News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unnecessary Concurrencies, Name them..

Started by Avalanchez71, August 26, 2016, 03:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

The westernmost portion of WV 39 near Gauley Bridge. WV 39 joins WV 16 to continue to US 60, where WV 39 ends and WV 16 continues concurrent with US 60. Why not end WV 39 at WV 16 and sign "To WV 39" at Gauley Bridge and "To US 60" at the 16/39 intersection?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 25, 2016, 11:13:35 AM
There's the US 14/218 duplex in Owatonna, MN where 218 hops on 14 to end at I-35. Although this is treated weirdly where all the signs for some reason indicate that US 218 ends at the nondescript interchange one exit east of the I-35 interchange.

This one makes sense.  People on I-35 south want to know how to access US218 south out of town.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 27, 2016, 03:14:24 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 25, 2016, 11:13:35 AM
There's the US 14/218 duplex in Owatonna, MN where 218 hops on 14 to end at I-35. Although this is treated weirdly where all the signs for some reason indicate that US 218 ends at the nondescript interchange one exit east of the I-35 interchange.

This one makes sense.  People on I-35 south want to know how to access US218 south out of town.

Agreed.  A short concurrency that is useful to travelers.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Avalanchez71

US 41/ US 41A and US 70/ US 70S both in Nashville, TN.  Couldn't they just end and then reform?

Rover_0

It's probably been said 10 times in this thread but I'll go ahead and say it: US 62/180.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Rover_0 on September 27, 2016, 06:28:04 PM
It's probably been said 10 times in this thread but I'll go ahead and say it: US 62/180.

US 62 West of where it hits US 83.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ChiMilNet

Anything in Illinois and Missouri with CKC 110!
Also, just in my opinion, IL Route 56 with I-88 and then the short connector to I-30 (just doesn't seem needed).

Broadway Extension

US 62/277 between Chickasha and Newcastle, OK. Especially seeing as US 277 ends in Newcastle

fillup420

Quote from: LM117 on August 28, 2016, 09:28:34 AM
US-64/US-264 in NC between Zebulon and I-440 in Raleigh. The western end of US-264 originally ended in Zebulon until 1997.

Also, I-77/I-74 in NC from the NC/VA state line to the I-77/I-74 split near Mount Airy. Considering that I-74 east of Cincinnati will most likely never leave NC, there's no reason for that concurrency since I-74 disappears immediately after crossing into VA on I-77. I-74 should just end at I-77.

I agree with the US 64/264 concurrency being useless. I remember when 264 wasn't signed west of Zebulon. The signs all read "EAST US 64; TO US 264". Not sure why they extended 264 to end randomly at I-440. As for the I-74/77 concurrency, I figure what NC is trying to do is force VA to sign I-74 along 77 because I think 74/77 would run together through VA entirely. However, I do agree that 74 should end at the current northern split with 77 at least until the pipe dream of I-74 comes to fruition, if it ever does.

Jmiles32

Quote from: fillup420 on November 10, 2016, 12:35:54 PM
Quote from: LM117 on August 28, 2016, 09:28:34 AM
US-64/US-264 in NC between Zebulon and I-440 in Raleigh. The western end of US-264 originally ended in Zebulon until 1997.

Also, I-77/I-74 in NC from the NC/VA state line to the I-77/I-74 split near Mount Airy. Considering that I-74 east of Cincinnati will most likely never leave NC, there's no reason for that concurrency since I-74 disappears immediately after crossing into VA on I-77. I-74 should just end at I-77.

I agree with the US 64/264 concurrency being useless. I remember when 264 wasn't signed west of Zebulon. The signs all read "EAST US 64; TO US 264". Not sure why they extended 264 to end randomly at I-440. As for the I-74/77 concurrency, I figure what NC is trying to do is force VA to sign I-74 along 77 because I think 74/77 would run together through VA entirely. However, I do agree that 74 should end at the current northern split with 77 at least until the pipe dream of I-74 comes to fruition, if it ever does.

