News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on September 27, 2018, 04:14:14 PMAM Rush Time from Exit 7A to Route 90
Via I-95:  50 min
Via 195/295/73/90:  48 min

AM Rush Time from Exit 7A to PHL Airport
Via I-95: 69 min
Via 195/295/76:  60 min

AM Rush Time from Exit 7A to Chester
Via I-95:  77 min
Via 195/295/322:  65 min
In a nutshell, using I-95/Exit 6 is shorter in distance & quicker except during the AM rush... at least based on Google Maps.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 27, 2018, 04:36:31 PM
Quote from: famartin on September 27, 2018, 04:14:14 PMAM Rush Time from Exit 7A to Route 90
Via I-95:  50 min
Via 195/295/73/90:  48 min

AM Rush Time from Exit 7A to PHL Airport
Via I-95: 69 min
Via 195/295/76:  60 min

AM Rush Time from Exit 7A to Chester
Via I-95:  77 min
Via 195/295/322:  65 min
In a nutshell, using I-95/Exit 6 is shorter in distance & quicker except during the AM rush... at least based on Google Maps.

Pretty much.  I imagine heading NB in the PM may be better to stick to the other routes as well.  But that jives with my personal experience given that outside of the rush hour, 95 in Philly usually flows well. 

It will be interesting to see if there are any changes in these numbers once the mapping services start routinely routing people down I-95, which could affect the traffic.

bzakharin

How are you doing Gooogle analysis with Google not showing the interchange yet?

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: bzakharin on September 27, 2018, 04:56:09 PM

Good point.  Just did directions from MetLife Stadium to City Hall, and it took me over the Betsy Ross.  Taking the NJTP option isn't even an option.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

famartin

Manually adding the estimate from the starting point (exit 6, exit 7a) to where the interchange is now, then the time estimate from the point where the interchange is now to the destination (95/Betsy Ross junction, 30th Street Station, airport, Chester)

Alps

Quote from: bzakharin on September 27, 2018, 10:29:12 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on September 27, 2018, 10:12:49 AM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on September 27, 2018, 09:56:50 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on September 27, 2018, 09:06:33 AM
So does it now make sense if going from NY to Philly to take exit 6 off the NJTP instead of exit 4?
Depends on how much you want to pay. $16.80 to take exit 6 with EZPass, $11.25 exit 4.
That listed $11.25 does not include the bridge toll to Philly/PA: add $5 for the DPRA bridges or $4 ($3 for E-ZPass) for the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge.

So that Exit 18 to Exit 4 trip to Philly/PA would equate either a total toll ranging from $14.25 to $16.25 depending on which bridge one uses and whether or not one has E-ZPass.
You could use exit 6A and get onto I-295 there if you really want to use the DRPA bridges and save money. What's one extra bit of surface street if you are already using NJ 73 at a minimum if not also NJ 38 or NJ 70?
No you can't. 130 is the farthest from 295 at 6A and there's really no convenient way to backtrack. Tremendous time cost, may as well take Exit 5 at that point. (If you cared about saving money, you'd have taken 7 or 7A anyway.)
Quote from: famartin on September 27, 2018, 10:09:02 PM
Manually adding the estimate from the starting point (exit 6, exit 7a) to where the interchange is now, then the time estimate from the point where the interchange is now to the destination (95/Betsy Ross junction, 30th Street Station, airport, Chester)
Now that's dedication!

famartin

Quote from: Alps on September 28, 2018, 12:15:56 AM
So does it now make sense if going from NY to Philly to take exit 6 off the NJTP instead of exit 4?
Depends on how much you want to pay. $16.80 to take exit 6 with EZPass, $11.25 exit 4.
That listed $11.25 does not include the bridge toll to Philly/PA: add $5 for the DPRA bridges or $4 ($3 for E-ZPass) for the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge.

So that Exit 18 to Exit 4 trip to Philly/PA would equate either a total toll ranging from $14.25 to $16.25 depending on which bridge one uses and whether or not one has E-ZPass.
You could use exit 6A and get onto I-295 there if you really want to use the DRPA bridges and save money. What's one extra bit of surface street if you are already using NJ 73 at a minimum if not also NJ 38 or NJ 70?
No you can't. 130 is the farthest from 295 at 6A and there's really no convenient way to backtrack. Tremendous time cost, may as well take Exit 5 at that point. (If you cared about saving money, you'd have taken 7 or 7A anyway.)
Quote from: famartin on September 27, 2018, 10:09:02 PM
Now that's dedication!
Or shear boredom/fatigue (currently working night shifts, nothing better to do besides fail to sleep at that particular hour  :-D )

qguy

Quote from: famartin on September 27, 2018, 04:39:17 PM
...that jives with my personal experience...

