News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

One tag states

Started by roadman65, July 18, 2015, 03:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeTheActuary

Looks like there is a process to get not-quite-vanity low numbered plates in Massachusetts: Boston Magazine article, RMV form

Here in CT, all-numeric passenger vehicle plates are reserved to long-time CT families (who got the number "normally" and kept it through the years), politicians, or friends of politicians/bureaucrats.

roadman

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on July 21, 2015, 09:40:14 AM
Looks like there is a process to get not-quite-vanity low numbered plates in Massachusetts: Boston Magazine article, RMV form

Here in CT, all-numeric passenger vehicle plates are reserved to long-time CT families (who got the number "normally" and kept it through the years), politicians, or friends of politicians/bureaucrats.

Ah yes, the infamous waste of taxpayer's money and the RMV's time low number plate lottery.  Which was created because the local media exposed the "scandal" of the RMV issuing the plates to connected folks.  Like there's nothing more serious going on in state government that they can worry about license plates.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

The Nature Boy

Quote from: roadman on July 21, 2015, 10:16:00 AM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on July 21, 2015, 09:40:14 AM

Ah yes, the infamous waste of taxpayer's money and the RMV's time low number plate lottery.  Which was created because the local media exposed the "scandal" of the RMV issuing the plates to connected folks.  Like there's nothing more serious going on in state government that they can worry about license plates.

It's a low hanging fruit that can make you appear "tough on corruption." Voters love that stuff.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Pink Jazz on July 21, 2015, 09:28:54 AM
I wonder, in one plate states, is it legal to display an expired out-of-state plate on the front of your vehicle?  That may send a confusing message.
In MA, circa 1983; such certainly did.  When my grandfather moved up north from Florida several years earlier; I took his old & expired FL plate and placed it on the front of my car (which had a current green-on-white MA plate mounted on the rear bumper of my '69 Ford LTD I owned at the time).  Shortly after pulling out of a parking space at Fort Sewell (in Marblehead); a nearby Marblehead Police officer motioned me to stop and pull over.

He stated that he pulled me over due to my car displaying two different registration plates.  I told him that the front one was an old expired plate from my grandfather that I was displaying it as a novelty plate.  He told me that such wasn't allowed.  Rather than argue and belabor the point (and possibly get a ticket); I just took a screwdriver out of the trunk, removed the front plate and placed it inside the car; and the cop left after that.

Whether such is an actual law or not is not completely known (to me).  Given that I had the front plate on for several months and that this encounter took place during prom season (where minors obtaining alcohol for pre- and post-prom activities was a common infraction); I have to wonder if the cops were merely looking for an excuse to pull me (I was 17 at the time) over to see if I was transporting alcohol (I wasn't).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SteveG1988

How many states don't issue a registration sticker?

NJ doesn't, we did but we switched back to having none.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 21, 2015, 10:51:02 AM
Whether such is an actual law or not is not completely known (to me). 

The source (at least today...I don't know when the law was written):

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter90/Section6

QuoteSection 6. Every motor vehicle or trailer registered under this chapter when operated in or on any way in this commonwealth shall have its register number displayed conspicuously thereon by the number plates furnished by the registrar in accordance...blah blah blah...No number plates other than such as are procured from the registrar or such as may be authorized by him for temporary use, except as provided in section three, shall be displayed on any motor vehicle or trailer so operated; provided, that a motor vehicle or trailer which by reason of its interstate operation is registered in this commonwealth and elsewhere may display the register number plates of this and any other state or country in which it is registered, if, while being operated on the ways of this commonwealth, the number plates furnished by the registrar, or temporary number plates authorized by him as hereinafter provided, are displayed as required hereby....and more blah blah blah...

The Nature Boy

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 21, 2015, 11:23:37 AM

NJ doesn't, we did but we switched back to having none.

Connecticut stopped in 2007. You still see cars with pre-07 CT plates with 07 registration stickers on them.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 21, 2015, 11:32:20 AMThe source (at least today...I don't know when the law was written):
That's a good question regarding when that law was written.

