News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: US71 on December 05, 2018, 07:11:15 PM
How do Ace Hardware or True Value survive?

I think they are a little more specialized in some areas, such as screws and nails, compared to the bigger stores.

The following article has a list of the Shopko stores closing:  https://www.valleynewslive.com/content/news/Shopko-closing-39-stores-including-4-North-Dakota-and-2-Minnesota-locations-502006351.html 

bing101

Scott5114

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 05, 2018, 10:05:18 PM

I think they are a little more specialized in some areas, such as screws and nails, compared to the bigger stores.

Ace is also more like IGA or most hotel chains, where Aces are independently-run businesses that carry the Ace flag. That means you tend to see Aces in markets that are too small for Lowe's or Home Depot to bother with.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 19, 2018, 03:37:22 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on December 05, 2018, 10:05:18 PM

Ace is also more like IGA or most hotel chains, where Aces are independently-run businesses that carry the Ace flag. That means you tend to see Aces in markets that are too small for Lowe's or Home Depot to bother with.

We have two Ace Hardwares here plus Lowes and Home Depot.  Ace is closer to downtown, Lowes and Depot are on the east end, about 3 miles apart from each other.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Big John

Shopko is expected to file for bankruptcy next week after failing to pay a pharmaceutical provider.

DaBigE

Quote from: Big John on January 09, 2019, 10:14:43 PM
Shopko is expected to file for bankruptcy next week after failing to pay a pharmaceutical provider.

$67M+ owed. I'm not surprised. A few weeks before, they announced they were selling many of their pharmacies off, many/most to Hyvee. Shopko's stores (other than their flagship in Green Bay), are far from what they used to be. I equate them now to a higher-priced Kmart. Their smaller-format 'Hometown' stores are basically a higher-end dollar store in size and selection, with online ordering/in-store pickup.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

rawmustard

Quote from: Big John on January 09, 2019, 10:14:43 PM

Bankruptcy was filed today; 105 stores listed to close including the original location.

And now the landlord filed a motion to have ShopKo liquidate, as an auction for pharmacy assets fell short of expectations.

Big John

DaBigE

Quote from: Big John on February 06, 2019, 10:03:23 PM
Shopko adds 139 store closings to make to 250.  https://fox11online.com/news/business/more-shopko-closings-listed

Now they're closing all of them in the Madison metro area...even their new-ish Hometown store in Columbus. Not a single one will survive in Dane County. Yet, Sears East Towne remains  :hmmm:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

thenetwork

In an odd twist to the demise of our Sears store at Mesa Mall in Grand Junction, CO (closed 12/18) , it was just announced that the mall will be tearing down the old Sears store and building a (I assume a slightly larger) Dillard's in it's place.

Still have the former Herberger's/Bon Ton and Sports Authority anchor stores still empty...

Big John

Brandon

Quote from: Big John on March 18, 2019, 04:26:27 PM
Shopko to close all remaining stores: https://fox11online.com/news/local/shopko-closing-all-remaining-stores

A shame, but they couldn't compete with Walmart or Target, and with Meijer entering their home territory, I guess it was a matter of time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SSOWorld

Beat me to it.  Looks like I'll be getting glasses elsewhere from here.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SP Cook

Sears first post-bankruptcy closure list - late October :

Brimingham, AL
Antioch, CA
Littleton, CO
Vero Beach, CA
Sebring, FL
Athens, GA
Bloomingdale, IL
Merrillville, IN
Mishawaka, IN
Baltimore, MD
Portage, MI
Independence, MO
St. Peters, MO
Cape Giradeau, MO
Mansfield, OH
Hurst, TX
Texas City, TX
Roanoke, VA
Spokane, WA
Barboursville, WV

Redlands, CA K-Mart
Hot Springs, CA K-Mart
Palmer, MA K-Mart
Jamestown, NY K-Mart
Guayama, PR K-Mart

The Huntington Mall closure ends the corporation's presence in WV.  And it owns the store, meaning all it had to do was pay the electric bill and the employees, no rent.  And it still can't make money.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SP Cook on August 07, 2019, 10:42:43 AM
The Huntington Mall closure ends the corporation's presence in WV.  And it owns the store, meaning all it had to do was pay the electric bill and the employees, no rent.  And it still can't make money.

Maybe because they didn't have running water since apparently they didn't have a water bill?

rawmustard

Sears first post-bankruptcy closure list - late October :

The Sears store in Saginaw, MI, is also on the list, and it should be Vero Beach, FL. Of course the mantra is there could be more coming. In the release, the new company (Transformco or however it's spelt) even said the focus now would be on the Sears Hometown stores the company is reacquiring.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 07, 2019, 11:29:44 AM

Maybe because they didn't have running water since apparently they didn't have a water bill?
You can't guarantee that the store wasn't making money.  The Evansville, IN Sears store was still making the company money when they closed it.  It goes back to Eddie's master plan, which probably doesn't include anyone else but him.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jp the roadgeek

Well, that leaves 12 Kmart locations in all of New England.  RI and VT have long since been donezo.

CT: Watertown (the dinosaur that refuses to die)
MA: Acton, Billerica, Brockton, Holyoke, Hyannis, Webster
ME: Auburn, Augusta
NH: Hooksett, Salem, West Lebanon
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Life in Paradise on August 07, 2019, 01:27:39 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 07, 2019, 11:29:44 AM

You can't guarantee that the store wasn't making money.  The Evansville, IN Sears store was still making the company money when they closed it.  It goes back to Eddie's master plan, which probably doesn't include anyone else but him.

And that's what I suspect.  They're closing stores systematically.  I'm sure some were money losers, but by this point they've probably all been closed...remember, closures have been going on for several years now.   Now they're closing existing stores that probably were making money.  And the point I tried making to SP above...there's a hell more to a building and store's expenses than electric and payroll.  Way more.

Flint1979

The Sears in Saginaw finally got on the list of closings. The Sears in Fashion Square Mall is closing and it doesn't really surprise me as last week I glanced into the malls parking lot and saw one side of Sears totally voided of any parked cars, 4 cars on the north side and a few on the east side. That property most likely won't sit vacant for long as it's on prime property. Macy's in the same mall might be close to closing too they often close before the mall does.

ET21

Chicago Ridge Sears survives the cut again
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

SectorZ

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 08, 2019, 01:27:10 AM
Well, that leaves 12 Kmart locations in all of New England.  RI and VT have long since been donezo.

I'm only a few miles from the Billerica one. How it has survived for even the past 20 years astounds me. A much nicer one on the Tewksbury/Lowell line closed years ago and that thing opened in 1993. The Billerica one has survived the Billerica Mall dying around it.

Also, the Acton one has this rather strange "shrunken head" sign for its location, and its not due to a local sign ordinance so no one knows why it's so tiny, https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4738435,-71.4556293,3a,75y,318.62h,96.5t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sn3_Z2RRz9ibHhDFB0CJpLg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dn3_Z2RRz9ibHhDFB0CJpLg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D47.863426%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

ftballfan

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the closing Sears in decent areas already have a replacement in line (a la Woodland Mall)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 08, 2019, 01:27:10 AM

VT had the Bennington store as late as 2018.

The Watertown store will probably be one of the last to close since it isn't anywhere near a Walmart.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.