News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 28, 2019, 07:30:03 PM
I've never driven in New York before, what are the roads like there? Is it too crowded?
Please stop spamming all of these topics. This question is... not really conducive to the discussion of roads.

tolbs17

Quote from: Alps on July 28, 2019, 08:41:46 PM
I've never driven in New York before, what are the roads like there? Is it too crowded?
Please stop spamming all of these topics. This question is... not really conducive to the discussion of roads.

Alright, I've never been to New York really, and I should probably stop posting on here unless it has something to do with the roads.

KEVIN_224

Was in the Bronx, Queens and Manhattan on Saturday. From what I could see from the Amtrak train in the Bronx (before the Hell Gate Bridge heading south/east), the BGS gantries for the Sheridan Expressway still show as I-895.

Alps

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on July 30, 2019, 01:07:08 PM
Was in the Bronx, Queens and Manhattan on Saturday. From what I could see from the Amtrak train in the Bronx (before the Hell Gate Bridge heading south/east), the BGS gantries for the Sheridan Expressway still show as I-895.
Correct. There's next to no NY 895 signage yet anywhere.

vdeane

Quote from: Alps on July 30, 2019, 08:38:48 PM
Correct. There's next to no NY 878 signage yet anywhere.
I would hope that there wouldn't be any NY 878 signage on/for the Sheridan.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on July 30, 2019, 08:59:53 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 30, 2019, 08:38:48 PM
Correct. There's next to no NY 878 signage yet anywhere.
I would hope that there wouldn't be any NY 878 signage on/for the Sheridan.
Blah, good catch.

Mergingtraffic

Enjoy these while you can:

and an older I pic I took a couple years ago:
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

webny99

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 28, 2019, 11:47:34 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 28, 2019, 08:41:46 PM

Alright, I've never been to New York really, and I should probably stop posting on here unless it has something to do with the roads.

The roads in the New York City part of New York are very congested (yes, "too crowded", IMO). The roads in the non-city part of New York, also known as Upstate,  are no different than the roads anywhere else in the US. Maybe even better, once you get north of the 42nd parallel!  :)

Mergingtraffic

More button copy disappearing, I noticed on I-678 NB all the button copy is gone at least up until the GCP.

This FDR Drive sign is gone.  I just took the pic about a month and half ago.

Plutonic Panda

Car traffic in Manhattan moving at slowest pace in decades: report

QuoteManhattan's notoriously fast pace is slowing down – at least for drivers.

Data released by the city Department of Transportation Thursday shows the average speed of vehicles in the borough below 60th St. was a paltry 7 mph last year.

- https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-dot-mobility-report-polly-trottenberg-20190815-bulpauf6v5gddczbq4wrm2xtuy-story.html

Record levels of tourism and pedestrians... lol and surely that nothing to do with all of the projects removing car lanes and adding bus and bike lanes. Articles like this are posted likely as an attempt to dupe car drivers into thinking the politicians and planners are aware of this yet don't realize that this is a goal of these people. Classic.

Alps

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 16, 2019, 03:23:13 PM
Car traffic in Manhattan moving at slowest pace in decades: report

QuoteManhattan's notoriously fast pace is slowing down – at least for drivers.

Data released by the city Department of Transportation Thursday shows the average speed of vehicles in the borough below 60th St. was a paltry 7 mph last year.

- https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-dot-mobility-report-polly-trottenberg-20190815-bulpauf6v5gddczbq4wrm2xtuy-story.html

Record levels of tourism and pedestrians... lol and surely that nothing to do with all of the projects removing car lanes and adding bus and bike lanes. Articles like this are posted likely as an attempt to dupe car drivers into thinking the politicians and planners are aware of this yet don't realize that this is a goal of these people. Classic.
Don't forget Zero Vision!

Plutonic Panda

Right! How can anyone die from car accidents if no one is moving!

Duke87

The advent of app-based taxi services has certatinly been a contributing factor to increased congestion, and DOT is not wrong to identify this as such.

Though yes, lane reductions, in some cases, are also a contributing factor - but of course they're not going to draw attention to this since it would go against the city's policy agenda to criticize that practice.

Two other things not yet mentioned here or in the article that are worth pointing out:
- 2010 was a recession year. Some of that 23% increase in congestion since then can be attributed to a stronger economy.
- While the city's population is actually now estimated to be trending downward (since 2017), there are still a couple hundred thousand more people living here now than there were in 2010. All else being equal, population growth that is not offset by increasing transportation capacity will naturally beget increased congestion.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Plutonic Panda

The DOT is wrong to acknowledge certain factors like ride sharing and not the results of their own practices. The government works for us, not the other way around.

