News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-90 rebuilding and widening

Started by bahnburner, September 08, 2015, 10:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

Quote from: hobsini2 on October 13, 2016, 06:42:06 AM
Quote from: quickshade on October 12, 2016, 11:21:51 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on October 12, 2016, 07:10:46 AM
Joe, I couldn't tell you that but I do think that the wise idea would be to have the 290 ramps be a full toll free interchange due to the frequent backups of the current ramps.

But the tollbooth isn't the problem on the ramp, its that the ramp goes from 2 lanes to 4 lanes for the tollbooth down to a one lane merger, uphill, onto the local lanes of which many people are trying to exit. So getting rid of the tollbooth does nothing unless you expand the ramp to at least 2 lanes and change how you merge onto 290.
Getting rid of the tollbooth on the 290 ramps eliminates the need for that kind of ramp configuration. So yes the issue does have to do with those plazas.

This.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

johndoe780

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on October 12, 2016, 11:13:52 PM
Quote from: johndoe780 on October 12, 2016, 10:41:12 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on October 11, 2016, 07:24:30 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on October 10, 2016, 10:25:03 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on October 10, 2016, 08:47:10 PM
There are currently two message boards on Meacham Road, one for each direction, giving the toll rates  for the future ramps for WB I-90 (45 cents for I-Pass, 90 cents for paying online), and a message board on WB I-90 also giving the future toll rate.  The message boards also mention November, but didn't specify an exact date or what half of the month.

I drove the Meacham Road overpass yesterday, and it basically appears to be done. It looks like mainly there is some overall minor work at the end of the ramps that needs to finish, and traffic signal/remaining light pole installation, and this will basically be ready to go. This could very well be ready by the beginning of November, if they work at a decent pace.

Also, I have noticed that they pavement and toll gantry on the Eastbound Roselle Rd off-ramp appears to be coming together pretty well now. I would predict that should be ready by the end of November/Early December. I just get the feeling the Eastbound off-ramp at Barrington Rd. might be delayed (the new Eastbound on-ramp and Westbound off-ramps are just taking forever for some reason, and that loop is in the way of the new Eastbound off-ramp). However, the Westbound on-ramp looks like it may have a chance of being ready there. If they at least have those two by the end of the year, plus Meacham Rd, it will make a difference overall (in that the combination of Roselle Rd. and Barrington Rd. will essentially be a "full" interchange for the time being).

and with them tolling the Roselle Rd and Barrington Rd on ramps that used to be free will they de toll the I-290 exit?  some kind or virtual ticket discount?

I saw this today when getting on the Barrington rd ramp today compared to the 59 ramp on my usual commute going I-90 eastbound. What the heck is the point of this toll? I can easily bypass it by driving 2 miles west on 59.

They need to toll the 59 ramps and beverly rd ramps and remove the ones at I-290 / IL-53 or redo the system like the EOE

Huh? Currently I get on from 59 and drive to the kennedy, only paying toll at devon ave.

With your method, I would get on from 59, pay toll, drive to the kennedy, pay toll again at devon, and I wouldn't even have the benefit of a better interchange as in barrington rd and roselle road.

Revive 755

and with them tolling the Roselle Rd and Barrington Rd on ramps that used to be free will they de toll the I-290 exit?  some kind or virtual ticket discount?

I saw this today when getting on the Barrington rd ramp today compared to the 59 ramp on my usual commute going I-90 eastbound. What the heck is the point of this toll? I can easily bypass it by driving 2 miles west on 59.

Supposedly to help pay for the cost of rebuilding the Roselle and Barrington interchanges. 

I think there will be some traffic that is currently using the EB entrances at Roselle and Barrington that will shift to the free entrances at IL 53/I-290 and IL 59, and am also curious to see how much traffic really uses the new WB ramps to/from Meacham, given the proximity of the free WB exits at I-290/IL 53.

Quote from: johndoe780 on October 13, 2016, 09:54:28 PM
Huh? Currently I get on from 59 and drive to the kennedy, only paying toll at devon ave.

With your method, I would get on from 59, pay toll, drive to the kennedy, pay toll again at devon, and I wouldn't even have the benefit of a better interchange as in barrington rd and roselle road.

