News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on April 13, 2018, 04:24:29 PM
I think of a perfect 3di as one that allows traffic between two big cities to bypass one or more big cities in between (or if the parent interstate bypasses a city, allow access into it). In this sense, 295 is only doing its job between I-95 in Delaware and the NJ Turnpike, which is doing most of the bypassing. The rest of 295 is a local commuter route.

Due to the elimination of the Somerset Freeway, 295's purpose kind of got shifted around a bit. Most people don't think of it as a bypass around Philly because 295 truly doesn't meet up with 95 the way it should have. And in New Jersey, 295 appears as THE main highway, functioning more like a 2-di interstate highway than a 3-di interstate highway

roadman65

It  would have been good to see the Somerset Freeway built as I-295 would have been a great alternate to I-95 being its eastern alignment east of the Delaware River.

I would have love to see how the single lane exit in Edison where the ramp to the Turnpike departs from I-287 would have handled through I-95 traffic as well as the two single lane Exit 10 SB ramps on the Turnpike doing the same though. 

Also the office complex on Hadley Road would not be there and the Kohl's on Stelton Road would not be there as that was the path of that particular freeway.  Part of Rutgers would have been effected too, but that university would have a direct main freeway accessing it though as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

Quote from: roadman65 on April 14, 2018, 03:16:14 PM
It  would have been good to see the Somerset Freeway built as I-295 would have been a great alternate to I-95 being its eastern alignment east of the Delaware River.

The I-95 Somerset Freeway in conjunction with the I-695 connector also would have provided a much better and shorter routing for the traffic wanting to use I-287 to bypass New York City.  That would apply to both PA I-95 traffic and NJ I-295 traffic, and in northern distribution to either I-87 northward or to I-95 in CT.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

roadman65

Yes and being the Parkway forbids trucks, that would have been ideal for commerce.  Now semis have to dogleg on I-287 in Edison, or use I-476 to I-81 and I-88 to NY's capital region, or for New England use I-476 and I-84.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Quote from: Alps on April 13, 2018, 07:33:26 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on April 13, 2018, 04:24:29 PM
I think of a perfect 3di as one that allows traffic between two big cities to bypass one or more big cities in between (or if the parent interstate bypasses a city, allow access into it). In this sense, 295 is only doing its job between I-95 in Delaware and the NJ Turnpike, which is doing most of the bypassing. The rest of 295 is a local commuter route.

So in New Jersey, only I-280 is a "perfect 3di" in your sense.
I was just replying to the notion that I-295 was somehow a perfect (even numbered) 3di. I am not arguing that it shouldn't be a 3di or anything like that. I would actually propose that I-287 is a nearly perfect 3di (partially) in NJ except for the little detail that it should be an x95.

theroadwayone

Some updates for those who care:

There have been some changes to certain Wikipedia articles in light of the signage changes. There's no longer a section about the "Trenton Section" of I-95 in the I-95 in New Jersey article. The northern terminus of I-95 in PA has been changed to I-295 in Yardley; that, and I-295's "current" north end is I-95 in Lower Makefield Township, PA.

Last but not least, one of the updates shows this sign at the junction between I-95 and I-676, showing the new control city of New York.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95_in_Pennsylvania#/media/File:Interstate_95_Philadelphia_sign.jpg

The rest of the resigning work for I-295 will be done in August.

odditude

Quote from: theroadwayone on April 16, 2018, 06:56:45 PM
Last but not least, one of the updates shows this sign at the junction between I-95 and I-676, showing the new control city of New York.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95_in_Pennsylvania#/media/File:Interstate_95_Philadelphia_sign.jpg
To be specific, this is the entrance from 7th St (Franklin St) at Vine St.

theroadwayone

Here's GMSV on the Delaware Valley (US 13) interchange from last September. If you look closely on the signs for westbound I-276, you can see some covered parts of the sign.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1225301,-74.8542076,3a,70.5y,29.54h,90.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3vVttsc2hVNvfsHgv06g_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

PHLBOS

Quote from: theroadwayone on April 16, 2018, 08:38:54 PM
Here's GMSV on the Delaware Valley (US 13) interchange from last September. If you look closely on the signs for westbound I-276, you can see some covered parts of the sign.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1225301,-74.8542076,3a,70.5y,29.54h,90.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3vVttsc2hVNvfsHgv06g_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0
I'm surprised that the EAST 276 legend on that BGS to the right isn't just a temporary mask over NORTH 95 or 95 NORTH legend.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

I'm just glad that the switch from Clearview back to FHWA Series happened just in time for this interchange.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

TXtoNJ

There have been some changes to certain Wikipedia articles in light of the signage changes. There's no longer a section about the "Trenton Section" of I-95 in the I-95 in New Jersey article. The northern terminus of I-95 in PA has been changed to I-295 in Yardley; that, and I-295's "current" north end is I-95 in Lower Makefield Township, PA.

