Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 28, 2014, 08:15:57 AM
R.I.P. 1956-2014

http://goo.gl/maps/Me35M

http://goo.gl/maps/wv8rz

So sad.  The one at the Holland Tunnel was still there two weeks ago, at least.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 28, 2014, 08:15:57 AM
R.I.P. 1956-2014

http://goo.gl/maps/Me35M

http://goo.gl/maps/wv8rz

Those were almost as iconic as the neon-tube DMS units and the green KEEP AWAKE signs in the median of the Turnpike.

Wish the Turnpike Authority had been able to replace the panels but save the structures.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hubcity

Seriously: Aww! Those were so durn cool.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

They're saving the mainline SB split. Because of that, they decided not to worry about the Penn Extension ones. Probably not about the Newark Bay ones either.

Beeper1

I thought the SB mainline one was already gone.  Most recent Google areal does not show it.

Alps

Quote from: Beeper1 on April 28, 2014, 10:40:27 PM
I thought the SB mainline one was already gone.  Most recent Google areal does not show it.
Saving as in museum.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on April 28, 2014, 11:48:41 PM
Saving as in museum.

Is there such a thing as a New Jersey Turnpike Museum?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Zeffy

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 29, 2014, 11:44:03 AM

It could be added to the state museum in Trenton.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Saving as in museum.

They have had travelling exhibits in the past, which for a roadway was pretty decent in size.

Alps

Saving as in museum.

I forget where it's ultimately going, but it's definitely to be preserved.

Zeffy

New Jersey Turnpike widening project reaches new milestone: http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2014/05/23b_nj_turnpike_widening_project_reaches_new_milestone_diverting_traffic.html#incart_m-rpt-1

QuoteThirty-five miles long with freshly painted, white, dotted lines, new traffic lanes opened on the New Jersey Turnpike this weekend as part of its five-year-long widening project.

The $2.3 billion project was launched in 2009 and, for five years, New Jersey Turnpike Authority contractors have been clearing land and paving and painting new lanes in each direction on the highway between Interchange 9 in New Brunswick and Interchange 6 in Chesterfield.

QuoteThe widening project takes the 8a choke point and moves it into Burlington County, farther south from Interchange 7A in Robbinsville – where thousands of Trenton-based state workers often transfer between the Turnpike and Interstate 195.

"The idea, the purpose of this widening project was to relieve congestion in a very congested area,"  Feeney said. "This is the biggest widening in the Turnpike's 52-year history."

During the last five years, people living near and around the Turnpike have had their own battles with the highway.

Mr. Matté

Caught me by surprise when I drove over the Turnpike this morning and saw the new lanes being utilized. It was only about two weeks ago there were still lots of construction vehicles on the outer lanes (at least in my area).

jeffandnicole

I drove it this morning from 4 to 7A. 

If you expected the Turnpike to welcome you with banners and balloons to the new roadways, you were badly mistaken. 

If you expected them to put out a sign - any sign - stating anything regarding the new traffic pattern, you were badly mistaken as well.

As one approached the diverge prior to Interchange 6, there was nothing that would tell motorists of the upcoming move to the outer roadway.  The CSLS sign prior to the merge showed the standard work zone limit of 55 mph (Actual results may vary).  Then the roadway was restriped with 3 normal lanes, complete with skip lines (passing zone lines) slowly sending people to the outer roadway.  Once on the outer roadway, things were completely normal.  At least the roadway was a bit smoother, compared to the chewed up pavement found on the inner roadways.

One noticable difference: The left shoulder of the outer roadway isn't a full left shoulder much of the time.  Rather, it's about 5 - 8 feet wide.  Even the right shoudler appears to be a bit tight on occasion...but is probably at least 10' wide.

bzakharin

What exactly is there to warn about? You still have 3 lanes, the construction is still going on, you can still access all the exits, pretty much the same way as you could before. Did they have warnings when there were temporary reroutings to portions of the outer roadways in the past (other than those lanes shift signs)? I don't recall seeing any.

jeffandnicole

There's the normal "New Traffic Pattern" ahead signage, which is generally used whenever a traffic pattern has changed.

There's also lane shift signage as you mentioned, such as the W1-4c.

Remember...the current traffic pattern has been in place for about 40 - 50 years (since the time the highway was widened from 2 to 3 lanes per direction). 

jeffandnicole

A few pics of the diverge approaching Interchange 6:

What will be the 1 mile ahead sign for the split. You can see the traffic coming off of the outer roadway in the background.