Is that any worse than how if I get on at Randall to go EB, I get to pay the mainline toll, then I get hit up with additional tolls to exit at IL 59 after only traveling ~6.8 miles (minimum I-Pass toll of $1.05)?  Or if I get on at IL 25 I get asked for more tolls to exit after only ~2.8 miles (minimum I-Pass toll of 85 cents)?  Now I don't feel quite as bad about the new tolls for EB at Roselle and Barrington.

Plus, for IL 59 you should be getting some benefit from traffic that used to turn onto IL 59 to access I-90 getting on elsewhere - the left turn arrow for WB IL 72 to SB IL 59 will probably not be up as long in the evenings once the WB entrance at Barrington opens.

Plus I've heard that a lot of the traffic entering from the Beverly Road entrance is actually traffic bypassing the tolled EB entrance at IL 25.

(Edited to fix incorrect toll amounts)

johndoe780

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 13, 2016, 10:28:37 PM

Supposedly to help pay for the cost of rebuilding the Roselle and Barrington interchanges. 

I think there will be some traffic that is currently using the EB entrances at Roselle and Barrington that will shift to the free entrances at IL 53/I-290 and IL 59, and am also curious to see how much traffic really uses the new WB ramps to/from Meacham, given the proximity of the free WB exits at I-290/IL 53.

Is that any worse than how if I get on at Randall to go EB, I get to pay the mainline toll, then I get hit up with additional tolls to exit at IL 59 after only traveling ~6.8 miles (minimum I-Pass toll of $1.05)?  Or if I get on at IL 25 I get asked for more tolls to exit after only ~2.8 miles (minimum I-Pass toll of 85 cents)?  Now I don't feel quite as bad about the new tolls for EB at Roselle and Barrington.

Plus, for IL 59 you should be getting some benefit from traffic that used to turn onto IL 59 to access I-90 getting on elsewhere - the left turn arrow for WB IL 72 to SB IL 59 will probably not be up as long in the evenings once the WB entrance at Barrington opens.

Plus I've heard that a lot of the traffic entering from the Beverly Road entrance is actually traffic bypassing the tolled EB entrance at IL 25.

Agreed, I-90 is higher priced than a similar route on I-88. However depending upon morning rush hour traffic, I'd rather pay the $0.45 and easily save 10 minutes than driving around in a circle.

However I can also use your logic and say they actually rebuilt the randall, 31, and 25 interchange. They haven't even touched the 59 interchange, nor has IDOT actually fixed the synced any lights, nor properly fixed any intersections (I drive north on 59 to get onto EB 59.) The golf and 59 intersection is no fix. There should be a dedicated right turn lane from northbound 59 to east golf.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: johndoe780 on October 13, 2016, 11:01:16 PM

Agreed, I-90 is higher priced than a similar route on I-88. However depending upon morning rush hour traffic, I'd rather pay the $0.45 and easily save 10 minutes than driving around in a circle.

However I can also use your logic and say they actually rebuilt the randall, 31, and 25 interchange. They haven't even touched the 59 interchange, nor has IDOT actually fixed the synced any lights, nor properly fixed any intersections (I drive north on 59 to get onto EB 59.) The golf and 59 intersection is no fix. There should be a dedicated right turn lane from northbound 59 to east golf.

In defense of the tollway on the IL-59 interchange, that was actually rebuilt and expanded in the early 90s, and I remember riding through there as a kid. Only a couple years later they built the Beverly Road interchange. This basically was to coincide with the Sears Corporate Center opening at the time. So, honestly, the tollway really doesn't need to do much with this. However, I am in agreement with the poor synchronization of the stoplights by IDOT (but this is no different from any other IDOT roadway).

I-39

The Randall Road interchange was not rebuilt as part of this project, they only did minor repairs to the ramps. They'll need to address the Randall Road interchange when Randall is widened to six lanes through that area (which is kind of already a need if you ask me). The Randall interchange needs to be reconfigured into either a SPUI or a DDI.

