News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/cars/20151018_Driver_s_Seat__Waving_goodbye_to_E-ZPass_headaches.html#disqus_thread

This doesn't really belong in the Business sections...this reads more like an opinion piece than an actual article.

Along with the guy being a total dunce, he still messed up the whole cashless tolling thing.  The toll will be charged for vehicles going into Pennsylvania, not when approaching NJ.  And not 'everyone has had to stop' for years...just those paying cash.

jwolfer

Quote from: Zeffy on October 20, 2015, 09:53:21 AM
Pennsylvanians are just mad that they have to help another state to establish a connection to the most major highway in the country in order to facilitate better transit between New York and Philadelphia. One interchange is a lot easier than building an entire freeway too. And while I wish there was some sort of freeway at least between Bound Brook and Trenton, I can't blame the residents for opposing it. A lot of the areas are peaceful towns with some good natural preservation.
And congested 2 Lane roads that people bitch about.. But that's NJ for you

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jwolfer on October 20, 2015, 01:01:43 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on October 20, 2015, 09:53:21 AM
Pennsylvanians are just mad that they have to help another state to establish a connection to the most major highway in the country in order to facilitate better transit between New York and Philadelphia. One interchange is a lot easier than building an entire freeway too. And while I wish there was some sort of freeway at least between Bound Brook and Trenton, I can't blame the residents for opposing it. A lot of the areas are peaceful towns with some good natural preservation.
And congested 2 Lane roads that people bitch about.. But that's NJ for you

That's because there's evidence George Washington drove that two lane road.  In fact, I'm just going to reach down and, oh look, that rock appears to be from the 1700's.  So now there's absolutely proof.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 20, 2015, 12:46:27 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/cars/20151018_Driver_s_Seat__Waving_goodbye_to_E-ZPass_headaches.html#disqus_thread

This doesn't really belong in the Business sections...this reads more like an opinion piece than an actual article.

Along with the guy being a total dunce, he still messed up the whole cashless tolling thing.  The toll will be charged for vehicles going into Pennsylvania, not when approaching NJ.  And not 'everyone has had to stop' for years...just those paying cash.
Will the new Neshaminy Falls Toll Plaza have express lanes? If not, then there is no change as far as needing to stop to pay a toll goes, unless you are getting on/off at exit 358 (or I-95/295/whatever whenever that opens)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on October 20, 2015, 01:38:14 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 20, 2015, 12:46:27 PM

Will the new Neshaminy Falls Toll Plaza have express lanes? If not, then there is no change as far as needing to stop to pay a toll goes, unless you are getting on/off at exit 358 (or I-95/295/whatever whenever that opens)

If you have EZ Pass, you don't need to stop at any interchange on the PA Turnpike.  EZ Pass patrons are permitted to go thru the plazas at about 10 mph.

And yes, it will have express lanes.

CentralPAGal

Quote from: vdeane on October 19, 2015, 07:21:15 PM
Quote from: CentralPAguy on October 19, 2015, 02:59:51 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 18, 2015, 03:39:11 PM
The Somerset Freeway should have been built when I-95 was first constructed.  It is criminal that it wasn't built within 10 years of the rest of I-95.  If I were the FHWA, I would have revoked NJ's highway money at that point until the freeway got built.  ALL of it.
FTFY
Another person from PA who's upset about the Somerset Freeway?  Well guess what... interstate cancellations are/were, in fact, allowed, and PA agreed to build the interchange in order to keep I-95.  If they didn't want to build the interchange in a timely manner, then they should have suggested that I-95 be removed from PA and routed down the NJ Turnpike to Delaware.  They moment they agreed to build the interchange, PA took responsibility from NJ for finishing I-95.
Yup, cancellations happen, but NJ should have accepted responsibility for making a connection in some form or another. Instead, the PTC gets to take the crap for NJ's failure to make a connection. An unnecessary public bureaucracy (the PTC) makes an easy target though... Anyway, if NJ really wanted to make things work, they could have found some way to make a solid connection from 95/295 to the NJ TP

Quote from: vdeane on October 19, 2015, 07:21:15 PM
Quote from: Mr_Northside on October 19, 2015, 02:38:46 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 18, 2015, 03:39:11 PM
And why should those Pittsburgh freeways be the PTC's problem in the first place?  They aren't even logically a part of PTC's network!  Make PennDOT build them.

Cause due to PA Act 61 of 1985 and Act 26 of 1991, it became the law.
Just because it's in law doesn't make it logical.
Well, regardless whether or not it is logical, its the PTC's responsibility, and they can't just say "fuck Pittsburgh (or any other part of the state with PTC-maintained roads)"  just for the sake of helping NYC and NJ. How far should it be pushed, anyway? Should they cease all construction and maintenance (including repaving, bridge maintenance etc) spending on every inch of the Turnpike system that isn't related to the interchange just so that you can have your I-95 connection that many (I suspect including you) probably wouldn't use anyway?
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

roadman65

How come there is no connection from 95/295 to the NJT.  If they did it back in the 70's there would be hardly any obstacles in the way as most of Mercer and Southern Middlesex did not boom until the late 80's and early 90's to what it is now.   

