News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

And here are some southbound ones:

famartin

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on December 07, 2018, 02:13:00 PM

I still think that those northbound pull-throughs up to & including Exit 12 with the blank space underneath the shields should list New York.  Since the practice of using George Washington Bridge as a control point is still being applied for the new signs through Exit 18E; why not use that (or G. W. Bridge given the size of the panels) for the Exit 13 & 13A pull-throughs?

Quote from: famartin on December 07, 2018, 02:23:02 PM

Now that the revised I-95 routing has become visible to the general public; will, at least, the interchange numbers north of the NJTP be changed to reflect the its mileage?  Exit 68 would become Exit 72 and Exit 69 would become Exit 74.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

AMLNet49

Quote from: famartin on December 07, 2018, 02:23:02 PM
And here are some southbound ones:

I know 95 and 78 are properly signed now, but my point is this is an organization that will not change unless forced.

But a good point that I forgot is indeed the fact that they allocated space for 95 shields on the reconstructed corridor and haven't installled them. I think you and other commenters are right in that, because they clearly have plans to install them, there is no excuse

famartin

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 07, 2018, 04:18:15 PM
I still think that those northbound pull-throughs up to & including Exit 12 with the blank space underneath the shields should list New York.  Since the practice of using George Washington Bridge as a control point for the new signs through Exit 18E; why not use that (or G. W. Bridge given the size of the panels) for the Exit 13 & 13A pull-throughs?
Agree.

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 07, 2018, 04:18:15 PM
Now that the revised I-95 routing has become visible to the general public; will, at least, the interchange numbers north of the NJTP be changed to reflect the its mileage?  Exit 68 would become Exit 72 and Exit 69 would become Exit 74.

It would make sense, but I'm not aware of any plans, not that I'd really be in the know. Maybe Steve has heard something. Alternatives could be to renumber the entire turnpike to either I-95 mileage or NJ Turnpike mileage.

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on December 07, 2018, 05:55:45 PMIt would make sense, but I'm not aware of any plans, not that I'd really be in the know. Maybe Steve has heard something. Alternatives could be to renumber the entire turnpike to either I-95 mileage or NJ Turnpike mileage.
While true, renumbering the stretch of I-95 north of the Turnpike can conceivably be done independent of whatever is ultimately decided/planned regarding the interchange numbering along the NJTP itself.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 07, 2018, 06:16:13 PM
Quote from: famartin on December 07, 2018, 05:55:45 PMIt would make sense, but I'm not aware of any plans, not that I'd really be in the know. Maybe Steve has heard something. Alternatives could be to renumber the entire turnpike to either I-95 mileage or NJ Turnpike mileage.
While true, renumbering the stretch of I-95 north of the Turnpike can conceivably be done independent of whatever is ultimately decided/planned regarding the interchange numbering along the NJTP itself.
While I agree theoretically, since the turnpike put all its own mileposts on that section, if they do milepost based exits, I can see the NJTA disagreeing.

vdeane

Honestly, I'd just leave them as they are until the NJTP is ready to redo the whole road with mileage-based numbers, since at that point it would be most logical to have them on the Turnpike's mileage.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ipeters61

Quote from: vdeane on December 07, 2018, 07:32:39 PM
Honestly, I'd just leave them as they are until the NJTP is ready to redo the whole road with mileage-based numbers, since at that point it would be most logical to have them on the Turnpike's mileage.
I think doing the NJ Turnpike's mileage makes the most sense, following the method of the PA Turnpike with I-276.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadsguy

Quote from: ipeters61 on December 07, 2018, 08:08:50 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 07, 2018, 07:32:39 PM
I think doing the NJ Turnpike's mileage makes the most sense, following the method of the PA Turnpike with I-276.

Sort of. The PA Turnpike's mileage continuing onto I-276 is easy because they split in the direction of increasing mileage. I-95 and the NJTP are reversed. There was a situation like this on the PA Turnpike, though, when I-76 started in Pittsburgh and the Turnpike was I-80S west of the Pittsburgh interchange. I-76 had its exit numbering starting from Pittsburgh, but the Turnpike's exit numbering was continuous from Ohio as it is today, so I-76 had two of every sequential exit number from 6 to 18.

But the NJTP Pennsylvania Extension is much shorter than I-276 or the former I-80S and only has one exit. It should have I-95 mileage, but the NJTP north of exit 6 should keep NJTP mileage and, hopefully one day, exit numbers. (The current unsigned exit 6A to US 130 could become exit 2, but I'd just have it be 50A or 51A depending on where they measure for the mainline exit number.)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

SignBridge

Kudos to famartin for a great set of photos! I might have missed some logic here. Do we know why NJTA shows a destination on the southbound pull-thru signs but not on the northbound ones?

BTW famartin, did you know it's illegal to take photos on the NJ Turnpike? LOL No kidding, it's in the Turnpike Authority's regulations. Not sure how strictly it's enforced, but you're lucky if a trooper didn't pull up while you were stopped on the shoulder all those times. They might have ticketed you.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: SignBridge on December 07, 2018, 10:02:23 PM
BTW famartin, did you know it's illegal to take photos on the NJ Turnpike? LOL No kidding, it's in the Turnpike Authority's regulations. Not sure how strictly it's enforced, but you're lucky if a trooper didn't pull up while you were stopped on the shoulder all those times. They might have ticketed you.

That's not specific to the NJ Turnpike. I'm pretty sure it's not legal to make non-emergency stops on any freeway in the country.

But, IMO, if you're willing to risk it, don't let that stop you. :)

famartin

Kudos to famartin for a great set of photos! I might have missed some logic here. Do we know why NJTA shows a destination on the southbound pull-thru signs but not on the northbound ones?

