News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-73 in VA

Started by 74/171FAN, June 04, 2009, 07:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on June 02, 2016, 10:09:17 AM
Quotesuch as finishing Corridor H,

By the numbers, I-73 is a better project than Corridor H in Virginia, so you might want to reevaluate this statement...

I'd think that improving access to the Virginia Inland Port from the west would be financially beneficial to the Commonwealth.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Poking around the Port of Virginia website, they largely use trucks to do any business with WV and rail for places further out that direction.

Because the inland port is just an arm of the shore port, anything going to the inland port goes through the shore port first for the most part.  There is already decent road access from the shore ports to West Virginia so an improved US 48 west of Strasburg might only be beneficial to Virginia if it could be shown that shipping stuff to the inland port by rail first then putting it on a truck to go somewhere in WV is cost-effective.

The inland port says they exist to improve port access to the DC and Baltimore regions (really).  About 30 companies have set up around the inland port area to take advantage of it.

I will say that even if I-73 scores better, it certainly would be cheaper to improve US 48 but in terms of what is necessary, a full fledged expressway-type road may not have to be done...just some spot improvements.  Currently the truck AADT at the state line is barely 150 (6% of total traffic).

edit: fixed typo

Strider

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 03, 2016, 10:41:52 PM
Poking around the Port of Virginia website, they largely use trucks to do any business with WV and rail for places further out that direction.

Because the inland port is just an arm of the shore port, anything going to the inland port goes through the shore port first for the most part.  There is already decent road access from the shore ports to West Virginia so an improved US 48 west of Strasburg might only be beneficial to Virginia if it could be shown that shipping stuff to the inland port by rail first then putting it on a truck to go somewhere in WV is cost-effective.

The inland port says they exist to improve port access to the DC and Baltimore regions (really).  About 30 companies have set up around the inland port area to take advantage of it.

I will say that even if I-73 scores better, it certainly would be cheaper to improve US 48 but in terms of what is necessary, a full fledged expressway-type road may not have to be done...just some spot improvements.  Currently the truck AADT at the state line is barely 150 (6% of total traffic).

Virginia is not going to build their part of Corridor H anytime soon according to this article in 2015:

http://www.nvdaily.com/news/2015/06/corridor-h-development-moves-forward-without-virginia/

Back to the I-73 topic.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Strider on June 05, 2016, 04:44:58 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on June 03, 2016, 10:41:52 PM

Virginia is not going to build their part of Corridor H anytime soon according to this article in 2015:

http://www.nvdaily.com/news/2015/06/corridor-h-development-moves-forward-without-virginia/

Back to the I-73 topic.

I have checked several times - it is not in the VDOT Six Year Program for anything, so no progress anytime soon should be anticipated. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

dvferyance

The future I-73 sings on US 220 are gone. I think it's safe to say I-73 in Virginia is dead.

LM117

Quote from: dvferyance on June 10, 2016, 10:38:41 PM
The future I-73 sings on US 220 are gone. I think it's safe to say I-73 in Virginia is dead.

Are the Future I-73 signs still up along I-581 in Roanoke? Those were put there not too long ago. I think anybody that's paid attention to the politics in Henry County and in the General Assembly in Richmond have already known this for a long time. Bill Stanley seems to be the only vocal advocate for I-73 in the General Assembly. He's just kidding himself at this point. I will say, however, that if given the choice between the two, I'd much rather see I-87 done first. I don't expect that one to ever be finished either, for the same reason.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Strider

WRONG! I went up to Roanoke today and saw PLENTY of Future I-73 corridor signs on US 220. I don't know where you get this. There is one just south of NC/VA border, a few miles north of Martinsville, and 4 of them in Roanoke area (I-581/US 220) as of TODAY. Make sure you drive in that area before making a false comments like this.

LM117

Quote from: Strider on June 11, 2016, 05:56:09 PM

WRONG! I went up to Roanoke today and saw PLENTY of Future I-73 corridor signs on US 220. I don't know where you get this. There is one just south of NC/VA border, a few miles north of Martinsville, and 4 of them in Roanoke area (I-581/US 220) as of TODAY. Make sure you drive in that area before making a false comments like this.

Thanks for confirming that the signs are still there. I hardly ever get out that way myself.

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on June 11, 2016, 06:09:07 PM

Thanks for confirming that the signs are still there. I hardly ever get out that way myself.

You are welcome. :)

dvferyance

I was on US 220 between Roanoke and Rocky Mount last October and didn't see any. Excuse me but I live in SE Wisconsin if anything has changed since then how would I know?

LM117

Quote from: dvferyance on June 17, 2016, 06:42:53 PM

I was on US 220 between Roanoke and Rocky Mount last October and didn't see any. But what do I know now? I live over 800 miles away.

To my knowledge, there still isn't any Future I-73 signs between Rocky Mount and Roanoke (not counting I-581). They're only placed at the spots Strider mentioned. I-73 in VA is dead for the forseeable future.

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on June 17, 2016, 07:34:05 PM

I was on US 220 between Roanoke and Rocky Mount last October and didn't see any. But what do I know now? I live over 800 miles away.

To my knowledge, there still isn't any Future I-73 signs between Rocky Mount and Roanoke (not counting I-581). They're only placed at the spots Strider mentioned. I-73 in VA is dead for the forseeable future.