As previously mentioned, prior to 1977 and after 1989*; MA issued two plates for all registered vehicles.  The in-between period, which coincided with the issuance of the rear-only green-on-white plates, would've been the only time where displaying of novelty or other dead/expired plates on the front became an issue in the Bay State.

*due to surplusses & which RMV office, single green-on-white plates were still issued to new registrants as late as 1992 (my mother's plate is proof of such).

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 21, 2015, 11:23:37 AM
I, personally wish that PA didn't.  Plate sitckers are renewed every year; and, for many years, plate vandalism/sticker stealing was an issue particularly in the Greater Philadlephia area.

MA issues plate stickers every 2 years.

I don't believe that NY issues plate stickers.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

MA issues plate stickers for regular series plates every two years.  However, for vanity, charity, or other specality plates (like the ham radio plates I have), plate stickers are issued every year.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Molandfreak

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 20, 2015, 01:06:08 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on July 19, 2015, 11:32:41 PM
Though it may not seem logical, do stores in two-tag states sell souvenir plates that people put on the front?
Never seen one, though I have seen people attach some other kind of tag above or below the state-issued tag (only works on some vehicles).
Seems like that would be ugly unless it were on the rear of an SUV or some larger vehicle. Although sometimes people who have winches or other equipment on their truck will mount their plate to the side, so what about having a novelty plate on one side and the regular plate on the other?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

PHLBOS

During the (late) 60s; instead of a plate sticker, MA issued a separate window sticker (apart from the then-twice-a-year inspection stickers) that was mounted underneath the rear-view mirror.  The final year for these stickers was 1969.  Such were square blue stickers bearing a large, bold, black 69 on them.  For many years, cars prior to the 1970 model year either still had the stickers or traces of such still on them.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 21, 2015, 03:08:05 PM
I don't believe that NY issues plate stickers.
We don't, but we do use window stickers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 21, 2015, 11:32:20 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 21, 2015, 10:51:02 AM
Whether such is an actual law or not is not completely known (to me). 

The source (at least today...I don't know when the law was written):

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter90/Section6

QuoteSection 6. Every motor vehicle or trailer registered under this chapter when operated in or on any way in this commonwealth shall have its register number displayed conspicuously thereon by the number plates furnished by the registrar in accordance...blah blah blah...No number plates other than such as are procured from the registrar or such as may be authorized by him for temporary use, except as provided in section three, shall be displayed on any motor vehicle or trailer so operated; provided, that a motor vehicle or trailer which by reason of its interstate operation is registered in this commonwealth and elsewhere may display the register number plates of this and any other state or country in which it is registered, if, while being operated on the ways of this commonwealth, the number plates furnished by the registrar, or temporary number plates authorized by him as hereinafter provided, are displayed as required hereby....and more blah blah blah...

They are not joking when it comes to this stuff.  I had a car towed because of a plate mixup and had to tell a magistrate why I shouldn't be handed a misdemeanor charge of "attaching plates unlawfully."

SidS1045

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 21, 2015, 08:18:32 AMso one can't get a vanity plate that had lists the year and make/model of their car (examples: 98 VW, 02 DTS, 78 LTD, etc.).

Two of the more arcane regulations regarding Massachusetts vanity plates are: 1) the first two characters must be letters, and 2) the plate cannot have letters and numbers intermixed (MY65MG is not allowed; MYMG65 is OK).  Why, no one seems to know.

Source:  http://www.massrmv.com/VanityPlateRequirements.aspx
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

formulanone

I wonder, in one plate states, is it legal to display an expired out-of-state plate on the front of your vehicle?  That may send a confusing message.

I've seen this more than a few times in Florida, but I'm not sure of the actual legality of it.

Probably not a good idea to return to that "front-displayed-State" that also has some sort of two-plate requirement, or you'll have too much explaining to do.

