News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: baugh17 on March 22, 2021, 08:25:40 PM
move it to the New York portion of the Bennington Bypass.

Apple Maps thinks it already is.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

J N Winkler

Random question:  is NYSDOT HQ located where it is (50 Wolf Road, Colonie) for the view of its flagship highway?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

I don't know, but I'm guessing no.  It's certainly a nice view from the 6th floor, though.  You can see all the way out to the Helderbergs, and at least several years ago, there was a hawk that was often seen in the area.  Main Office used to be located in the State Office Campus with Region 1 over at 84 Holland Avenue.  50 Wolf Road was originally the DEC building.  Then DEC moved downtown and Main Office moved to its present location.  Region 1, meanwhile, went over to downtown Schenectady for a few years before moving in with Main Office.

There were plans to move Region 1 and Main Office in with the Thruway Authority, but those have since been abandoned as far as I'm aware.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Nah.  NYSDOT MO moved from the State Office Campus because Building 4 was falling apart.  50 Wolf Road was simply convenient.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

snowc

Quote from: Rothman on March 22, 2021, 11:09:16 PM
Nah.  NYSDOT MO moved from the State Office Campus because Building 4 was falling apart.  50 Wolf Road was simply convenient.
Anybody know why I-690 ramp to SYR from thompson and also exit 16N is closed? I saw them ripping it apart.  :banghead:

froggie

^ According to the NYSDOT STIP, they're replacing the bridge decks on Thompson over 690 and the railroad.

Rothman

Quote from: snowc on March 30, 2021, 06:06:18 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 22, 2021, 11:09:16 PM
Anybody know why I-690 ramp to SYR from thompson and also exit 16N is closed? I saw them ripping it apart.  :banghead:
Same reason the ramps on the other side were closed a year ago...bridge project...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

snowc

Quote from: froggie on March 30, 2021, 09:59:00 AM
^ According to the NYSDOT STIP, they're replacing the bridge decks on Thompson over 690 and the railroad.
Thanks froggie!

Buffaboy

According to the Buffalo News, state planners have decided that NY-5/Skyway should be converted into a 40-MPH "boulevard" rather than a 55-MPH expressway. I don't agree with this at all, mostly because this road goes through a predominantly industrial area with a connection to another freeway. I am not sure what they are envisioning this area to look like, because in other cities with similar highway setups, I don't think they would completely downgrade their expressways like this. I'm not understanding the rationale to do this. I also don't think they actually talked to the people who use this road everyday... that was me for a few years.

Ironically, the I-190 in South Buffalo actually cuts neighborhoods off... I'm not sure why they don't push to remove that highway as well, because the Skyway only cuts on the Canalside district. In addition, it's been reported that even if the Skyway is removed, they will still keep a portion of the deck and piers around for a pedestrian park. I thought the goal was to increase development space at Canalside. I don't understand who is planning these projects.

Edit: Are these the "planners?" This is whack!

Quote[Rep Brian Higgins and State Sen Tim Kennedy] want to also see a new on-ramp at Lake Avenue to take Southtowns residents to the 90 to connect to the 190, and a Thruway turning lane at Milestrip Road.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/weve-got-to-get-it-right-boulevard-option-gains-favor-as-skyway-review-moves-ahead/article_c8e65f06-873f-11eb-b8a7-979504e370e7.html
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

webny99

Quote from: Buffaboy on April 02, 2021, 09:31:45 AM
According to the Buffalo News, state planners have decided that NY-5/Skyway should be converted into a 40-MPH "boulevard" rather than a 55-MPH expressway. I don't agree with this at all, mostly because this road goes through a predominantly industrial area with a connection to another freeway. I am not sure what they are envisioning this area to look like, because in other cities with similar highway setups, I don't think they would completely downgrade their expressways like this. I'm not understanding the rationale to do this. I also don't think they actually talked to the people who use this road everyday... that was me for a few years.

Ironically, the I-190 in South Buffalo actually cuts neighborhoods off... I'm not sure why they don't push to remove that highway as well, because the Skyway only cuts on the Canalside district. In addition, it's been reported that even if the Skyway is removed, they will still keep a portion of the deck and piers around for a pedestrian park. I thought the goal was to increase development space at Canalside. I don't understand who is planning these projects.

I originally disagreed with the Skyway removal, but now it looks like there might still be a freeway connection to I-190. Is the new purple route a full freeway? If so, then I don't have so much of an issue with the removal.

RobbieL2415

Considering that NYSDOT went ahead and removed the eastern end of the Inner Loop, I have no doubt they will lobby for it here.
Granted, Ive never seen the Inner Loop busy enough to warrant it's existence and they basically let it crumble for the last 20 years.

cl94

Quote from: webny99 on April 02, 2021, 06:11:01 PM
I originally disagreed with the Skyway removal, but now it looks like there might still be a freeway connection to I-190. Is the new purple route a full freeway? If so, then I don't have so much of an issue with the removal.

