News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minimum speed limits

Started by MillTheRoadgeek, November 19, 2015, 09:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on November 20, 2015, 04:42:38 PM
Quote from: cl94 on November 19, 2015, 10:47:27 PM
Provide an easier reason to pull over/ticket people for going too slow and blocking traffic. New York typically doesn't use them, but the LIE and I-787 have them to keep traffic moving.
NY 27 and NY 135 have them too.

The LIE in particular is so over capacity that a small issue, such as a person driving slow, can create a ripple effect causing traffic jams along the entire length of the expressway lasting for hours. Of course, they won't pull you over if you can't safely go the minimum speed due to traffic or weather conditions.
That's something I've always been concerned about.  I've always wondered what happens if traffic or weather forces one to go below the minimum and then encounter a cop doing speed enforcement.

People don't slow down that much for bad weather. Not in most of New York, at least. Only place in the state I've really seen that is Buffalo. New York also has a law on the books where they can pull you over for going a speed that is unsafe due to conditions.

The goal in Regions 8, 10, and 11 (and a lot of 1) is to keep traffic moving. Pulling someone over slows traffic, especially with the move over law that effectively closes a lane whenever someone is pulled over. At least in the 80s, they only looked for unsafe drivers during peak periods (drunks, driving excessively slow, weaving, driving significantly faster than all other traffic) on LI, basically the stuff that is highly likely to create serious accidents. They save the speed stuff for midday and nights (and they get plenty by hiding behind parkway bridges).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota is incredibly consistent posting the minimums (on combined signs with the maximum) on nearly every Interstate speed limit sign, although in urban cores the minimum is not always posted. I've never seen a minimum speed posted on any other kind of route, though. The minimum is 40 MPH pretty much throughout, except on a couple stretches of 35E and 35W in their river valleys where the minimum is 30-35.

This is what a typical MN Interstate speed limit sign looks like; it even has a line separating the maximum and minimum speeds.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.3674887,-92.7969003,3a,75y,227.41h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3Mw5cIozjqlaKIdJoE7P3Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on November 20, 2015, 10:43:22 PM
People don't slow down that much for bad weather. Not in most of New York, at least. Only place in the state I've really seen that is Buffalo. New York also has a law on the books where they can pull you over for going a speed that is unsafe due to conditions.

The goal in Regions 8, 10, and 11 (and a lot of 1) is to keep traffic moving. Pulling someone over slows traffic, especially with the move over law that effectively closes a lane whenever someone is pulled over. At least in the 80s, they only looked for unsafe drivers during peak periods (drunks, driving excessively slow, weaving, driving significantly faster than all other traffic) on LI, basically the stuff that is highly likely to create serious accidents. They save the speed stuff for midday and nights (and they get plenty by hiding behind parkway bridges).
Northway traffic slows way down for so much as sprinkling.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on November 22, 2015, 01:29:36 PM

That's recent
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

roadman65

Florida used to have them on I-4 in FDOT D5, but they eliminated them. 

FDOT D7 did for I-75 as well, as I see the former signs, as they were two panels on many, had their bottom panel taken out for just the basic speed limit sign.

Also Florida's Turnpike did as well.  It is just 70 mph and no minimum on all of its Central Florida signs.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Heh. Someone could fart in Pretoria and DC drivers would slow down out of concern that the smell indicated a local traffic problem.

Returning to the original topic, I am certain I recall Maryland having signs saying "SPEED LIMIT 50/MINIMUM 40" on various roads in the late 1970s/early 1980s. I have it in mind that the Harbor Tunnel Thruway (which was not yet I-895) is the one I remember the most, though I could not tell you whether that memory is valid or is shrouded in the cobwebs of 35 years of other travel.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on November 22, 2015, 02:28:47 PM

That's recent freakin' annoying

FTFY.  It's ridiculous around here when any amount of water drops from the sky.  What's especially frustrating is that you see people driving who can't see out their windows -- appears to be the failure of our state inspection system. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bzakharin

I don't recall seeing a minimum speed sign in NJ, but I remember being told to treat speed limits as minimum speed signs (obviously when they're > 50 or so) because you might actually be pulled over for going under the speed limit for no legitimate reason, especially if there is traffic on the road trying to go faster.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on November 23, 2015, 12:45:54 PM
I don't recall seeing a minimum speed sign in NJ, but I remember being told to treat speed limits as minimum speed signs (obviously when they're > 50 or so) because you might actually be pulled over for going under the speed limit for no legitimate reason, especially if there is traffic on the road trying to go faster.

I've never heard of that, and unlike what many people think, there are always people going under the speed limit. As long as they're in the right lane, it's usually never a problem.

Now, going under the speed limit in the left lane...that's going to get you noticed, but that's generally also a violation of the Keep Right Except To Pass law.

NJ

I hate minimum speed limit signs... Thankfully NJ/NY doesn't have them.

SD Mapman

South Dakota has them on Interstates (40 mph) (although I doubt anyone ever goes close to the minimum on the Interstate...).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Big John

brycecordry

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 20, 2015, 10:25:05 PM
Missouri used to post a minimum of 40.

