News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Favorite Building

Started by roadman65, April 11, 2015, 05:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Just out of curiosity, what are your favorite buildings or overall structures? What ones intrigue you the most either by looks, design, or even one that looks pretty to your eyes.

Mine, as some who read my other post lately, is the US Capitol's dome.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Hmm...

It's hard to say, but I think the Willis Tower in Chicago is getting my vote. I can't really say why I love it so much, but I just do. Many of the buildings in Washington, DC also are up there because of their old-style architecture in a modern city.

If you showed me skylines of major cities, I would probably be able to pick at least one building in there that I like a lot. I just won't know the name. Names elude me a lot of the time.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SSOWorld

Quote from: Zeffy on April 11, 2015, 09:18:26 PM
Hmm...

It's hard to say, but I think the WillisSears Tower in Chicago is getting my vote. I can't really say why I love it so much, but I just do. Many of the buildings in Washington, DC also are up there because of their old-style architecture in a modern city.

If you showed me skylines of major cities, I would probably be able to pick at least one building in there that I like a lot. I just won't know the name. Names elude me a lot of the time.
FTFY! :sombrero: :awesomeface:

I can't pick just one building....
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Pete from Boston

It's gone, or rather they are gone.  Every time I look at Lower Manhattan these days, I hear some voice say, "Trust me, you'll learn to love New Mommy before you know it."

But among the remaining, too many to decide.  Some are houses, some are skyscrapers, and most are in between.  I like roads, but I love buildings.

dfwmapper

Fountain Place in Dallas

Brandon

Quote from: Zeffy on April 11, 2015, 09:18:26 PM
Hmm...

It's hard to say, but I think the Willis Tower Sears Tower in Chicago is getting my vote. I can't really say why I love it so much, but I just do. Many of the buildings in Washington, DC also are up there because of their old-style architecture in a modern city.

FIFY.  No one except the media uses the term "Willis Tower".  To the average Chicagoan, it's the "Sears Tower".

For me, there's a large list, and not all of them are tall.  Below are just a few.

- State of Illinois Center (aka James Thompson Center).  I like the atrium and the curvature.
- John Hancock Center.  The taper is nice, and I like the use of the structural X beams on the outside.
- Chrysler Building.  The spire and art deco decor is amazing.
- Smurfit Stone Building.  The cut to the roof facing the Lake is stunning.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

txstateends

Quote from: dfwmapper on April 12, 2015, 09:57:50 AM
Fountain Place in Dallas

+1!!  Yes!  Love Fountain Place.  Wish it had been built as twins, like the original plans (the 80's mess sadly killed that plan, but oh well).  Another complex that can go on the list is The Crescent, just north of downtown in the Uptown area of Dallas.  Its newer neighbors have unfortunately been built as tall or taller, which covers The Crescent up from many viewing angles, but to me, it's still a classic.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

JakeFromNewEngland

A few of my favorite buildings are:

- John Hancock Tower in Boston. It's such a beautiful building with the glass facade.
- Freedom Tower in NYC. I love it's modern look and especially how I was able to pick out it from the rest of the skyscrapers while flying into JFK.
- TransAmerica Pyramid in SF. It's a really cool design and you can easily identify it from the rest of the SF skyline.

SteveG1988

Brandon, if you love the Chrysler Building you will love the one that I love. One Liberty Place in Philadelphia PA. Shows what can happen when responsible skyscraper planning can take place, started a revolution in Philadelphia as prior to 1987 the tallest structure was the top of city hall, Billy Penn's hat.

It's the one with the spire and Chrysler Building inspired top

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Pete from Boston

Hmmm... I sense a divide here.  Like most folks, I really do like the Chrysler Building, but One Liberty Place always struck me as a cheap knock-off.  In fairness, it's probably carry a little more weight with me if it wasn't so very derivative of so iconic a building ~100 miles away.

