News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I hate this song!

Started by allniter89, October 05, 2014, 03:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Laura on October 07, 2014, 07:14:32 AM

Quote from: roadman65 on October 07, 2014, 01:06:57 AMI suspect this is the same feeling someone who is an atheist has whenever a song referencing God comes on, or someone who isn't Christian feels when a specifically Christian song comes on.

No, not really.

This is a slippery slope.  I hope you don't like the song "Bargain" by The Who, as it's about Pete Townshend's willingness to sacrifice everything to attain spiritual nirvana through his guru, the Avatar Meher Baba.  There are certainly countless other examples of professions of faith in music that are neither your own nor overt.

Some of the most beautiful music is ecclesiastical music.  I love not only the face-value musical aspects of a lot of it, but the sentiments, bold and profound, even though they are not my own.

That's the beauty of art–getting oneself into the hearts and minds of others, and taking in what they offer us from there, whether we share it or not.

(I do not follow the Hare Krishna faith either, but "My Sweet Lord" is downright beautiful in my opinion.)

Laura

I guess what I was trying to get at about "My Sweet Lord" was that it's kind of a worshipful song. It's not so much the reference to another god - there are songs that I will listen to (and sing along with) where the singer makes a passing mention to a different belief or lack thereof - but the style of "My Sweet Lord" is similar to other Christian worship songs. That was kind of his intent - to show that eastern worship isn't so different from western Christianity. But I personally just can't listen to it because it reminds me too much of Christian worship music.

Example: from My Sweet Lord:

I really want to know you
Really want to go with you
Really want to show you lord
That it won't take long, my lord (hallelujah)

My sweet lord (hallelujah)
Hm, my lord (hallelujah)
My sweet lord (hallelujah)

I really want to see you
Really want to see you
Really want to see you, lord
Really want to see you, lord
But it takes so long, my lord (hallelujah)

Chorus from Sonicflood's "In The Secret (I want to know you)"

I want to know you
I want to hear your voice
I want to know you more
I want to touch you
I want to see you face
I want to know you more

ETA: I know this Sonicflood song is much later than My Sweet Lord, but My Sweet Lord was based off of other songs in the Jesus Movement of the 60's and 70's, which is what "In the Secret" is descended from.

florida

Magic! "Rude" (comes off as a douche white guy with wannabe reggae, whining about people not wanting him to marry a trashy girl)
Rihanna "Stay" (even the 'remix' of this still turns me away)

And that Baha Men travesty.
So many roads...so little time.

hbelkins

Speaking of Christian music, Stryper wasn't all that bad of a hair band.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Ian

I know I'm the minority in this case, but I actually really like EDM/house/trap/etc. music.

As for songs I don't like, a majority of the country songs can be added to my list. And if it's played on the radio 20+ times a day, you can guarantee that I hate that song.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on October 08, 2014, 10:58:20 AM
Speaking of Christian music, Stryper wasn't all that bad of a hair band.

They were pretty bad. No, they weren't as bad as Trixter or Firehouse, but they were worse than Poison and Warrant.

bugo

Quote from: Ian on October 08, 2014, 03:29:00 PM
I know I'm the minority in this case, but I actually really like EDM/house/trap/etc. music.

I like some electronic music. BT, Bassnectar, Alex Metric, Armin van Buuren, The Crystal Method, Deadmau5, Delerium, Moby, The Prodigy, Unkle, Tiësto, and more. You could even consider Nine Inch Nails an electronic band if you wanted to.

roadman65

Hocus Pocus (the yodeling song) sucks!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

signalman

Quote from: roadman65 on October 08, 2014, 04:34:07 PM
Hocus Pocus (the yodeling song) sucks!
That song is so horrible, I erased it from my memory.  Thanks for reminding me of my distaste for it  lol

Pete from Boston

I went out and bought the album the first time I heard it.  You should hear the rest of the album.  I recall that the liner notes also were not completely flattering. 

I have a great tolerance–embrace, even–of odd musics.

roadman65

I used to hate Lets Dance by David Bowie when it came out.  I now have grown to like it since.  I think it was because it was a first of its kind for Bowie as it had the sound that soon became the normal Rock.

1983 was a turning point year in rock history.  The sound became different from that particular year on due to artists like The Men At Work, The Police, Duran Duran, etc.  That particular Bowie track was part of that change that moved music forward.

As far as Hocus Pocus WDIZ in Orlando used to play it circa 1991 I guess because a heavy metal group happened to cover it but minus the awful yodeling.  Still the song sucks whether its main line is yodeled or jammed on a heavy metal guitar.