I believe that they still do, to a certain extent.
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

cl94

Quote from: NJ on November 25, 2015, 11:42:16 AM
I hate minimum speed limit signs... Thankfully NJ/NY doesn't have them.

New York does in a couple locations

MASTERNC

The only two minimum speed signs I have seen in PA are on the WB Turnpike near the Allegheny Tunnel and on I-95 north of Philadelphia (both have 40 MPH minimums).  Otherwise, there are sometimes signs that say "Use Flashers Below XX MPH", where XX is 15 MPH below the speed limit.

formulanone

Florida has that law (and I'd wager a lot of other states do), and yours truly received that as a violation after he crashed while aquaplaning at 55 in the rain through a posted 55 zone.

Quote from: Big John on January 02, 2016, 11:34:51 AM
Offset from a sine salad post, a speed limit 35, minimum speed 25 in a tunnel in Mobile, AL: https://www.google.com/maps/@30.6930622,-88.030653,3a,75y,265.46h,82.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWbD7_KWvpLbwbA9x0k5zWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I wonder if that's the lowest posted minimum speed limit in the US?

hbelkins

Only place I've ever seen a minimum speed posted in Kentucky is on the freeway portion of KY 4 (New Circle Road) in Lexington. The speed limit is 55 and the posted minimum is 40.

And sounds like in Okieland, you're screwed if you do and you're screwed if you don't. It it's slick and you are driving faster than the minimum, then you're driving too fast for conditions and could probably be cited for that.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

allniter89

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 02, 2016, 08:34:23 PM
The only two minimum speed signs I have seen in PA are on the WB Turnpike near the Allegheny Tunnel and on I-95 north of Philadelphia (both have 40 MPH minimums).  Otherwise, there are sometimes signs that say "Use Flashers Below XX MPH", where XX is 15 MPH below the speed limit.

I think the signs in the mtns of PA are mainly for heavy 18 wheelers climbing hills slowly. I think they may have been posted for I 80 also, I havent been up that way in awhile so I dont merember.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

fwydriver405

Apologise for bumping a 4 almost 5 year old thread... but I just had to post here after a recent drive in Rhode Island.

The highest minimum speed limit I've seen is 55 MPH on Interstate 95 in Rhode Island between Exit 2 (MM4.5) and Exit 6 (MM17.9—
18.4). Thought it was bizarre at first... seems to be posted mostly on the SB side and speed limit signage on that stretch isn't very consistent... one stretch has a minimum limit and the next just the speed limit.

Northbound: 1
Southbound: 1, 2, 3, 4

As for Maine, only the Maine Turnpike Authority posts a 45 minimum speed limit on Interstate 95 between MM2.2 and MM109, 70/45 (formerly 65/45) except for a stretch between Exit 44 and 53 where it is 60/45 (formerly 55/45). Other MTA highways and MaineDOT maintained roads only post the speed limit.

NHDOT typically posts a minimum speed limit of 45 MPH when the speed limit is 65 (70 MPH for I-93 north of Exit 18/~MM45.4). Minimum speed limits are rare in 55 MPH zones. The only static stretch is I-293 between I-93 and Exit 1 in Manchester with a 45 minimum speed limit. Just recently, a rare 40 MPH minimum speed limit with a 55 MPH speed limit was posted on the Spaulding Turnpike between Exit 4 and 6 in the northbound direction only.

kphoger

IMHO, 55 to 65 is an awfully narrow range to expect all vehicles to maintain.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ErmineNotyours

BC signs 'em too.  The wording is "Vehicles incapable 60 km/h ... prohibited," so that accounts for having to go slower in heavy traffic.

oscar

Quote from: SD Mapman on November 25, 2015, 11:52:35 AM
South Dakota has them on Interstates (40 mph) (although I doubt anyone ever goes close to the minimum on the Interstate...).

I've seen them on rural segments of I-29, where the minimum limit is 40mph and the maximum is 80mph. Still allows a high speed differential, but my guess is that the 40mph minimum (and similar minimums in neighboring states with lower maximums) is mainly to help keep farm equipment off the Interstates.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Great Lakes Roads

-Jay Seaburg

michravera

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 07, 2021, 01:48:22 AM
I know that the Indiana Toll Road has a "minimum speed limit" of 45 mph on signs east of Portage.

Example: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6702337,-86.7212735,3a,75y,74.48h,79.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6a1zMZQ6-cpdQTm9tlsO_g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The "MINIMUM 40 when conditions permit" was common in Oregon in the 1970s. I don't recall seeing these signs when I was las therein 2014".

The CVC recognizes the legality of minimum speed limits, but I not sure that I have ever really seen one in California.

Scott5114

In the last six months or so, Oklahoma's minimum speed limit signs on free roads were mysteriously removed and replaced with "NO TOLERANCE" banners, placed under the maximum speed limit signs. Good to know we don't tolerate anyone doing the speed limit, I guess. Minimum speeds are still posted on turnpikes, as far as I've seen. At least the 80 MPH ones.

Also, the stuff Baloo was posting upthread about minimum speed enforcement in poor conditions is fictitious. Whenever OKC gets ice storms, it is understood that the minimum speed does not (did not?) apply in such conditions.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.