News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Airport roadways

Started by empirestate, August 04, 2014, 07:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 06, 2014, 08:24:44 AM
Your guys don't know Gibraltar. The only way out of that rock is... crossing the airport runway.
Quote from: cl94 on August 04, 2014, 07:18:30 PMPearson

Damnit.

Oh, yes. The famous highway-runway grade crossing. Might be the strangest thing out there.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

english si

They are building a tunnel underneath the runway - a dual carriageway and a separate foot (and cycle?) tunnel.

What's really strange is why (despite not really de facto recognising the border's existence - even if de jure they have to) the Spanish love to generate huge queues at the border with draconian checks. Sure, Gibraltar isn't in Schengen, but most of those crossing the border are Spanish nationals commuting across. But Gibraltar is in the EU, so free movement of people is a fundamental law and really they can't justify more than a passport check, but queues can be hours long. The British guys mostly just wave you through (unless you are a Spanish boat performing an illegal survey of British waters).

PHLBOS

Quote from: froggie on August 06, 2014, 08:09:46 AMAlways seemed to me like a bit of a jumble, especially when PA 291 used to thread through as well.
All PA 291 did prior to its relocation (to make way for an extended Runway 17-35 at the eastern end of the airport) was run parallel to the arrivals/departures roadways; it acted as a through-traffic highway with access ramps to the airport located at the western end (the ramp from now-former-291 West is a jughandle). 

Prior to I-95 fully opening in 1985; this was the only route to PHL.  Way back when (1960s), there used to be a circle roadway that serviced the terminals.  Originally, I-695/Cobbs Creek Expressway was supposed to interchange w/I-95, PA 291 & the airport roadway system.  One can still see traces of ghost ramps and corridors (for 695) at the current I-95/PA 291/Airport interchange.   

Quote from: froggie on August 06, 2014, 08:09:46 AMRegarding the airport itself, PHL and CLT are the two airports where I've seen my longest taxiway wait times (upwards of an hour), even in good weather.
That's got more to do with those two airports being hubs for US Airways (now American), the layout of the airfield and the congested airspace (between NYC & DC in particular) than the roadway systems themselves; note: the latter two points are more acute/applicable to PHL.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadrunner75

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 06, 2014, 06:11:10 PM
Prior to I-95 fully opening in 1985; this was the only route to PHL.  Way back when (1960s), there used to be a circle roadway that serviced the terminals.  Originally, I-695/Cobbs Creek Expressway was supposed to interchange w/I-95, PA 291 & the airport roadway system.  One can still see traces of ghost ramps and corridors (for 695) at the current I-95/PA 291/Airport interchange.   
Just curious about what ghost ramps remain of the planned 695 interchange.  I remember when 95 had the gap by the airport, when the Girard Point Bridge abruptly dumped you off on Enterprise Avenue by the old overseas terminal with 95 starting up again just south of the airport.  The area where I would think 695 would have tied in would be in a relatively new (late 80s?) section of 95 where the airport access ramps are.  The only thing that stands out are the ramps to and from Bartram Ave. which look like they would have been aiming right for what appears to be the old 695 right-of-way, but I would think they were part of the 1980s construction.

roadman65

I noticed that Philly's Airport does not have its Departures and Arrival drop offs on top of each other.  The Arrival Roadway is beneath the parking structure with the bag claim building between the two roads.

Also I tried peeking on GSV of the new arrivals roadway and drop off at Newark Liberty and the images are literally blacked out.  I am guessing that the PANYNJ is afraid that the Taliban is going to use it to blow up the terminal or something that its forbidden to look at just like the Verazzano Bridge is not shown at street view because of the politics at the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority or whatever agency runs it now.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Old PA 291 lives on at the airport as the cell phone lot. After you cross thru a small opening to access the former 291 East roadway, you drive westward and the parking spots are angled/parallel on the roadway. Unlike all the things people don't like about the airport, this lot was perfectly designed: Well signed, easy to get to, and easy to access the airport when you get the call.

triplemultiplex

As critical inter-modal facilities, I am of the opinion that access highways for major airports should be developed as full access control facilities, connect directly to established freeways and given interstate spurs whenever possible.
Just as an example, someone brought up Charlotte-Douglas earlier; that access road should go straight to I-85 instead of the current situation of surface arterials and service interchanges that lay between the terminal and the city's freeway system.

