News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Status of Clearview?

Started by bugo, September 02, 2014, 12:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Quote from: Zeffy on September 10, 2014, 10:11:18 AM
That's... that's probably one of the ugliest you can get with Clearview.

That's saying a lot, because all Clearview signs are ugly. I sincerely hope that the feds ban the font from new installations and we can go back to the handsome FHWA font series.

jakeroot

Quote from: bugo on September 10, 2014, 11:10:19 AM

That's saying a lot, because all Clearview signs are ugly. I sincerely hope that the feds ban the font from new installations and we can go back to the handsome FHWA font series.

seicer

jakeroot

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on September 10, 2014, 11:10:19 AM

I don't disagree with the core of your argument, but I differ in that I argue there's a spectrum of good to sucky for signs, regardless of the typeface. The Creek Turnpike sign posted here would still be awful in FHWA Series fonts, because many of its issues are typeface-agnostic–the lack of margins, bad spacing in general, use of too narrow a series, etc. I think that if you have two identically designed signs and one is Clearview and one is FHWA Series, the FHWA Series sign is usually preferable.

Regardless of the typeface, I am sure we can continue to look to OTA and ODOT as the unparalleled leaders in the design and installation of ugly road signs.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Zeffy

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2014, 04:06:41 PM
Regardless of the typeface, I am sure we can continue to look to OTA and ODOT as the unparalleled leaders in the design and installation of ugly road signs.

DRPA says hi.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Scott5114

You can switch to Helvetica with the click of a button, but it takes active effort to suck this hard.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

KEVIN_224

I don't think I've ever seen Clearview here in Connecticut, save for one instance along I-84 in Waterbury.

As for your map Sammi, the only thing I thought when I saw it: Location of fans for either the Green Bay Packers or (CFL) Edmonton Eskimos! :D

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2014, 08:24:09 PM

You can switch to Helvetica with the click of a button, but it takes active effort to suck this hard.

jakeroot

PurdueBill

Quote from: bugo on September 12, 2014, 12:14:55 AM

I know I've seen that one before, but only now did I notice that the E in LEFT appears to be maybe most of a chopped off capital B backwards. 

How does Oklahoma do it?  I bet Dollar Tree sells better signs.  :P

seicer

Why do they still build the gantries outward for lights? It looks like you can fit some nice fluorescent tubes up there :P

spooky

Quote from: PurdueBill on September 12, 2014, 08:43:05 AM
I know I've seen that one before, but only now did I notice that the E in LEFT appears to be maybe most of a chopped off capital B backwards. 

could also be a lowercase m on its side?

PHLBOS

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 11, 2014, 09:15:19 PM
I don't think I've ever seen Clearview here in Connecticut, save for one instance along I-84 in Waterbury.
That one has since been replaced about a year or two ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

Quote from: bugo on September 12, 2014, 12:14:55 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2014, 08:24:09 PM
<image snipped>
<image snipped>

Okay, okay, fine. DRPA sucks, but apparently Oklahoma has an even greater case of suck when it comes to signs.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Duke87

MTA signs are ridiculous too, but the Triboro still has a couple signs that are ridiculous in non-reflective button copy. Not sure whether to love or hate.

See for example the sign on the left here.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SSOWorld

Wisconsin has clearview only on the Madison Beltline between Park St and the Insterstate.  There will be no more installations of Clearview by WisDOT.  However, local munis are using Clearview on their signs (street blades in particular).
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

myosh_tino

Quote from: bugo on September 10, 2014, 09:22:13 AM
If you want to see ugly...

and it sits right next to a very nice looking Highway Gothic sign.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

bugo

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 14, 2014, 12:15:23 AM
Quote from: bugo on September 10, 2014, 09:22:13 AM
If you want to see ugly...

and it sits right next to a very nice looking Highway Gothic sign.

Somehow that is the perfect metaphor for the state of Oklahoma.

Laura

Quote from: Duke87 on September 13, 2014, 09:54:23 PM
MTA signs are ridiculous too, but the Triboro still has a couple signs that are ridiculous in non-reflective button copy. Not sure whether to love or hate.

See for example the sign on the left here.
The great paradox. I guess it would be the equivalent to being the less attractive sibling of a hot celebrity. Same great DNA, poorer results.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 10, 2014, 09:34:44 AM

Quote from: bugo on September 10, 2014, 09:29:53 AMPontiac Aztek.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

The Pontiac Aztek was ahead of its time. Look at any new car being produced today - the similarities to the Aztek are striking.

iPhone

ekt8750

Quote from: SteveG1988 on September 10, 2014, 09:07:37 AM
If you want ugly, look at the DRPA signage, not even Clearview or Highway Gothic.

Ugh that monstrosity pulled me out of lurking to complain about DRPA's god awful Helvetica signs. It's bad enough I've gotta pay $5 a pop to go over their bridges but then my toll goes toward shitty signs like that?  :banghead:

Brandon

Quote from: spooky on September 12, 2014, 09:48:42 AM
Quote from: PurdueBill on September 12, 2014, 08:43:05 AM

could also be a lowercase m on its side?

No, that's a cut B.  An m would have a tab on the left side, and both arches would be of equal size.  This one has arches of two different sizes; hence, it must be a B.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.