ET21

Freedom Complex (WTC) (NYC)
Sears Tower (Chicago)
Trump Tower (Chicago)
Aqua (Chicago)
700 Louisiana (Houston)
Library Tower (LA)
TransAmerica Building (San Fran)
CN Tower (Toronto)
Fernsehturm (Berlin)

Just to name a few  ;-)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Pete from Boston

Quote from: ET21 on April 13, 2015, 06:45:11 PM
Freedom Complex

Is this a thing?  The building isn't called Freedom Tower anymore.  Did they quietly rename the whole development instead?

Roadrunner75

Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 13, 2015, 10:38:48 AM
Brandon, if you love the Chrysler Building you will love the one that I love. One Liberty Place in Philadelphia PA. Shows what can happen when responsible skyscraper planning can take place, started a revolution in Philadelphia as prior to 1987 the tallest structure was the top of city hall, Billy Penn's hat.

It's the one with the spire and Chrysler Building inspired top

I like One Liberty too, but I can't stand the Comcast Center tower.  I also can't stand that new skinny block residential tower in NYC - 432 Park Avenue.  It's an embarrassment to the NYC city skyline.  Give me some good ol' art deco.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 13, 2015, 07:06:27 PM

Freedom Complex

Is this a thing?  The building isn't called Freedom Tower anymore.  Did they quietly rename the whole development instead?
Some call 1WTC freedom tower but I have not heared Freedom Complex - ever.

find I'll list mine.
-Sears tower
-John Hancock Center
-ESB
-Transamerica Pyramid
-Chrysler Building
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

briantroutman

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 13, 2015, 09:32:26 PM
-Transamerica Pyramid

I have a client with offices up around the 40th floor on the northwest corner, and they have an unbelievable view that stretches from Golden Gate Park almost 180° around the North Bay. On a clear day, you can see the Farallones.

BigRedDog

I've always been a fan of PPG Place in Pittsburgh.

KG909

US Bank Tower (Library Tower) in LA
~Fuccboi

Henry

Top five:

Sears Tower
John Hancock Center
Chrysler Building (NYC)
Peachtree Center (Atlanta)
Library Tower (Los Angeles)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Scott5114

I'm quite partial to Oklahoma City's Devon Energy Center. It was the first new skyscraper we got in several years, and it seems to have been the catalyst for at least one other skyscraper nearby (OG&E is building a new skyscraper catty-corner to it). It was really cool seeing it under construction, and then the finished product. I haven't yet been to the top of it, but I want to go. You can see the tower from as far away as Newcastle, so I'm sure the view from the top is excellent. Overall, the building is a symbol of OKC's modern era and the progress we've made as a city in the last 20 years.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ET21

Freedom Complex

I just called it that because you have a cluster of buildings that relate to each other, including the WTC memorial.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

SSOWorld

Quote from: ET21 on April 14, 2015, 05:42:22 PM

Freedom Complex

I just called it that because you have a cluster of buildings that relate to each other, including the WTC memorial.
indeed.  (For the record, I avoided the museum for two reasons: 1 - crowded, 2 - I don't believe - despite the seriousness of it - it belongs in a museum)
Scott O.

Raise your what?

oscar

CN Tower in Toronto (borderline as a "building" since the only floors above ground level are observation and restaurant decks high up the tower, but the OP did include "overall structures")

For something more building-like and closer to home, the Twin Towers in Arlington's Rosslyn district, which used to be occupied by the Gannett newspaper company but now the most prominent tenants are local TV channels 7 and 8. Both look like vertical airfoils (funny, since they're uncomfortably close to one of the main flight paths into Reagan National airport). I also like that they're the most prominent high-rises right across the river from height-restricted D.C., defying some planners' wishes to restrict building heights in the close-in suburbs too.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

silverback1065

I've always liked the Flatiron building in NYC. 

Pete from Boston

I'm a big fan of this place in Wrentham, Mass.:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.