I saw that in person this weekend. Think it should be "New York/Baltimore", but it'll be a cold day in hell before PA signs two out-of-state control cities.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: TXtoNJ on April 18, 2018, 09:53:48 AM

I saw that in person this weekend. Think it should be "New York/Baltimore", but it'll be a cold day in hell before PA signs two out-of-state control cities.

Going North, New York City is being signed. Otherwise. It would be Trenton...still out of state. Going south, Philly is the next city and the obvious choice. Why would PennDOT use Baltimore instead of Philly?

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 18, 2018, 10:50:09 AM

Going North, New York City is being signed. Otherwise. It would be Trenton...still out of state. Going south, Philly is the next city and the obvious choice. Why would PennDOT use Baltimore instead of Philly?
I believe TXtoNJ is referring to signage inside Philadelphia.  Even so, if PennDOT wanted to overlook Chester; Wilmington would more likely be used instead of Baltimore. 
Northernmost BGS along I-95 southbound that lists Wilmington.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

theroadwayone

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 17, 2018, 09:17:12 AM
Quote from: theroadwayone on April 16, 2018, 08:38:54 PM
I'm surprised that the EAST 276 legend on that BGS to the right isn't just a temporary mask over NORTH 95 or 95 NORTH legend.
Same here.

roadman65

It should not be Chester for sure to be consistent with New York.  IMO it should be New York and Wilmington.

BTW I-78 is signed for New York both at PA 33 and PA 611 (or its connector) near Easton.  From PA 33 PennDOT considers NJ to be a city like always the Garden State cities are useless to other states.  NYSDOT had Perth Amboy and Jersey City for NY 440 on Staten Island and that lasted very short as both bridges are back to being control cities once again.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 18, 2018, 11:35:12 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 18, 2018, 10:50:09 AM

I believe TXtoNJ is referring to signage inside Philadelphia.  Even so, if PennDOT wanted to overlook Chester; Wilmington would more likely be used instead of Baltimore. 
Northernmost BGS along I-95 southbound that lists Wilmington.

Like most big cities, there's numerous exits along 95 to enter into Philly.  Central Phila is used as a control city, then Phila Int'l Airport.  Control cities not involving Philadelphia aren't used until your Wilmington example.

Since there's not a major split, like, say, 75/85 thru Atlanta, there's no significant interstate highway diverge in Philly that could confuse motorists in regards to reaching the next big city.  The first sign that hints of Baltimore is approaching the 95/495 split in Delaware.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 11, 2018, 11:52:50 AM
Quote from: akotchi on April 11, 2018, 11:45:10 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 11, 2018, 11:23:28 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 11, 2018, 08:50:15 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 11, 2018, 08:42:22 AMBased on a small sample size of 1, there may be upwards of a full sign replacement program going on around Exit 60. 

On 295 this morning, this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/rLKeCrzRQg22 now has 4 shields on it, and reads something like:

NORTH   EAST        TO
    29       195     95  NJTPK
Was the entire sign replaced or did NJDOT just replace the three larger shields with four smaller ones?

I believe it was the entire sign.  It took me by surprise so I only had a last-second look at it. Now that I'm aware of it I'll try to grab a pic next time.

Per the design plans, the whole sign (each one in the sequence) is to be replaced.

Sweet!  I knew there was someone that knew the answer...I just couldn't recall who it was!

So this is interesting: I-95 is also being signed on 295 for Exit 56!  I first noticed it on this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/met41YPHv8B2 .  We've previously talked about this sign before because of the font issues on this fairly new sign.  I believe (and I noticed it at the last second) that the font is the same as before, leading me to believe they simply shifted the route shields around. 

Thinking about it, it makes sense: If the NJ Turnpike shield is on the sign, and it's 95, then the two should be together.  It should've been like that for a quite a number of years, but whatever...

