AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Washington  (Read 93103 times)

stevashe

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 02:31:42 PM
Re: Washington
« Reply #875 on: July 30, 2020, 10:39:08 PM »

I notice that you really want to apply "Evergreen State xxx" to the original route of US-99. Is there any particular reason for that? Seems like a great name for the current route of I-5, border to border. After all, it is the only border-to-border freeway in WA. If any freeway is deserving of that name, it would be I-5.

Not really, it was just a way I thought of to make the name still be able to go border to border but add in my "Puget Sound Freeway" idea, and it kinda parallels what happens in CA, as I mentioned. Oh and I guess a (very) small portion of current SR 99 is already routed on Evergreen Way, didn't mention that because it's only for like a mile but it did help give me the idea. As for the tunnel, I was mostly joking, it was just the first time I had any inspiration for a name for it beyond something dull like "Downtown Tunnel".

By the way, I'm not opposed to calling all of I-5 "Evergreen State Freeway", I was just throwing out other ideas.

stevashe

« Reply #876 on: July 30, 2020, 11:22:27 PM »

The first DDI in Washington (at I-5 / SR 510 in Lacey) will open after this weekend's closure.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/news/2020/07/21/washingtons-first-diverging-diamond-interchange-open-marvin-road-and-i-5-lacey

Nice! I might have to stop by and check it out since I'll be going down to Olympia on Monday.

Edit: Reading the article, looks like the closure is actually NEXT weekend, darn it! I still think it would be worth stopping by though since it's almost finished.

I did go visit it and got some pictures, definitely looks like it's coming along, they even have some overhead signs up! (but covered for now) Pictures aren't the best quality but didn't really have time to get proper ones unfortunately.

Album link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184498735@N04/albums/72157715302823788

They definitely have a lot of work to do. I went through there on Sunday, and they didn't even have more than a couple new traffic signals up. I'm guessing they will be using wire-strung temp signals. And that actual, final work will only be completed much later in the year.

It's possible they could still get the other signals up in time, I did spot at least one foundation for a signal on the opposite side of the freeway from where the new signal was already up (circled in picture below). To my knowledge, prepping/pouring the foundations and waiting for the concrete to cure takes a lot of time, but once that's done putting up the mast arms is pretty quick. It does looks like the also need to do final paving, I assume that might the work that is planned during the weekend closure.

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 03:43:43 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #877 on: August 03, 2020, 01:49:31 AM »

Bickendan

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 06:45:54 PM
« Reply #878 on: August 03, 2020, 09:02:56 PM »

Mmm, the wrong shield and oversized number combo!

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 03:20:46 AM
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #879 on: August 04, 2020, 03:41:53 AM »

I mean, it always has been "highway 2". Even legally!

stevashe

« Reply #880 on: August 04, 2020, 12:31:52 PM »

Mmm, the wrong shield and oversized number combo!

That number may be large, but WSDOT's specs do actually call for larger numerals for single digit state highways compared to the two and three digit variants, and this appears to be the correct size for that. Here's an example on SR 3: https://goo.gl/maps/uEiN5fveaL2h9dXX7

However, the US Route shield specs do call for numerals 1 inch smaller than for state route single digits, so the number is larger in that sense, in addition to being series C instead of series D.

Also, that sign looks pretty new, and I don't see it in streetview of the area from last summer, so it must have been installed quite recently.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.