Sheryl Crowe

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadman65 on October 08, 2014, 09:27:06 PM
As far as Hocus Pocus WDIZ in Orlando used to play it circa 1991 I guess because a heavy metal group happened to cover it but minus the awful yodeling.  Still the song sucks whether its main line is yodeled or jammed on a heavy metal guitar.

which band?  Helloween covered it but this was in the late 90s IIRC.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Pete from Boston

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 08, 2014, 09:48:03 PM

Focus, of course.

roadman65

Maybe it was 1997 then. I say 1991 because that was a memorable year for music and WDIZ was one of the great stations before they went Golden Oldies and then Spanish after that.

Plus it was 1991 when Rock split.  Many stations would stop playing songs after that year and redefine the previous years music as "Classic Rock" and some like WHTQ which focused on pre 1991 rock music.  WDIZ still played all years songs up until a few years later and went heavy metal more so along with Stone Temple Pilot, Guns and Roses before Clear Channel (who owned them) focused more on sister station WJRR and changed their format to Golden Oldies.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

I remember "classic rock" being used in New York in 1987 by K-Rock.  I figured this was because too many old farts didn't like the 80s rock on WNEW. 

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

spooky

Yeah I think the classic rock format goes back to the 80s. It really became defined in the early 90s when the current rock stations became alternative rock stations, so the ones that didn't make the switch got branded as classic rock, even if they still played current rock music.

Laura

1983 was a turning point year in rock history.  The sound became different from that particular year on due to artists like The Men At Work, The Police, Duran Duran, etc.  That particular Bowie track was part of that change that moved music forward.

Yes it was!!! There was all of the awesome British synth-pop new wave music. There's a documentary called Made in Sheffield that talks about the scene there up to its mainstream explosion in 1983 (including bands like Human League, Heaven 17, Def Leppard, etc.).

iPhone

thenetwork

Agreed, although I want to say that it took until 1985 to make the transition.  It was around this time that radio station formats splintered into more specific formats, the last of the AM giants that had played top-40 music were pretty much dead, everybody (the the radio stations would play, at least) had to sound like Madonna or Prince, and music was becoming more and more synthesized.  IMHO, there weren't as many songs I really cared about or wanted to buy after 1985, and by the early 90's, there may be only one or two songs I really liked from each year.

Rushmeister

Quote from: DaBigE on October 05, 2014, 09:08:29 PM
Anything and everything by Rush. Their voices sound to me like fingernails on a chalkboard do for others.

Yes, the vocals in "YYZ" and "La Villa Strangiato" absolutely destroyed what might have been a couple of the greatest rock compositions ever.
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

hbelkins

"This Is How We Roll" by Florida-Georgia Line. It's the new theme song for the Sean Hannity show (he's friends with the group members) and I can't stand it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bookem

"Eye in The Sky" by Alan Parsons Project

"Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro (I still maintain Honey faked her death to get away from this goober)

"One Moment in Time" by Whitney Houston

"Living in The Past" by Jethro Tull

"Invisible Touch" by Genesis (some OK tracks on that album, the title cut is so not one of them)

"Cherry Pie" by Warrant

"You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone, who sang this about God, and God apparently responded by killing her career.

Any of the bubblegum pop songs about death that littered the airwaves during various periods of the '60s and '70s, but the genre probably hit its nadir with "Run Joey Run" by David Geddes.

The only reason Justin Bieber didn't make my list is because, I'm proud to say, I can't name a single one of the little shit's songs.

bugo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 08, 2014, 09:48:03 PM

Maiden did a cover released in 2006 as a B side to the Different World single.

roadman65

My friends and I used to hate Yes I'm Lucky by Mick Jagger back when he had his first solo album and WNEW in New York used to play that particular track out.

Peter Wolf's Lights Out Song (First hit after leaving J Geils) was very annoying with the spoken line "Lights Out uh huh, splish splish splash uh huh" that incidentally WNEW played.

Boom Boom Boom by some fly by night group in the very late 80's was a song that I (and many around me) thought was tasteless to say the least.

The 80's did not only change the sound of rock and music, but also changed the subject matter of the songs.  Boom Boom Boom, if released ten years earlier would have been banned from being played because of controversy.  It was after this time when songs were accepted more about sensitive and controversial subject matters that today is considered normal except by the church groups.

Sheryl Crowe

spooky

Quote from: roadman65 on October 10, 2014, 09:10:17 AM
Boom Boom Boom by some fly by night group in the very late 80's was a song that I (and many around me) thought was tasteless to say the least.

The 80's did not only change the sound of rock and music, but also changed the subject matter of the songs.  Boom Boom Boom, if released ten years earlier would have been banned from being played because of controversy.  It was after this time when songs were accepted more about sensitive and controversial subject matters that today is considered normal except by the church groups.

You mean this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXMrDu7374Y

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.