News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

QuoteAnd that's just it; I believe a better term regarding the I-95 situation is it's the only original 2-di that still has a gap in its routing.
Some would say that I-70 has a gap as well even if it is small.  And that will last a lot longer.

NE2

Relevant thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14486

In particular, I-95 is not on its original alignment any more than I-80 is. Both were moved from a new terrain corridor to a parallel toll road.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PHLBOS

Okay people, let's clear the air shall we?

Yes, portions of I-95 and other Interstates were not built as planned thereby creating gaps in their original routings.  Most of us here know that.

If the gap was near/at the terminus of the route (I-70 in the Baltimore area); the route (at least as signed) was simply shortened to where the highway ended.   

If the gap occurred in the middle of the route (for I-95, such occurred at 3 metropolitan locations); an alternate route (or as I would call de-facto routing was chosen) was chosen.  The change at both the DC & Boston areas occurred much quicker mainly because the interchange connections (between proper & de-facto I-95s) were either already present or on their way (for 13 years, I-95 did a short piggy-back w/US 1 prior to the I-95/MA 128 Peabody interchange was completed).

Had an interchange w/I-95 & the PA Turnpike, inadequately-sized twin trumpet or not, been already present when the Somerset Freeway was cancelled; the de-facto routing of I-95 would have long since have taken place on the signs, maps & so forth.  I.e. no I-95 gap (via the de-facto routing) would still exist today.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

If using defacto routing is the case, then the whole length of the Turnpike in NJ should be just I-95.  The current Delaware Expressway should have been renumbered to I-895 or even given one the two interstates that took away two good numbers: 97 or 99.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on August 24, 2016, 10:29:14 AMIf using defacto routing is the case, then the whole length of the Turnpike in NJ should be just I-95.
Since all of I-95 in PA was nearly complete (the missing link at the airport would be completed 3 years later) when the plug was pulled on the Somerset Freeway, the FHWA decided to keep as much of the already-built PA stretch of I-95 in PA as such.  In general, 2dis normally go through cities not around them.

Had the northern stretch of I-295 in NJ & the western stretch of I-195 been completed by the early-to-mid 80s; one option to reroute I-95 in NJ would've been to have it exit off the Turnpike at 7A and have I-195 west of the Turnpike and the northern I-295 (the piece between US 206 & I-195 wasn't completed until 1994 IIRC) become I-95.  Such wouldn't have impacted PA's I-95 at all.  Granted, Exit 7A would've had to be majorly overhauled (moreso than what's recently been done) for the thru-95 movements.

Which begs this question: had the Somerset Freeway been built as originally planned; would Exit 10 off the NJ Turnpike need to be overhauled for the thru-95 movements?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NJRoadfan

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 24, 2016, 10:57:42 AM
Which begs this question: had the Somerset Freeway been built as originally planned; would Exit 10 off the NJ Turnpike need to be overhauled for the thru-95 movements?

Yes, along with I-287 from the NJTP to at least US-22. Right now that section of highway is basically parked during rush hour. Imagine what it would have been like with I-95 dumping all kinds of traffic onto it.

roadman65

Yes I watched the Piscataway Somerset mess grow.  I used to work on Campus Drive in Somerset, and it was a mess back in those years which were 1984 and 1985.  I imagine 30 years later it has gotten worse.  Adding I-95 to it in Edison would have made it far worse than worse.  Plus the Somerset Freeway, if had been built, would have opened up that corridor for sprawl that would have given I-95 its share of local traffic.

Just so you know before the mid 90's I-287 was only four lanes from US 22 to the dual carriageway split at US 202 & 206, and from I-78 to NJ 24.  Hard to believe, but it was only that.  Even from NJ 10 to I-80, back in the 70's it was only four lanes as well.  Only the Parkway, the Turnpike, Route 80 and Route 78 were the only six lane freeways other than I-287 south of US 22 when first established.  Even some may argue that the NJT was originally 4 lanes, as the Passaic and Hackensack River Bridges on the eastern spur have strong evidence to support that if you want visuals.

New Jersey boomed!  Hey look at the Parkway now at all the widening in Ocean, Burlington, and Atlantic Counties as the four lanes there is inadequate.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on August 24, 2016, 10:29:14 AMIf using defacto routing is the case, then the whole length of the Turnpike in NJ should be just I-95.
Since all of I-95 in PA was nearly complete (the missing link at the airport would be completed 3 years later) when the plug was pulled on the Somerset Freeway, the FHWA decided to keep as much of the already-built PA stretch of I-95 in PA as such.  In general, 2dis normally go through cities not around them.

Had the northern stretch of I-295 in NJ & the western stretch of I-195 been completed by the early-to-mid 80s; one option to reroute I-95 in NJ would've been to have it exit off the Turnpike at 7A and have I-195 west of the Turnpike and the northern I-295 (the piece between US 206 & I-195 wasn't completed until 1994 IIRC) become I-95.  Such wouldn't have impacted PA's I-95 at all.  Granted, Exit 7A would've had to be majorly overhauled (moreso than what's recently been done) for the thru-95 movements.