Apologies in advance, but my inner pedant says, "It's jibes, not 'jives' (unless, of course, you're groovin' to dico or something at the same time)."  ;-)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on September 28, 2018, 12:15:56 AM

If you continued south, Exit 5 and Exit 4 are both cheaper than Exit 6 as well, despite the longer drive.  And Exit 3 is only 5c to 50c more expensive.

EricJV95

Quote from: famartin on September 25, 2018, 01:01:34 PM
Also, if we are going to insist on keeping local cities... why does the northbound Turnpike never say anything but New York?  Why not Trenton or at least Newark?  Newark is the biggest city in NJ and the Turnpike goes right through it, but heading northbound, until you got to the exit, you'd never know it.  Meanwhile, the turnpike passes quite a few miles east of Trenton but its the prominent southbound city.  Doesn't make sense.  Philly makes as much sense for southbound as New York does for northbound.
The NJ Turnpike needs to add Newark as a main Northbound city like they did New York. It's should be. It does go thru Newark and just past Newark Airport. No exceptions.

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: EricJV95 on September 29, 2018, 03:43:53 PM
Also, if we are going to insist on keeping local cities... why does the northbound Turnpike never say anything but New York?  Why not Trenton or at least Newark?  Newark is the biggest city in NJ and the Turnpike goes right through it, but heading northbound, until you got to the exit, you'd never know it.  Meanwhile, the turnpike passes quite a few miles east of Trenton but its the prominent southbound city.  Doesn't make sense.  Philly makes as much sense for southbound as New York does for northbound.
The NJ Turnpike needs to add Newark as a main Northbound city like they did New York. It's should be. It does go thru Newark and just past Newark Airport. No exceptions.

One has to remember why the SB Turnpike uses Trenton and why it was never phased out.  Before 195 was finished, the only way into Trenton westbound was Rt 33 at Interchange 8.  There was never an opportunity to remove Trenton except for the 6-9 Widening.  There are a number of obvious reasons why it was not going to be removed at that time.  Primarily in my opinion is the fact that it will always be a primary destination NB at Interchange 7.  The NJTA couldn't present themselves the problem of signing for it NB, but not all at SB.

The other rumor I've heard is that starting Newark NB at Interchange 1 could be the potential for disorientation with Newark, DE.

roadman65

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on September 29, 2018, 04:12:52 PM

One has to remember why the SB Turnpike uses Trenton and why it was never phased out.  Before 195 was finished, the only way into Trenton westbound was Rt 33 at Interchange 8.  There was never an opportunity to remove Trenton except for the 6-9 Widening.  There are a number of obvious reasons why it was not going to be removed at that time.  Primarily in my opinion is the fact that it will always be a primary destination NB at Interchange 7.  The NJTA couldn't present themselves the problem of signing for it NB, but not all at SB.

The other rumor I've heard is that starting Newark NB at Interchange 1 could be the potential for disorientation with Newark, DE.
Do what Indiana did at Indianapolis to avoid confusion with Columbus, IN,  They signed I-70 E Bound as Columbus, OH!  Now of course its not applicable due to Dayton rising to fame in both Ohio and Indiana, as both of their respected road agencies sign "Dayton" over either Columbus or Indianapolis, but nonetheless they signed Columbus, OH eastbound on I-70 from Indy before the change.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

The exception's lasted 65 years.

Alps

I think the idea is that most northbound travelers are heading to NYC or beyond, whereas people are getting out at various points southbound. True or not, volumes steadily drop south of interchange 10 except from 3-2 I believe.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on September 29, 2018, 10:57:27 PM
I think the idea is that most northbound travelers are heading to NYC or beyond, whereas people are getting out at various points southbound. True or not, volumes steadily drop south of interchange 10 except from 3-2 I believe.
While true that volumes drop, I'm sure a lot of those are hops on and off to various north Jersey points.

akotchi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 25, 2018, 12:18:52 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 25, 2018, 12:12:13 PM
Is it fully open with updated signage now or not?