Mergingtraffic

https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.DYN_PROJECT_DETAILS.show?p_arg_names=p_pin&p_arg_values=X05171

A project to allow trucks on the GCP from the Triboro to the BQE.  I thought that was already done?

Duke87

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on August 19, 2019, 07:46:00 PM
https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.DYN_PROJECT_DETAILS.show?p_arg_names=p_pin&p_arg_values=X05171

A project to allow trucks on the GCP from the Triboro to the BQE.  I thought that was already done?

Sooo...

QuoteThe current status of the project is Future Development.
The Bid Opening is expected to be in Fall 2018.
Construction is expected to begin in Winter 2018/2019.

Based on the claim of future development but with anticipated dates in the past, I don't think this an actual project. It, like many "projects" that make it onto the website is pure vaporware.

Insofar as trucks on that stretch of the Triborough Bridge Approach go... yes, there once was a complete ban on trucks there, and that was relaxed years ago. However, there are still size limits in place. Trucks with more than 3 axles, more than 10 wheels, or that are greater than 12'6" in height are still required to exit and use the service road. So, this "project" presumably would have involved reconstruction of that segment of road to have thicker pavement to support larger vehicle loads, and possibly a lowering of the roadway to increase clearance under the 31st St overpass.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Duke87 on August 21, 2019, 08:21:21 PM

Sooo...

Based on the claim of future development but with anticipated dates in the past, I don't think this an actual project. It, like many "projects" that make it onto the website is pure vaporware.

Insofar as trucks on that stretch of the Triborough Bridge Approach go... yes, there once was a complete ban on trucks there, and that was relaxed years ago. However, there are still size limits in place. Trucks with more than 3 axles, more than 10 wheels, or that are greater than 12'6" in height are still required to exit and use the service road. So, this "project" presumably would have involved reconstruction of that segment of road to have thicker pavement to support larger vehicle loads, and possibly a lowering of the roadway to increase clearance under the 31st St overpass.

This was what I remember
https://qns.com/story/2017/12/15/trucks-will-permitted-grand-central-parkway-astoria-ending-soul-piercing-noise-local-streets/

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on July 31, 2019, 07:55:51 PM
non-city part of New York, also known as Upstate

Ogdensburg and Oyster Bay both might have something to say about that definition–but there's another whole thread for that already. ;-)

Alps

Quote from: empirestate on August 30, 2019, 01:31:36 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 31, 2019, 07:55:51 PM
non-city part of New York, also known as Upstate

Ogdensburg and Oyster Bay both might have something to say about that definition–but there's another whole thread for that already. ;-)
He said New York, not Long Island.

SteveG1988

Quote from: Duke87 on August 21, 2019, 08:21:21 PM

Sooo...

It's done. If your truck is 13 ft 11 inches or less, you're  allowed on it.

https://newyorktruckstop.com/2018/10/04/astoria-queens-brooklyn-queens-expressway/
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Mergingtraffic

A minute of 1980's button copy in Queens.

roadman65

Is the Battery Park Underpass on the FDR Drive below Sea Level?  I heard it mentioned that the underpass drops below the Brooklyn- Batter Tunnel Tubes and not over them as one would think, so I would imagine it would be.

Heck, the I-395 tunnel in DC is below Sea Level so it is not really that uncommon I guess for a situation like this.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on September 07, 2019, 11:14:49 AM
Is the Battery Park Underpass on the FDR Drive below Sea Level?  I heard it mentioned that the underpass drops below the Brooklyn- Batter Tunnel Tubes and not over them as one would think, so I would imagine it would be.

Heck, the I-395 tunnel in DC is below Sea Level so it is not really that uncommon I guess for a situation like this.

It probably is, as (almost?) anything below ground in and around Battery Park (with the exception of the land immediately surrounding Castle Clinton, although that probably wasn't even there to begin with!) was filled in via landfill.

SignBridge

The underpass might be below sea level but even if it is, I would assume that it is above the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel. The tunnel I think starts downhill right at the portal but the underpass should be level once you enter it.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on September 07, 2019, 09:16:09 PM
The underpass might be below sea level but even if it is, I would assume that it is above the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel. The tunnel I think starts downhill right at the portal but the underpass should be level once you enter it.
No, it's below.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.