The only way I see I-74 ever being extended into VA is if NC pays for it.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

roadman65

Kansas Highway 10 (K-10) is concurrent with I-435 just to allow it to connect to I-35 near Lenexa.  Considering that it is only signed on the ground (and not that good either) as KDOT even does not sign the US 50, US 56, & US 169 routes through that same interchange where K-10 ends.  As they omit concurrent other routes with the interstates in the area, why bother having it on paper?

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

US 17/92/441 all stuffed on Orange Blossom Trail.  US 441 could be routed on FL 50 east to to Semoran/FL 436, Hoffner/Narcoossee/FL15/CR15 to US 192 St. Cloud.  US 92 could stay on OBT while US 17 could be shifted back to it's original alignment on Orange Ave/FL 527 and Dixie Highway.  Granted that would require some maintenance pickups but that multiplex of three US Routes in downtown Orlando always bothered me.

cjk374

US 63 between El Dorado, AR & Ruston, LA. It runs with US 167 for the sole purpose of connecting 63 to I-20. LaDOTD don't even sign it on I-20's BGSs.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

cl94

Oh, boy. Here are quite a few in New York:

- US 44/NY 55. Either make the portion of NY 55 west of US 209 another number or truncate US 44 at US 9.
- NY 9G/23B: This should be one single designation.
- NY 32/213: 213 ends at Broadway after a 4-block concurrency. Why it does confuses me, as that part of Broadway does not appear to have ever been US 9W.
- US 9W/NY 443: 443 ends at US 20
- NY 30A/162 north of US 20
- NY 8/10 in Deposit
- NY 80/205 west of Cooperstown
- NY 28N/30 near Long Lake

And for Vermont, VT 8/100. Don't know why 100 ends at the MA border.

As far as NY 17, Region 5 has eliminated most signage. Region 6 is working on it. Being as I-86 is designated through the entirety of both regions, it makes sense.

Edit: posted too early...
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

TheOneKEA

MD 2-4 (signed just like that in the field) in Calvert County, MD. Since MD 2 extends no further than the minimum distance needed to separate from MD 4 and link to the access road to Solomons Island, it makes little sense to retain the concurrency.

Beeper1

All of ME-100 can be eliminated. 

MA/CT-10 along the concurrency with US-202.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Beeper1 on November 13, 2016, 12:01:06 AM
MA/CT-10 along the concurrency with US-202.

Then there would be a gap in the route.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

roadman65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 12, 2016, 09:13:32 AM
US 17/92/441 all stuffed on Orange Blossom Trail.  US 441 could be routed on FL 50 east to to Semoran/FL 436, Hoffner/Narcoossee/FL15/CR15 to US 192 St. Cloud.  US 92 could stay on OBT while US 17 could be shifted back to it's original alignment on Orange Ave/FL 527 and Dixie Highway.  Granted that would require some maintenance pickups but that multiplex of three US Routes in downtown Orlando always bothered me.
US 17 & 92 should be on John Young Parkway and Lee Road.  The rest of 17/92 in Winter Park and Orlando can be SR 15 to Colonial and then just 50 and 441 the rest.

JYP is US 17 & 92 in Kissimmee so why not do it the whole 100 yards.  Heck even make FL 434 part of US 17 & 92 into Longwood and truncate SR 434 to there. Extend SR 15 in signage (as US 17 & 92 from Orlando to DeLand is secret SR 15) from the 434 intersection down to where its signed in Orlando.

Then while we are on a long concurrency of US routes how about ridding NJ of the US 1 & 9 overlap.  Place US 9 in Staten Island along what is NY 440 and then back into NJ via the Bayonne Bridge up current 440 then Truck US 1 & 9 up to where it is along Tonelle Avenue.  US 1 would go into NYC via the Holland Tunnel up the couplet of Hudson and Varick to Houston Street east, then paired along First and Second Avenues into the Bronx where it would use Willis/Melrose/ Webster to its current alignment at I-95.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2016, 12:10:30 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 12, 2016, 09:13:32 AM
US 17 & 92 should be on John Young Parkway and Lee Road.  The rest of 17/92 in Winter Park and Orlando can be SR 15 to Colonial and then just 50 and 441 the rest.