If I recall, the routes now read: US 206, I-95, NJ TPK, NJ 68. 

Technically, none of that is correct, because the exit doesn't offer a direct connection to any of them.  The sign should read, in some fashion, TO 206/95/NJTPK/68.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on April 18, 2018, 09:28:32 PMIt should not be Chester for sure to be consistent with New York.  IMO it should be New York and Wilmington.
This whole which control city should be used (local or distant)? saga (which I believe caught a few of us (myself included) a tad off guard) reminds me a bit of some of the inconsistent listings of control cities for the I-95 signs in MA along the Yankee Division Highway (MA 128) stretch; Attleboro (MA 2 interchange only), Canton, Dedham, Waltham or Peabody (depending on location) vs. Portsmouth, NH or Providence, RI.  As for that area, I believe the old-school two-control city listings for one direction is justified for the Philadelphia area as well.  Those who write the MUTCD regs & guidelines need to realize that not all situations are a one size fits all.

Yes, the new TOTSO alignment of I-95 in Middletown Twp., Bucks County means that I-95 no longer serves the immediate Trenton area but the highway corridor (Delaware Expressway) itself still does.  That said & in the most ideal signing conditions (as previously stated) the dual Trenton-New York listings should be used for I-95 northbound signs between I-676 & PA 413.  If only one control city can be used in those areas; Trenton should still be used given its closer proximity to Philadelphia; which is what existed on the signs prior to last week.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 19, 2018, 09:40:28 AMSo this is interesting: I-95 is also being signed on 295 for Exit 56!  I first noticed it on this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/met41YPHv8B2 .  We've previously talked about this sign before because of the font issues on this fairly new sign.  I believe (and I noticed it at the last second) that the font is the same as before, leading me to believe they simply shifted the route shields around. 

Thinking about it, it makes sense: If the NJ Turnpike shield is on the sign, and it's 95, then the two should be together.  It should've been like that for a quite a number of years, but whatever...

Technically, none of that is correct, because the exit doesn't offer a direct connection to any of them.  The sign should read, in some fashion, TO 206/95/NJTPK/68.
If the same exact sign board is being used for those shield changes; one has to assume the smaller shields were placed on that particular sign.  Such wouldn't otherwise fit too easily.

Truth be told & given the current lack of a direct connection with the Delaware Expressway & the PA Turnpike; it would not have been wise to add I-95 shields to the Exit 56 signs earlier (unless a NORTH banner is/was included).  Will the Exit 60 signs along I-295 northbound should've have I-95 shields added as well?  While the sign at the NJ 29/I-195 ramp split has such the main exit ramp from I-295 northbound itself does not.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 19, 2018, 10:04:00 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 19, 2018, 09:40:28 AMSo this is interesting: I-95 is also being signed on 295 for Exit 56!  I first noticed it on this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/met41YPHv8B2 .  We've previously talked about this sign before because of the font issues on this fairly new sign.  I believe (and I noticed it at the last second) that the font is the same as before, leading me to believe they simply shifted the route shields around. 

If the same exact sign board is being used for those shield changes; one has to assume the smaller shields were placed on that particular sign.  Such wouldn't otherwise fit too easily.

Truth be told & given the current lack of a direct connection with the Delaware Expressway & the PA Turnpike; it would not have been wise to add I-95 shields to the Exit 56 signs earlier (unless a NORTH banner is/was included).  Will the Exit 60 signs along I-295 northbound should've have I-95 shields added as well?  While the sign at the NJ 29/I-195 ramp split has such the main exit ramp from I-295 northbound itself does not.

Yeah, it was probably a long history of ignoring that 95 was on the NJ Turnpike (especially since even the Turnpike didn't really sign it in the area), along with the confusion issue.  Being that akotchi is local, is on the project conversion team and has a passion for this stuff, he probably did a more extensive review of the area's signage than others would have done. 

