Vertical and horizontal traffic signals in the same city

Started by Scott5114, March 30, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

The latest batch of traffic signals in downtown Oklahoma City is mounted horizontally. The area in question is the main central business district, not the Bricktown entertainment district to the immediate east. However, this seems to be limited to just this area; signals outside the core are still being posted vertically. There are even intersections downtown with new horizontal signals and old vertical signals for different legs of the same intersection.

Are there any other cities mixing and matching like this? Why would a city transition from vertical to horizontal, and why for only part of the city? (In before "Oklahoma".)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

DaBigE

Aesthetic treatment? That would be my only guess as to why only a certain part of a city, unless it's the first area as part of a systematic improvement. What kind of arms are these being mounted to, mast arms or monotubes? Mast arms scream horizontal mount, as they don't require additional hardware, at least with a signal mounted to the far end of the mast arm (old Wisconsin typical). That said, there is an intersection about a mile from my home which has vertically-mounted signals on a mast arm. The orientation in Wisconsin generally comes with the arm type (monotubes = vertical, mast arms = horizontal). The exception is that WisDOT explicitly states that a maximum of two signals can be vertically-mounted on a mast arm.

There are several intersections with a mix of mounting styles in the greater Madison area. Most recently, a good stretch of Johnson St was reconstructed just north of downtown Madison. Many of the intersections use the traditional Wisconsin horizontal mounted mast arm, but at least two of them use the new monotubes with vertically mounted signals. There's one intersection in Sun Prairie which has both the same intersection. Again, this looks like a cost-saving measure. When the lanes/movements don't require multiple heads, they go with the horizontal mast-arm mount. I've seen this commonly for FYA installations (as is the case in Sun Prairie: see https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5016.msg178214#msg178214).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

freebrickproductions

Huntsville has horizontal signals located around the city, although most of them are vertical. Some of the horizontal ones in Huntsville are mounted to provide better visibility from under overpasses or over hills and others are installed to provide better height clearance, but there are some in downtown that appear to be installed horizontally for looks as far as I know.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Pink Jazz

Not sure if this counts, but in New Mexico the through signals are generally mounted horizontally, but left turn signals are frequently on a pedestal on the median and are mounted vertically.

PHLBOS

This mixture of vertical & horizontal signalheads at this intersection in Upper Darby Twp., PA (Westbrook Park section) is still around. 

The horizontal signalheads are older; the vertical signalheads replaced similar-vintaged horizontal signalheads when the signals were upgraded to include left-arrow cycles.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Scott5114

These signals are mounted on monotubes, and have curved back plates that wrap around toward the tube. I wonder if it's due to wind in the dense downtown core. I don't have access to GSV right now, but you can see them on most intersections in downtown OKC. I've seen new installations outside the core, and they use the standard vertical yellow signals with black backplate that OKC has used for 20 years.

There are a few intersections in Lawton, OK, that have vertical straight thru signals and horizontal left turn signals. That's an interesting idea.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rick1962

Yukon (suburb of Oklahoma City) is mounting new signals horizontally, and the ODOT plans for a new signal installation at S.H. 20 & 140th East Ave. in Owasso show the signal heads to be horizontal.  New ODOT standard?

PHLBOS

Horizontally-stacked signalheads are generally a rare sight in Massachusetts.

However, the latest drawbridge signals for the General Edwards Bridge at the Lynn/Revere line appear to be an exception.  Previous-generation (prior to the late-80s) signals for this bridge were conventional post-mounted vertically-stacked signalheads.

MA 1A Northbound General Edwards Bridge Approach

MA 1A Southbound General Edwards Bridge Approach

All other signals in both Lynn & Revere are conventional vertically-stacked signalheads.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

busman_49

Cincinnati has horizontal signals downtown, but vertical signals elsewhere throughout the city.

jwags

DaBigE

Quote from: jwags on March 31, 2015, 05:58:15 PM
Here's one from Wisconsin with horizontal on one side of the light and then a vertical mounted behind it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=43.194836,-88.72878&spn=0.001678,0.004128&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=43.194852,-88.728908&panoid=fGVbYNZ52D_rflDSGOZjKw&cbp=12,97.93,,0,-1.35

That Watertown, WI intersection has a lot of signalization "abnormalities"...one of 'em being indications placed in the wrong positions (look at where the green ball is on the vertical signal on the far left of that street view capture). :pan:

NYhwyfan

SignGeek101

What about horizontal and vertical traffic signals at the same interesection?!  :wow:

http://goo.gl/maps/B6CBm

jwags

Quote from: DaBigE on March 31, 2015, 06:13:55 PM
Quote from: jwags on March 31, 2015, 05:58:15 PM
Here's one from Wisconsin with horizontal on one side of the light and then a vertical mounted behind it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=43.194836,-88.72878&spn=0.001678,0.004128&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=43.194852,-88.728908&panoid=fGVbYNZ52D_rflDSGOZjKw&cbp=12,97.93,,0,-1.35

That Watertown, WI intersection has a lot of signalization "abnormalities"...one of 'em being indications placed in the wrong positions (look at where the green ball is on the vertical signal on the far left of that street view capture). :pan:

I've driven through that intersection hundreds of times and I've never noticed that. Good catch.

DaBigE

Big John

Quote from: DaBigE on March 31, 2015, 09:08:44 PM
Another fine Wisconsin example: Wis 60 @ Wis 83
Off topic but 2 quadrants have 1-section pedestrian signals and the other 2 have 2-section pedestrian signals.  On the 2-section signals, both are displaying the orange don't walk hand (and I checked all 4 of them doing the same thing): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.317772,-88.378887,3a,75y,73.01h,78.87t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1stAZsWTfBKhURz5L4j-AWgw!2e0

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DaBigE

Quote from: Big John on March 31, 2015, 09:15:15 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on March 31, 2015, 09:08:44 PM
Another fine Wisconsin example: Wis 60 @ Wis 83
Off topic but 2 quadrants have 1-section pedestrian signals and the other 2 have 2-section pedestrian signals.  On the 2-section signals, both are displaying the orange don't walk hand (and I checked all 4 of them doing the same thing): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.317772,-88.378887,3a,75y,73.01h,78.87t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1stAZsWTfBKhURz5L4j-AWgw!2e0

Yeah, Hartford's been doing that since LED pedestrian signals were first installed in the early 2000s. There's a couple more ped signals like that along Wis 60: another example. The top section is the hand only, the bottom is bimodal walk and hand.

PHLBOS

Quote from: SignGeek101 on March 31, 2015, 07:32:58 PM
What about horizontal and vertical traffic signals at the same interesection?!  :wow:

In addition to your example, see my earlier-posted Upper Darby, PA intersection (Reply #5) example for mixed horizontal & vertical signalheads.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

It all depends on what parts are available when a specific signal head wears out, or if the whole entire assembly gets old, fails inspection etc.  It sometimes is easier to do it that way then wait around for the right part to be added.

Plus do some of the people in the road departments really care about aesthetics anyway?  Heck here in Florida we have some intersections that replace a worn out mast arm assembly or one that gets hit by a vehicle with a span wire.  The intersection of John Young Parkway and the First Baptist Church entrance in Orlando had the pole for NB JYP get removed and instead of using another mast arm assembly to replace it with they drove two telephone poles into the ground on both sides of JYP and strung a wire across and hung the three signal heads on it. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 01, 2015, 09:17:20 AM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on March 31, 2015, 07:32:58 PM

In addition to your example, see my earlier-posted Upper Darby, PA intersection (Reply #5) example for mixed horizontal & vertical signalheads.

That's SOP for CDOT in Chicago with an overpass.  See my examples in Reply #1.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.