AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Illinois Tollway Notes  (Read 89970 times)

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: Today at 09:42:44 PM
Re: Illinois Tollway Notes
« Reply #875 on: February 11, 2019, 07:54:42 PM »

It is easily googled it you actually care

Not if that's the lazy way you're going to present an argument.

Revive 755

• Last Login: September 18, 2019, 10:16:18 PM
« Reply #876 on: March 02, 2019, 10:29:16 PM »

As of today, there's a number of light poles missing in the median of I-90 west of the US 20/Hampshire interchange.  There's a few more missing west of the Kane/McHenry County line as well, but the missing cluster near Hampshire is really noticeable.

paulthemapguy

• That's not how it works...

• Last Login: Today at 08:18:54 PM
« Reply #877 on: March 02, 2019, 10:31:58 PM »

It is easily googled it you actually care

Not if that's the lazy way you're going to present an argument.

God I love your responses sometimes.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmhQf3nW
Source Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHskFU42pF
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

Let's make the forum space a good time for everyone.

edwaleni

• Last Login: September 18, 2019, 02:21:19 PM
« Reply #878 on: March 02, 2019, 11:16:11 PM »

machias

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 09:49:12 PM
« Reply #879 on: March 03, 2019, 02:59:34 PM »

Last night while driving on the Jane Addams I noticed along the “smart road” section that the green LED down arrow signs were no longer lit, only the red “X” signs over the shoulders. This was the first time I’ve seen this, but I rarely drive the Jane Addams at night. Is this something new?

SSOWorld

• 'Sconsin

• Interstate <Make up your mind!>

• Last Login: Today at 08:41:31 PM
« Reply #880 on: March 03, 2019, 08:25:40 PM »

Last night while driving on the Jane Addams I noticed along the “smart road” section that the green LED down arrow signs were no longer lit, only the red “X” signs over the shoulders. This was the first time I’ve seen this, but I rarely drive the Jane Addams at night. Is this something new?
That's the default configuration.  The arrows only show when there are lane blockages.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ssoworld-roads/

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JREwing78

• Last Login: September 18, 2019, 11:03:41 PM
« Reply #881 on: March 03, 2019, 08:37:32 PM »

As of today, there's a number of light poles missing in the median of I-90 west of the US 20/Hampshire interchange.  There's a few more missing west of the Kane/McHenry County line as well, but the missing cluster near Hampshire is really noticeable.

There's also a lot of lights that are just out in general. It's still head-and-shoulders a nicer drive than most rural freeways, but the brightness of most stretches makes the burned-out sections really obvious.

Revive 755

• Last Login: September 18, 2019, 10:16:18 PM
« Reply #882 on: March 03, 2019, 10:18:26 PM »

That's the default configuration.  The arrows only show when there are lane blockages.

They will also use the arrows if there is something going on on the shoulder - the lane next to the shoulder will get a yellow arrow with 'caution' above the arrow, the other lanes will get green arrows.

Great Lakes Roads

• Ain't nobody got time for that!!

• Last Login: Today at 07:40:56 PM
« Reply #883 on: March 06, 2019, 01:45:49 PM »

Construction sequence of two major projects on the Tri-State Tollway (I-294)…

Mile-Long Bridge:

BSNF Railroad Bridge:

edwaleni

• Last Login: September 18, 2019, 02:21:19 PM
« Reply #884 on: March 06, 2019, 10:58:42 PM »

I know the Tollway isn't known for their creativity, but it would have been nice to differentiate the bridge over the S&SC just a little.

Yes materials science now allows them to use an extended high strength steel beam to extend the bridge distance, and it is probably the cheapest way, but must it always be so utilitarian?

You already took out the suspension bridge plans for the I-355 | Des Plaines River crossing years ago and defaulted to a generic design-build from Archer-Western.  Is there no room left for aesthetics?

Joe The Dragon

• Last Login: Today at 08:13:03 PM
« Reply #885 on: March 06, 2019, 11:45:39 PM »

I know the Tollway isn't known for their creativity, but it would have been nice to differentiate the bridge over the S&SC just a little.

Yes materials science now allows them to use an extended high strength steel beam to extend the bridge distance, and it is probably the cheapest way, but must it always be so utilitarian?

You already took out the suspension bridge plans for the I-355 | Des Plaines River crossing years ago and defaulted to a generic design-build from Archer-Western.  Is there no room left for aesthetics?
maybe they will. Some of bridges in elk grove have elks on them.

ET21

• Last Login: Today at 10:53:36 AM
« Reply #886 on: March 07, 2019, 09:53:58 AM »

Mile long bridge will be fun to watch build over the years with my visits back home
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where your going, without forgetting where your from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

quickshade

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 08:20:13 PM
« Reply #887 on: March 08, 2019, 08:14:38 PM »

Mile long bridge will be fun to watch build over the years with my visits back home

Agreed, hoping they have a few earthcams on this, going to be fun to watch, but not so much to drive.

Great Lakes Roads

• Ain't nobody got time for that!!

