News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

L.A. launches redesigned parking signs

Started by DTComposer, April 03, 2015, 11:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTComposer

jeffandnicole

You really have to eyeball where the times meet the permitted parking or restriction. Easier to do when the sign is at eye level, but most parking signs are located about 10 feet up on a pole.

Someone had posted this idea previously, and of course the sample sign had grand reviews. Actually using them in the field though may reveal the faults with the signs.

JoePCool14

The sign visually looks nice, but its efficiency doesn't look as good. I could read and understand the old one much easier there than the new one.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

corco

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 04, 2015, 09:41:08 AM
You really have to eyeball where the times meet the permitted parking or restriction. Easier to do when the sign is at eye level, but most parking signs are located about 10 feet up on a pole.

Someone had posted this idea previously, and of course the sample sign had grand reviews. Actually using them in the field though may reveal the faults with the signs.

That's part of my concern on this- it's probably easier to see if it's legal to park or not once you're already stopped and parked, but driving by, trying to find a parking space, these look completely useless.

If we're redesigning these things with bluetooth sensors and beacons and designing apps (as mentioned in the article), why not just go whole hog and have digital parking signs that display the current legal parking conditions? I realize that would be more expensive, but if this is actually a problem (I don't think it is) it should be solved properly. Wouldn't even have to be connected an an internet or anything- just a timer and a display screen. Design them like walk/don't walk signs so they're not easily hacked. If they're putting bluetooth sensors on these new signs, they're electrifying the poles anyway. You wouldn't need to put them up everywhere where parking is legal, only where the legality of parking is ambiguous (parking sometimes legal, sometimes not).

CtrlAltDel

I would have the "scale" be a bit more uniform. Sometimes each space represents four hours and other times only one. That makes it harder to skim the sign than it would otherwise be. Also, for this sign, there seems to be no real need to have restrictions start at 8 am on some days and 9 am on others. Just pick a single time for all the days.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

JoePCool14

Also, I could see this being a problem with vandalism. All it would take is someone to put a sticker over a certain time and you wouldn't know what that time represented. Normally, you can probably understand the full word even if its partially blocked.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

UCFKnights

Quote from: corco on April 04, 2015, 12:13:26 PM

That's part of my concern on this- it's probably easier to see if it's legal to park or not once you're already stopped and parked, but driving by, trying to find a parking space, these look completely useless.

If we're redesigning these things with bluetooth sensors and beacons and designing apps (as mentioned in the article), why not just go whole hog and have digital parking signs that display the current legal parking conditions? I realize that would be more expensive, but if this is actually a problem (I don't think it is) it should be solved properly. Wouldn't even have to be connected an an internet or anything- just a timer and a display screen. Design them like walk/don't walk signs so they're not easily hacked. If they're putting bluetooth sensors on these new signs, they're electrifying the poles anyway. You wouldn't need to put them up everywhere where parking is legal, only where the legality of parking is ambiguous (parking sometimes legal, sometimes not).
I'm not sure that would solve the need either. If its simple enough to say No Parking or Parking for 2 Hours to just Parking, I won't know when its going to switch from that. Also, its good to know the schedule of parking availability so I know not to even bother driving down the street if its a No Parking time. The message sign would need to still convey all of the same information.

Also, I doubt they're electrifying the polls. Bluetooth beacons can be powered by AAA batteries for 2 years. There really is no reason they couldn't put a 10 year battery in them like they're doing with household smoke detectors now. I'd be surprised if they're actually wiring them up. Just put them on a schedule of replacement, and even if a few fail prematurely, its likely not a big deal for the effectiveness of the app. An app could also likely alert the town to low batteries in the Beacons if they so desire. They potentially could put a small solar panel as well to extend them even longer (many of the LED flashing beacons aren't hooked up the grid, and they use way more power then he Bluetooth beacons).

mrsman

Quote from: Hoss6884 on April 04, 2015, 01:23:33 PM

Here is the original post.

Referencing my comment in the earlier thread, I'd like to see how they make signs for more complicated scenarios such as restrictions (or exemptions) that only apply to certain classes of vehicles (handicapped, permit holders, commercial drivers, school buses), designations between times when paying the meter is or isn't required, and many of the really complicated and unique signs that only exist in limited places.

UCFKnights

Quote from: mrsman on April 13, 2015, 09:49:43 PM
Quote from: Hoss6884 on April 04, 2015, 01:23:33 PM

Here is the original post.

Referencing my comment in the earlier thread, I'd like to see how they make signs for more complicated scenarios such as restrictions (or exemptions) that only apply to certain classes of vehicles (handicapped, permit holders, commercial drivers, school buses), designations between times when paying the meter is or isn't required, and many of the really complicated and unique signs that only exist in limited places.
One of the signs actually is fairly complicated. It has different restrictions to the left and right of the sign, and 2 hour parking, non-time restricted parking, no stopping, no parking, tow away, and passenger loading. I'd imagine more can be added to the legend, and other things removed as needed. Seems to deal with the more complicated situations better that would be hard to otherwise read.

vdeane

This sign is better for anyone who comprehends information better with pictures (like me).  I'm guessing those that prefer the current sign prefer words over images.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

This post wasn't a good idea so I deleted it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.