News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95 through the Meadowlands

Started by longhorn, October 27, 2015, 09:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Matté

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 29, 2015, 10:33:36 AM
Looking up the NJ Drivers Manual for another thread, some things caught my eye:

A)  The manual is way longer than it used to be
B)  Pertaining to this thread, there's a section regarding toll booths.  They specifically mention "High Speed EZ Pass Lanes".  (And technically, the correct spelling is E-ZPass, which no one uses except on the EZ Pass websites)

C) My high school driver's ed teacher continues to be right, they never fix the errors, the only changes made is the picture of the governor. Now they don't even have a picture of him, but these two errors that I distinctly remember from c. 2006 are still present:

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 29, 2015, 06:23:41 AM
As incredible as it sounds, those exit numbers were based on I-95 mileage at the time, which started at Exit 6 (as opposed to interchange 6) of the NJ Turnpike.  If you were to do a distance search from the ramp area of the PA Turnpike Extension and the NJ Turnpike Mainline to those exits you are referring to, the exit number should be within 1 mile of the mileage from Exit 6.
I've always heard that the numbers were based on the unbuilt Somerset Freeway.

Quote from: Mr. Matté on October 29, 2015, 12:32:13 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 29, 2015, 10:33:36 AM
Looking up the NJ Drivers Manual for another thread, some things caught my eye:

A)  The manual is way longer than it used to be
B)  Pertaining to this thread, there's a section regarding toll booths.  They specifically mention "High Speed EZ Pass Lanes".  (And technically, the correct spelling is E-ZPass, which no one uses except on the EZ Pass websites)

C) My high school driver's ed teacher continues to be right, they never fix the errors, the only changes made is the picture of the governor. Now they don't even have a picture of him, but these two errors that I distinctly remember from c. 2006 are still present:

I'm pretty sure that it's only coincidence if the route number in a driver's manual matches up with real world conditions.  And the circle really is the MUTCD state route shield.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

akotchi

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 29, 2015, 12:17:06 AM
My I-95 question in New Jersey is just north of the east and west spurs and the Vince Lombardi service area:

Is the US Route 46 exit northbound unsigned NJ Turnpike exit 18?

Why does I-95 continue the mileage-based exit sequence of I-80, considering the 4 miles from the junction in Teaneck to the GW Bridge isn't I-80 at all? Was it so they didn't have to use NJ Turnpike numbered exits, have a separate field of exit 1 to whatever to the GW Bridge...or both?

As I mentioned recently, the NJ Turnpike uses 'Interchanges' to mark their toll barriers and toll plazas.  You're still exiting the road at Exit 5, Exit 11, etc, but that's just lining up with the Interchange you are at.  US 46 is just an unnumbered exit, rather than unsigned Exit 18. The same condition occurs on the southern end of the NJ Turnpike where there's no number for the southbound exit for Rt. 140, along with no number for the northbound exit for US 40.

As incredible as it sounds, those exit numbers were based on I-95 mileage at the time, which started at Exit 6 (as opposed to interchange 6) of the NJ Turnpike.  If you were to do a distance search from the ramp area of the PA Turnpike Extension and the NJ Turnpike Mainline to those exits you are referring to, the exit number should be within 1 mile of the mileage from Exit 6.

Since I-95 is now considered part of the PA Extension, the numbers are a little off now.  But as close and much of a coincidence is it is, those exit numbers are really I-95 mileage based, not I-80 mileage based.

The I-95 exits in Bergen County are numbered based on the originally intended alignment of I-95 through Mercer County, the unbuilt Somerset Expressway, current I-287 and the Turnpike north of Exit 10.  The I-80 interchange, which is signed as Exit 69, is at about Mile 73.5, according to the current Straight Line Diagram, which measures I-95 from the Turnpike Connector Bridge in Bristol PA/Florence NJ.

