News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Status of Clearview?

Started by bugo, September 02, 2014, 12:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on September 06, 2014, 11:13:24 PM
Quote from: sammi on September 06, 2014, 10:26:45 PM
Quote from: jake on September 06, 2014, 10:23:26 PM
That's an excellent map, Sammi. Did you make it?

I did. :) I've actually had it for a few months before this.

Also, what are the green/yellow dashes? I want to think that it means half and half,

Roughly half-and-half, yeah, or maybe in the process of switching. I don't even know. :P

but doesn't PA use Clearview extensively?

It does, and it's marked yellow on the map. Unless you were referring to New York?

In the case of NY, it means "NYSTA uses it by NYSDOT doesn't".  I don't know about Ohio and Iowa.

New York City and Westchester County use it. New street blades for the past few years in the City are Clearview and, among other places, the Bronx River Parkway has a few (ugly) Clearview BGSes.

In Ohio, ODOT uses it almost exclusively. The Turnpike used FHWA fonts after ODOT switched over, but I don't know if they have made the switch on signs they made themselves.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

freebrickproductions

I haven't noticed too much Clearview here in Alabama, but then again I have a hard time telling similar fonts apart.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on September 07, 2014, 12:34:54 AM
New York City and Westchester County use it. New street blades for the past few years in the City are Clearview and, among other places, the Bronx River Parkway has a few (ugly) Clearview BGSes.
Those signs are so bad I obviously purged the memory of making my BRP exit list from my mind.  And now I have to live with this unholy knowledge.  Thankfully I live in a location where I don't have to think about that on a regular basis.  The only Clearview around here is Thruway, which looks like supreme beauty in comparison to Westchester County's Clearview signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on September 07, 2014, 02:36:38 PM
Quote from: cl94 on September 07, 2014, 12:34:54 AM
Those signs are so bad I obviously purged the memory of making my BRP exit list from my mind.  And now I have to live with this unholy knowledge.  Thankfully I live in a location where I don't have to think about that on a regular basis.  The only Clearview around here is Thruway, which looks like supreme beauty in comparison to Westchester County's Clearview signs.

Albany Section's are tolerable. They don't hurt my eyes. Buffalo Section's are another story altogether. They even repeat the mistakes present on the original signs in some cases.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

DandyDan

I don't know about Ohio and Iowa.

There is plenty of Clearview in Iowa, but old signs not in Clearview are still plentiful as well.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

signalman

Quote from: Zeffy on September 06, 2014, 10:50:14 PM
Quote from: sammi on September 06, 2014, 10:04:48 PM
Quote from: swbrotha100 on September 06, 2014, 09:54:55 PM
How many state DOTs are using Clearview now?

This is roughly where Clearview stands, as far as I can tell:

where green states and provinces are using FHWA series, and yellow ones are using Clearview. (I don't seem to have any data on the territories.) There may be are some mistakes in the map, so please let me know so I can fix them immediately.

New Jersey uses Clearview on the street sign blades/signs in Somerset and Union(?) Counties, but that's about it. There was also one rogue installation of a Clearview overhead guide sign on I-676 for Exit 4.
New Jersey is using Clearview extensively.  I've seen many examples recently of perfectly fine and legible signs that have been replaced with ugly Clearview ones.

Zeffy

Quote from: signalman on September 07, 2014, 05:03:14 PM
New Jersey is using Clearview extensively.  I've seen many examples recently of perfectly fine and legible signs that have been replaced with ugly Clearview ones.

Where? All the new signs I've been seeing have been in Highway Gothic.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

signalman

Quote from: Zeffy on September 07, 2014, 05:06:30 PM
Where? All the new signs I've been seeing have been in Highway Gothic.
I've seen several LGS and distance signs on I-80 in Clearview, or at least what I thought was Clearview.  It may have been Highway Gothic, I am no font expert.  In all cases though, the font is ugly and there was no reason to replace the old sign.

bugo

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 06, 2014, 09:22:08 PM
I hate to get political, but I wonder if the planned rescinding of the interim approval of Clearview has anything to do with Obama's hatred of anything of the Bush administration.  After all, the interim approval was granted when George W. Bush was President.

