News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Texas style expressways

Started by bugo, December 25, 2014, 02:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Where are there Texas style expressways? A Texas style expressway is an expressway that is made up of the future frontage roads to a freeway that will be built in the middle. The infamous US 71 in Kansas City is the only one outside Texas I can think of.

NE2

Conduit Boulevard in Queens.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dfwmapper

I find fault with your definition of a Texas style expressway. A more accurate depiction would be a 4 lane highway with grade separations at major crossroads but at-grade intersections for driveways and other low volume roads. Usually divided, but sometimes "Arkansas superhighway" style with a center turn lane, or "I want to die from excessive speed differentials on a head to head crash" style with nothing but a double yellow line between opposite directions of traffic. Frontage roads without a limited access highway between them are actually quite uncommon in Texas outside of urban areas.

pianocello

US 218 in Waterloo, IA.

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 25, 2014, 04:28:17 AM
I find fault with your definition of a Texas style expressway. A more accurate depiction would be a 4 lane highway with grade separations at major crossroads but at-grade intersections for driveways and other low volume roads. Usually divided, but sometimes "Arkansas superhighway" style with a center turn lane, or "I want to die from excessive speed differentials on a head to head crash" style with nothing but a double yellow line between opposite directions of traffic. Frontage roads without a limited access highway between them are actually quite uncommon in Texas outside of urban areas.

I know what you're talking about, but I don't usually think of Texas when that is mentioned. This might be the midwesterner in me, but I associate that with Iowa and Wisconsin. On the flip side, if you were to say "set of frontage roads for a future freeway to go in the middle" or something like that, I would immediately think something along the lines of "Oh yeah, like they do in Texas."
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

TEG24601

I've seen a few of these in Michigan, where the Michigan Expressway was built with enough space in the middle to accommodate a freeway, but it was never completed.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

lordsutch

I believe the 215 beltway in Las Vegas was/is partially built this way in its initial configuration.

bugo

We're not talking about the same thing. The Texas style expressway has at-grades and few to no grade separations. The difference is that they are very wide so a freeway can be built in the middle.

Scott5114

I usually associate this with Missouri, where the road bypasses major cities as a full freeway.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

pumpkineater2

AZ 85 is like this for a few miles south of I-10. The two carriageways are about 530 feet apart.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

dfwmapper

Quote from: bugo on December 25, 2014, 06:03:01 PM
We're not talking about the same thing. The Texas style expressway has at-grades and few to no grade separations. The difference is that they are very wide so a freeway can be built in the middle.
I know we're talking about different things. I just don't think it's accurate to use the term 'expressway' to refer to what you're talking about. AFAIK they're always referred to by TxDOT and other agencies simply as frontage roads whether or not a freeway has been built between them.

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadfro

Quote from: lordsutch on December 25, 2014, 05:01:47 PM
I believe the 215 beltway in Las Vegas was/is partially built this way in its initial configuration.

Only the southwestern portion between South Decatur Blvd and Tropicana Ave was initially built this way, and that entire stretch has since had the freeway constructed. There were very few adjacent businesses at original construction, so that stretch was basically a full-on expressway.

There is only one other section of 215 with frontage roads, between Las Vegas Blvd and the airport connector. Those frontage roads were built concurrently with the mainline (that was the very first section of the beltway that was constructed).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cl94

There aren't many of these out east, but I have a couple of NY examples:

-The median of Conduit Ave in Queens was planned to contain I-78, although this plan came long after construction

-For several years, a segment of the NY 33 expressway was not constructed in the median of Humboldt Parkway, with traffic being detoured to the current service roads. This example no longer exists.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

FreewayDan

California State Highway 55 south of SR 73 in Costa Mesa was once a Texas-style expressway prior to the freeway being built.  The frontage roads were labeled Newport Blvd.
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

AsphaltPlanet

Some of Quebec's expressways were built first with frontage roads with the express lanes built later
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

DevalDragon

I 94 between Kenosha and Milwaukee Wis - complete with 2 way frontage roads until recently.

mgk920

US 218 in Waterloo, IA.

Mike

NE2

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

vdeane

Has anyone mentioned US 218 in Waterloo, IA yet?

</sarcasm>
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SD Mapman

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

cjk374

Would Texas style freeways be qualified as a road with unused accommodations?  Or is the area in between the frontage roads not prepped to be paved just yet?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

codyg1985

AL 255 between AL 53 and Pulaski Pike in Huntsville, AL. It will be extended in this fashion around the north part of Huntsville to intersect with US 231/431 and US 72 east of Huntsville. The freeway portion of AL 255 from north of Plummer Road to AL 53 was recently completed.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

StogieGuy7

Quote from: DevalDragon on December 28, 2014, 03:02:59 AM
I 94 between Kenosha and Milwaukee Wis - complete with 2 way frontage roads until recently.

Yes, though the two-way frontage roads and the way that they detour widely around interchanges are not actually the way that Texas constructs their freeways. It's similar but not really the same design.

The "Texas style" freeway has multiple-lane one-way frontage roads and most on and off ramps actually connect to the frontage roads rather than directly onto the cross street.  And then there is the U-turn ramp which generally bypasses the traffic signal permitting access to the other side of the frontage road (and freeway).

The system is actually beautiful in it's symmetry and simplicity, yet has its limitations as well.  Which is probably why it's somewhat limited in use.   

roadman65

US 90 Business in LA where the route is still arterial.  It has the wide median for the future West Bank Expressway Freeway extension that will someday be I-49.

Also the existing US 90 B freeway was built in a wide grassy median of the original West Bank Expressway except at the Harvey Tunnel where the two carriageways came (and still come) together.

Yes US 90 Business was for seen as a future freeway corridor when built many decades ago.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.