I suspect 95, especially in the area around Chester, will encounter what would've been the same fate as above.  It's 3 lanes each way with no shoulder, with a lot of traffic movement to and from 322.  Basically (for each direction), you have the 3 lane I-95 and the 2 lane 322 combining for less than a mile, but it's still only 3 lanes wide.  Adding to the issue is 322 East comes in on the left meeting 95 North without much merge room.

It's an area frequently congested.  It's going to get much worse.

95 in Northeast Philly is congested as well; however with the construction going on it should assist in improving things around the time the 95/PA Turnpike ramps are open.  How much traffic diverts from the NJ Turnpike to 95 thru Philly (and vice-versa) will determine how well the improvements can handle the additional traffic.

jcn

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 25, 2016, 09:20:01 AM

I suspect 95, especially in the area around Chester, will encounter what would've been the same fate as above.  It's 3 lanes each way with no shoulder, with a lot of traffic movement to and from 322.  Basically (for each direction), you have the 3 lane I-95 and the 2 lane 322 combining for less than a mile, but it's still only 3 lanes wide.  Adding to the issue is 322 East comes in on the left meeting 95 North without much merge room.

It's an area frequently congested.  It's going to get much worse.

95 in Northeast Philly is congested as well; however with the construction going on it should assist in improving things around the time the 95/PA Turnpike ramps are open.  How much traffic diverts from the NJ Turnpike to 95 thru Philly (and vice-versa) will determine how well the improvements can handle the additional traffic.

I've actually created a thread asking which route people plan on going once the ramps open.  A majority by an extremely wide margin say that they would still continue going on the NJ Turnpike and I can totally see why.  And one reason is because of the fact that I-95 can get pretty congested in PA.  By the time the ramps open, the construction in Northeast Philly will be far from being complete, and there's also the fact that between the time the ramps open and the second bridge is built, there's probably going to be tons of congestion at the bridge.  PennDot also has plans to improve the I 95/US 322 interchange, but it's not going to be for a really long time until that occurs.

Steve D

Quote from: roadman65 on August 25, 2016, 08:11:30 AM
Yes I watched the Piscataway Somerset mess grow.  I used to work on Campus Drive in Somerset, and it was a mess back in those years which were 1984 and 1985.  I imagine 30 years later it has gotten worse.  Adding I-95 to it in Edison would have made it far worse than worse.  Plus the Somerset Freeway, if had been built, would have opened up that corridor for sprawl that would have given I-95 its share of local traffic.

Just so you know before the mid 90's I-287 was only four lanes from US 22 to the dual carriageway split at US 202 & 206, and from I-78 to NJ 24.  Hard to believe, but it was only that.  Even from NJ 10 to I-80, back in the 70's it was only four lanes as well.  Only the Parkway, the Turnpike, Route 80 and Route 78 were the only six lane freeways other than I-287 south of US 22 when first established.  Even some may argue that the NJT was originally 4 lanes, as the Passaic and Hackensack River Bridges on the eastern spur have strong evidence to support that if you want visuals.

New Jersey boomed!  Hey look at the Parkway now at all the widening in Ocean, Burlington, and Atlantic Counties as the four lanes there is inadequate.

No - the NJT was never four lanes up north.  When originally built in 1951, it was four lanes from exit 1 to 11, and north of exit 11 to exit 18 it was six lanes.  The bridges you mention (Passaic, Hackensack) always had six lanes, but did not have shoulders until 1974.  That explains the extra piers that were added. 

SignBridge

Not quite correct Steve D. On the original 1951-built Turnpike, the six-lanes extended north only to Exit-16 (Lincoln Tunnel), where the right lane dropped into the exit. Both directions were only two lanes from Exit 16 to 18 as originally built. I don't know for sure when it was widened to six lanes from 16 to 18; I suspect as part of the Exits 16-17 reconfiguration of 1964, or maybe even before that. But I remember it being six lanes by the mid-1960's, riding it with my parents. Anyone?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jcn on August 29, 2016, 02:39:28 PM
I've actually created a thread asking which route people plan on going once the ramps open.  A majority by an extremely wide margin say that they would still continue going on the NJ Turnpike and I can totally see why.  And one reason is because of the fact that I-95 can get pretty congested in PA.  By the time the ramps open, the construction in Northeast Philly will be far from being complete, and there's also the fact that between the time the ramps open and the second bridge is built, there's probably going to be tons of congestion at the bridge.  PennDot also has plans to improve the I 95/US 322 interchange, but it's not going to be for a really long time until that occurs.

I-95 south from Philadelphia's airport to the Delaware state border is a typically PennDOT-terrible freeway, which appears to need significant maintenance. 

Headed home to Maryland from points anywhere north of Exit 6 on the New Jersey Turnpike, I will be taking the Turnpike or I-295  south to the Delaware Memorial Bridge.  I will drive the completed I-95 from New Jersey through Pennsylvania to Delaware once or twice to say that I've done it, but that will likely be about it.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 30, 2016, 05:54:53 AM

I-95 south from Philadelphia's airport to the Delaware state border is a typically PennDOT-terrible freeway, which appears to need significant maintenance. 

