the last second.
–People who don't seem to know what "Exit Only" means.
–People who drive right in the middle on roads with no center stripe instead of staying to the right.
–People who are happy to give you the finger, flash their high-beams, etc., but who go into a rage if you give them the finger back.
–People who won't change lanes when they have all the space in the world behind you but instead insist on trying to force their way in further up.
–People who stop at green lights for no reason.
–People who stop at yield signs for no reason.
–People who walk despite having a "Don't Walk" sign.
–People who cut the corner at intersections instead of staying on their own side.
–People who, when encountering an onramp acceleration lane, don't move over one lane to allow people to enter the highway without slowing down (assuming, of course, traffic is flowing freely and it's safe to move over...I view this as a courtesy even though the entering driver is the one who has to yield).
–People who don't move when the light turns green or when the car in front of them moves.
–People (other than truck drivers) who make a "Mississippi turn" where they signal right (or left) but then pull left (or right) before making the turn.
–People who don't have E-ZPass or SunPass but who drive into the E-ZPass Only or SunPass Only lane anyway and then stop.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

People who don't signal and then try to cut you off thinking that you already knew what they were doing.

People who pass you then barely go the speed limit just to spite you.

People who drive in the left lane and go the speed limit, preventing everyone from passing.

People who drive with their brights on all the time at night, and don't turn them off when they see you coming over the horizon.

New Jersey traffic circles.  :ded:
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Dr Frankenstein

My top pet peeves:

1. Not signaling a turn or a lane change, even if there's very little possibility of conflict. It really is my Berserk Button. It's so damn easy to signal, why isn't the procedure wired up in your brain already? I mean, I do it without even thinking!

2. Driving noticeably under the limit, for no apparent reason (i.e. not looking for an address), after passing more than one speed limit sign that's above their travel speed. Worse if it's straight line in the milddle of nowhere. Worse if it's impossible to pass for several miles.

2a. Slowing down at intersections where you have the right of way. I swear, I've seen a lot of people do this lately. dafuq?

3. Making a full 2+ second stop at a Yield with no conflicting traffic. Worse, making such a stop when there's no sign at all because you have the right of way in that direction. Guaranteed honk from me.

4. Going through an intersection from a turn lane, cutting me off in the process. I'll honk at you and I'll wish for your death if you do this.

agentsteel53

driving in the left lane, slower than traffic approaching from behind.  stay right.  or, hell, stay home. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote–People (other than truck drivers) who make a "Mississippi turn" where they signal right (or left) but then pull left (or right) before making the turn.

what is the point of this, exactly?  unless you're making a hook turn (which involves pulling completely out of the travel lane, and then yielding to any traffic behind you), or your turning radius is insufficient ... you do not need to pull one direction before turning in the other.

that said: more people should use hook turns.  why hold everybody up?

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Deer that run out into the roadway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 31, 2013, 03:24:13 PM
Quote–People (other than truck drivers) who make a "Mississippi turn" where they signal right (or left) but then pull left (or right) before making the turn.

what is the point of this, exactly?  unless you're making a hook turn (which involves pulling completely out of the travel lane, and then yielding to any traffic behind you), or your turning radius is insufficient ... you do not need to pull one direction before turning in the other.

That's what the rear differential is for.  There's a reason GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, et.al. put one on the damn car.  Take the turn quickly and square it properly.

Of course, I passed two driver's ed vehicles on I-55 earlier today.  It was raining, and state law dictates that the lights be on if the wipers are on.  Neither driver's ed vehicles had lights on.  WTF are they teaching people in driver's ed!?!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote—People (other than truck drivers) who make a "Mississippi turn" where they signal right (or left) but then pull left (or right) before making the turn.

Truckers need to do this because of the length of their truck.  I wonder if people watch those truckers, then think they need to do it themselves.  All the time.  In their tiny-ass car.

Brandon

Quote from: Zeffy on October 31, 2013, 03:14:26 PM
People who pass you then barely go the speed limit just to spite you.

Then you have those who decide to speed up when you try to pass them.  Had two of those fuckers today.  The last one was on two-lane IL-126.

1995hoo

I've never understood it and that's one reason why it's on my list. My use of the term "Mississippi turn" comes from my father; he calls it that because of the way the river turns first one way and then the other. I did it one time in my high school's parking lot when he was teaching me to drive in his 1982 Honda Accord (a small car) and he reprimanded me quite thoroughly for it. (I wasn't doing it because I thought I needed to. I just did it for no reason at all and he was most emphatic that I should not get into that bad habit.)

The only times I ever make that kind of turn are when I'm turning into our driveway (because it's a narrow driveway with bushes on one side and we live on a narrow street) and sometimes when I'm parking in a tight parking garage. But some people do it in an ordinary old right-turn lane. MAYBE if you're going around a very sharp turn it might be necessary.

Another addition to my list:

–People who make a turn where there are multiple turn lanes but fail to turn into the correct lane. (Example: I'm in the second lane from the right and it's an option lane. You're in the far right lane and it's a turn-only lane. We both turn but you turn into the second lane from the right, which is my lane.) An example of this will show up in my next compilation video. I see it happen frequently at relatively high speed (meaning 30 mph or so) at the Beltway interchange nearest to our house. Very dangerous and annoying when you're turning legally and the guy next to you launches right into your lane.

