News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Camden Adventure...

Started by Zeffy, June 16, 2014, 11:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

...Aquarium Trip. Sorry couldn't resist. Anyway, a few people and myself are going to the Adventure Aquarium in Camden (June 21st), and since I rarely cross south of I-195 in NJ (actually, I can't remember the last time I did such a thing, except driving along US 9), I have no clue what traffic is like. I know the I-295/76/NJ 42 reconstruction project is in the general area of that, but do I actually utilize that to get to Camden? Well, I'd rather not go out of the way, but of course, anything is possible.

I'm looking for some routing suggestions here. The most obvious route I can think of is to take US 206 south onto I-295 at the I-95/295 interchange in Lawrenceville, then go all the way south towards Camden and exit at NJ 70, continue on 70 until I hit US 30, take US 30 and arrive in Camden, then take Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Blvd into the waterfront area. Wait, I don't think I actually want to drive on that road. Trenton's version of such road is very...unpleasant, so I can only imagine that Camden's would be much much worse.

The next day I'm going to Trenton for an NJ History event in the Capitol Complex. As you can see, I'm really going places. Two cities in a single week!! That's a record for me (sadly). But, I'm an expert on that city, so I don't need help with that. Camden on the other hand? I've never been. But, then again, I suppose that's the general consensus as well.

As per usual, we are going to leave probably around 10 in the morning and get out of there by 5, because I've heard you don't want to be in Camden past the sun going down. This will be on a Saturday as well, so we are looking to avoid any traffic that we might encounter, which I suspect would be people driving down the Shore. If it wasn't painfully obvious, I live in Hillsborough, so I'm going to assume all of the routes we could take would utilize US 206 in some way. Either way here, I'm just looking for input on what is the best way to get there, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

P.S. That D.C. trip is still undecided yet. That's kind of pissing me off, since I really want to visit, but I have a feeling someone will pull a bullshit excuse at the last minute...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadrunner75

Since it's a Saturday, I would go ahead down 295 all the way to I-76 (Exit 26 on left) and then follow I-676 to Camden.  Route 70 is going to be mobbed with Saturday shopping traffic between 295 and 30.  I-76 will still be faster.  If you do decide to skip the excitement of the 76/295/42 project, get off at exit 40 for Route 38 West, which goes to exactly the same place as 70 (Airport Circle / Route 30 West), but I think might be a little faster and less congested, at least for the first half.

Camden itself isn't as bad as everyone says.  You'll be fine, even if you left late, if you stick to the main drag from the waterfront.

Zeffy

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 17, 2014, 12:25:45 AM
Since it's a Saturday, I would go ahead down 295 all the way to I-76 (Exit 26 on left) and then follow I-676 to Camden.  Route 70 is going to be mobbed with Saturday shopping traffic between 295 and 30.  I-76 will still be faster.  If you do decide to skip the excitement of the 76/295/42 project, get off at exit 40 for Route 38 West, which goes to exactly the same place as 70 (Airport Circle / Route 30 West), but I think might be a little faster and less congested, at least for the first half.

Camden itself isn't as bad as everyone says.  You'll be fine, even if you left late, if you stick to the main drag from the waterfront.

Thanks for the suggestions. Which exit would be best for the waterfront off of 676? I assume 5A, since the sign even mentions the waterfront area. And I'm sure Camden itself isn't bad (well, for visiting at least, although my friend who LIVES there attests that living isn't like it's portrayed on the media), and unlike some of the people who are going, I've walked in some of the not-so-good areas of Trenton before, so this isn't anything new for me, but it's rather the other people who are like "please leave before night otherwise I'm going to die here" and that sort of mentality.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadrunner75

Yes - 5A will get you to the waterfront, assuming you're using 676.  If you're using 30, there is a similar exit for MLK Blvd. as well.

Zeffy

So, MLK Blvd in Camden is actually pretty nice looking. A lot less scary looking than Trenton's MLK Jr. Blvd. Anyway, the trip went great. Me and my friends along with their brothers (Ages range from 9-14 years old) enjoyed the Waterfront area and the Aquarium. I was designated driver because my friends apparently trust me over themselves for driving (despite not having my own vehicle), so while I got to enjoy passing through the excitement that is the I-76/295/NJ 42 interchange reconstruction project, I couldn't take pictures because, well, I am not proficient enough to use my iPhone as a camera while driving, plus with my ADHD, the only thing I should be concentrating on is the road, so there's that.

The ride home I switched it up and instead of taking 676 like I did for the first half, I opted to take US 30 to NJ 38 all the way to I-295 and use 295 until I reached Exit 7a / US 206 North on the Trenton section of I-95.

So, here's my route log...

Departed: 11:05 AM (they drove to my house and then we swapped seats as I drove down to Camden)

* US 206 South to I-95/I-295 near Lawrenceville.

* I-295 to Exit 26 for I-76 West towards Camden. This was my first time utilizing a left exit, so it was I guess an exciting moment for me.

* I-76 West to Exit 2 for I-676 North towards Camden.

* I-676 North to Exit 5A for the Camden Waterfront / Martin Luther King Boulevard.

* Arrive at Waterfront.

Coming back home...

* Martin Luther King Boulevard to US 30 East. Boy, that Airport Circle sure was something else. I completely forgot about it as I changed my mind to use NJ 38 instead of reversing the way I came here. I am so glad that I avoided the actual circle part because I really despise NJ traffic circles.

* US 30 to NJ 38 East. Nice area along that route, well, east of Camden anyway.

* NJ 38 East to I-295 North.

* I-295 North all the way to Exit 7a / US 206 North.

* Shitty US 206 north all the way to Mercer CR 604 / Great Road.

* Great Road to Somerset CR 601 to US 206 North (again)..

* US 206 North until I reached my house, and they drove back home.

In total, I got a total of 4 new routes, but no clinches: I-76, I-676, NJ 38, and US 30.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Zeffy on June 21, 2014, 07:00:55 PM

* Martin Luther King Boulevard to US 30 East. Boy, that Airport Circle sure was something else. I completely forgot about it as I changed my mind to use NJ 38 instead of reversing the way I came here. I am so glad that I avoided the actual circle part because I really despise NJ traffic circles.

* US 30 to NJ 38 East. Nice area along that route, well, east of Camden anyway.

Airport Circle used to be a lot more exciting in its day.  I remember when it was actually a circle under the overpasses, before they added the traffic signals.  I just took this route yesterday across the Ben Franklin and out 38 east past 295.  The Cherry Hill Mall is almost unrecognizable to me with all the new stores and restaurants they jammed in front of the mall along the 38 frontage where the Woolworth's used to be.  However, one of the worst signalized intersections around remains here:
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=39.938962,-75.021987&spn=0.001978,0.00327&t=h&z=19

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.