Heck a freeway could have went from the US 1 interchange to the Hightstown Interchange.  Even another plan could have upgraded US 1 from 95/295 to NJ 18 to freeway standards and then built a cut across along the Raritan River relocating Exit 9 to the north of where it is now. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

I like the idea someone mentioned above re : I-95. Just remove it from Penna, route it straight down the NJT over the Delaware Mem. Bridge and be done with it. Make the whole length of the NJT be I-95! That would have been a more logical routing anyway for anyone using I-95 for a long north/south trip along the east coast. But I guess politics dictated that Penna. and the major city of Philadelphia should get a piece of it and that's how we got where we are now I guess.  Well, I suppose it all looked good on paper in the late 1950's anyway.

vdeane

Quote from: CentralPAguy on October 20, 2015, 05:40:49 PM
Well, regardless whether or not it is logical, its the PTC's responsibility, and they can't just say "fuck Pittsburgh (or any other part of the state with PTC-maintained roads)"  just for the sake of helping NYC and NJ. How far should it be pushed, anyway? Should they cease all construction and maintenance (including repaving, bridge maintenance etc) spending on every inch of the Turnpike system that isn't related to the interchange just so that you can have your I-95 connection that many (I suspect including you) probably wouldn't use anyway?
If the PTC gave the interchange the same resources they're giving the Pittsburgh freeways, the interchange could be done in two years, tops.  The whole thing, not just the two flyovers they're doing now.  And it would cost a lot less than those freeways because it's just an interchange.

Having the interchange around would assist quite nicely for anyone who wants to get from here to Philly and not pay the PA Turnpike's exorbitantly expensive tolls.  And at one time it would have made clinching Philly's interstates easier for me, though that might not be as true as it once was now that I've clinched present-day I-95 in PA.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

odditude

Quote from: SignBridge on October 20, 2015, 08:11:17 PM
I like the idea someone mentioned above re : I-95. Just remove it from Penna, route it straight down the NJT over the Delaware Mem. Bridge and be done with it. Make the whole length of the NJT be I-95! That would have been a more logical routing anyway for anyone using I-95 for a long north/south trip along the east coast. But I guess politics dictated that Penna. and the major city of Philadelphia should get a piece of it and that's how we got where are now I guess.  Well, I suppose it all looked good on paper in the late 1950's anyway.
by that logic, it definitely shouldn't go through New Haven, Providence, or Boston, either.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on October 20, 2015, 08:29:11 PM
Quote from: CentralPAguy on October 20, 2015, 05:40:49 PM
If the PTC gave the interchange the same resources they're giving the Pittsburgh freeways, the interchange could be done in two years, tops.  The whole thing, not just the two flyovers they're doing now.  And it would cost a lot less than those freeways because it's just an interchange.

Having the interchange around would assist quite nicely for anyone who wants to get from here to Philly and not pay the PA Turnpike's exorbitantly expensive tolls.  And at one time it would have made clinching Philly's interstates easier for me, though that might not be as true as it once was now that I've clinched present-day I-95 in PA.

You wouldn't use anything maintained by PTC if coming from anywhere east of Utica, either. It's faster to take the NJ Turnpike to Cherry Hill and take NJ 90 across or take US 202 and NJ 31 to cut between I-287 and I-95. My family has done all three. The first two are dependent on traffic conditions/time of day, while the Northeast Extension adds over an hour if you use the entire thing and slightly less if you use I-84 and I-80 to cut the corner.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Thank goodness we brought all of these ideas up.  Because it's not like they weren't mentioned in 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008.....

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 20, 2015, 11:07:05 PM
Thank goodness we brought all of these ideas up.  Because it's not like they weren't mentioned in 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008.....
Let's route I-95 up I-476 to I-84!

cl94

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2015, 11:40:57 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 20, 2015, 11:07:05 PM
Let's route I-95 up I-476 to I-84!

Don't give a certain user named after a flying animal any ideas.

There's a guy on the NYC Transit forums who does this at least once a week, rerouting subway lines instead of Interstates.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Henry

Well, there's the temptation of giving both NJ and PA I-95 splits so that the Turnpike south of I-276 would become I-95E and the part that goes through Philly I-95W. However, I don't see that happening, so an I-x95 (whether it be 695 or 895) should be a nice consolation prize for NJ. As the southern part of the Turnpike is well-known by its name alone, the designation should be secret, like I-595 is on US 50 between DC and Annapolis.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cl94

Quote from: Henry on October 21, 2015, 12:14:43 PM
However, I don't see that happening, so an I-x95 (whether it be 695 or 895) should be a nice consolation prize for NJ. As the southern part of the Turnpike is well-known by its name alone, the designation should be secret, like I-595 is on US 50 between DC and Annapolis.

