News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Damaged Signs

Started by Ian, July 23, 2009, 08:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctsignguy

Quote from: roadman on August 04, 2012, 10:53:18 PM
Quote from: Takumi on August 04, 2012, 10:22:27 PM
Any idea how old that is? The arrow under it looks much newer.

Anybody know when ConnDOT discontinued the use of plywood for permanent route markers.  That would provide a rough clue as to the age of the sign.

Jeff at the ConnDOT Sign Shop advised me that they stopped making wood signs in the late 70s, but still used what they had in stock or in the field garages until they started wholesale replacements of the wood signs with metal signs in the mid-80s...so at the time, the sign was probably at least 30 years old, but i cant say how long it had actually been hanging around when i took its portrait
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

roadman

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 04, 2012, 04:33:42 PM
Saw some similar (but not as extensive) damage on the same roadtrip the last photo I posted was shot on:

Interesting how the 64 information was left off the replacement BGS, and appears on the left upright instead - almost as an afterthought (or perhaps in reponse to complaints?).  I know many state DOTs are frugal about replacing OH supports, but this is just really poor signing design on VDOT's part.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vtk

On SB I-71 in OH just after either Exit 169 or Exit 165, it looks like a large vehicle went off-road for about a hundred yards, blasting through a sign or three in the process.  One of those signs listed the distances to I-270 and Cincinnati, and is now in about a dozen pieces scattered along the highway embankment.  Unfortunately, as often as I drive past for work, I don't think I can get a decent photo myself if I'm on the clock.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Roadgeek Adam

There was a gun club up CR 47 a bit. Clearly people in Shandaken don't have much to do in their spare time.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: roadman on August 06, 2012, 08:24:37 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 04, 2012, 04:33:42 PM
Saw some similar (but not as extensive) damage on the same roadtrip the last photo I posted was shot on:

Interesting how the 64 information was left off the replacement BGS, and appears on the left upright instead - almost as an afterthought (or perhaps in reponse to complaints?).  I know many state DOTs are frugal about replacing OH supports, but this is just really poor signing design on VDOT's part.

The funny thing is this isn't even the only time VDOT's done this to 64. The eastbound signage for 64 at the north end of 664 in Hampton, VA also relegates the shield to a standalone, with the overhead sign just reading "Downtown Hampton / Norfolk / Va Beach". I believe the old sign had "Downtown Hampton" as a patch over something, so it may have originally been left off, which would have left room for a shield. The clearview replacement, however, is a carbon copy.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

WillWeaverRVA

Indeed, there has never been a shield on that BGS, and it's always been on the left upright. That sign is a supplement to the one that appears at the actual I-95/I-64 split in downtown Richmond, which is behind where this picture was taken.

The Clearview sign is new, though, and is actually not a carbon copy - the sign that was there before only mentioned 3rd Street and not the Greater Richmond Convention Center.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

amroad17

The "Downtown Hampton" patch covers the original I-64 EAST part of the sign, which was there when I-664 first opened.  Between 1996-2000 is when the sign was greened over.  Probably Hampton wanted some mention on the sign even though one is already in the city itself.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

roadman

Quote from: amroad17 on August 08, 2012, 09:05:34 AM
The "Downtown Hampton" patch covers the original I-64 EAST part of the sign, which was there when I-664 first opened.  Between 1996-2000 is when the sign was greened over.  Probably Hampton wanted some mention on the sign even though one is already in the city itself.

In other words, VDOT did what engineers refer to as "Warrant 15" (political favor).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on August 06, 2012, 11:07:52 PM

There was a gun club up CR 47 a bit. Clearly people in Shandaken don't have much to do in their spare time.

This happens a lot in Oklahoma (and other Southern states).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 08, 2012, 06:44:28 PM

This happens a lot in Oklahoma (and other Southern states).

The story goes that, when Burma-Shave was in its heyday and posting hundreds of sign sets throughout the country, they changed from wood signs to aluminum for a short time for easier production and installation, as well as to reduce costs.  Not too long afterwards, they decided to switch back to wood.  The reason company officials stated for this "flip-flop" was because most wood signs can more easily absorb gunfire without affecting legibility.

Kacie Jane

1995hoo

^^^

That Calgary video is the subject of a thread on the "Canada" subforum, but I could see why people might not have seen it there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadsguy

I know Clearview is cursed, but that's just ridiculous! :wow:

EDIT: Removed video quote since it broke the emoticon and it's not really necessary anyway.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

ctsignguy

Boingy, boingy, boingy!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on June 04, 2012, 05:29:21 PM
Not damaged at the time of the picture, but both of these signs have now fallen over the last time I've passed them.
The city limit sign, not the gantry.

This sign just stumps me that it has no border. It just looks...weird.
As of the last time I passed these, both have since been put back up with no new reflective signs. (Though if it was Salinas, they'd probably be replaced with horrendous new Clarendon signs)

For a new addition, there's this on I-80 west in Fairfield:

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

Another one which I've passed numerous times but haven't got a picture...

I-70 WB at mile 86 in Ohio, there's a sign informing drivers they are entering Madison C unty.

Kacie Jane

kphoger

GMSV from August 2011 (recently updated); the sign is unchanged since the previous GMSV, which was from 2009.  The top line should read "Tlalnepantla".
http://goo.gl/maps/oWA3H
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

PurdueBill

Quote from: vtk on August 18, 2012, 11:31:28 PM
Another one which I've passed numerous times but haven't got a picture...

I-70 WB at mile 86 in Ohio, there's a sign informing drivers they are entering Madison C unty.

Yikes!  Mustv'e happened in the past year or so....despite several trips by there easbound, I haven't gone past there westbound since last November I think.  Street view from over 3 years ago shows the sign intact (minus a few reflectors) but losing letters since then isn't a surprise.  The old button copy along that stretch is starting to really age badly.  East of there there was an exit BGS that was missing about a quarter of the sign for a long while but finally did get replaced (sadly with Clearview).  The ~2003 sign replacement on I-70 between downtown and about exit 91 didn't reach that far west, and the new signage that came with the widening west of US 42 didn't hit it either, so there are some really old signs along there.

Now while losing a letter isn't a surprise, the particular letter that was lost is really something.  What were the chances?

Kacie Jane

Quote from: PurdueBill on August 19, 2012, 10:13:53 AM
What were the chances?

1 out of 6, I believe. :P

Smaller if we're counting every word on the sign.  I don't feel like doing the arithmetic right now.

vtk

Apparently I was living life on the dangerous side today.  I pulled over to get this pic (on my phone camera):

Central Avenue

Well it was worth it, because you have successfully made me giggle like a sixth grader
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

formulanone

A little north of Brownsville, TX on US 77/81:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.