News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What state has the most efficient highway and road network

Started by Buffaboy, January 20, 2016, 02:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffaboy

I'm wondering what state connects each municipality the best at appropriate speeds without congestion.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Ned Weasel

There are so many ways to define the relevant concepts that you could end up with 50 different answers.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kkt

froggie

Quote from: stridentweaselThere are so many ways to define the relevant concepts that you could end up with 50 different answers.

This.

Tarkus

Quote from: froggie on January 20, 2016, 05:48:45 PM
Quote from: stridentweaselThere are so many ways to define the relevant concepts that you could end up with 50 different answers.

This.

And not a single one of them would be Oregon. :spin:

jakeroot

I move to rename the thread "What city has..." Current question is far too vague to debate with civility.

Though, right off the bat, I've always been impressed by Texas. Though, I didn't enjoy the traffic last I was there (mainly Houston).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Buffaboy on January 20, 2016, 02:22:07 PM
I'm wondering what state connects each municipality the best at appropriate speeds without congestion.

Being that states such as New Jersey are 100% incorporated, almost every town has multiple access points to the town next to it!  Only downside would be potential congestion.

Now, I know what you're really asking - in states where there's lots of open space between towns, which one is the best.   Tough one, because if the space is open and unincorporated, chances are the speeds will be high with very little traffic.  The congestion point would be where the road has entered the town and encounters a traffic light or travel lane reduction.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: jakeroot on January 21, 2016, 02:37:34 AM
I move to rename the thread "What city has..." Current question is far too vague to debate with civility.

Though, right off the bat, I've always been impressed by Texas. Though, I didn't enjoy the traffic last I was there (mainly Houston).

A lack of an all-freeway connection between Houston and Austin pretty much disqualifies Texas, though.

Colorado's connections between major population centers are impressive, but much of that is because of favorable geography. The impact of I-70 west can't be overstated.

peterj920

Wisconsin's freeway/expressway network connects to every city over 15,000.  The expressways are built with bypasses around communities without any stops. 

jakeroot

Quote from: TXtoNJ on January 21, 2016, 01:17:45 PM

A lack of an all-freeway connection between Houston and Austin pretty much disqualifies Texas, though.

Can't you take the 10, to the 130, to the 45, to the 35? Sure, lots of turns, but it's all freeway (unless you're being pedantic and refuse to count the 130 as a freeway -- though, as far as I'm concerned, its 85 mph limit makes it the best freeway in the country).

Though, credit where credits due: the lack of a direct, single-route connection does knock it down a few points.   

cl94

This.

Ja. This is like starting a discussion about politics. There is no right answer and the discussion will go nowhere. Do you mean density, travel speed, congestion, ... ? So many metrics that could be used and many of said metrics, if used together, cancel each other out.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

TXtoNJ

Quote from: jakeroot on January 21, 2016, 03:21:28 PM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on January 21, 2016, 01:17:45 PM

Can't you take the 10, to the 130, to the 45, to the 35? Sure, lots of turns, but it's all freeway (unless you're being pedantic and refuse to count the 130 as a freeway -- though, as far as I'm concerned, its 85 mph limit makes it the best freeway in the country).

Though, credit where credits due: the lack of a direct, single-route connection does knock it down a few points.   

Even before 130, you could take 10 to 35, or 45 to 20 to 35E to 35, but both of those routes take you just a bit out of the way. So does 130, about an hour or so.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on January 21, 2016, 03:54:20 PM

This.

Ja. This is like starting a discussion about politics. There is no right answer and the discussion will go nowhere. Do you mean density, travel speed, congestion, ... ? So many metrics that could be used and many of said metrics, if used together, cancel each other out.

Well I didn't try to make it intentionally unclear, but I think I'm coming from a density perspective. The Wisconsin example seems to fit what I had in mind.

As you said, congestion with density doesn't necessarily make a state's highway system the best, just look at New Jersey.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

mariethefoxy

when it moves, Massachusett's system works well, average speeds are pretty quick on 84, 90 and 495 (the interstate highways in MA i have the most experience with) when it doesnt move, its vehicular hell comparable to the Cross Bronx traffic.