Interesting to note that before the Turnpike bought the northern section of I-95 from the State in about 1991 (or so), U.S. 46 was signed as Exit 68 in the southbound direction only, prior to entering the Turnpike.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

KEVIN_224

Actually, I think it still is signed that way today. I was heading SOUTH on I-95 Tuesday, so I'm not 100% sure.

akotchi

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 29, 2015, 01:53:54 PM
Actually, I think it still is signed that way today. I was heading SOUTH on I-95 Tuesday, so I'm not 100% sure.
You're right -- it is . . . but only from the I-95 lanes.  Once you cross from the inner lanes (from I-95) to the outer lanes (from I-80) to access the exit ramp, the exit number disappears.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 29, 2015, 08:58:11 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 29, 2015, 08:23:10 AM
I recall reading that New Jersey specifically avoided calling them "high-speed lanes" out of concern people would misinterpret it to mean they could go fast. The issue first arose, IIRC, when they opened the single "express" lane on the Pennsylvania Extension. Since it's not a "true" ORT lane, it has a lower speed limit that is still higher than converted toll plaza lanes have. They didn't want people thinking it was OK to go through that lane at full highway speed.

When they first opened that Int. 6 ORT lane, it was signed at 45 mph.  Today, there's no separate speed limit for that lane, which defaults it to 55 or 65 mph (I forget what's signed in that area) for that stretch of roadway.

Thanks. I remember it being 45 mph. I seldom have reason to go that way. But the 45-mph limit is what I recall reading was the reason for not referring to it as "high speed" E-ZPass.*

*I always spell "E-ZPass" with the hyphen in the proper place!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 29, 2015, 07:40:43 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 29, 2015, 08:58:11 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 29, 2015, 08:23:10 AM
I recall reading that New Jersey specifically avoided calling them "high-speed lanes" out of concern people would misinterpret it to mean they could go fast. The issue first arose, IIRC, when they opened the single "express" lane on the Pennsylvania Extension. Since it's not a "true" ORT lane, it has a lower speed limit that is still higher than converted toll plaza lanes have. They didn't want people thinking it was OK to go through that lane at full highway speed.

When they first opened that Int. 6 ORT lane, it was signed at 45 mph.  Today, there's no separate speed limit for that lane, which defaults it to 55 or 65 mph (I forget what's signed in that area) for that stretch of roadway.

Thanks. I remember it being 45 mph. I seldom have reason to go that way. But the 45-mph limit is what I recall reading was the reason for not referring to it as "high speed" E-ZPass.*

*I always spell "E-ZPass" with the hyphen in the proper place!
*I always find myself correcting technical memos and reports to say "E-ZPass" with the hyphen in the proper place!

Henry

Quote from: ixnay on October 28, 2015, 08:22:47 PM
Quote from: longhorn on October 28, 2015, 10:12:41 AM
RandMcNally and Iphone, and Google mpas states both are I-95, I am sure there is a reason for it, I just want to know why?

My 2015 R-McN, on the main NJ map, shows the NJTP spurs as 95E and 95W.  However, the Newark/Jersey City enlargement (as well as the metro NYC enlargement a few pages later) show both spurs as 95 (no E or W).

ixnay
Can you provide a screenshot of the map?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

empirestate

Quote from: Henry on October 30, 2015, 01:16:48 PM
Quote from: ixnay on October 28, 2015, 08:22:47 PM
Quote from: longhorn on October 28, 2015, 10:12:41 AM
RandMcNally and Iphone, and Google mpas states both are I-95, I am sure there is a reason for it, I just want to know why?

My 2015 R-McN, on the main NJ map, shows the NJTP spurs as 95E and 95W.  However, the Newark/Jersey City enlargement (as well as the metro NYC enlargement a few pages later) show both spurs as 95 (no E or W).

ixnay
Can you provide a screenshot of the map?