It will be interesting to see how the I-290/IL-53 system interchange with I-90 functions once the rebuild/widen is complete, considering that they completely failed to address the ramps (reconfiguration-wise). I have a feeling in a decade or so from now, they'll start talking about the need to rebuild/reconfigure the interchange. Simply removing the toll plazas (like they did initially with the Cherry Valley interchange) won't do (though they should remove them and simply raise nearby tolls to help offset lost revenue), there are geometrical deficiencies with the interchange as well that need to be addressed.

johndoe780

Quote from: I-39 on October 14, 2016, 08:39:44 PM

The Randall Road interchange was not rebuilt as part of this project, they only did minor repairs to the ramps. They'll need to address the Randall Road interchange when Randall is widened to six lanes through that area (which is kind of already a need if you ask me). The Randall interchange needs to be reconfigured into either a SPUI or a DDI.

It will be interesting to see how the I-290/IL-53 system interchange with I-90 functions once the rebuild/widen is complete, considering that they completely failed to address the ramps (reconfiguration-wise). I have a feeling in a decade or so from now, they'll start talking about the need to rebuild/reconfigure the interchange. Simply removing the toll plazas (like they did initially with the Cherry Valley interchange) won't do (though they should remove them and simply raise nearby tolls to help offset lost revenue), there are geometrical deficiencies with the interchange as well that need to be addressed.

What they could do for an instant fix is get rid of the cash lane and make all 3 lanes cashless ipass lanes. Kind of like how the new elgin o'hare tolls are.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: johndoe780 on October 14, 2016, 10:56:10 PM
Quote from: I-39 on October 14, 2016, 08:39:44 PM

What they could do for an instant fix is get rid of the cash lane and make all 3 lanes cashless ipass lanes. Kind of like how the new elgin o'hare tolls are.

what about just putting tolls on each ramp from elgin to Chicago and make it like the 407?

Or just removing the tolls on I-290 / IL-53 toll exit's and adding them to IL-59 and Beverly Road to make it each side the same. Or make so enter at Roselle and Barrington and I-290 / IL-53 is FREE (ipass / ezpass only)

quickshade

The Randall road fixes and rebuild most likely won't happen unless the rest of the rebuild happens which has a lot of moving parts to it. So I wouldn't expect that for another 5-10 years. I can't remember but I believe that the ramps were only partially rebuilt and realigned into the existing ones.

As for the I90 and 53/290 interchange. They have structured the off ramps and on ramps with longer leadoffs plus the traffic from 53 north to I90 west has a much longer lead in until it hits mainline 90 allowing traffic to get up to speed before it enters the main tollway. I think the thought was to structure it in such away that any backups on 53/290 don't affect mainline 90 in either direction which is a good move considering IDOT wasn't going to give up any money to rebuild the interchange. It'll have to be rebuilt at some point but the tollway did a good job of making sure their plans solved the traffic issues that they were able to control.

Revive 755

Quote from: quickshade on October 16, 2016, 11:14:21 AM
The Randall road fixes and rebuild most likely won't happen unless the rest of the rebuild happens which has a lot of moving parts to it. So I wouldn't expect that for another 5-10 years. I can't remember but I believe that the ramps were only partially rebuilt and realigned into the existing ones.

Rumor has it Kane County is, at this time, not going to do a big Randall Road six-laning project, but is instead going to slowly go to six lanes via improvements at individual intersections.

Quote from: quickshade on October 16, 2016, 11:14:21 AMAs for the I90 and 53/290 interchange. They have structured the off ramps and on ramps with longer leadoffs plus the traffic form 53 north to I90 west has a much longer lead in until it hits mainline 90 allowing traffic to get up to speed before it enters the main tollway. I think the thought was to structure it in such away that any backups on 53/290 don't affect mainline 90 in either direction which is a good move considering IDOT wasn't going to give up any money to rebuild the interchange. It'll have to be rebuilt at some point but the tollway did a good job of making sure their plans solved the traffic issues that they were able to control.

I wonder how much it would have cost them, or if it would have been feasible, to try braiding one or two of the loop ramps as an interim improvement?  Example from the Minneapolis area.

Joe The Dragon

It looks like there will be aux lanes

Lee street to I-294

I-290 / IL-53 to Arlington heights road

I-290 / IL-53 to Roselle road

maybe

Arlington heights road to IL-83??

Roselle road to barrington road??

Revive 755

I am 90 percent sure there will not be auxiliary lanes between Barrington and Roselle.

quickshade

Drove it yesterday on my way to Wrigley (GO CUBS!!!) and a lot of it seems mostly done. near the 290/53 interchange most of the work looks done but the concrete divider between the 290 exit and i90. I noticed 2 trucks picking up barriers and another one putting down stripping. Saw a whole section of lights waiting to be put up. Some smaller sections still have no median yet, and the section just after the fox river bridge going east still needs some work but overall most of the project seems to be wrapping up and I would think that most of mainline 90 will be open by end of November or maybe December.

