News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Alphabetic sequence of counties on a route

Started by empirestate, May 31, 2016, 11:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Here's a random fun one...

I notice that WI 83 (among other routes, possibly) traverses three consecutive counties that start with 'W': Washington, Waukesha and Walworth. What's the longest string of consecutive counties that start with the same letter that you can find along a single route?

As a second challenge, what's the longest sequence of counties you can find in alphabetical order (starting with any letter) along a single route?

Ian

I don't know of any that go through four or more counties in a row that begin with the same letter, but I know I-80 in Pennsylvania goes through three counties beginning with a 'C' in a row: Clearfield, Centre, and Clinton.

And in New Jersey, NJ 33 goes through Monmouth, Middlesex, and Mercer Counties.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Darkchylde

A three in a row - US 50 nearby passes through three "J" counties - Johnson County in Kansas, then Jackson County and... Johnson County in Missouri.

empirestate

Elsewhere in Wisconsin you have a grouping of Waupaca, Waushara and Winnebago counties, though I don't think there's a single route connecting them.

But this does point out another curiosity, which is that there's often one particular letter that's over-represented in a state's counties. For Wisconsin it's obviously W; for Pennsylvania I think it's C (as seen above); and for New York it's probably O: Onondaga, Oneida, Ontario, Otsego, Oswego, Orange, Orleans... (Although NY also has a lot of 'S' counties–particularly 'Sch'–and 'C' counties–particularly 'Ch'.)

dvferyance

WI-164 goes through Waukesha and Washington counties WI-67 goes through Walworth and Waukesha counties and IL-47 goes through Kane and Kendell counties I believe IL-31 does too although that's only two.

myosh_tino

U.S. 101 in California goes through San Benito, Santa Clara, San Mateo and San Francisco counties.  That's 4 counties starting with the letter "S".
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

jp the roadgeek

CT/MA 10, US 202, US 5, and I-91 pass through 3 consecutive "H" counties (Hartford County, CT; and Hampden and Hampshire Counties in MA).  RI/MA 103 and RI/MA 136 pass between Bristol Counties in their respective states.  Several routes pass between Hampden and Hampshire counties, which are the only 2 counties within a state's borders of the 3 southern New England states that are connected and begin with the same letters.

NY also has Washington and Warren counties that are connected.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

vdeane

Also Herkimer/Hamilton and Chautauqua/Cattaraugus; Onondaga/Oswego/Oneida/Otsego are near each other too, but no route goes through all four.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Illinois:

I-55 (and former US-66) goes through Madison, Macoupin, and Montgomery.
IL-49 goes through Coles, Clark, and Cumberland.

IL-49 goes through Champaign, Douglas, and Edgar (as well as Vermilion as it is on the county line between Vermilion and Champaign).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

empirestate

Quote from: dvferyance on June 01, 2016, 10:34:14 AM
WI-164 goes through Waukesha and Washington counties WI-67 goes through Walworth and Waukesha counties and IL-47 goes through Kane and Kendell counties I believe IL-31 does too although that's only two.

Yeah, I would say that pairs of same-letter counties are going to be quite common. Probably not worth even mentioning fewer than three.

Quote from: myosh_tino on June 01, 2016, 11:29:23 AM
U.S. 101 in California goes through San Benito, Santa Clara, San Mateo and San Francisco counties.  That's 4 counties starting with the letter "S".

That's got to be the one to beat so far! Didn't think about California and all their "San/Santa" counties.

Quote from: Brandon on June 01, 2016, 01:56:30 PM
IL-49 goes through Champaign, Douglas, and Edgar (as well as Vermilion as it is on the county line between Vermilion and Champaign).

And that's the leader for non-same letter alphabetic sequence. This one'll be tricky to figure out, but I'm sure there are much longer strings out there!

pianocello

Iowa Highway 27 (Avenue of the Saints) has Benton, Buchanan, Black Hawk, and Bremer. Not in alphabetical order, but that's four of them.

US-218, although not the entire route, has a pretty long alphabetical sequence. Starting in Benton County, IA, it goes to Black Hawk, Bremer, Chickasaw, Floyd, Mitchell, and Mower County, MN. (It goes through Linn before Benton, and catches the corner of Dodge after Mower.)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

tdindy88

Couple for Indiana, only three counties anyway.