You're right in that they have to be smaller shields on that sign.  I'll try to take a closer look tomorrow to see what they actually did.  On average, they're replacing about 1 sign panel per day.

jeffandnicole

Got a better look at the sign on the way home for Exit 56.  It appears to be a completely new sign.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1221076,-74.7184733,3a,75y,58.81h,88.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srCTJh1FIlcJd7uHmhX2HyQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 What is odd about this is that no SOUTH banner is used for US 206 as the next exit for US 130 is signed for NB US 206.  I do believe that it was signed for SB US 206 at one time, but can't be sure.  I do know the NJ 68 shield was added and the road name as both McGuire and Fort Dix were the control points originally.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2018, 09:37:22 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1221076,-74.7184733,3a,75y,58.81h,88.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srCTJh1FIlcJd7uHmhX2HyQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 What is odd about this is that no SOUTH banner is used for US 206 as the next exit for US 130 is signed for NB US 206.  I do believe that it was signed for SB US 206 at one time, but can't be sure.  I do know the NJ 68 shield was added and the road name as both McGuire and Fort Dix were the control points originally.

It may have been.  However, there is a mile or so gap between where Exit 56 accesses US 206, and where Exit 57 accesses 206.  From Exit 56, you can get onto 206 going both directions, and NJDOT helped with that by building Connector Rd.  In fact, 206 North is needed in order to get to the Turnpike from Exit 56 (albeit for just a few hundred feet).  So removing any cardinal direction was correct (if it existed) on 295's signs for Rt. 206 at Exit 56, although it should've been replaced with 'TO'.

Technically, Exit 57 should be 'North 130' TO 'North 206' as well.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2018, 09:37:22 PMI do believe that it was signed for SB US 206 at one time, but can't be sure.
It was.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 20, 2018, 09:37:02 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2018, 09:37:22 PMI do believe that it was signed for SB US 206 at one time, but can't be sure.
It was.
They could easily fit banners into the new sign as there was inches all around on this previous one.

As far as US 206 being unidirectional here at 56, yes its correct, but straight through US 206 NB is better to use US 130 though.  Yes it should not be implied that both US 130 and US 206 NB are together at Exit 57, and should have a TO banner.  Then again NJ when a local side street goes to a signed route, where FDOT will say the street name on top and then the "TO XX" underneath.  Exit 2 on FL 417 is signed Celebration Ave. TO US 192, while where here at Exit 1 on I-280 where the exit is signed TO US 46 and New Road and Edwards Road beneath it all (unless its been changed as its been near 15 years I drove that way).   FDOT is right, NJDOT is technically not.  It should be New Road to Edwards Road & US 46 if being correct.

Exit 56 should have the road name on top followed by TO US 206, NJ Turnpike, and NJ 68 followed by Joint Bases.  Heck NJ 68 should be on a supplemental and so maybe the Joint Bases.  Just leave Rising Sun Road to US 206, I-95 and NJ Turnpike all routes on bottom.

Sheryl Crowe

akotchi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 19, 2018, 10:45:24 AM

Yeah, it was probably a long history of ignoring that 95 was on the NJ Turnpike (especially since even the Turnpike didn't really sign it in the area), along with the confusion issue.  Being that akotchi is local, is on the project conversion team and has a passion for this stuff, he probably did a more extensive review of the area's signage than others would have done. 

For the record, neither I nor my employer are part of the project conversion team, but I know folks who are and have looked at their plans, so I know some details of what should be happening.

My passion is derived from commuting this corridor for over 30 years and seeing the various changes occurring in the regional signing configurations.  I moved to the area about 5 years after the Somerset Freeway was cancelled and travel extensively through central New Jersey for work, experiencing the traffic consequences of that cancellation.  Considering this is a project 36 years in the making and practically out my office window, it interests me.  I participated in a project many years ago creating a state-wide sign inventory database, and the 1993 change occurred during this project, so I got to be intimately familiar with the changes through that experience.

Most of the NJDOT overheads that change message are prescribed as new panels.  The only greenouts (or <insert color>-outs) are either exit numbers or temporary signs such as in the Scudder Falls Bridge work zones.  The shields on the new Exit 56 signs are the same size, but probably just closer together.

Including I-95 with the Turnpike in new signing appears, for the most part, to be filling in the signing from the opposite directions of the previous I-95 northbound routing through the gap, which used I-295 SB and I-195 EB, i.e. I-195 WB toward Exit 6 and I-295 NB toward Exit 60.  The rest, such as along U.S. 206 at Tpk. Exit 7; U.S. 130 at Tpk. Exit 6A; and I-295 NB at Exit 56, are adding the designation south of Tpk. Exit 7A where it has been secret up to this point.  As thorough as I would have done it . . .  :nod:

Curious to see Pennsylvania's changes, as I have not been able to get those plans, and nothing has been done to date.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.