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 31, 2013, 03:56:48 PM
–People who make a turn where there are multiple turn lanes but fail to turn into the correct lane. (Example: I'm in the second lane from the right and it's an option lane. You're in the far right lane and it's a turn-only lane. We both turn but you turn into the second lane from the right, which is my lane.) An example of this will show up in my next compilation video. I see it happen frequently at relatively high speed (meaning 30 mph or so) at the Beltway interchange nearest to our house. Very dangerous and annoying when you're turning legally and the guy next to you launches right into your lane.

That shit gets the horn from me.  I've had more than a few assholes pull that on dual left turns.  It happens far too often for my taste at the I-55/US-30 interchange in town.

Takumi

Police who want to give you a ticket for the slightest little things.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Molandfreak

People who hang out in your blind spot all day long on the freeway.

People who don't change lanes to let you on the freeway when there's nobody in the other lane (had this happen to me today with someone texting and driving)

People who slow down to the speed limit in a freeway construction zone (or any two-laner with a ton of traffic) and hold up a line, when everyone in front of them is still going 70-75.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on October 31, 2013, 04:04:46 PM

That shit gets the horn from me.  I've had more than a few assholes pull that on dual left turns.  It happens far too often for my taste at the I-55/US-30 interchange in town.

Turns out I misremembered: The new compilation video doesn't include that clip. Instead it includes a different clip from the same intersection (though I was coming from a different direction) where a woman cut a right on red as I came through the intersection and turned into the center lane (where I was) instead of the right lane.

Here's the one I was thinking of. Notice they put down what VDOT calls "puppy tracks" to underscore the proper movement. I was just far enough back that I didn't bother blowing the horn, although I felt it would have been justified.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Molandfreak on October 31, 2013, 04:35:12 PM
People who slow down to the speed limit in a freeway construction zone (or any two-laner with a ton of traffic) and hold up a line, when everyone in front of them is still going 70-75.

I've done this.  if it's posted 35 and it looks like there are people hard at work, I will go 35.  especially if I am N states away from home; who knows what the enforcement is like?  I'm sure I could safely do 50 (70 seems pushing it, if it's an active work zone), but who wants to fly back to Rustnozzle County to explain that to a judge?

jake@aaroads.com

Molandfreak

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 31, 2013, 04:41:36 PM

I've done this.  if it's posted 35 and it looks like there are people hard at work, I will go 35.  especially if I am N states away from home; who knows what the enforcement is like?  I'm sure I could safely do 50 (70 seems pushing it, if it's an active work zone), but who wants to fly back to Rustnozzle County to explain that to a judge?
If it's 35 and under heavy instruction, and people are still going 70, then yeah you have a problem. If it's 55 and not extremely active at the time, I'll go with the traffic.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 31, 2013, 04:41:36 PM

I recall a situation where I made a point of going right on the speed limit when there was an "average speed check" zone set up on the M4 somewhere between Reading and Heathrow and the speed limit was 50 mph. "Average speed check" means each camera reads your number plate and it then calculates your speed based on how long it took you to pass the multiple cameras. Too fast and you get a ticket. It's specifically designed to prevent what we all do in DC and Maryland, which is to drive along at whatever speed suits us and then slow down when we pass a speed camera.

formulanone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 31, 2013, 03:42:21 PM
I wonder if people watch those truckers, then think they need to do it themselves.  All the time.  In their tiny-ass car.

I verge slightly towards the other lane if I know the radius is going to be tight, but certainly not in thick traffic. Certainly not enough to take two lanes up like a Scandinavian Flick (although I've done those before on completely empty roads/lots). If the median has a wide enough berth, I can nicely and speedily take the left lane without disruption.

I can't stand when someone lazily makes a slow U-turn and doesn't even try to attempt accelerate with the flow of traffic. I understand trucks are going to do this, because they do not accelerate very rapidly - that's understandable. But the average car has 150 horsepower, this is when you need to use it.

Quote from: Brandon on October 31, 2013, 04:04:46 PM
—People who make a turn where there are multiple turn lanes but fail to turn into the correct lane. (Example: I'm in the second lane from the right and it's an option lane. You're in the far right lane and it's a turn-only lane. We both turn but you turn into the second lane from the right, which is my lane.) An example of this will show up in my next compilation video. I see it happen frequently at relatively high speed (meaning 30 mph or so) at the Beltway interchange nearest to our house. Very dangerous and annoying when you're turning legally and the guy next to you launches right into your lane.

Yeah, it's one thing if you launch like the clappers because you really meant to be in that "other left lane", and cut off nobody, fine. But don't slice within 2 feet of my bumper, and fail to tell me you're doing so when we're stopped, because you did not to pay attention.

This all combines into one very big pet peeve of mine: Doing some stupid maneuver which annoys a bunch of motorists instead of driving up the street one block and making a U-turn. Or missing an exit, and reversing (!) or swerving maniacally to make the ramp.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 31, 2013, 03:56:48 PM"Mississippi turn"

here I thought that was a left turn lane separated by a barrier from the straight lanes, so that one can see oncoming traffic better even if the oncoming left-turn lane is occupied.

http://goo.gl/maps/2tO0w

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: formulanone on October 31, 2013, 04:46:38 PM

This all combines into one very big pet peeve of mine: Doing some stupid maneuver which annoys a bunch of motorists instead of driving up the street one block and making a U-turn. Or missing an exit, and reversing (!) or swerving maniacally to make the ramp.

agentsteel53

Quote from: formulanone on October 31, 2013, 04:46:38 PM

then there's always the milquetoast who lets in the driver attempting to cut the gore.

nope, that person needs to stay in the gore until he runs out of gas and needs a tow truck.  take the next exit, you fool.

jake@aaroads.com

xcellntbuy

Stopping on green, an interesting south Florida trick.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.