Surface road.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Quote from: Buffaboy on April 02, 2021, 09:31:45 AM
My understanding is that there's a developer that wants to build in the space around the I-190 interchange, but they need that part of the Skyway and the associated ramps gone to move forward.  As for I-190... don't give them ideas!

(personal opinion)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Buffaboy

^^ that's an interesting one, but the developer might be waiting awhile for that

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 02, 2021, 06:18:32 PM
Considering that NYSDOT went ahead and removed the eastern end of the Inner Loop, I have no doubt they will lobby for it here.
Granted, Ive never seen the Inner Loop busy enough to warrant it's existence and they basically let it crumble for the last 20 years.

The difference is that Route 5 had an AADT of 36,000 cars in 2019 averaging 59 MPH. I'm not sure if I'm reading the right data but I found it here: https://gisportalny.dot.ny.gov/portalny/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=28537cbc8b5941e19cf8e959b16797b4.

Moving the expressway is a good idea. Downgrading it to a boulevard for (IMO) no reason but cost cutting is silly and shortsighted.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

webny99

Quote from: cl94 on April 02, 2021, 08:23:37 PM

Surface road.

In the diagram it looks like an interchange at South Park, but maybe more of a RIRO at Tifft (?).

If they're constructing seven new bridges and a new roadway anyways you'd think it would be at least expressway grade.

Buffaboy

Quote from: webny99 on April 03, 2021, 11:44:39 AM
Quote from: cl94 on April 02, 2021, 08:23:37 PM

Surface road.
If they're constructing seven new bridges and a new roadway anyways you'd think it would be at least expressway grade.

And that's why this makes no sense to me. We aren't talking about NY-198 here. We're talking about a heavily industrialized/warehouse area.

empirestate

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 02, 2021, 06:18:32 PM

Of course, removing the Inner Loop didn't make any sense at first either, until they resolved to also restore the street grid that had been disrupted by it. But initially, the idea was simply to raise the roadway to surface level, leaving just as much of a blighted barrier, except now also with pedestrian and cross traffic conflicts.

(I have to say, I was just in town for a visit, and the area around Charlotte Street at Pitkin is really disorienting!)

bluecountry

What's the deal with I-87.

1.  Is it ever going to have one uniform set of exit numbers?
2.  Why is it as part of the Thruway it is mostly 2 lanes south of I-90 despite being so close to Albany with little traffic, yet as soon as I-87 leaves the Thruway it adds a 3rd lane and has a lot more traffic than anywhere else (even the area right outside Albany) up to Lake George?

Alps

Quote from: bluecountry on April 07, 2021, 09:47:49 PM

2.  Why is it as part of the Thruway it is mostly 2 lanes south of I-90 despite being so close to Albany with little traffic, yet as soon as I-87 leaves the Thruway it adds a 3rd lane and has a lot more traffic than anywhere else (even the area right outside Albany) up to Lake George?
1. No, it'll reset at each state line (VA, MD, DE, NJ, NY).
2. Because people hate tolls.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on April 08, 2021, 12:21:39 AM

I-87 is in those states?

kalvado

2. Not just that. Tolls don't prevent heavy travel between Albany and Schenectady.

Albany sits in a valley at confluence of Hudson and Mohawk and is surrounded by mountain ranges (Catskills, Adirondack, Green mountains). 787 splits off 87 Thruway at almost Southernmost point of the valley. There is a lot more usable land north of that point (Mohawk valley, Hudson valley as hudson turns almost 90 deg in Glenn's Falls) than south.  (Upd) there is also a stretch of 6-lane free I-90 on the other side of Hudson serving southeast portion of the valley).
https://www.freeworldmaps.net/united-states/newyork/newyork-map.jpg

vdeane

Another thing to keep in mind that Albany is a major intersection of corridors.  There's I-87 to the north and south, I-90 to the east and west, and I-88 to the southwest (there's also NY 7/VT 9 to the northeast).  Traffic from the south, west, east, and southwest then goes north of I-87 to Lake George/Saratoga/the Adirondacks.

snowc

Quote from: Rothman on April 08, 2021, 12:41:26 AM

I-87 is in those states?
Not quite. I-87 is in NC but is future in VA. MD doesn't have I87, nor DE!

Alps

Quote from: snowc on April 08, 2021, 01:36:49 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 08, 2021, 12:41:26 AM

I-87 is in those states?
Not quite. I-87 is in NC but is future in VA. MD doesn't have I87, nor DE!
Ah, but the intent, you see...

Rothman

First $800m finally announced for I-81 project in Syracuse as part of the new state budget.  A lot of the first phase work will be on I-481.

https://www.syracuse.com/state/2021/04/syracuses-i-81-project-gets-800m-in-ny-budget-with-latest-plan-coming-this-summer.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.