How do you make a screenshot of a piece of paper? :confused:

iPhone

mrsman

My I-95 question in New Jersey is just north of the east and west spurs and the Vince Lombardi service area:

Why does I-95 continue the mileage-based exit sequence of I-80, considering the 4 miles from the junction in Teaneck to the GW Bridge isn't I-80 at all? Was it so they didn't have to use NJ Turnpike numbered exits, have a separate field of exit 1 to whatever to the GW Bridge...or both?

As I mentioned recently, the NJ Turnpike uses 'Interchanges' to mark their toll barriers and toll plazas.  You're still exiting the road at Exit 5, Exit 11, etc, but that's just lining up with the Interchange you are at.  US 46 is just an unnumbered exit, rather than unsigned Exit 18. The same condition occurs on the southern end of the NJ Turnpike where there's no number for the southbound exit for Rt. 140, along with no number for the northbound exit for US 40.

Since I-95 is now considered part of the PA Extension, the numbers are a little off now.  But as close and much of a coincidence is it is, those exit numbers are really I-95 mileage based, not I-80 mileage based.

This begs the question, if the Turnpike were to adopt mileage based exit numbers, would the exit numbers on the turnpike north of current exit 6 be based on a zero point at I-95 crossing the River (Penn Turnpike Extension) or from the Delaware Memorial Bridge?  And if they go ahead with mileage based exits would any of the exit numbers on I-95 between I-80 and the GWB need to be changed?   

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on October 30, 2015, 01:52:36 PM

This begs the question, if the Turnpike were to adopt mileage based exit numbers, would the exit numbers on the turnpike north of current exit 6 be based on a zero point at I-95 crossing the River (Penn Turnpike Extension) or from the Delaware Memorial Bridge?  And if they go ahead with mileage based exits would any of the exit numbers on I-95 between I-80 and the GWB need to be changed?   

Or, they can just change the definition of a "mile" to meet their current exits.  In the end, it'll probably be easier.

mrsman

Quote from: Duke87 on October 28, 2015, 08:48:26 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 28, 2015, 01:03:35 PM
The Western Spur has ORT lanes and is likely why the Turnpike encourages people to use that route.  I imagine the Eastern getting the "real" I-95 is due to the Lincoln Tunnel having been I-495 before it was decommissioned.

Nope and nope.

The encouraging of "thru traffic" to use the western spur has existed since before there were any ORT lanes, since before there was even any EZpass at all, and indeed as long as I can remember. The reason, as has been touched on, is to try and segregate Lincoln Tunnel bound traffic (which can only sensibly use the eastern spur) from GWB bound traffic (which can sensibly use either). Using the eastern spur as a thru route is great for avoiding Meadowlands traffic, but of course if everyone did it the benefit would go away so NJTA actively discourages it by lying with their signage and signing the eastern spur as an exit.

As for eastern getting the "real" I-95, it's not (directly) because of 495. It's because that section of the turnpike was designated as I-95 pretty much right when the interstate system was created, whereas the western spur did not open until 1970.

I think because of this confusion, this would be a good candidate for an official suffixed interstate, I-95W and I-95E.  I-95W should be signed as Meadowlands/GW Bridge and I-95E as Lincoln Tunnel/GW Bridge.  Southbound I-95W should be signed as Meadowlands/Trenton and I-95E Secaucus/Trenton.

In my view, I would only allow suffixed interstates where a corridor splits into two and then rejoins sometime later.  I-35 through Dallas/Fort Worth and Minneapolis/St. Paul fits the bill.  I-95 through the Meadowlands fits the bill.

Many of the historic suffixed interstates do not fit the criteria and suffixes should not come back to those routes.  E.g. I-70 in Frederick, Maryland split into I-70N to Baltimore and I-70S to Washington, but the two I-70s never rejoined.  I-70N became I-70 and I-70S became I-270 and that's how it  should remain.

swbrotha100

2016 Rand McNally of New Jersey:

ASUS ZenFone 2E

Alps

Quote from: swbrotha100 on October 30, 2015, 04:56:05 PM

ASUS ZenFone 2E

Lincoln Highway is on the wrong route, therefore everything is wrong.

ixnay

That's right, the new road atlases hit the stands *in high summer* nowadays, don't they?

