News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Scajaquada Expressway

Started by Roadgeek Adam, June 28, 2015, 08:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

Because we need to turn this kid into a second coming of jesus:

There's now not only a proposal rename the 198 (Scajaquada) after Maksym Sugorovskiy, the kid killed in the late May accident in Delaware Park, but now there is a plan to put a memorial garden and bench in his honor in the park.

I'm sorry, but at some point we draw the line. This kid was an accident victim because the state neglected to put guard rails in years ago on the 198, and while we're in the process of ruining a perfectly good expressway cross town because of the death of one 3-year old and political "pressure" (aka money talks). This kid wasn't anything special for anything but his death, but this is getting absurd.

There are people in the area that I know who are now cursing this kid (and his parents) out because of what politics has done to the 198 since this. At the same time, I don't see opposition from those stuck in traffic daily and it's getting really annoying.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cl94

I've heard rumors that the parks department blocked a plan to put guide rails in back in the 70s. Knowing how this place works, wouldn't shock me one bit.

I also want to know who the family had connections to. People get hit all the time, but the reaction from politicians is rarely this big unless an affected party is connected to a politician.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 28, 2015, 08:34:35 PM

There's now not only a proposal rename the 198 (Scajaquada) after Maksym Sugorovskiy, the kid killed in the late May accident in Delaware Park, but now there is a plan to put a memorial garden and bench in his honor in the park.

I'm sorry, but at some point we draw the line. This kid was an accident victim because the state neglected to put guard rails in years ago on the 198, and while we're in the process of ruining a perfectly good expressway cross town because of the death of one 3-year old and political "pressure" (aka money talks). This kid wasn't anything special for anything but his death, but this is getting absurd.

There are people in the area that I know who are now cursing this kid (and his parents) out because of what politics has done to the 198 since this. At the same time, I don't see opposition from those stuck in traffic daily and it's getting really annoying.

Because one person means that an entire important road has to have the speed limit lowered when it was obvious all they needed to do was install guardrails.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Buffaboy

The whole thing smells of political corruption on the part of who-knows-who. When I drove on the 30 MPH portion for the first time, I thought it was ridiculous. Nobody was going to get in an accident or kill anyone on the areas that don't abut the ring road. If anything, all that had to be done was to put in a recommended speed for the turn there.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

froggie

Nice way to shift all of the blame off the driver, guys...

Would this crash have been avoided had guardrails been present?  Likely.

Does that absolve the driver involved of all responsibility?  ABSOLUTELY NOT.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: froggie on June 29, 2015, 08:53:22 AM

The driver should be arrested because it is his fault the crash happened. But just because a 3 year old was killed by a driver doesn't mean he has to be a second coming of Jesus. I could understand putting a small memorial piece for him but not name an entire park and freeway after him.

Zeffy

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 29, 2015, 09:42:37 AM
The driver should be arrested because it is his fault the crash happened.

Evidently not, if there were no charges filed against him.

The driver claimed they fell asleep at the wheel. This is more his fault than anything else. He should've pulled over if need be. You can't just suddenly fall asleep at the wheel - you have to know you're too tired.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadgeek Adam

I don't absolve any responsibility off the driver, but it's the response that's getting me more and more annoyed daily, especially as the local channels here start beating the dead horse about it.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

iBallasticwolf2

I can understand naming a small memorial garden and bench after him, but not anymore than that.

Buffaboy

It's an excuse to reshape how people travel around the city.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on June 28, 2015, 08:36:54 PM
I also want to know who the family had connections to. People get hit all the time, but the reaction from politicians is rarely this big unless an affected party is connected to a politician.
Maybe Cuomo?  He sure did react awfully fast... I think the news of the speed limit reduction hit the news faster than the news that someone got killed!

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 29, 2015, 03:42:27 PM
Pretty much.  I suspect that the ONLY reason the driver hasn't been charged is because that would take the wind out of the sails of those who are trying to remove the freeway.  Their argument centers around the road being inherently unsafe, while in reality, the driver shouldn't have even had a license.  If I were the DA, the driver would be charged with involuntary manslaughter.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

We have a saying. "There's no such thing as an unsafe road, only unsafe drivers."

What did the driver do to merit not have a license prior to this accident?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on June 29, 2015, 09:16:46 PM
We have a saying. "There's no such thing as an unsafe road, only unsafe drivers."

What did the driver do to merit not have a license prior to this accident?

Medical condition. Untreated narcolepsy, IIRC.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

froggie

QuoteTheir argument centers around the road being inherently unsafe, while in reality, the driver shouldn't have even had a license.