And speaking of Charlotte, what's up with that railroad spur between the western and middle runways?  That looks like some sort of inter-modal freight terminal.  Wow.  Truck, train and plane can all converge on this one spot.  Impressive.  Well done, Charlotte.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

empirestate

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 07, 2014, 03:16:00 AM
And speaking of Charlotte, what's up with that railroad spur between the western and middle runways?  That looks like some sort of inter-modal freight terminal.  Wow.  Truck, train and plane can all converge on this one spot.  Impressive.  Well done, Charlotte.

Is that new? (Or old?) I'm not seeing where it is.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 06, 2014, 08:33:30 PMJust curious about what ghost ramps remain of the planned 695 interchange.

Stub at Access Ramp to I-95 from Airport Arrivals & Departures Roadway

Ghost Corridor (to the right of I-95 South) for I-695 branch-off 

Side bar: Much of the space/corridor used for the Airport Exit Ramp (Exit 12) from I-95 North was originally planned for the I-695 Exit ramp.

Prior to 2000/2001 when the ramp to the Departures Roadway was reconfigured (to accomodate Terminal A-West), there were a few more traces of I-695 ghost ramps/corridors but such were obliterated during that construction.

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 06, 2014, 08:33:30 PMI remember when 95 had the gap by the airport, when the Girard Point Bridge abruptly dumped you off on Enterprise Avenue by the old overseas terminal with 95 starting up again just south of the airport.  The area where I would think 695 would have tied in would be in a relatively new (late 80s?) section of 95 where the airport access ramps are.
Correct, that interchange was designed (in the 70s) with the I-695 connection in mind and built (in the 80s) with small stubs & spaces for a possible future connection. 

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 06, 2014, 08:33:30 PM
The only thing that stands out are the ramps to and from Bartram Ave. which look like they would have been aiming right for what appears to be the old 695 right-of-way, but I would think they were part of the 1980s construction.
The entire I-95 corridor from Exit 10 (northbound) to Enterprise Ave. was constructed in the 1980s and opened in 1985.  At the latter interchange, one can see the transition from all-concrete barrier (newer) to twin-rail/concrete barrier (older) along the sides.

One old plan originally called for the Bartram Ave. interchange to be a full-diamond interchange.  One empty overhead gantry along I-95 North in the area gives hint of a possible exit sign for such (note the light brackets at the bottom of the gantry). 
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 05, 2014, 10:55:06 AM
Quote from: -NCX75- on August 04, 2014, 08:05:23 PM
DFW Airport's roads are... interesting. I like the general layout, but man it's easy to get lost in the system if you aren't paying attention. Also, lots of left exits and odd engineering choices. Once they finish TRIP, the terminal renovations (which is enough construction as is) they should redesign and resurface the roadways, especially the ones connecting Spur 97/International Parkway (the main freeway through the airport) to the terminals. Those can get confusing. I will say that in my opinion International Parkway is one of the best drives in Dallas/Fort Worth though (the metro not the airport  :)), the only thing is, tolls.
The first thing that shocked/surprised me when I was at DFW is that one has to pay a toll just to get into the airport to pick somebody up/drop someone off w/out parking.

