AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom  (Read 133037 times)

ErmineNotyours

• Last Login: Today at 12:19:59 AM
Re: This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom
« Reply #1075 on: November 07, 2019, 10:23:27 PM »

I remember Omni Magazine stating that nobody knows which of the two Dakotas was admitted to the Union first, because they were admitted at about the same time, and the present who signed the orders covered his hand and nobody could see which state he signed in first.

bing101

• Last Login: August 05, 2020, 09:46:08 PM
« Reply #1076 on: November 29, 2019, 12:50:14 PM »

Yes Half as interesting did a segment on Islands

vdeane

• Last Login: Today at 03:27:16 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #1077 on: November 30, 2019, 05:43:20 PM »

That particular episode seems to be a plug for the third "season" of the creator's podcast Extremities, which itself could qualify for this thread, given its focus on people living in geographically remote places.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bing101

« Reply #1078 on: December 06, 2019, 11:22:03 AM »

In this video there is an explanation on how Google Maps are different varying on country borders.

bing101

« Reply #1079 on: December 24, 2019, 12:48:02 PM »

Monowi the incorporated town with one person

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 03:29:30 PM
« Reply #1080 on: December 28, 2019, 06:06:12 AM »

Due to Earth not being a perfect sphere, even if the 49th Parallel segment of the USA/Canada border was exactly at 49°N it wouldn't still be a perfect straight line. In fact a straight line from the Lake of the Woods to the Strait of Georgia drifts North of the border, reaching up to 100 km into Canada halfway along it near Maple Creek, Saskatchewan.
Proud of having clinched all North Dakota Interstates... on Street View.

There's no such thing as a "multi-state route", it's just as many state routes as states implied that happen to have the same number.

All times 6 hours behind my real time unless otherwise noted.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 02:53:05 PM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #1081 on: December 28, 2019, 04:05:35 PM »

Due to Earth not being a perfect sphere, even if the 49th Parallel segment of the USA/Canada border was exactly at 49°N it wouldn't still be a perfect straight line. In fact a straight line from the Lake of the Woods to the Strait of Georgia drifts North of the border, reaching up to 100 km into Canada halfway along it near Maple Creek, Saskatchewan.

A perfectly straight line between those two points would be completely underground.

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: August 05, 2020, 07:19:21 PM
« Reply #1082 on: December 28, 2019, 05:20:07 PM »

This is not due to the Earth not being a perfect sphere. The line you speak of would still go north in the same way you describe even if the Earth were the mathematically ideal sphere.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Terry

• Last Login: July 28, 2020, 01:14:52 PM
« Reply #1083 on: December 31, 2019, 04:55:48 PM »

The 49th parallel should be many short chords that intersect 49 degrees N. However, with the best survey methods available at the time, the border monuments wander to the north and south of 49. Here's a chart from the Degree Confluence Project that show more of the extreme survey monument cairns that deviate from the 49th. The furthest north is around the Abbotsford, B.C. airport (monuments 4 & 5) while the southernmost point is monument 347, east of Coutts, Alberta.

http://confluence.org/country.php?id=3

Story on the history of the border: https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/a-not-so-straight-story/ or https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:SklK_wN5lCgJ:https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/a-not-so-straight-story/+&cd=30&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&mtrref=www.google.ca&assetType=REGIWALL&mtrref=webcache.googleusercontent.com&assetType=REGIWALL&mtrref=webcache.googleusercontent.com&assetType=REGIWALL&mtrref=webcache.googleusercontent.com&gwh=E0A0097D36F8C8BC2A6F9CEAEDF5A264&gwt=pay&assetType=REGIWALL

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

« Reply #1084 on: January 05, 2020, 06:12:35 AM »

Taiwan is a real-life Alanland in that is and is not China at the same time. The official name of the country commonly known as "Taiwan" is Republic of China, thus making it part of China, but at the same time it is not de facto part of the country commonly known as "China", i.e. the People's Republic of China.

Then there are the Jinmen or Kinmen islands, which are neither China nor Taiwan. They are not part of the PRC (thus not "China") but of the RoC, which doesn't consider them part of Taiwan either but a separate Fujian province. So there are actually two Fujian provinces: The PRC one and the RoC one.
This is not due to the Earth not being a perfect sphere. The line you speak of would still go north in the same way you describe even if the Earth were the mathematically ideal sphere.