That is because that section of US 220 between Rocky Mount and Roanoke is not going to be a part of I-73 (the plan is to have I-73 follow US 220 to the EAST), therefore why you don't see the "Future I-73 Corridor" signs anywhere between these two cities. The "future I-73" Corridor signs you see.. that's where the part of US 220 will become I-73 in the future.

As of you saying I-73 is dead, it is NOT dead. it is being shelved for time being.

LM117

Quote from: Strider on June 18, 2016, 02:40:11 PM

That is because that section of US 220 between Rocky Mount and Roanoke is not going to be a part of I-73 (the plan is to have I-73 follow US 220 to the EAST), therefore why you don't see the "Future I-73 Corridor" signs anywhere between these two cities. The "future I-73" Corridor signs you see.. that's where the part of US 220 will become I-73 in the future.

Yeah, I forgot about the new location routing there. I should've remembered it since I posted a map of the I-73 corridor in this thread not too long ago. Damn brainfart... :pan:

CanesFan27

Quote from: Strider on June 18, 2016, 02:40:11 PM

As of you saying I-73 is dead, it is NOT dead. it is being shelved for time being.

You can have future corridor signs along highways that are not going to be converted to an Interstate.  That was the case with I-73 Future Corridor signs in South Carolina. 

WashuOtaku

Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 18, 2016, 03:49:53 PM
You can have future corridor signs along highways that are not going to be converted to an Interstate.  That was the case with I-73 Future Corridor signs in South Carolina.

Just because South Carolina did that doesn't mean other states do the same.  :pan:

CanesFan27

Quote from: WashuOtaku on June 19, 2016, 01:39:38 AM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 18, 2016, 03:49:53 PM

Just because South Carolina did that doesn't mean other states do the same.  :pan:

Mark, yes you are correct.  But I am sure that you recall that on the north end of the US 1 interchange with US /Future I-74 in Rockingham there were "Begin" and "End Future 73/74 Corridor signs" and that part of US 1 isn't being upgraded.

74/171FAN

Update on the I-73 earmarked funds, the Henry County Board of Supervisors has approved a resolution to ask the CTB for the funds to be used for the planned connector road from Patriot Centre to US 58.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

CanesFan27

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 27, 2016, 09:28:51 PM
Update on the I-73 earmarked funds, the Henry County Board of Supervisors has approved a resolution to ask the CTB for the funds to be used for the planned connector road from Patriot Centre to US 58.

Which is all that matter to them in the first place.

Strider

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 27, 2016, 09:37:18 PM

From what I heard, (still waiting for someone from there to respond to my question) the Henry County's plan is to build I-73 from NC border to the Patriot Centre. Kudos to them, I just wish they could consider other alternatives that uses the existing US 220 freeway around Martinsville.

LM117

Quote from: Strider on July 27, 2016, 10:39:34 PM

From what I heard, (still waiting for someone from there to respond to my question) the Henry County's plan is to build I-73 from NC border to the Patriot Centre. Kudos to them, I just wish they could consider other alternatives that uses the existing US 220 freeway around Martinsville.

So, they want the connector road to become part of I-73 eventually?

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on July 28, 2016, 06:03:39 AM
Quote from: Strider on July 27, 2016, 10:39:34 PM

So, they want the connector road to become part of I-73 eventually?

Yeah. The connector is going to be on or close to the proposed I-73 approved corridor through Henry County.

The Ghostbuster

Will the connector road be a freeway, a four-lane expressway with at-grade intersections, or be built in some other road configuration entirely?

wdcrft63

Quote from: Strider on July 28, 2016, 10:25:44 AM
Yeah. The connector is going to be on or close to the proposed I-73 approved corridor through Henry County.
I'm not from the area, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Looks like the revised I-73 route, as shown on the VDOT map (http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/Salem/I-73_Map_December_2012.jpg) has an interchange with Barrows Mill Road (SR 663) just at the north edge of the Patriot Centre property (http://www.yesmartinsville.com/properties/details/id/52/patriot-centre-ii). So yes, the connector road would be a segment of Future I-73. Assuming there is a Future I-73 in VA.

Strider

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 28, 2016, 04:15:06 PM
Will the connector road be a freeway, an four-lane expressway with at-grade intersections, or be built in some other road configuration entirely?

Good question. I heard they plan on building it as a freeway, but not interstate standards (upgrade it to interstate later), but most definitely not an expressway. I am still waiting for the new information from Henry County Board of Supervisors though

Strider

Quote from: wdcrft63 on July 28, 2016, 04:23:39 PM
Quote from: Strider on July 28, 2016, 10:25:44 AM
I'm not from the area, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Looks like the revised I-73 route, as shown on the VDOT map (http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/Salem/I-73_Map_December_2012.jpg) has an interchange with Barrows Mill Road (SR 663) just at the north edge of the Patriot Centre property (http://www.yesmartinsville.com/properties/details/id/52/patriot-centre-ii). So yes, the connector road would be a segment of Future I-73. Assuming there is a Future I-73 in VA.

That is correct map. The revised I-73 route follows the green lines on the map (red was the original proposed route). Yeah the connector road follows "exactly" the same route. I put an " " on it because after getting a comment from a member of that I-73 group, I'd rather wait for a new information after they meet (which is planned for next Thursday) and one in September.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.