Oh, and how DO you make screenshots of a piece of paper?

ixnay

kj3400

Quote from: ixnay on October 30, 2015, 08:55:04 PM
That's right, the new road atlases hit the stands *in high summer* nowadays, don't they?

ixnay
A....camera?
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

ixnay

Quote from: kj3400 on October 30, 2015, 08:58:53 PM

ixnay
A....camera?

Looks like that's what swbrotha used for the first step.

But, I was thinking, how do you make screenshots with a printer/scanner like I have. 

ixnay

kj3400

Quote from: ixnay on October 30, 2015, 09:00:42 PM

ixnay
A....camera?

Looks like that's what swbrotha used for the first step.

But, I was thinking, how do you make screenshots with a printer/scanner like I have. 

ixnay
That's easy. Scan the page and upload the resulting photo file.

Edit: I say easy, but that's from my viewpoint.

Duke87

Holy flipping hell. Rand McNally's cartography quality is still degrading I see!

As for mile-based exits on the NJ Turnpike, I imagine that if they are ever forced to change the numbers they will do what most toll roads do and favor their own mainline. Though since they control the remainder of I-95 up to Fletcher Ave they might reasonably renumber all those exits as well to avoid having them jump backwards. This would make the exit numbers go up to 122 or thereabouts.

Which is unideal but still better than a jump backwards from 113 to 68 (or 72 via the exit 6 alignment).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

ixnay
A....camera?

That would be a photograph.

Quote from: kj3400 on October 30, 2015, 09:02:30 PM

That would be a scan.

A screenshot would be a shot–photograph, essentially; a captured image–of a screen. If you took a photo of a map, or scanned it, you might have a mapshot. You can't have a screenshot if there isn't a screen.

iPhone

kj3400

Quote from: empirestate on October 30, 2015, 09:20:51 PM

ixnay
A....camera?

That would be a photograph.

Quote from: kj3400 on October 30, 2015, 09:02:30 PM

That would be a scan.

A screenshot would be a shot—photograph, essentially; a captured image—of a screen. If you took a photo of a map, or scanned it, you might have a mapshot. You can't have a screenshot if there isn't a screen.

iPhone
I was going off an incorrect assumption, my bad. Isn't the easiest way to screenshot something is to press your print screen button? Or use something that uploaded a selected portion of the screen to a site (for example, I use puush)

odditude

Quote from: kj3400 on October 30, 2015, 09:30:22 PM
I was going off an incorrect assumption, my bad. Isn't the easiest way to screenshot something is to press your print screen button? Or use something that uploaded a selected portion of the screen to a site (for example, I use puush)
on Windows, either PrintScreen (for the entire screen buffer, including multiple monitors) or Alt+PrintScreen (for just the window that has focus) will copy an image of the specified region to the Clipboard. you can also use the Snipping Tool in any post-Vista version of Windows.

for the record, just since the keys are nearby - never hit CTRL+ScrollLock on a computer used for development purposes. if a certain development feature is enabled, hilarity will ensue.

1995hoo

Also, FWIW, on an iPhone or iPad to take a screenshot you press the power button and the home button at the same time. Then upload the photo using whatever app supports the hosting service you use.

One way to get a screenshot of a map would be to use a scanner app to create a .PDF and then take a screenshot of that and upload it. But why bother with the extra steps when you could just take a regular photo and upload that?

Thanks for that tip on Alt-PrtScr. I was unaware of that and since I use dual monitors, that's very useful information. Appreciate the tip.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

ASUS ZenFone 2E

Nevermind, I've already seen the proof! And I meant to ask if someone could provide a photo instead of a screenshot. Gosh, I feel so dumb!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

Since we're talking about errors on the NJ maps...does RmN still show NJ 29 as a blue-lined limited access highway between Trenton & I-95?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.