News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Casper WY to Lafayette LA

Started by bayoubill, November 20, 2015, 02:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayoubill

I'm planning on flying up to Wyoming to take possession of a truck I purchased on eBay, and drive it back to Louisiana.

With winter coming, I 'spect I'll probably want to wait until Spring to do this.

The truck, a '53 Chevy 1-1/2-ton flatbed, has a top speed of around 50 mph, so I'll probably avoid interstate highways as much as possible.

Any suggestions regarding routes, overnight stops (state parks, motels, etc.), and sights to see along the way would be much appreciated... :-')

btw, I tried to copy and paste a picture of the truck, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work...  :confused:
"TRAVELING IS LIKE DANCING LESSONS FROM GOD."
{graffito found on the wall of an El Paso truck-stop men's room, May 14, 1973}

froggie

QuoteWith winter coming, I 'spect I'll probably want to wait until Spring to do this.

Probably a safe bet here.

sipes23

We got the first couple of our 80-something inches of snow today. Good plan.

usends

Quote from: bayoubill on November 20, 2015, 02:19:04 AM
...has a top speed of around 50 mph, so I'll probably avoid interstate highways as much as possible...

Lots of ways to approach this.  Clearly, getting to Lafayette fast isn't possible, but avoiding freeways allows you to choose from a myriad of slower roads.  So my inclination would be to find the most direct route possible, in order to keep fuel costs down.  On this map, I drew a straight line from Casper to Lafayette, and then came up with a route (mostly along non-freeways) that closely follows that line.  Of course there are lots of ways that route could be altered, based on sites you want to see along the way, places where you want to stop for the night, etc.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

noelbotevera

This is my attempt. I avoided freeways as much as possible, but you will get on interstates for some short stretches (I'd say you'd be on an interstate for about 35 miles tops with my attempt).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zfTdgCQUU-PI.kZkpqYSJ-tUo

Edit: Oops, I meant for you to take US 34. Note that some interstate stretches are my mistake, but I-25 between exit 14B-49 is unavoidable. Usually though there's light traffic until you hit Colorado Springs, so you should be fine on that stretch. Other than three freeway stretches, I think you'll be fine.

corco

If it were me, my objective would be to maximize scenery while sort of minimizing distance, staying on roads that have minimal traffic but are travelled frequently enough that if my '53 Chevy blew up, help would be accessible.

With that in mind, I'd probably take US-26 to N-61/K-161 to US-36 (visiting the geographic center of the Lower 48 in Lebanon), to US-73 to US-59 to OK-1/AR-88 (Talimena Drive) to US 71 to US 371 to US 71 to US 167.

I've done about 90% of that drive in various pieces. 36 is my favorite way to get across the territory between I-80 and I-40 in terms of scenicness/interestingness, and then that gets you into the hilly and scenic parts of Kansas and Oklahoma for the traverse south. US 26 is pretty cool through Nebraska, goes by Chimney Rock and generally passes through some interesting terrain.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.