News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Old Traffic Signals

Started by Alex, June 21, 2009, 09:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Here are a few old ones around Washington, D.C...

Also, for the DC guys on here, were the signals around the district originally yellow? I recall seeing a few older signals fading to yellow (for example, the pedestrian signal in the 2nd photo) and was wondering. Plus looking closely at the older signals, I saw paint that doesn't look original.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Andrew T. on October 01, 2010, 06:44:04 PM
There are still a number of wigwags clustered here and there in Wisconsin.  All of the following still stand:

Plymouth (Elizabeth St.)
Plymouth (Milwaukee St.)
Sheboygan (Martin Ave.)
Sheboygan (Saemann Ave.)

Sadly, this is a fraction of the number of signals that existed in northeast Wisconsin just a decade ago.

Speaking of wigwag signal, here the only remaining wigwag in Canada in Tilbury, Ontario near Windsor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xBdep4yRzo

Brandon

McDonough St and Joyce Rd, Joliet, IL:

Yes, it is a permanent wire span installation in Illinois; it is maintained by Will County (which typically uses the standard monotube poles).  The signal on the right used to host a 3M directional signal at the bottom for right turning traffic.

55th St and Cass Ave, Westmont, IL:

Classic Illinois truss with no backplate on the signals; maintained by DuPage County.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jjakucyk

*Gasp* a permanent span wire in Illinois (that's not holding just a flashing beacon)!?!?!  Yay for the truss though. 

OracleUsr

Does DC still have the flashing "WALK" signals?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

D-Dey65

See this?

It's on Brittle Road in Northern Hernando County Florida, for a recently abandoned mining road owned by Florida Rock Industries.

Ian

Quote from: OracleUsr on October 06, 2010, 11:31:20 PM
Does DC still have the flashing "WALK" signals?

Most of the pedestrian signals in DC are now LED hand/man countdown signals, so unfortunately, I don't think there are any left.
Youtube l Flickr

D-Dey65

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 02, 2010, 08:57:02 PM
Here are a few old ones around Washington, D.C...

(Images not related to this reply removed)
Patchogue, New York used to have signals like this at the intersection of West/East Main Street and North/South Ocean Avenue, except that it was elongated, and hung from a wire over the street along with the other normal signals. They were taken down in 1986, and replaced by No Left Turn signs.

Ian

^ That would be neat if you could find a photo of the Patchogue signal.

Ancient Eagle flatback on the far left while the rest are Eagle Mark IV replacements of the Eagle flatbacks (same 12-8-8 inch variety, even a 12-8-8-8-8 doghouse signal!). This is along US 13 northbound at DE 299 in Odessa, DE:

3M signals along DE 7 at DE 71 in Bear, DE:
Youtube l Flickr

D-Dey65

Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 20, 2010, 11:05:50 AM
You have no idea how sorry I am that I can't. It was originally green like every other signal in New York State, but once NY 27A was decommissioned it was painted yellow like every non-State route signal.

Ian

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 21, 2010, 06:22:43 AM
You have no idea how sorry I am that I can't. It was originally green like every other signal in New York State, but once NY 27A was decommissioned it was painted yellow like every non-State route signal.

Wait, so they completely repainted the signal just because the route it was on was decomissioned? That seems a little silly.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 21, 2010, 12:43:50 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 21, 2010, 06:22:43 AM

Wait, so they completely repainted the signal just because the route it was on was decomissioned? That seems a little silly.
I'd assume it was later repainted as part of a needed paint job vs. capricious repainting for the sake of yellowness.

Alex

Found this 1954 photo worth sharing on the Vintage Seattle blog.

Ian

A few really old ones in my area...

Youtube l Flickr

chesko

Hey gang,

I used to have a boatload of pictures from NJ; many of my own, as well as many from various internet sources.  Long story; I lost most of the files and I am trying to recollect and restore what I can.  Here is a sample of what I currently have (all pics taken by me except where noted)...ENJOY!

Newark solid cast GE Novalux, taken in 2003, signal replaced by 2005:

Old Marbelite with even older GO lens, Glen Rock.  Signal now replaced:

Stamped aluminum GE in Ridgewood,shortly before being repainted yellow and fitted with LEDs:

Stamped aluminum GE in Chatham (with old Marbelite on side):

Crouse-Hinds art deco crosswalk in Bloomfield (with newer ped signal):

Crouse-Hinds assembly in Bloomfield (pic by Cris McNally):

Crouse-Hinds crosswalk caution beacon in Nutley:

4-way American Gas Accumulator signal in Union City (since retrofitted with LEDs):

Solid-cast Horni signal in Union:

1950's GE with finial in front of much older gas lamp, South Orange:

Fiber-Optic pedestrian signal in East Orange (Chris McNally):

froggie

QuoteDoes DC still have the flashing "WALK" signals?

There's still a few isolated WALK/DON'T WALK (text, not symbol) signals scattered around DC.  Whether any of those particular installations flashes the WALK, I couldn't say.

florida

These used to hang behind what is now the Amway Center (in Orlando) on Division Avenue.

So many roads...so little time.

Ian

Sorry for bringing back an old topic, but I got to uploading a few photos of some abandoned Crouse Hinds signals at the Philadelphia Naval Base. Here is the Flickr album:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iccdude/sets/72157626035479232/
Youtube l Flickr

US71

I never got photos and they seem to be long gone, but Blue Island IL used to have School Crosswalk signals that were post mounted.

I can still see them in my mind's eye, but have no way to transfer that image into a real photograph
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MDOTFanFB

Here's an old one near my house:

And the closeups...

These particular ones are Type R's which were manufactured by Crouse Hinds sometime in the 70's or 80's. The vehicle lights are 8 inch, the pedestrian lights are 9 inch. All are yellow.

Now for a more modern example, here is a set that recently has been knocked down by some crazy driver  :pan:

Despite that, this is a typical Metro Detroit span wire set. Not sure about other parts of MI though. The signals here are manufactured by Eagle Durasig. These are 12-inch vehicle lights and are yellow, also at that intersection are 12-inch pedestrian lights which are black and also manufactured by Eagle Durasig. Around here, the newer pedestrian lights (black) have symbols, the older ones (yellow) are worded. I think these were installed in the late 80's or early 90's.

US71

Canton, MS March 2010. Probably gone, now

Clarksville, AR

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MDOTFanFB

Here's some I photographed this weekend:

Reduced size. You gotta take better photos to post them up so large.

hobsini2

I am really saddened by Illinois going away from the classic truss arm.  It's one of the things i like about traveling is seeing state unique signals.  Thank god Wisconsin still uses the "trumbone" but recently when i was up in Beloit, WI i saw a new signal on WI 81 just west of I-39/90 that uses the newer Illinois sytle.  blah!
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

MDOTFanFB

PAHighways

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.