It's fully open. 

Updated signage on all the pull-thrus will eventually be put up.  The important interchange - Interchange 6 - is complete.  US 130 has ground-mounted signage installed with I-95 on it in the area of (unsigned) 6A, but they still need to install the shields on the BGS signage.

There's a significant amount of work to do, and with the weather this week, it's not exactly working in the Turnpike's favor.

Six days later, and the condition is largely unchanged.  It appears that NJTA exposed the I-95 shields for all of the Exit 6 signing that used overlays to hide it previously.  The pull-through signs NB and EB at that interchange also show I-95.  Easy (not considering traffic control) to just remove the overlays.

The rest of the affected signs, including the 2-mile and 1-mile Exit 6 SB advance signs (installed by a different contractor from the other Exit 6 signs), appear to have been installed without the shield (and consequently without overlays).  None have had the shield mounted as of this morning.  Not sure when we will start seeing the shields on these panels.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

artmalk

Any new I-95 signage between exits 6 and 9?

roadman65

Look at Connecticut for example, heading NB on I-95 New Haven is used when you have to pass through Connecticut's largest city of Bridgeport to reach.

Then in Florida we use Miami on I-95 S Bound south of Jax ( a few places primarily in FDOT-D4 uses West Palm) but the exception has been Miami elsewhere despite I-95 heading right through West Palm about an hour before you reach Miami itself.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Can anyone really justify not using Philly as the main I-95 control city between Baltimore and NYC? The whole section from Baltimore to NYC needs an overhaul in control city signage, IMHO.

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on September 30, 2018, 04:41:30 PM
Can anyone really justify not using Philly as the main I-95 control city between Baltimore and NYC? The whole section from Baltimore to NYC needs an overhaul in control city signage, IMHO.

Because most traffic between Baltimore and NYC will take 95 into Delaware, then onto 295, over the Del Mem Br, and onto the Turnpike to continue to NYC. This is why Philly only pops up once you're in Delaware approaching the 295 split, and as far as I'm concerned, this is the correct way to sign this because it best matches the traffic patterns of the majority of drivers.

SignBridge

You're probably right storm2k re: signing for the majority's direction of travel. But technically Philadelphia should be shown because it is the next control city on I-95, and then New York.

Roadwarriors79

The NJTA has a link that shows their signing standards:

https://www.njta.com/doing-business/professional-services/standard-drawings

ALL of the northbound signage uses "New York" as the control city. There are also signs that read "North (Turnpike shield) to I-95, New York".

The southbound signage is basically what you see in the field today. SB control cities are Newark, Trenton, Camden, and Wilmington.

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: SignBridge on September 30, 2018, 08:43:51 PM
You're probably right storm2k re: signing for the majority's direction of travel. But technically Philadelphia should be shown because it is the next control city on I-95, and then New York.

Philadelphia probably should be the NB control city for I-95 north of Baltimore, but what motivation does Maryland have to change their signage? Unless a future signing project changes all the signs, Maryland will probably just use "Philadelphia" in mileage signs.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on September 30, 2018, 07:31:33 PM
Quote from: famartin on September 30, 2018, 04:41:30 PM

Because most traffic between Baltimore and NYC will take 95 into Delaware, then onto 295, over the Del Mem Br, and onto the Turnpike to continue to NYC. This is why Philly only pops up once you're in Delaware approaching the 295 split, and as far as I'm concerned, this is the correct way to sign this because it best matches the traffic patterns of the majority of drivers.

Well yes, if that is what you are doing, then of course, but I'm not disputing the I-295/NJTP signage, which should remain intact as-is.  But, for example, at the I-95/I-295 junction in Delaware, a majority of traffic is going to and coming from I-95 and I-495 north of I-295, not heading for I-295 and the NJTP.  Which makes sense given the lane layout favoring those movements.

I'd be fine to see Philly added in with New York in MD, or Baltimore added in with Wilmington on the NJTP SB at Exit 6, for example.  But Philly should not be ignored on signage the way it currently is.

NJRoadfan

NJTA already strayed from the standard drawings in regards to control cities on the GSP (both Cape May and Paramus are signed in the field). Its pretty silly that Exit 129 on the GSP is signed for Camden (SB ramp due to US-1 using Trenton at Exit 130) and Trenton (NB ramp) instead of Philadelphia.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.