1995hoo

Then you have a state like Nevada, which used to sell (don't know if it still does) souvenir plates that you could personalize. The characters were in a different color than the standard plate (I have one someone gave me–the plate "number" is in red while a valid one would use blue). I imagine that could cause plenty of confusion in other states if you opted to display the souvenir plate on the front because it's not readily obvious it's a souvenir.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 24, 2015, 12:46:27 PM
Then you have a state like Nevada, which used to sell (don't know if it still does) souvenir plates that you could personalize. The characters were in a different color than the standard plate (I have one someone gave me–the plate "number" is in red while a valid one would use blue). I imagine that could cause plenty of confusion in other states if you opted to display the souvenir plate on the front because it's not readily obvious it's a souvenir.

Seeing this in Kentucky quite a bit, especially with the "Friends of Coal" plate. The state issues a plate with this design, but there are some third-party souvenir plate sellers who also market a front-plate with this design. You can get your name on a third-party "Friends of Coal" plate to put on the front of your car, and have the standard one-plate Kentucky design on the back.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

realjd

Quote from: formulanone on July 24, 2015, 11:36:04 AM

I've seen this more than a few times in Florida, but I'm not sure of the actual legality of it.

Probably not a good idea to return to that "front-displayed-State" that also has some sort of two-plate requirement, or you'll have too much explaining to do.

Not legal here, but almost never enforced.

Takumi

Quote from: realjd on July 24, 2015, 03:43:22 PM
Not legal here, but almost never enforced.
Isn't that the official slogan of the Florida DMV? :sombrero:
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: SidS1045 on July 24, 2015, 11:11:49 AM
Two of the more arcane regulations regarding Massachusetts vanity plates are: 1) the first two characters must be letters, and 2) the plate cannot have letters and numbers intermixed (MY65MG is not allowed; MYMG65 is OK).

I can't help with 1, but for 2, it helps prevent confusion between similar looking letters and numbers, like 0 and O and 1 and I. In Illinois, you need to have a space between all letters and numbers in a license plate number for the same reason. (I.e. you can have R 65 but not R65. Past that, though, you can have intermixed, e.g., R 65 MX would be okay.)
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

Brandon

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 02, 2015, 06:19:06 PM
Two of the more arcane regulations regarding Massachusetts vanity plates are: 1) the first two characters must be letters, and 2) the plate cannot have letters and numbers intermixed (MY65MG is not allowed; MYMG65 is OK).

I can't help with 1, but for 2, it helps prevent confusion between similar looking letters and numbers, like 0 and O and 1 and I. In Illinois, you need to have a space between all letters and numbers in a license plate number for the same reason. (I.e. you can have R 65 but not R65. Past that, though, you can have intermixed, e.g., R 65 MX would be okay.)

I beg to differ.  There are a lot of vanity plates that have the numbers sandwiched right next to the letters.  And you're forgetting about the current series of plates that is exactly like that, i.e. "R65 1234".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hotdogPi

Quote from: Brandon on August 02, 2015, 07:13:15 PM

I beg to differ.  There are a lot of vanity plates that have the numbers sandwiched right next to the letters.  And you're forgetting about the current series of plates that is exactly like that, i.e. "R65 1234".

Impossible due to 6-character maximum.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

oscar

Catching up with discussion upthread of Canadian plates, both the Northwest Territories and Nunavut (which used to be part of NT) are one-plate jurisdictions.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on August 02, 2015, 08:13:52 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 02, 2015, 07:13:15 PM

Impossible due to 6-character maximum.

Illinois has a 7 character maximum.  My own standard-issue, non-vanity Illinois plates have 7 characters, all numbers.  See the plates here: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/licenseplates.html  A closer look at the passenger plates: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/passenger.html
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Big John

^^ Odd thing is for most states, Vanity and Personalized plates are synonymous terms, but not in Illinois where vanity plates (all numbers or all letters) are $47 more annually than a $47 personalized plate fee (combination of letters and numbers)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.