SR 37 (future I-69) travels through Monroe, Morgan and Marion Counties
SR 29 travels through Clinton, Carroll and Cass Counties

ftballfan

US-31 in Michigan has Muskegon, Mason, and Manistee counties (would be right in a row if not for Oceana County)

theline

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 01, 2016, 04:10:41 PM
Couple for Indiana, only three counties anyway.

SR 37 (future I-69) travels through Monroe, Morgan and Marion Counties
SR 29 travels through Clinton, Carroll and Cass Counties

Also in Indiana, SR-29 passes through Cass, Carroll, and Clinton counties consecutively.

I tried to find a continuous route through Hamilton, Hancock, and Henry counties, which are contiguous, but I failed.

cheungd

In California, SR 99 goes through Stanislaus, San Joaquin, Sacramento, and Sutter counties.

CNGL-Leudimin

After a quick search on the map I found OR 140 starts in Jackson county and then continues through Klamath and Lake counties. Too bad the last county before it enters Nevada starts with H instead of M...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

FrCorySticha

Both I-70 and I-64 in MO and IL pass through St. Charles (MO), St. Louis (MO), and St. Clair (IL) counties. If you count St. Louis city as separate from the county, then it would be 4.

DTComposer

Quote from: empirestate on June 01, 2016, 02:29:08 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on June 01, 2016, 11:29:23 AM

That's got to be the one to beat so far! Didn't think about California and all their "San/Santa" counties.

Two more for California:
CA-35: Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, San Mateo, San Francisco
CA-99: Stanislaus, San Joaquin, Sacramento, Sutter

WNYroadgeek

Quote from: vdeane on June 01, 2016, 12:42:33 PM
Also Herkimer/Hamilton and Chautauqua/Cattaraugus; Onondaga/Oswego/Oneida/Otsego are near each other too, but no route goes through all four.

Also Steuben/Schuyler, Schuyler/Seneca, Steuben/Schuyler/Seneca, Tioga/Tompkins, Cayuga/Cortland, Cortland/Chenango, Cayuga/Cortland/Chenango, Warren/Washington, Saratoga/Schenectady, Schenectady/Schoharie, and Saratoga/Schenectady/Schoharie. Not all of them work, though.

empirestate

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on June 02, 2016, 10:40:47 PM

Also Steuben/Schuyler, Schuyler/Seneca, Steuben/Schuyler/Seneca, Tioga/Tompkins, Cayuga/Cortland, Cortland/Chenango, Cayuga/Cortland/Chenango, Warren/Washington, Saratoga/Schenectady, Schenectady/Schoharie, and Saratoga/Schenectady/Schoharie. Not all of them work, though.

Which ones do work?

cl94

Madison being in the middle kills it for US 20 - it hits 3 of them.

Albany County ruins the S sequence for NY 146 (Schoharie-Schenectady-Saratoga)
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hm insulators

Going east across Arizona, I-10 starts in La Paz County, goes through Maricopa County (Phoenix metro), Pinal County and Pima County (Tucson). Cochise County in the southeastern corner of the state goofs up the sequence.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

empirestate

Quote from: hm insulators on June 03, 2016, 01:07:46 PM
Going east across Arizona, I-10 starts in La Paz County, goes through Maricopa County (Phoenix metro), Pinal County and Pima County (Tucson). Cochise County in the southeastern corner of the state goofs up the sequence.

If your order is correct, it's actually Pima that goofs up the order.

WNYroadgeek

Quote from: empirestate on June 02, 2016, 11:28:07 PM
Quote from: WNYroadgeek on June 02, 2016, 10:40:47 PM

Which ones do work?

Steuben/Schuyler (NY 226), Schuyler/Seneca (NY 414), Tioga/Tompkins (NY 79 and 96), Cayuga/Cortland (NY 90), Cortland/Chenango (NY 23, 26, and 41) all work. Steuben/Schuyler/Seneca doesn't work (despite NY 414 entering all three, it enters Chemung in between the former two). Still working on the rest.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.