I disagree. Sign it. Many people blindly follow the Interstate shield regardless of control cities. Note also that many GPS systems have a "use Interstates" option that many people use. Even if an all-Interstate routing takes 20-30 minutes longer and travels through a congested area, the system won't send them up anything that is not a signed Interstate, even if it is a freeway built to higher standards.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Henry on October 21, 2015, 12:14:43 PM
Well, there's the temptation of giving both NJ and PA I-95 splits so that the Turnpike south of I-276 would become I-95E and the part that goes through Philly I-95W. However, I don't see that happening, so an I-x95 (whether it be 695 or 895) should be a nice consolation prize for NJ. As the southern part of the Turnpike is well-known by its name alone, the designation should be secret, like I-595 is on US 50 between DC and Annapolis.

What would be the point of doing it?

roadman65

Most non road geeks think that the whole NJ Turnpike is I-95.  I have gotten into heated arguments with some people who claim that I-95 and all 129 miles of the NJT are completely the same route.  When I try to tell them that I-95 goes through Philly they look at me and say to themselves: Impossible.

No matter what you sign it people will think what they want about a certain roadway and call it whatever they wish.  Heck in Florida we change the name of the Old Dixie Highway to Orange Avenue because all the post boom people could not tell the difference of where Orange Avenue ended and Old Dixie begun even though both roads did not line up properly.  You had to use Zell Drive to go between the two until Orange County built an overpass over the CSX line to make both road continuously one alignment.

I doubt that people will realize anything.  Heck many motorists do not know that that yellow tab that reads EXIT ONLY with an arrow between the two words pointing downward at a lane means.  Also how many know the difference between a protected left turn and a promiscuous left turn as we now need the FYA installed at new assemblies now at signalized intersections.

Remember we road geeks are harassed by cops and called names just because we know what is right and what is wrong when talking or admiring roads in general.  Its because route numbers and street names are not a big deal unless it creates a serious issue with traveling that a non road geek will mildly get involved in action about roads.

Sheryl Crowe

spooky

Quote from: roadman65 on October 21, 2015, 03:17:40 PM
Also how many know the difference between a protected left turn and a promiscuous left turn

I would assume the promiscuous one handles more volume?

SignBridge

Roadman65 makes a valid point about people thinking the whole NJT is I-95. I understand a common issue is people driving north on 95 thru Delaware mistakenly stay on I-95 toward Phila. instead of following the right-hand split to the Delaware Mem. Bridge and NJT to get to NYC.

And (LOL) again I suggest that possibly the German Autobahn practice would work better. Just sign the split as "Philadelphia" and "New York", with maybe one or two other cities listed under those. That might get people's attention. 

odditude

Quote from: SignBridge on October 21, 2015, 07:31:25 PM
Just sign the split as "Philadelphia" and "New York", with maybe one or two other cities listed under those. That might get people's attention.
...you mean exactly how it's signed already?

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on October 21, 2015, 07:31:25 PM
Roadman65 makes a valid point about people thinking the whole NJT is I-95. I understand a common issue is people driving north on 95 thru Delaware mistakenly stay on I-95 toward Phila. instead of following the right-hand split to the Delaware Mem. Bridge and NJT to get to NYC.

And (LOL) again I suggest that possibly the German Autobahn practice would work better. Just sign the split as "Philadelphia" and "New York", with maybe one or two other cities listed under those. That might get people's attention.

How about a bunch of signs like this? Replace the shields accordingly, add New York as a control city, and toss I-295/NJTP shields next to the exit number.

SignBridge

No odditude, that's not what I meant. How about Philadelphia and New York completely spelled out on the top line of the signs. If you want to see what I mean check the signs on German Autobahn. There are some websites with photos. That "NY - NJ" on the third line of the existing signs doesn't really jump out at you.

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on October 21, 2015, 07:57:50 PM
No odditude, that's not what I meant. How about Philadelphia and New York completely spelled out on the top line of the signs in larger more bold lettering. If you want to see what I mean check the signs on German Autobahn. There are some websites with photos.

Yeah, using abbreviations doesn't really cut it. You need to spell it out.

roadman65

Quote from: spooky on October 21, 2015, 04:50:03 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 21, 2015, 03:17:40 PM
Also how many know the difference between a protected left turn and a promiscuous left turn

I would assume the promiscuous one handles more volume?
I like to use part time left, but everyone here likes what I attempted to spell.  Lets face it the English language sucks sometimes as many words are not sounded as they are spelled like in Spanish, French, etc.

I know our language is derived from many different languages so the way it comes out spelled is rather interesting. Being that this is a non formal forum who cares as far as I am concerned.  Long as you know what it means, that is all that matters.

When I print my resume, yes I look up every word as that is important as wearing the right attire to an interview afterwards, but to a bunch of guys I will most likely never meet in person and to just talk about roads.  Uh uh!  That crap does not fly!

Look I am not going to consult a dictionary each time I have to spell a word, as I have often done it too much here, because one person even corrected me because I did not end Colbie Cailat's name with "ie" and spelled her first name with a "y."  Even some of my college graduate friends with great jobs and respected in the community say "So what" if you spell a word or some wrong unless its your resume for employment, then you need to be 110 percent, but on a forum that talks about a hobby its kind of overboard.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.