I know. True story though, twice this summer cops pulled up behind me with their lights on when I was pulled over to take pictures. Both times they asked what I was doing and I said, "taking a picture" , and both times they just said "ok, be careful"  and drove off.  :bigass:

Alps

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 07, 2018, 10:41:35 PM

That's not specific to the NJ Turnpike. I'm pretty sure it's not legal to make non-emergency stops on any freeway in the country.

One time I started a presentation to the NJTA with my own photos. They asked where I got those, then said that I wasn't allowed to have gotten them. *shrug*

famartin

Quote from: Alps on December 07, 2018, 11:33:34 PM

One time I started a presentation to the NJTA with my own photos. They asked where I got those, then said that I wasn't allowed to have gotten them. *shrug*
:-D

For the record (and so that I don't encourage anyone to do anything which could get them into trouble), I was apologetic when asked what I was doing (my response was really more like. "Sorry sir, I was just taking a picture").  Which still could've resulted in a ticket, but fortunately didn't.

ipeters61

Is this also the story of the $100 I-84 shield, Steve?  :)  http://alpsroads.net/roads/pa/i-84/
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

storm2k

I'm not sure why they don't sign New York thru at least 15E and 15W going NB. Beyond that, it makes more sense to sign the respective crossings since you're going to make a decision about which crossing you want to take to cross into New York beyond those points.

Alps

Quote from: ipeters61 on December 08, 2018, 02:05:58 PM

Is this also the story of the $100 I-84 shield, Steve?  :)  http://alpsroads.net/roads/pa/i-84/
Advice: It's cheaper to make two U-turns if you miss a sign photo than to stop and attempt to go back to it.

SignBridge

MNHighwayMan, you might be right about non-emergency stops being illegal on most freeways, but the photo ban is specific to the NJ Turnpike Authority.

famartin, you didn't mention, when you explained to the officer that you were taking photos, was this on the NJ Turnpike or some other highway? 'Cause if it was on the Turnpike, I would be very surprised if he didn't order you to cease taking photos. Again not sure what the current enforcement practice is, but I did read years ago that back in the 1980's there were a couple of scandals where the Turnpike troopers ticketed/arrested several people regarding this activity and there were court fights over it.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: SignBridge on December 08, 2018, 08:25:49 PM
MNHighwayMan, you might be right about non-emergency stops being illegal on most freeways, but the photo ban is specific to the NJ Turnpike Authority.

I didn't know that, huh. Seems a little ridiculous, but since it is private property, they can request whatever they want. I wonder what they'd say if they knew about all the photos that get taken and posted here. :biggrin:

ipeters61

famartin, you didn't mention, when you explained to the officer that you were taking photos, was this on the NJ Turnpike or some other highway? 'Cause if it was on the Turnpike, I would be very surprised if he didn't order you to cease taking photos. Again not sure what the current enforcement practice is, but I did read years ago that back in the 1980's there were a couple of scandals where the Turnpike troopers ticketed/arrested several people regarding this activity and there were court fights over it.
In Delaware you're explicitly not allowed to walk on expressways, according to the law (section 4126, a11): http://delcode.delaware.gov/title21/c041/sc03a/index.shtml

According to signage, at least on DE-1 and the Puncheon Run Connector (not sure about the interstates and DE-141), you can only "park" in case of an emergency: https://goo.gl/maps/E3JgXwjUjRQ2

EDIT: "Emergency parking only" on DE-141 (https://goo.gl/maps/qJ36tNUrBtR2).  Not sure on the interstates, but if it's the case on 1 and 141, then it must be so on the interstates.
Instagram | Clinched Map

bzakharin

Surely you can have passengers take photos while moving, or have a dashcam running and use stills from it. So you could get legal photos unless taking photos were expressly forbidden. Also is GSV breaking the law on the NJ Turnpike too? Or is it only illegal to stop to take a photo?

SignBridge

I believe all filming and photography by anyone in any form is forbidden by the Turnpike Authority's regulations. There might be a copy to view on their website if you want to take a look. Not sure about dashcams though, since they are a relatively new development.

A little history here: The NJTA has always acted like they were running a secure military installation. That was their mindset well before the post-911 era. Their supposed reason for the photo ban is safety concern, but I think that's only partly true. They seem to feel threatened by anyone's photos that might be detrimental to their image, which I find puzzling. Their roads and facilities are the best maintained, safest highways to found anywhere.

And if I remember right from when I researched this matter years ago, similar bans do not exist on the Penn. Turnpike or New York Thruway.

jeffandnicole

Usually this depends on the Trooper and the situation. I'm a little surprised they didn't tell him to keep moving, but otherwise cops have their own particular laws they like to enforce. Yes, it's unequal enforcement, but most aren't out there to worry about every little infraction. I've heard if you stop up near the airport and trains in the Newark area they will be behind you in no time and will get you moving real quick there.

ipeters61

Quote from: SignBridge on December 08, 2018, 09:52:37 PM
I believe all filming and photography by anyone in any form is forbidden by the Turnpike Authority's regulations. There might be a copy to view on their website if you want to take a look. Not sure about dashcams though, since they are a relatively new development.

A little history here: The NJTA has always acted like they were running a secure military installation. That was their mindset well before the post-911 era. Their supposed reason for the photo ban is safety concern, but I think that's only partly true. They seem to feel threatened by anyone's photos that might be detrimental to their image, which I find puzzling. Their roads and facilities are the best maintained, safest highways to found anywhere.

And if I remember right from when I researched this matter years ago, similar bans do not exist on the Penn. Turnpike or New York Thruway.
That's weird.  I feel like documenting the old Turnpike arrow is very important! http://alpsroads.net/roads/nj/i-95/s5.jpg
Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.