O'Hare can be similar to that.  If you use Mannheim, River Road, or go in/out via the Kennedy, it's free.  If you do as most people do, you pay a toll to the ISTHA for using the Northwest or Tri-State Tollways.  Should the west access ever be completed, you'll have the Elgin-O'Hare Tollway and O'Hare Bypass on the west side as toll as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Roadrunner75

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 07, 2014, 09:27:57 AM
I noticed this one, but I wasn't sure what that would have served with respect to 695.  It almost seemed as if this was meant for a tighter radius for the ramp to merge into 95 SB with the right side of the ramp maybe to allow a loop back to the airport entrance ramps from 95 NB.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 06, 2014, 10:04:06 PM
Old PA 291 lives on at the airport as the cell phone lot. After you cross thru a small opening to access the former 291 East roadway, you drive westward and the parking spots are angled/parallel on the roadway. Unlike all the things people don't like about the airport, this lot was perfectly designed: Well signed, easy to get to, and easy to access the airport when you get the call.
Great idea with the cell phone lot on their part.  Looks like from aerial, however, that you're forced to recirculate, rather than have another exit on the right to the old 291 southbound for when you get the call that the plane accidentally overshot PHL and landed in Omaha, and you have a lot longer wait....

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 07, 2014, 01:22:15 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 07, 2014, 09:27:57 AM
I noticed this one, but I wasn't sure what that would have served with respect to 695.  It almost seemed as if this was meant for a tighter radius for the ramp to merge into 95 SB with the right side of the ramp maybe to allow a loop back to the airport entrance ramps from 95 NB.
I used to have an old 70s overhead transparanecy that showed the interchange with all the I-695 ramps in it.  I made a paper copy of such and have it buried somewhere.  IIRC (going by memory here) that the would-be ramp from that stub would've went straight for a bit and then eventually swung right (to the north).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

TEG24601

I miss the old configuration of Sea-Tac Airport.  You used to be able to drive in circles for hours to kill time.  Then they had to be stupid where they placed the light rail station, and destroy the loop.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

jakeroot

Quote from: TEG24601 on August 07, 2014, 07:01:32 PM
I miss the old configuration of Sea-Tac Airport.  You used to be able to drive in circles for hours to kill time.  Then they had to be stupid where they placed the light rail station, and destroy the loop.

I could not possibly agree more. I understand the reason for the change, but the current u-turn location is ridiculous . . . they probably could have found a better location than Tukwila for a turnaround.

Also, for people coming from the south, the current access from International Blvd is very annoying. The left turn phase near the Raddison is not long enough.

bing101

lepidopteran

Then there's New York's LaGuardia Airport (LGA), specifically the "main" terminal (B).  Lots of sharp, tight curves, complete with a parking garage in the middle.  This is because the airport practically abuts the Grand Central Parkway, so there's not a lot of room to build out.  Two newer terminals, C and D, have simpler road layouts.  There's a ghost ramp in front of C that will presumably connect to the new road network when Terminal B is completely reconstructed, as is currently in the planning stages.  All three terminals have arrival and departure roadways on 2 levels.  There's also a Terminal A -- the Marine Air Terminal, which just uses local roads and has a separate exit off the GCP. They used to host those seaplane flights, and I think it's now a national historical site.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 07, 2014, 01:22:15 PM
Great idea with the cell phone lot on their part.  Looks like from aerial, however, that you're forced to recirculate, rather than have another exit on the right to the old 291 southbound for when you get the call that the plane accidentally overshot PHL and landed in Omaha, and you have a lot longer wait....

Personally, that's a good thing that there's only one exit.  Fewer ways to get confused about where to go.  Since the exits for the highways are directly after the arrival pick up area, it's actually very convenient just to go thru the arrival area then pick up the ramp for the road you need.

oscar

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 06, 2014, 08:24:44 AM
Your guys don't know Gibraltar. The only way out of that rock is... crossing the airport runway.

In Midway Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories, part of the Dempster Highway (NT 8) is the town airport's runway.  About a half-mile of the highway was specially widened and straightened for runway use.  The only obvious provision to minimize conflicts between road and air traffic is signs at both ends telling motorists not to stop on the runway.  I guess pilots, operating under visual flight rules (no control tower there), are warned to watch for cars and trucks passing through.