Rothman

Quote from: mariethefoxy on January 22, 2016, 02:29:36 AM
when it moves, Massachusett's system works well, average speeds are pretty quick on 84, 90 and 495 (the interstate highways in MA i have the most experience with) when it doesnt move, its vehicular hell comparable to the Cross Bronx traffic.

That was an impressive 180.   :spin:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Thunderbyrd316

And not a single one of them would be Oregon. :spin:
[/quote]

Got that right! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

CapeCodder

Agreed. Cross Bronx traffic is the worst. I saw it first hand while on the Greyhound from Boston to St. Louis. Absolutely standstill. Nobody moved.

jakeroot

If not Texas, perhaps Florida? Lots of tolls, sure, but they provide for a steady flow of income into the state's transportation coffers, and as a result, the roads are in great shape. Every time I turn around, it seems like they're building a new road, refurbishing another one, etc. Bridges are in good shape too, and I can't think of any missing connections between Florida's major cities (only awkward movement seems to be between I-95 and I-4, Jacksonville/Orlando, but even that's being awfully persnickety).

Kacie Jane

Quote from: jakeroot on January 24, 2016, 04:23:57 AM
(only awkward movement seems to be between I-95 and I-4, Jacksonville/Orlando, but even that's being awfully persnickety).

Jacksonville/Orlando is being extremely persnickety.  I think you meant Tampa, and even then, Florida is so narrow and the angles are so shallow, you're barely going out of your way to head slightly southeast to Daytona before you cross back west.  The biggest problem there though is how crowded (and slightly old/substandard) I-4 gets through downtown Orlando.

SD Mapman

If you're looking at no congestion, South Dakota, North Dakota, or Wyoming would work really well. There is no congestion here!

To take it a step further, SD and ND do a really good job of connecting the 10,000+ population centers with four-lane expressways/Interstates, if that floats your boat.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

jakeroot

Quote from: Kacie Jane on January 24, 2016, 11:59:55 AM
(only awkward movement seems to be between I-95 and I-4, Jacksonville/Orlando, but even that's being awfully persnickety).

Jacksonville/Orlando is being extremely persnickety.  I think you meant Tampa, and even then, Florida is so narrow and the angles are so shallow, you're barely going out of your way to head slightly southeast to Daytona before you cross back west.  The biggest problem there though is how crowded (and slightly old/substandard) I-4 gets through downtown Orlando.

Yes, I suppose that is what I meant (though Tampa, by way of Orlando). Freeways within downtown cores seem to be the worst of Florida's roads, though I'll take I-4 through downtown Orlando any day over I-5 through Seattle. :-D

mariethefoxy

Quote from: Rothman on January 22, 2016, 08:48:36 AM

That was an impressive 180.   :spin:

am I right? it can be a quick drive or a frustrating hell ride depending on the traffic. ;)

jwolfer

Quote from: Kacie Jane on January 24, 2016, 11:59:55 AM

Jacksonville to Tampa via Orlando is a pain in the ass.. Most people use i10/us 301 to i75. US 301 is all divided highways most of it 65mph but there are the infamous speed traps of Lawtey and Waldo. Waldo PD has been disbanded yay!

Full freeway Starke bypass is in the works. I could see 301 being full freeway someday. A better connection to i75 is needed, right now its via SR 326 north of Ocala.

Even with issues and more miles, using 301 or just going to i75 is quicker/easier than going thru Orlando

Revive 755

Quote from: peterj920 on January 21, 2016, 01:41:48 PM
Wisconsin's freeway/expressway network connects to every city over 15,000.  The expressways are built with bypasses around communities without any stops.

Wisconsin might be the closest to perfect, but still has a few flaws:

* No good east-west access from Kenosha or Racine over to I-39.  WI 50 is sprouting stoplights and needed a bypass around Paddock Lake.

* The US 12 corridor between the Illinois border and Madison

* The need for a farther out bypass of Milwaukee for those from Chicagoland who want to access the 41 corridor.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.