[October 8th 2016] Birmingham Road Meet

Started by codyg1985, December 21, 2015, 01:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 30, 2016, 03:52:31 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2016, 03:46:49 PM
Did the Alabama gas shortages and gas price hikes resolve themselves now that the pipeline has been repaired?

In the Huntsville area, they are hovering around $2/gal right now. Seems to be the same around Birmingham as well.

I'll take it. 20 cents cheaper than where I am.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

Can anyone recommend any good convenience store chains or regional chains for lunch and gas stops in western Kentucky, west Tennessee or northewestern Alabama? I'm familiar with Huck's and Casey's. Are there any other similar chains? I know better than to expect the equivalent of Sheetz in that area.

Plans pretty much set for the trip. Leave work Wednesday and spend the night in southern Indiana (a/k/a Louisville). Thursday, head to Owensboro to drive the new freeway portion of US 60/US 231, head to Henderson and then south on the Pennyrile Parkway to see the new I-69/WK/Pennyrile interchange, then across the new Eggners Ferry Bridge on US 68/KY 80. Take KY 402 (old KY 80) to Mayfield, then south on the Purchase Parkway and clinch US 45E. Head north on US 45W to Union City to clinch it, then make my way back to Jackson, where I will probably overnight Thursday.

Friday, finish US 45 in Tennesee, then make my way back north and east to Lawrenceburg, then finish US 43 in Alabama, get the three counties I need in the northwestern part of the state to fill in some holes on my map, then head over to the Birmingham area. Staying Friday night in Fultondale and Saturday night near Bessemer. I will be clinching I-459 at some point during the weekend.

Sunday, my plans are to finish out US 411 from its southern terminus to I-75 in Georgia. I will have to venture north on US 27 out of Rome to fill in a county hole in Georgia. Then I'll head to Madisonville to see if the old triangle TN 68 "TENN" sign is still there downtown, then over to Townsend to head back on US 321 to clinch it in Tennessee. I'll be staying somewhere Sunday night but I don't know where yet.

Not a whole lot of interstate driving planned for the trip, and that's by design. Once I get to I-75 in Georgia, I'm not sure if I want to use it via Chattanooga to get to the Madisonville exit, or if I want to continue on US 411. I've gotten to where I despise the heavy traffic on 75, and a wreck can bottle up travel progress for hours.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

I-20/59 just east of Tuscaloosa can be hairy at times due to wrecks and just slow traffic in the work zone to expand the road to six lanes.

I would say Mapco would be a good chain but I am not sure how far west they extend from the Nashville area. Casey's has established a presence in NW Tennessee, so you may find some of those there. In NW Alabama, Sprint Mart is a good place to stop if you come upon one of those.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

cl94

Speaking of C-store chains, what are the best ones northeast of Birmingham? I know Sheetz starts having stores in Virginia, but I've never been SW of I-77.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

cl94

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 03, 2016, 01:29:08 PM
There is a Sheetz in Bristol, VA.

I'm aware of that, but there's nothing past there. Does Speedway have a presence or is there another good chain in TN/AL?

codyg1985

Raceway is prevalent in Alabama. Mapco is another chain in north Alabama and middle/east Tennessee.
Cody Goodman

cl94

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 03, 2016, 02:43:28 PM
Raceway is prevalent in Alabama. Mapco is another chain in north Alabama and middle/east Tennessee.

Great. Thanks. Just need to know what to look for.

hbelkins

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on October 03, 2016, 04:02:46 PM
Where does QT territory begin/end?

The nearest QT territory is in the Atlanta area. I haven't ever seen any along the I-75/I-81 corridors in TN or VA. 
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

It appears Speedway, which apparently now has a "Speedy Cafe" MTO concept, is popular along the I-75 corridor in TN.
Cody Goodman

jpi

Also there is Speedway's scattered through out TN including west TN and west\ central KY.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel
But not for much longer! ;-)

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 03, 2016, 04:06:28 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 03, 2016, 04:02:46 PM
Where does QT territory begin/end?

The nearest QT territory is in the Atlanta area. I haven't ever seen any along the I-75/I-81 corridors in TN or VA.

My initiation came on GA 5/GA 515 not too far north of where GA 53 intersects.

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 03, 2016, 04:14:19 PM
It appears Speedway, which apparently now has a "Speedy Cafe" MTO concept, is popular along the I-75 corridor in TN.