Headed home to Maryland from points anywhere north of Exit 6 on the New Jersey Turnpike, I will be taking the Turnpike or I-295  south to the Delaware Memorial Bridge.  I will drive the completed I-95 from New Jersey through Pennsylvania to Delaware once or twice to say that I've done it, but that will likely be about it.

Save yourself $5 and just drive 95 from Philly into NJ. :-)

Steve D

Quote from: SignBridge on August 29, 2016, 09:08:01 PM
Not quite correct Steve D. On the original 1951-built Turnpike, the six-lanes extended north only to Exit-16 (Lincoln Tunnel), where the right lane dropped into the exit. Both directions were only two lanes from Exit 16 to 18 as originally built. I don't know for sure when it was widened to six lanes from 16 to 18; I suspect as part of the Exits 16-17 reconfiguration of 1964, or maybe even before that. But I remember it being six lanes by the mid-1960's, riding it with my parents. Anyone?

Thanks - I forgot about that stretch.  My main point was that the big bridges were always 3 lanes, and were widened only for shoulders in the 1970s. 

SignBridge

Right Steve; I do remember the bridges not having shoulders when I was a kid. In fact, again in the mid-1960's emergency phone boxes were added at closely spaced intervals on both sides of the bridge roadways to expedite aid to disabled cars. The phones apparently were removed when the shoulders were added.

jcn

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 30, 2016, 05:54:53 AM

Yes, you are right that the particular stretch of I-95 is extremely outdated.  Penndot does have plans to revive that stretch, but it won't be for a really long time, unfortunately.  It won't be until after they're done with reconstructing the stretch that they are currently working on from Vine St. to Cottman Ave.  But, they plan to rehabilitate the bridges in Chester that cross over I-95 (and the CSX) sometime soon, and the Exit 3 interchange improvements might be complete before then as it's part of a separate project.

cpzilliacus

[Emphasis added in quote below]

KYW Radio: Next Phase Of Work To Begin On Connecting I-95 And Pa. Turnpike

QuoteCrews are preparing to start another phase of the construction project that will connect Interstate 95 with the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Bucks County.

QuoteCrews are starting to erect flashing message signs and preparing to move barriers this week in preparation for start of construction on the ramp at the busy Bensalem interchange.

QuoteThe bridge construction and I-95 connections with the Turnpike are expected to be completed by May 2019.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Gnutella

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 09, 2016, 10:29:12 PM

QuoteCrews are preparing to start another phase of the construction project that will connect Interstate 95 with the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Bucks County.

QuoteCrews are starting to erect flashing message signs and preparing to move barriers this week in preparation for start of construction on the ramp at the busy Bensalem interchange.

QuoteThe bridge construction and I-95 connections with the Turnpike are expected to be completed by May 2019.

Less than three years from now. At least there's now a somewhat firm timetable.

SignBridge

Ha!.........Bet ya' the PTC can't build a shorter bridge as fast as New York is building the new Tappan Zee Bridge.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Gnutella on September 13, 2016, 07:36:17 PM

Firm as a cotton ball.

It is almost at the point where these two ramps will take the same amount of time to build as it took the NJ Turnpike to rebuild and expand 25 miles of highway, adding nearly 150 lane miles and over 5 entire interchanges.

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 13, 2016, 08:21:58 PM
Quote from: Gnutella on September 13, 2016, 07:36:17 PM

Firm as a cotton ball.

It is almost at the point where these two ramps will take the same amount of time to build as it took the NJ Turnpike to rebuild and expand 25 miles of highway, adding nearly 150 lane miles and over 5 entire interchanges.

Yep.

Quote from: SignBridge on September 13, 2016, 08:02:23 PM
Ha!.........Bet ya' the PTC can't build a shorter bridge as fast as New York is building the new Tappan Zee Bridge.

And that shocks you why? Certainly helps that Tappan Zee has literally been falling down for 20 years.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: SignBridge on September 13, 2016, 08:02:23 PM

Maryland built 18+ miles of toll road with 8 interchanges in less time than  it is taking the PTC to partially complete that interchange.

Mr. Matté

The Philly area now has updated satellite imagery from May 2016 (last update was October 2011!), one of the areas is the interchange, here's a link to the placemark there https://toolserver.org/~kolossos/earth.php?long=-74.889727&lat=40.128875&name=Pennsylvania_Turnpike%2FInterstate_95_Interchange_Project but you'll have to turn the 3D imagery off.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 14, 2016, 12:45:01 PM
The Philly area now has updated satellite imagery from May 2016 (last update was October 2011!), one of the areas is the interchange, here's a link to the placemark there https://toolserver.org/~kolossos/earth.php?long=-74.889727&lat=40.128875&name=Pennsylvania_Turnpike%2FInterstate_95_Interchange_Project but you'll have to turn the 3D imagery off.

Could you post a screenshot? I don't think that change has rolled out everywhere yet.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

SignBridge

And it was reported today that the Tappan Zee Bridge so far is on-time and under-budget. That bridge will be finished before this PTC/95 Interchange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.