I did notice a lot of work still to be done at Barrington road, however it looked like they are moving now with the ramps being paved and tollbooths being assembled. I did notice the exit from i90 east to Barrington road still has nothing done but that might have to wait until the existing merge ramp is removed.

ILRoad55

^That will be when the finally open the ramp on the other side of Barrington.

quickshade

https://s12.postimg.org/8ozjkxga5/Screen_Shot_2016_10_25_at_3_48_56_PM.png

Here is the proposed interchange for Route 23 in Marengo. I know its a roundabout so I expect a lot of complaints. There a 3 other proposed interchanges that are available options but they would not meet the traffic demands estimated by 2040 so this is the preferred build. They will vote on it next month.

Awaiting roundabout comments in 3....2....1

ET21

Roundabout comment  :bigass:

I don't see a problem with it

Clinched:

ChiMilNet

Quote from: quickshade on October 25, 2016, 04:55:53 PM

Here is the proposed interchange for Route 23 in Marengo. I know its a roundabout so I expect a lot of complaints. There a 3 other proposed interchanges that are available options but they would not meet the traffic demands estimated by 2040 so this is the preferred build. They will vote on it next month.

How feasible will it be to add lanes if needed on Route 23? I know this is close to Wisconsin, but it feels like we took one right out of their playbook.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ChiMilNet on October 25, 2016, 06:02:17 PM

How feasible will it be to add lanes if needed on Route 23? I know this is close to Wisconsin, but it feels like we took one right out of their playbook.

at the mini 2 each way or 1 + wide shoulders.

Great Lakes Roads

I don't see any problems with roundabouts... I love this interchange design!
-Jay Seaburg

I-39

I imagine there will be I-PASS-only toll plazas on the EB and WB exit ramps.

ET21

Quote from: I-39 on October 26, 2016, 05:34:10 PM

Agreed

Clinched:

quickshade

Quote from: ET21 on October 26, 2016, 06:11:41 PM
Quote from: I-39 on October 26, 2016, 05:34:10 PM

Agreed

It is a local share project and while I can't find anything in writing I am pretty sure there will be no toll. but don't quote me on that. BTW glad everyone is happy with the roundabout, might be a first here.

Revive 755

Quote from: quickshade on October 26, 2016, 10:17:49 PM
It is a local share project and while I can't find anything in writing I am pretty sure there will be no toll. but don't quote me on that. BTW glad everyone is happy with the roundabout, might be a first here.

I am pretty confident that at least two of the ramps at IL 23 will be tolled - it seems ISTHA is trying to remove any free movements on their system, based on some of the IL 53 extension documents related to changing the tolls on the Tri-State and bringing back a mainline toll in Deerfield.  Without any toll plazas at the new IL 23 interchange there would be a short but free westbound possibility from US 20 to IL 23, and a much longer free option for EB from I-39 to IL 23.  Not charging for the eastbound exit to IL 23 would also enable a nice shunpike option for the Marengo mainline plaza, via IL 23, Harmony Road, and US 20.

EDIT:  And while the WB free travel stretch would be short, an interchange at IL 23 could certainly make it part of a new way for traffic on US 20 to get around Marengo.

EDIT 2:  Per an update on Schaumburg's website, the new WB ramps to/from Meacham Road and the new EB exit to Roselle Road are supposed to open on November 18.

quickshade

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 27, 2016, 09:47:54 PM
Quote from: quickshade on October 26, 2016, 10:17:49 PM

I am pretty confident that at least two of the ramps at IL 23 will be tolled - it seems ISTHA is trying to remove any free movements on their system, based on some of the IL 53 extension documents related to changing the tolls on the Tri-State and bringing back a mainline toll in Deerfield.

They wanted to make the tolls more fair as then got rid of Deerfield in some cases you can drive longer and pay less then going other ways. But there is no room to re add them unless it's ETC only.

They need to move to full EOE or ETR like tolling on all toll roads.  I-90 needs to remove the tolls to exit to IL-53/I-290 to make it fair for both ways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.