• Last Login: Today at 07:40:56 PM
« Reply #888 on: March 15, 2019, 06:03:04 AM »

I-90 interchange with SR 23 is currently underway and will be done by the end of this year... super hyped up for a new connection to Marengo!!

https://patch.com/illinois/algonquin/i-90-interchange-project-mchenry-co-gets-started

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: Today at 04:38:16 PM
« Reply #889 on: March 15, 2019, 10:09:05 AM »

I-90 interchange with SR 23 is currently underway and will be done by the end of this year... super hyped up for a new connection to Marengo!!

https://patch.com/illinois/algonquin/i-90-interchange-project-mchenry-co-gets-started

With an idiotic 45 mph limit on I-90 through there.  Hey, ISTHA, did it ever occur to you to maintain speed through there using concrete barriers to separate traffic from the workers?  Other states (Wisconsin) do this with no issues.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.

Screw the KSA; Stand with Canada.

ET21

• Last Login: Today at 10:53:36 AM
« Reply #890 on: March 15, 2019, 10:27:08 AM »

With an idiotic 45 mph limit on I-90 through there.  Hey, ISTHA, did it ever occur to you to maintain speed through there using concrete barriers to separate traffic from the workers?  Other states (Wisconsin) do this with no issues.

Like anyone in IL pays attention to speed limits anyways  :hmmm:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where your going, without forgetting where your from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

dcharlie

• Last Login: Today at 01:14:27 PM
« Reply #891 on: March 15, 2019, 02:51:34 PM »

I've always looked at speed limit signs in Illinois as being more of a suggestion, than something that should be followed...   :bigass:

kphoger

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 04:59:21 PM
« Reply #892 on: March 15, 2019, 02:52:57 PM »

I've always looked at speed limit signs in Illinois as being more of a suggestion, than something that should be followed...   :bigass:

I've literally had that conversation with my dad while I was driving on IL-13 at 15 over.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

ilpt4u

• Last Login: Today at 08:43:33 PM
« Reply #893 on: March 15, 2019, 02:53:10 PM »

I thought they were suggestions... :confused:

abefroman329

• Last Login: April 29, 2019, 05:55:26 PM
« Reply #894 on: March 15, 2019, 02:54:29 PM »

It wasn't always the case.

ilpt4u

« Reply #895 on: March 15, 2019, 02:54:58 PM »

I've literally had that conversation with my dad while I was driving on IL-13 at 15 over.
Only 15 over on IL 13? Traffic typically flows faster than that, well outside of in-town Marion and Carbondale, of course

Won’t even comment on traffic flow speeds on the Chicagoland Expressways and Tollways, relative to speed limits

kphoger

« Reply #896 on: March 15, 2019, 03:04:14 PM »

Only 15 over on IL 13? Traffic typically flows faster than that, well outside of in-town Marion and Carbondale, of course

Won’t even comment on traffic flow speeds on the Chicagoland Expressways and Tollways, relative to speed limits

Going 70 mph somewhere between Marion and Carbondale, signed at 55 mph.  East of Marion, I never really saw much traffic going more than 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit, and I drove that stretch pretty much every day.  People in southwestern Illinois seemed to drive faster than people in southeaster Illinois generally, though, probably about 5 mph faster in my experience.

As for Chicagoland, all that matters is that you keep it under 80, no matter what number is on those little white rectangle things.

ilpt4u

« Reply #897 on: March 15, 2019, 03:26:19 PM »

Going 70 mph somewhere between Marion and Carbondale, signed at 55 mph.  East of Marion, I never really saw much traffic going more than 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit, and I drove that stretch pretty much every day.  People in southwestern Illinois seemed to drive faster than people in southeaster Illinois generally, though, probably about 5 mph faster in my experience.

As for Chicagoland, all that matters is that you keep it under 80, no matter what number is on those little white rectangle things.
East of Marion is signed for 65 now. One of the few non-freeway 65s I’ve seen across the state.

Traffic flows at about the same 70-75 over to Harrisburg...it just has a speed limit that is closer to the traffic speed

kphoger

« Reply #898 on: March 15, 2019, 03:33:20 PM »

East of Marion is signed for 65 now. One of the few non-freeway 65s I’ve seen across the state.

Traffic flows at about the same 70-75 over to Harrisburg...it just has a speed limit that is closer to the traffic speed

It was 65 back then too.  But, even on two-lane highways, I found that traffic in southwestern Illinois tended to drive around 60-75 mph (such as IL-13 or IL-154), whereas traffic in southeastern Illinois tended to drive around 55-65 mph (such as IL-1 or IL-34).  Because I generally drove around 68 mph, this was quite noticeable to me:  I kept having to pass people in southeastern Illinois but not in southwestern Illinois.  And that was still true even though I was often pressed for time on my route when in southwestern Illinois and therefore driving more like 70 mph.

Rick Powell

• Last Login: September 11, 2019, 10:12:31 PM
« Reply #899 on: March 15, 2019, 05:09:34 PM »

And thus will end McHenry County's status as (IIRC) the most populous county in the US without a direct interchange to an Interstate highway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.