JYP is US 17 & 92 in Kissimmee so why not do it the whole 100 yards.  Heck even make FL 434 part of US 17 & 92 into Longwood and truncate SR 434 to there. Extend SR 15 in signage (as US 17 & 92 from Orlando to DeLand is secret SR 15) from the 434 intersection down to where its signed in Orlando.

Then while we are on a long concurrency of US routes how about ridding NJ of the US 1 & 9 overlap.  Place US 9 in Staten Island along what is NY 440 and then back into NJ via the Bayonne Bridge up current 440 then Truck US 1 & 9 up to where it is along Tonelle Avenue.  US 1 would go into NYC via the Holland Tunnel up the couplet of Hudson and Varick to Houston Street east, then paired along First and Second Avenues into the Bronx where it would use Willis/Melrose/ Webster to its current alignment at I-95.

How about this...have US 441 take all of FL 436 to Hoffner at FL 15 while giving current US 441 to Colonial a state road number.  Have US 17 follow John Young Parkway to Kissimmee while US 92 would stay on the current alignment down OBT. 

I don't know about FL 15...part of me says that Road ought just to stay hidden.  I used to run that whole downtown corridor Mills and it seemed weird to split a route like that through a neighborhood on one-way streets like Brown and Thompson.  That whole use of South Street and Anderson Street which are basically just frontage roads of the 408 nowadays is....odd.  It always seemed like there was a simple solution just to have 15 split east on Colonial/50 and take Maguire Blvd south to the alignment around Lake Underhill.  It would give FL 526 an actual end point on another Florida State Road and simplify the hell out of that crazed route 15 takes through downtown.

dzlsabe

TWO unnecessary... USs 12/20/45 and Is-90/94 turned into one necessary 12/20 & I-90?

ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 13, 2016, 02:00:14 PM
TWO unnecessary... USs 12/20/45 and Is-90/94 turned into one necessary 12/20 & I-90?

Man...little in love with Chicago aren't we?  I don't get it, I lived there too and I couldn't stand the place after awhile.  I'm not saying dismiss all conversation about Illinois and Chicago...but man you sure love beating those dead horses in hopes that some how makes them "not dead."  :-D

dzlsabe

Lemme guess. You could not stand the place mostly cuz of the traffic (ie unnecessary concurrencies)? Idling in bumper to bumper in your V8 MadMaxmobile Id bet were beating your bank account. Couldnt pass emissions? Where are the Plains of Silence?
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

hotdogPi

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 13, 2016, 05:18:34 PM
traffic (ie unnecessary concurrencies)

Congestion has nothing to do with how roads are signed.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 13, 2016, 05:18:34 PM
Lemme guess. You could not stand the place mostly cuz of the traffic (ie unnecessary concurrencies)? Idling in bumper to bumper in your V8 MadMaxmobile Id bet were beating your bank account. Couldnt pass emissions? Where are the Plains of Silence?

Hell things could be worse, I could be driving something like...oh say a certain Swedish brand that was bastardized by badge engineering after it was swallowed up by a larger and much less quirky American corporate entity.  Diesel hasn't really haven't been my cup of tea either, not that I've ever dismissed it outright.  It just never seems like it will ever find a significant piece of the American market after all the missteps automakers made in the 70s and 80s.  It started to pick up steam in the market during the last gas crunch but VW sure screwed that up fudging the emissions controls to meet EPA requirements.

But hey don't take it too personally I didn't care much for Detroit either.  It was much more about the weather being unpleasant and having the option to get out of that part of the country more than anything else.  Traffic wasn't one of the factors in leaving the rust belt behind.  Horrible violent crime in both cites doesn't endear one to stay either....

Just an observation though, you seem hell bent of having a personal figurative fist fight with every member on the forum who doesn't agree with you.  I mean seriously, you keep writing all this stuff as though you want to persuade people to your opinion only to turn around and snap at everyone who doesn't.  What's the end game here?  Are you trying to convince people about your opinions or just piss them off more and more?  :eyebrow:  I'm honestly just curious at this point since some of your threads have taken an interesting twist lately.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.