I stand corrected. It is due to Earth's own shape, not due to it not being a perfect sphere.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:15:58 AM by CNGL-Leudimin »

There's no such thing as a "multi-state route", it's just as many state routes as states implied that happen to have the same number.

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 01:15:39 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #1085 on: January 05, 2020, 02:02:50 PM »

The above is not really true—for pretty much all intents and purposes, Taiwan is an independent country. Whether you recognize it as such depends on whether you feel the need to kiss the PRC's ass or not.

The government in residence on Taiwan is the same government that ruled China before the PRC was established. When the PRC took over, they lost de facto control over mainland China and only were able to keep control over Taiwan. But they still claimed de jure control over all of China, and were part of the UN under the name "China" (representing mainland China as well) for decades after the PRC was established. This was due to the West not wanting to recognize the Communist PRC regime, until finally everyone bowed to reality and admitted the PRC as the government of China.

Meanwhile, the PRC asserts that they also control Taiwan, even though it is de facto controlled by the Republic of China. But if anyone implies Taiwan is not part of the PRC, they throw a tantrum, because the PRC government is run by babies.

empirestate

• Last Login: August 03, 2020, 07:23:52 PM
    • Empire State Roads
« Reply #1086 on: January 08, 2020, 12:51:53 PM »

I stand corrected. It is due to Earth's own shape, not due to it not being a perfect sphere.

Right, it's due to the 49th parallel not being a great circle (the equator is the only parallel that is), nor a rhumb line (a line of constant bearing, which describes a helical sort of shape on the Earth's surface but a straight line on mariners' charts).

TheGrassGuy

• Last Login: August 01, 2020, 10:16:03 AM
« Reply #1087 on: January 08, 2020, 01:44:13 PM »

The above is not really true—for pretty much all intents and purposes, Taiwan is an independent country. Whether you recognize it as such depends on whether you feel the need to kiss the PRC's ass or not.

The government in residence on Taiwan is the same government that ruled China before the PRC was established. When the PRC took over, they lost de facto control over mainland China and only were able to keep control over Taiwan. But they still claimed de jure control over all of China, and were part of the UN under the name "China" (representing mainland China as well) for decades after the PRC was established. This was due to the West not wanting to recognize the Communist PRC regime, until finally everyone bowed to reality and admitted the PRC as the government of China.

Meanwhile, the PRC asserts that they also control Taiwan, even though it is de facto controlled by the Republic of China. But if anyone implies Taiwan is not part of the PRC, they throw a tantrum, because the PRC government is run by babies.
It's a LOOOOOOONG story.

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

« Reply #1088 on: January 25, 2020, 07:25:11 AM »

This:
South by car;
Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca, Mexico
15°39'42.1"N 96°30'28.3"W

At first, I was surprised you hadn't been to the Cañón del Sumidero, Tuxtla Gtz, or San Cristóbal.  But then I realized I was forgetting how far south the coastline of Oaxaca sweeps.  And Zipolite is about as far south along there as you can get—at the same latitude as Pijijiapan, Chis.

-------------------------------
Meanwhile, the PRC asserts that they also control Taiwan, even though it is de facto controlled by the Republic of China.

Not entirely true. "China" (the PRC) admits they don't control Taiwan, and as such they don't maintain a symbolic Taiwan provincial government. They even have dropped the G99 expressway from their plans, which called for a ring around Taiwan, much like G98 around Hainan. But of course this doesn't mean they have renounced their claim.

vdeane

• Last Login: Today at 03:27:16 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #1089 on: January 25, 2020, 11:19:26 PM »

This:
South by car;
Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca, Mexico
15°39'42.1"N 96°30'28.3"W

At first, I was surprised you hadn't been to the Cañón del Sumidero, Tuxtla Gtz, or San Cristóbal.  But then I realized I was forgetting how far south the coastline of Oaxaca sweeps.  And Zipolite is about as far south along there as you can get—at the same latitude as Pijijiapan, Chis.

-------------------------------
Meanwhile, the PRC asserts that they also control Taiwan, even though it is de facto controlled by the Republic of China.

Not entirely true. "China" (the PRC) admits they don't control Taiwan, and as such they don't maintain a symbolic Taiwan provincial government. They even have dropped the G99 expressway from their plans, which called for a ring around Taiwan, much like G98 around Hainan. But of course this doesn't mean they have renounced their claim.
And yet they still force companies to apologise for making shirts with China that don't include Taiwan.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.