The split:

Almost fully within the outer roadway:

Note the Turnpike is using a (very) thin black border on either side of the skip lines on the concrete overpasses. 

The not-to-common combo of a service area sign alongside an advanced bgs sign (and an 2 1/2 mile ahead sign to boot too!)

Zeffy

Nice pics, that'll tide me over until GMSV magically updates the imagery on the Turnpike, since I can't ever ride it myself...

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 19, 2014, 01:08:20 PM
There's the normal "New Traffic Pattern" ahead signage, which is generally used whenever a traffic pattern has changed.

There's also lane shift signage as you mentioned, such as the W1-4c.

Remember...the current traffic pattern has been in place for about 40 - 50 years (since the time the highway was widened from 2 to 3 lanes per direction). 
What's there that's really changed?  It's still three lanes, the exits/entrances are identical, etc.  It's as if someone picked up a lego set and moved it over a few feet.  It's not as if lanes were added or exit ramps rearranged or anything like that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

If the northbound NJTP's not a parking lot this Friday night; I'll have an opportunity to check it out.  If I need to bypass most if it, like I've had to do on most of my recent trips & use US 130; I'll check out the southbound lanes next Monday night.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

And some pics going South from Int 7:
The look coming from Rt. 206 towards the toll plaza at Int. 7:

Approaching the ramps for the Turnpike South:

Next 3 pics are the Turnpike South, South of Int. 6, approaching the merge:

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Hoss6884 on May 20, 2014, 08:24:08 AM
While I was messing around on Google Maps Street View, I came across this NJTP sign placed over top an I-276 shield (presumably) west of the I-76/I-276 interchange.  I don't remember this being there before, but it doesn't make sense since it should say either "I-276" or "To NJTP" or both.  Anyone validate that it's still there? 

http://goo.gl/V5B8WL

Per this post, the sign apparently was fixed but the photos showing the new sign are unavailable.

Steve D

Quote from: vdeane on May 19, 2014, 03:47:51 PM

What's there that's really changed?  It's still three lanes, the exits/entrances are identical, etc.  It's as if someone picked up a lego set and moved it over a few feet.  It's not as if lanes were added or exit ramps rearranged or anything like that.

How about:

- Exit 8 was totally re-built on the other side of the Turnpike with all new ramps, a new toll plaza, a new connection to NJ 133 over the first full SPUI in NJ
- Exit 7A has a totally new trumpet (opposite direction of old one) with ramps going over I-195, plus other new ramps to/from the inner lanes
- Exit 7 has massive viaducts that carry the outer roadways over the existing ramps as well as long ramps going up/down two levels to connect the outer roadway to exit 7
- Exit 6 has many new ramps in the Y-style interchange
- Exit 8A has a new flyover ramp
- Two service areas have new ramps to/from the inner lanes (the ones at the area between 7 and 7a are very long)
- All new overpasses for local roads over the mainline between exit 6 and 8a
- New overhead signs at all exits and service areas - some unique with new information
- Brand new hybrid VMS for inner/outer roadways at every entrance
- Retirement of the funky art-deco Exit 6 sign on it's way to a museum apparently

Alps

Quote from: Steve D on May 20, 2014, 01:27:17 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 19, 2014, 03:47:51 PM

How about:

- Exit 8 was totally re-built on the other side of the Turnpike with all new ramps, a new toll plaza, a new connection to NJ 133 over the first full SPUI in NJ
- Exit 7A has a totally new trumpet (opposite direction of old one) with ramps going over I-195, plus other new ramps to/from the inner lanes
- Exit 7 has massive viaducts that carry the outer roadways over the existing ramps as well as long ramps going up/down two levels to connect the outer roadway to exit 7
- Exit 6 has many new ramps in the Y-style interchange
- Exit 8A has a new flyover ramp
- Two service areas have new ramps to/from the inner lanes (the ones at the area between 7 and 7a are very long)
- All new overpasses for local roads over the mainline between exit 6 and 8a
- New overhead signs at all exits and service areas - some unique with new information
- Brand new hybrid VMS for inner/outer roadways at every entrance
- Retirement of the funky art-deco Exit 6 sign on it's way to a museum apparently
None of which is cause for a "NEW TRAFFIC PATTERNS" sign. The Turnpike Authority was correct not to use it. Drivers will notice they're on the new outer lanes, but it's not going to affect their decision-making.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.