You can drive out of Midway Lake south toward the Yukon without driving on its airport's runway, but the Yukon's part of the Dempster (YT 5) also has a few runways sharing the roadway.

Fortunately, not a lot of air traffic using those runways, and the through-traffic ADT of the Dempster is pretty low too (at least in the Yukon, breaks 100 on a good day, IIRC). 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ghYHZ

YHZ — Halifax International

An new access road project has just started......

http://hiaa.ca/airport-authority/airport-improvement/roadway-improvement-project/

triplemultiplex

Quote from: empirestate on August 07, 2014, 09:07:46 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 07, 2014, 03:16:00 AM

Is that new? (Or old?) I'm not seeing where it is.

Down here by West Blvd & I-485.
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=35.19975,-80.96192&z=15&t=S
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

realjd

Quote from: Brandon on August 07, 2014, 10:51:59 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 05, 2014, 10:55:06 AM
Quote from: -NCX75- on August 04, 2014, 08:05:23 PM
DFW Airport's roads are... interesting. I like the general layout, but man it's easy to get lost in the system if you aren't paying attention. Also, lots of left exits and odd engineering choices. Once they finish TRIP, the terminal renovations (which is enough construction as is) they should redesign and resurface the roadways, especially the ones connecting Spur 97/International Parkway (the main freeway through the airport) to the terminals. Those can get confusing. I will say that in my opinion International Parkway is one of the best drives in Dallas/Fort Worth though (the metro not the airport  :)), the only thing is, tolls.
The first thing that shocked/surprised me when I was at DFW is that one has to pay a toll just to get into the airport to pick somebody up/drop someone off w/out parking.

O'Hare can be similar to that.  If you use Mannheim, River Road, or go in/out via the Kennedy, it's free.  If you do as most people do, you pay a toll to the ISTHA for using the Northwest or Tri-State Tollways.  Should the west access ever be completed, you'll have the Elgin-O'Hare Tollway and O'Hare Bypass on the west side as toll as well.

At least a few years ago the toll from one of the turnpikes (don't remember which one) at the O'Hare exit was something like 80 cents, was unattended, and took coins/exact change only. That's fine for a local exit frequented by mostly local traffic but it seemed incredibly hostile to do that at the entrance to the biggest airport at one of our country's biggest cities where there are a very large number of out-of-town drivers like myself. How the hell was I supposed to know I needed exactly 80 cents in coins to get to the airport? I'm hoping they fixed that by now. They should either go all electronic like most of the country or at least add a cash/credit machine to one of the lanes instead of the coin basket.

Joe The Dragon

they where manned and they took that out after I-pass was in place for a few years.

vtk

Quote from: cl94 on August 05, 2014, 11:24:55 PM
The main airport in Columbus, Ohio was somewhat simple until pretty recently, being connected to I-670 and every parking lot by an at-grade divided highway. Within the past 5 or so years, the access road was reconstructed into a semi-limited-access expressway that provides access to all intersecting local roads, parking lots, and businesses on airport property.

IIRC that was finished November 2011.

I remembered wrong.  A map I drew of the project for my mom states "Completion: 2009".
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

OCGuy81

San Diego's airport is pretty simple.  Basically just two loops going back to Harbor Blvd with large lots in the center of each.

http://tinyurl.com/nyeatfe

Orange County John Wayne Airport is fairly simple as well, basically a turn off MacArthur Blvd. But there is the nice connector from the 55 right to the terminal.   :D

As for complicated, I'd say (based on an earlier post) Newark looks insane.  Glad I've never had to rent a car there and drive that area!

formulanone

Quote from: OCGuy81 on August 12, 2014, 05:44:12 PM
As for complicated, I'd say (based on an earlier post) Newark looks insane.  Glad I've never had to rent a car there and drive that area!

EWR is a beguilwildering one to return a car at, but I figured it out on the third try.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.