Department of Redundancy Department

Started by Brandon, December 26, 2013, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: roadman65 on August 05, 2015, 01:33:07 PM
New Jersey has always been redundant with the Parkway and Turnpike having both shields and text on the same sign.  Florida is now doing it for the FL Turnpike but only with "Turnpike" in text.

I believe Exit 129 is now replaced as someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the signs for the NJT read "Camden and New York City" and the pull through if I remember correctly (no I am not going to scroll through many of the 246 just to find it) the pull through now features "Paterson" as control city at the 129 exit diverge.

The NYS Thruway tends to do this too. The thruway shield isn't as engrained as the turnpike shield,  so often signs will add "N. Y. Thruway" or just "Thruway." A lot of signs for auxiliary interstates even list "Thruway" as the main destination.

iPad

roadman65

Yes the Thruway shield is not on most guide signs, but the interstate I-87 or I-90, and the text like you said either NY Thruway or just Thruway.  Not redundant, but true compared to NJ.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on August 06, 2015, 03:02:41 AM
Yes the Thruway shield is not on most guide signs, but the interstate I-87 or I-90, and the text like you said either NY Thruway or just Thruway.  Not redundant, but true compared to NJ.

This is true in some areas, but in the Capital Region, the Thruway shield is used on BGSes:

See: https://goo.gl/maps/bV02c

(There is a LGS before this that does say "Thruway Next Right")

And then, there's this sign with Northway in text and the Thruway shield:

https://goo.gl/maps/EvpAE
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman

PHLBOS wrote
QuoteSuch reminds me of a now-completely useless BGS along the exit ramp from the Mass Pike (I-90) to I-495.  Once upon a time, there used to be LEFT LANE/RIGHT LANE lettering underneath the I-495 shields

Classic case of not thinking the situation through before installing signs.  The "Left Lane Right Lane" legends were removed about six months after the signs were installed.  I've been told this was at the request of the Pike's Toll Operations folks, who cited problems when part of the toll plaza, which is between the signs and I-495, would be closed during the middle of the night or at other off-peak times.

Of course, the logical move would have been to completely remove the signs - wich is actually planned to happen as part of the I-90 Auburn to Boston sign replacement project being advertised for bids in October.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on June 26, 2015, 10:39:05 PM

Quote from: roadman65 on June 22, 2015, 01:07:09 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/triborough/8992862484/in/pool-njroads/
This here is sine salad because of redundancy, but everything on the large sign is on the smaller ones above it.

I love it when you can tell exactly where a setup came from immediately without reading the destination names. This installation just screams New Jersey. The longer nonstandard arrows give it a sort of unique look that you don't really see in other states.

Montvale! I love it when you can tell exactly where a setup came from immediately because you've seen it a thousand times. 

I remember about when this was put in.  The smaller signs are Bergen County standard, the large were necessitated as the result of a somewhat confusing rearrangement of that intersection in the 1980s.  Kinderkamack Rd splits into a one-way pair around the town common while also intersecting Grand Ave, another major arterial.  The number of unclear and/or counterintuitive movements and turns required significantly clearer signs than the smaller, more thorough ones.

This makes me crave the wings at Davey's Locker just beyond this intersection, with a 20oz pint of Yuengling.

PaulRAnderson

QuoteSuch reminds me of a now-completely useless BGS along the exit ramp from the Mass Pike (I-90) to I-495.  Once upon a time, there used to be LEFT LANE/RIGHT LANE lettering underneath the I-495 shields

I think LEFT LANE and RIGHT LANE were there for quite a while, more than six months.  And the story I heard was that, due to traffic going north or south on I-495 backing up, there were a lot of people being stuck in one lane or the other needlessly by restricting northbound traffic to the left lane and southbound traffic to the right lane.

Am I the only one who cringes when they drive under this sign?

Paul

machias

Prior to 1983, NYSDOT Region 3 would sign (90) (trailblazer) and then "Thruway" as the destination. They changed this when they widened Interstate 81 between Northern Lights and Hiawatha Blvd. in Syracuse, then they switched to "(90) Thruway" on one line, with no other control cities. In the last ten years they've been using (90) (trailblazer) and then Albany / Buffalo for new signs.  I think the last approach makes the most sense.

