AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The next trivia night will be held this Wednesday, February 19th at 8:30 PM EST (that's 6:30 PM MST).  To participate enter the Chat. 

Author Topic: Washington  (Read 72091 times)

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 12:46:36 AM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: Washington
« Reply #750 on: December 11, 2019, 08:07:40 AM »

Yes, clearly the irresponsible 30mph limits are totally to blame.

Nothing will change except the new speed limit signs. Mark my words.

The bright side is that now SDOT can bend around the 85th percentile rules a bit more and design streets that make sense for 25 mph.

I will concede that, yes. Streets with limits far less or far more than their design speed are likely to be ignored (eg I-5 with a 15 mph limit, or a residential street with a 60 mph limit). If we want drivers to go faster or slower, the street designs absolutely need to reflect that.

For residential streets, we need chicanes, speed tables, raised crossings, traffic circles, and narrow lanes. For arterials, you can at least narrow the lanes and reduce the number of areas with center turn lanes (i.e. 10-foot traversable medians).

Looking at a road like 23rd/24th between Montlake and Madison, I would narrow the road by half its current width: one lane each direction (two 10-foot lanes), meandering slightly to create some curves, two-way cycle track on one side, widened sidewalks, and street trees. Yeah, the capacity is reduced, but honestly, who cares? If Vision Zero is 100% about safety, capacity has absolutely no place in street design anymore.
May as well go with zero lanes in that case.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 03:43:10 AM
« Reply #751 on: December 11, 2019, 02:14:05 PM »

May as well go with zero lanes in that case.

I'm not a complete animal. You'd still need some public ROW for essential services.

Expanding on your thought, I think many overplay the importance of pedestrianized spaces. So many have been abject failures (Fresno, Tacoma, etc) and although there have been many successful implementations, the people were already there to inhabit the space. Less cars ≠ more pedestrians.

compdude787

• Last Login: January 25, 2020, 07:21:43 PM
« Reply #752 on: December 14, 2019, 06:12:08 PM »

Ugh, I hate 25 mph speed limits on arterials. I for one will not be following these new speed limits except in downtown, which is probably the only place where such slow speed limits make sense.

stevashe

• Last Login: January 27, 2020, 05:40:43 PM
« Reply #753 on: December 19, 2019, 12:28:19 AM »

Ugh, I hate 25 mph speed limits on arterials. I for one will not be following these new speed limits except in downtown, which is probably the only place where such slow speed limits make sense.

Well the downtown streets were already at 25 mph as of 2016 anyway. And really you can't go fast on most arterials within Seattle anyway outside of the industrial areas, not that changing the number on a sign will make much of a difference anyway.

In other news, as of this week I'm actually working as a contractor at SDOT through my company, so it'll be interesting getting more of an inside look on what's going on there.

compdude787

• Last Login: January 25, 2020, 07:21:43 PM
« Reply #754 on: December 19, 2019, 03:07:17 AM »

^ Sure, you can't go much faster than 30 or 35 on most arterials in Seattle, but for whatever reason, going 25 just seems painfully slow compared to 30. I do have no problem driving 25 on most residential streets in Seattle, but arterials? Kill me now.

stevashe

• Last Login: January 27, 2020, 05:40:43 PM
« Reply #755 on: January 13, 2020, 11:05:43 PM »

SR520 was closed overnight last week to remove a damaged sign bridge west of the Montlake Blvd exit, just got a picture of the temporary sign for the wesbound Montlake Exit today:

This is what was there before, for reference: https://goo.gl/maps/d2e944zKbUuqDwun7. There was also a separate "Last exit before toll" sign just before these signs. Didn't get a good look to see if any signs for I-5 were present in the other direction unfortunately.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.