In this case, both may well be true...

vdeane

Personally, I would have lowered the speed limit to the original 40, put in guiderail, and then study ways of improving pedestrian/bike connectivity in the park.  Instead, we're getting a knee jerk lowering of the speed limit to 30 and talk of removing the road entirely.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

machias

Quote from: vdeane on June 30, 2015, 01:46:49 PM
Personally, I would have lowered the speed limit to the original 40, put in guiderail, and then study ways of improving pedestrian/bike connectivity in the park.  Instead, we're getting a knee jerk lowering of the speed limit to 30 and talk of removing the road entirely.

It's a typical bombastic reaction from a typical downstater.

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on June 29, 2015, 06:22:13 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on June 29, 2015, 03:42:27 PM
Pretty much.  I suspect that the ONLY reason the driver hasn't been charged is because that would take the wind out of the sails of those who are trying to remove the freeway.  Their argument centers around the road being inherently unsafe, while in reality, the driver shouldn't have even had a license.

Indeed, there are groups that have been trying to get 198 downgraded for years. A story like this was just too perfect to not milk for all it's worth.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Buffaboy

Man, people are nuts. They think that the minority (Parkside residents) control the will of the majority (entire city and region) and want to gerrymander, manipulate and hijack the DOT planning process and media to fit their agenda.

Channel 2 feeds this small group of people by continuing to air this stuff. Why don't they talk about those in opposition of this redesign? They certainly are out there.

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on July 01, 2015, 10:09:21 PM
Man, people are nuts. They think that the minority (Parkside residents) control the will of the majority (entire city and region) and want to gerrymander, manipulate and hijack the DOT planning process and media to fit their agenda.

Channel 2 feeds this small group of people by continuing to air this stuff. Why don't they talk about those in opposition of this redesign? They certainly are out there.

All of them are feeding the group because the group has money. I've followed all 3 and Channel 7 has been the worst (as they typically are). Buffalo News has remained relatively neutral in that they've at least brought up why the downgrade plans were thrown out in the past (traffic flow issues).

froggie

The 30 does seem like a kneejerk reaction, though I can understand local resident desire for changes.  Val has a reasonable proposal above (after my previous post).

Buffaboy

Quote from: froggie on July 02, 2015, 10:31:12 AM
The 30 does seem like a kneejerk reaction, though I can understand local resident desire for changes.  Val has a reasonable proposal above (after my previous post).

Since (at the moment) tunneling it isn't financially feasible, her idea is definitely a good compromise for it, but I'm sure the odds of it happening are likely low.

cl94

Don't have a link yet, but I just saw a report stating that Buffalo is going to ask to have the speed limit raised. Probably got sick of the higher accident rate and traffic on surface streets

Mergingtraffic

unfortunately that's what happens, politicians would rather alienate the majority than upset the vocal minority or be politically incorrect.  Removing freeways gives the impression of "I love my community and I love the town character" being pro-freeway is opposite of that.  This story makes me sick all around.

and are the TV channels, from 3 different ownerships, also afraid of being politcally incorrect as well? Is that why they focus on those that are anti-freeway rather than most who are pro-freeway? I mean, all 3 TV stations have individual employees and procedures when covering the news.  There's no big dude in a dimly lit office somewhere directing them what to cover.

time, I don't see opposition from those stuck in traffic daily and it's getting really annoying.

I notice that too is it because they are too busy with their daily lives to voice up?

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on July 02, 2015, 11:41:13 AM
Don't have a link yet, but I just saw a report stating that Buffalo is going to ask to have the speed limit raised. Probably got sick of the higher accident rate and traffic on surface streets

https://youtu.be/MByTBCPH894

cl94

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 02, 2015, 06:52:58 PM

unfortunately that's what happens, politicians would rather alienate the majority than upset the vocal minority or be politically incorrect.  Removing freeways gives the impression of "I love my community and I love the town character" being pro-freeway is opposite of that.  This story makes me sick all around.

and are the TV channels, from 3 different ownerships, also afraid of being politcally incorrect as well? Is that why they focus on those that are anti-freeway rather than most who are pro-freeway? I mean, all 3 TV stations have individual employees and procedures when covering the news.  There's no big dude in a dimly lit office somewhere directing them what to cover.

time, I don't see opposition from those stuck in traffic daily and it's getting really annoying.

I notice that too is it because they are too busy with their daily lives to voice up?

They're speaking. Most people think it's BS. Money trumps everything.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.