I've only seen this in one Speedway; that being the corner of US 60 and US 127 in Frankfort. The other two Speedways in town don't have it. My limited view of the menu when I saw it was that it's basically the same food they serve under heat lamps or on roller grills.

jpi

A lot of the newer Speedways they have opened around Tennessee have the "Speedy Café" with touch screens similar to Sheetz, one of the Speedway's by my house (I-40 exit 238) has this setup.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

Quote from: jpi on October 04, 2016, 03:38:18 PM
A lot of the newer Speedways they have opened around Tennessee have the "Speedy Café" with touch screens similar to Sheetz, one of the Speedway's by my house (I-40 exit 238) has this setup.
Quik Trips are going to this set-up
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alex

Will be attending the meet after all! This will be my first since Cody's 2012 Birmingham meet coincidentally. Going to be staying with my Dad and Stepmom at my Stepmom's property in Northwest Alabama (near Red Bay iirc) and heading up tomorrow or Friday. Looking forward to seeing some of you again and finally meeting others in person. Have a handful of maps to give away to whoever is interested too.

cl94

Is the head count on Facebook accurate, or will there be more? Looks like this thing will pass the Toronto meet in terms of attendance and that one had ~18.

codyg1985

Glad to have you Alex!

Right now my head count for lunch is 22 people. I am not sure of those how many will stick around for the meet.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

The event is getting close!
Some last-minute things to talk about:
- I have four walkie talkies that we can use during the meet for communication between stops. Does anyone have any additional ones to bring? I have a feeling we will have more than four cars in the convoy.
- Speaking of the convoy, who plans to drive during the meet? This way I can have an idea of how many itineraries to print out. For now I am printing out five.
- Right now the plan is to leave cars at the Target at 10:30. However, some people have said they have to go straight to the restaurant. I am going to check and see if it is possible to leave cars at the restaurant during the day.
- In the interest of keeping things moving along, I would like to try and stick to the times printed on the itineraries as much as possible. I know this is difficult with a larger group, but let's try to do so in order to make sure we see everything.
- My phone number is 205-522-7256. Call me or text me if something comes up on your way in.
Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Cody Goodman

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 06, 2016, 07:35:04 AM
The event is getting close!
Some last-minute things to talk about:
- I have four walkie talkies that we can use during the meet for communication between stops. Does anyone have any additional ones to bring? I have a feeling we will have more than four cars in the convoy.
- Speaking of the convoy, who plans to drive during the meet? This way I can have an idea of how many itineraries to print out. For now I am printing out five.
- Right now the plan is to leave cars at the Target at 10:30. However, some people have said they have to go straight to the restaurant. I am going to check and see if it is possible to leave cars at the restaurant during the day.
- In the interest of keeping things moving along, I would like to try and stick to the times printed on the itineraries as much as possible. I know this is difficult with a larger group, but let's try to do so in order to make sure we see everything.
- My phone number is 205-522-7256. Call me or text me if something comes up on your way in.
Looking forward to seeing everyone!
I can carry one passenger OR fold myself into someone's car. I'll probably meet up at Target and we can decide from there.

cl94

Can we make up handles for the radios, Smokey and the Bandit style?  :-D

US71

Quote from: cl94 on October 06, 2016, 12:34:30 PM

At St Louis, we just texted each other ;)

But that might be harder with 20 people riding along.

cl94

Quote from: US71 on October 06, 2016, 01:01:42 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 06, 2016, 12:34:30 PM

At St Louis, we just texted each other ;)

But that might be harder with 20 people riding along.

Yeah. I remember how Toronto was with 18. Two-way radios would have been nice.

jpi

Two way radio's is a good idea, as for me and vehicle, Steph is going to do her own thing while we go on the tour so I plan to ride with someone, Brandon if you have room...  :)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

Quote from: Alex on October 05, 2016, 10:44:52 PM
Will be attending the meet after all! This will be my first since Cody's 2012 Birmingham meet coincidentally. Going to be staying with my Dad and Stepmom at my Stepmom's property in Northwest Alabama (near Red Bay iirc) and heading up tomorrow or Friday. Looking forward to seeing some of you again and finally meeting others in person. Have a handful of maps to give away to whoever is interested too.

It'll be great to finally meet you.

H.B., Comin' Atcha Live (any Tesla fans around here) from Jackson, Tenn., instead of the Jackson where he usually works.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.