Thing 342

Not necessarily redundant, but certainly pointless: https://goo.gl/maps/8mLYq

What makes these signs even more pointless is that while it seems like the speed limit had been dropped and the school zone had never been updated or removed, in reality the road has always had the same 25 mph limit, as far as I can remember.

wytout

-Chris

Big John

Quote from: Thing 342 on August 08, 2015, 11:44:46 PM

What makes these signs even more pointless is that while it seems like the speed limit had been dropped and the school zone had never been updated or removed, in reality the road has always had the same 25 mph limit, as far as I can remember.
What I can think of is that speeding fines are a little bit higher in school zones: http://www.virginiatickethelp.com/virginia-speeding-tickets/speeding-fines.html

freebrickproductions

Quote from: wytout on August 09, 2015, 09:10:35 AM
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=95C9E200D09DEA98!16343&authkey=!AOsn0CSlieHFrVE&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg
I would think one or the other would be sufficient.
I think that's from the transition period to symbols on signs here in the US. From what I've heard, signs would have another sign like that underneath it with the meaning of the symbol written out on it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

bzakharin

Quote from: Thing 342 on August 08, 2015, 11:44:46 PM

There is a similar school zone sign on Church Road in Cherry Hill, NJ. The last regular speed limit sign eastbound is 25 anyway, but the speed limit *after* the school zone is 40 (https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9316573,-74.9824701,3a,75y,102.71h,81.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJ3YHyLniCjd5Geo5EqVYnA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1). Since there is no corresponding reduction in the regular speed limit in the other direction (https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9317264,-74.9827191,3a,75y,279.34h,81.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spU7zYJdXFAASoOqpshPG1A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1) what is the actual speed limit in that school zone when the sign is *not* flashing? Is it 25 eastbound, but 40 westbound?

Also, I've seen construction zones or advisory speeds at curves (maybe both) in NJ somewhere that post identical speed limits to the regular ones.

jbnv

Quote from: bzakharin on October 12, 2015, 02:21:20 PM
Also, I've seen construction zones or advisory speeds at curves (maybe both) in NJ somewhere that post identical speed limits to the regular ones.

For the last few weeks there has been a construction sign on westbound I-12 east of Baton Rouge, of the "speed limit ahead" variety, informing of a forthcoming speed limit of 70. The regular speed limit is 70, and the speed limit in that area before the construction began was 60!
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Mr. Matté

Two circle signs (modern roundabout + old-style NJDOT circle) and a pair of "JCT Route 31" signs (you can probably barely make out the second assembly way in the background)

Zeffy

Which side of the Pennington Circle is that? Coming from CR 546 heading away from Lawrenceville?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

thenetwork

Those in Western NYS:  Are their still double-US-20 shield assemblies in and around the Buffalo area?

Years ago, I remember frequently seeing two US-20 shields in-a-row -- each on separate posts -- within no more than 100 feet from each other in the same direction after crossing an intersection.

It didn't look like they were in the middle of a sign replacement, as both assemblies looked like they were there for a while.  And it wasn't within a short stretch of road either, this double-signing seemed to go on for dozens of miles!

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Zeffy on November 15, 2015, 10:26:16 PM
Which side of the Pennington Circle is that? Coming from CR 546 heading away from Lawrenceville?

From Washington Crossing towards the circle (eastbound)

hbelkins

Quote from: thenetwork on November 15, 2015, 10:34:59 PM
Those in Western NYS:  Are their still double-US-20 shield assemblies in and around the Buffalo area?

Years ago, I remember frequently seeing two US-20 shields in-a-row -- each on separate posts -- within no more than 100 feet from each other in the same direction after crossing an intersection.

It didn't look like they were in the middle of a sign replacement, as both assemblies looked like they were there for a while.  And it wasn't within a short stretch of road either, this double-signing seemed to go on for dozens of miles!

Not just US 20. I've seen it elsewhere in that area as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

It's pretty common all over parts of NY for there to be a reassurance shield with a directional banner right after a major intersection and then another reassurance shield with no banner a few hundred feet later.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

machias

Quote from: vdeane on November 16, 2015, 01:58:15 PM
It's pretty common all over parts of NY for there to be a reassurance shield with a directional banner right after a major intersection and then another reassurance shield with no banner a few hundred feet later.

I think that may have been the standard up until the early 1980s because I remember seeing that a LOT in Upstate New York as I was growing up. When I lived in Western New York I remember seeing such an arrangement along NY 60 south of Fredonia in 1986 and thinking that they must still be following an old standard, because new installations at the time didn't follow that convention (at least as far as I noticed). 

Big John

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

SignGeek101

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.