Your tinfoil hat is waiting for you in the front room.

cu2010

In the case of NY, it means "NYSTA uses it by NYSDOT doesn't".  I don't know about Ohio and Iowa.

There are Clearview signs along NYSDOT roads. I know of the locations of at least three. It's not region-specific, either.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

cl94

Quote from: cu2010 on September 07, 2014, 05:58:28 PM

There are Clearview signs along NYSDOT roads. I know of the locations of at least three. It's not region-specific, either.

Where the hell are these things so I can take them out? I thought NYSDOT was a Clearview-free zone. Hell, they've been installing FHWA this week.

vdeane

I assume you mean like this?

I know the person who does signs for Region 6 (where these signs are most prolific) and he says that they're a contractor error and there won't be new signs installed like that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on September 08, 2014, 01:12:55 PM

I assume you mean like this?
[image]
I know the person who does signs for Region 6 (where these signs are most prolific) and he says that they're a contractor error and there won't be new signs installed like that.

Thank god. This state doesn't need any more Clearview than it already has. Bad enough that NYSTA and a few counties/cities use it.

freebrickproductions

I can honestly say I like the look of Clearview.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cu2010

Quote from: vdeane on September 08, 2014, 01:12:55 PM

It's not just Region 6, though. I've seen a couple street blades along NY104 near Oswego (R3), a direction sign along US9 in Wappingers Falls (R8), and a direction sign along US11 near Champlain (R7). The R7 example is a fairly recent install...then again, most R7 signage these days is getting worse.

I'm just saying that they exist. :p
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

CrystalWalrein

Newfoundland and Labrador and the Northwest Territories also use Clearview. I've also seen it used in Gloucester County in New Jersey.

seicer

I can't believe people are still complaining about its aesthetics years into it!

I believe Ohio has finally switched to all Clearview. All of the new sign installations on I-71 and I-75 in the southwest district are in Clearview, and new sign installations in Columbus and Cleveland (from last month) were in Clearview.

SteveG1988

If you want ugly, look at the DRPA signage, not even Clearview or Highway Gothic.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

bugo

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on September 10, 2014, 08:58:11 AM
I can't believe people are still complaining about its aesthetics years into it!

If it was ugly yesterday then it's ugly today. Car enthusiasts are still complaining about how ugly the AMC Pacer is and that's been nearly 40 years ago.

seicer

That DRPA signage has other issues. Is it "TO SOUTH County 644, SOUTH NJ 73, SOUTH I-295 and SOUTH NJ TPK" or does the south apply to just NJ 73?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bugo on September 10, 2014, 09:15:19 AM

If it was ugly yesterday then it's ugly today. Car enthusiasts are still complaining about how ugly the AMC Pacer is and that's been nearly 40 years ago.

Car enthusiasts with sticks up their asses, maybe.  The Pacer was a thing of beauty, an icon of its time.  Clearview not so much.

bugo

If you want to see ugly...

bugo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 10, 2014, 09:20:26 AM

Quote from: bugo on September 10, 2014, 09:15:19 AM

Car enthusiasts with sticks up their asses, maybe.  The Pacer was a thing of beauty, an icon of its time.  Clearview not so much.

I wouldn't say it was beautiful, but it was certainly iconic. I could have used a dozen other cars for an example, like the '58 Edsel (which I think was an attractive car) or the Pontiac Aztek.

Pete from Boston

Zeffy

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on September 10, 2014, 09:19:58 AM
That DRPA signage has other issues. Is it "TO SOUTH County 644, SOUTH NJ 73, SOUTH I-295 and SOUTH NJ TPK" or does the south apply to just NJ 73?

It only applies to NJ 73. NJ 90 ends at NJ 73 heading southbound where you'll get to I-295 and further along, the Turnpike if you keep following it.

Quote from: bugo on September 10, 2014, 09:22:13 AM
If you want to see ugly...

That's... that's probably one of the ugliest you can get with Clearview.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.