News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Song Titles that are not obvious in the song's lyrics

Started by roadman65, June 28, 2014, 12:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Many songs have titles to them that are not at all mentioned in the song itself, with some of them not even being suggested at all.  Songs like Baba O' Reily by The Who or What She Wants by Wham do not make it obvious in the song when being sung that those are the titles of them.  In fact if you heard Baba O' Reily for the first time you would think the song is titled Teenage Wasteland or Wham's song is Somebody Tell Me for those are the two most sung phrases in the songs themselves. How many songs that made it to constant airplay or played around pop culture that you know of like these?

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

Dilemma by Nelly & Kelly Rowland, 2002

I think it is a very bad idea for artists to do this. It makes it vary difficult for people to find and buy the song, thus could result in loss of sales.

Scott5114

These days you can find any song you like (barring the relentlessly obscure stuff, of course) by typing a random snippet of the lyrics into Google. It will match one of several dozen websites that list the lyrics to dang near every commercially published song out there, complete with artist and title.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 28, 2014, 02:43:45 PM
These days you can find any song you like (barring the relentlessly obscure stuff, of course) by typing a random snippet of the lyrics into Google. It will match one of several dozen websites that list the lyrics to dang near every commercially published song out there, complete with artist and title.

If you can hear the lyrics correctly. Sometimes it's hard to tell what the lyrics are.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

roadman65

Not always like a song that Macy's Department Store always plays that has Push Push Shove Me Away in the lyrics does not come up in the search.  I google that one and it comes up nill, but bringing up similar songs by other artists, but not that particular one.  However, I found the correct title for a Judy Collins song just by googling some of the lyrics of the song. 

Both Sides Now is not mentioned in the lyrics of a song written and sung originally by Joni Mitchell and covered by Judy Collins.  The " I really.....at all" from whatever each verse is about sticks in one's mind, but google "I really don't know love at all" and it will lead you to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vtk

What's Up by 4 Non Blondes

Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles

Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin

Also, Shazam and SoundHound exist for identifying songs with a smartphone now.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

bugo

Pretty much any Smashing Pumpkins song
Many nine inch nails songs
Many Tool songs

hbelkins

Several Zep songs come to mind. "Trampled Underfoot," "Black Dog," "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp," "Carouselambra," "Achilles Last Stand" off the top of my head.

"Poem For The People," "A Song For Richard And His Friends" and "Dialogue" by Chicago.

"One" by Metallica.

If I put my mind to it I could probably come up with many more.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

"Old White Lincoln" by the Gaslight Anthem (probably my favorite band aside from Springsteen).

One that includes the lyric but doesn't seem obvious is Boston's "Something About You" (it'd be easy to think the song is called "It Isn't Easy," and indeed when Tom Scholz was working on the album he initially called the song "Life Isn't Easy").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

Most New Order songs (as well as their predecessor band, Joy Division)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

Actually Careless Whisper by Wham is another.  In fact when it first came out I thought that was What She Wants as for some reason that title fits that song more than it does the other one it was named for.  This was even before I heard the song's lyrics I assessed that notion.  I guess if a certain type of man could look like a Tom then a song melody can have a sound as well.

Sheryl Crowe

amroad17

"Train in Vain" by The Clash.  Never once is this phrase used in the song.
"South Central Rain" by R.E.M.  You would think the the song is "I'm Sorry" (which is the parenthetical title).  Of course, the way Michael Stipe mumbled through early R.E.M. songs, the title could have been sung.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

andrewkbrown

"The Rain, The Park, and Other Things" by The Cowsills in 1967. Heard during the dream fantasy scene in the movie "Dumb and Dumber."
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

Thing 342

Good luck finding out what "I.G.Y" stands for and what it has in relation to the eponymous song by Donald Fagen.

GaryV

This isn't anything new.  Examples:
"The Christmas Song" - lyrics "Chestnuts roasting by the open fire ..."
"America" - lyrics "My country 'tis of thee ..." - the title is often confused with "America the Beautiful"

mgk920

Quote from: roadman65 on June 28, 2014, 03:49:35 PM
Both Sides Now is not mentioned in the lyrics of a song written and sung originally by Joni Mitchell and covered by Judy Collins.  The " I really.....at all" from whatever each verse is about sticks in one's mind, but google "I really don't know love at all" and it will lead you to it.

Yes it is, several times (ie, the line "I've looked at love from both sides now").

Anyways, howabout 'Rainy Day Women' by Bob Dylan?

:spin:

Mike

bugo

This thread is pointless because there are literally millions of examples.

I recommend for the moderators to lock it pronto.

jakeroot

Quote from: andrewkbrown on June 28, 2014, 09:57:44 PM
"The Rain, The Park, and Other Things" by The Cowsills in 1967. Heard during the dream fantasy scene in the movie "Dumb and Dumber."

HOLY BALLS this is the last place I thought I would find this song. Thanks! (though I admittedly didn't look very hard).

--

Additionally, Baba O' Riley by the Who

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: mgk920 on June 29, 2014, 01:07:05 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 28, 2014, 03:49:35 PM

Yes it is, several times (ie, the line "I've looked at love from both sides now").

Anyways, howabout 'Rainy Day Women' by Bob Dylan?

:spin:

Mike

#'s 12 & 35.

Many songs by Dylan: Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, Bob Dylan's 115th Dream, From a Buick 6.
Every song but one on the album Anthem of the Sun, Wharf Rat, Black Peter, and New Speedway Boogie by The Grateful Dead
School Days by Chuck Berry
Norwegian Wood, Revolution 9, Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes by CSN
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

thenetwork

ROLLING STONES:  "Sympathy For The Devil" and "Bitch".

By the way, if you ever want to hear a great musical segue, play the long version of the song "Beginnings" by Chicago and then "Sympathy For The Devil"!

hbelkins

Quote from: Thing 342 on June 28, 2014, 10:10:31 PM
Good luck finding out what "I.G.Y" stands for and what it has in relation to the eponymous song by Donald Fagen.

International Geophysical Year. I remember when the song came out.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 29, 2014, 10:04:18 AM
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes by CSN

I believe that song title properly lacks punctuation, as does the movie title, Star Trek Into Darkness.  But I could be wrong I suppose.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Scott5114

Quote from: Thing 342 on June 28, 2014, 10:10:31 PM

I.G.Y. was the International Geophysical Year, which was more or less 1958. The song's lyrics describe the future as someone from 1958 might imagine it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman

And 99% of those web sites deliberatly misquote at least part of the song lyrics to avoid paying licensing fees.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

spooky

Quote from: roadman65 on June 28, 2014, 12:45:37 PM
What She Wants by Wham

The song you're thinking of is "Everything She Wants". It says "everything she wants, is everything she sees" in the first verse of the song.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.