News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US-19 in Wexford, PA being widened to 5 lanes (2NB, 2SB, 1CTL)

Started by rickmastfan67, November 05, 2009, 06:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

They just have announced that they are widening US-19 from PA-910 to the downhill trek to US-19 Truck starting in the Summer of 2010.  They will be adding a Center Turn Lane the entire distance.  However, during that time, US-19 will be down to 1 lane in each direction.  I just head this on KDKA, so I'll look for some more info on this.

EDIT: Here's a link to a press release: http://www.dot.state.pa.us/penndot/districts/district11.nsf/37fc68a0aa7b94e9852570a70047899c/ac1f6ff78efcb4a28525765e0069913a?OpenDocument

Chris

I always wonder how hard it must be to make a left turn from a driveway onto those undivided 5 lane highways. I mean, traffic from the left doin' 40 - 45 mph (maybe even more), traffic from the right does that as well, plus turning vehicles in the center lane. It wouldn't surprise me if these kind of roads are the most dangerous.

agentsteel53

If traffic is heavy, I don't even attempt it.  I turn right, merge across lanes, and make a U-turn where convenient - usually at the next light.

this is officially called a Michigan Left.  It is banned in Ohio.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rawmustard

Quote from: Chris on November 10, 2009, 12:38:28 PM
I always wonder how hard it must be to make a left turn from a driveway onto those undivided 5 lane highways.

The center lane can be used to help complete left turns from a driveway onto the road within reason. What I've done when traffic is particularly heavy is wait for a good gap traffic from my left, pull into the turn lane (obviously making sure it's clear), and wait for a gap in traffic coming from my right before moving into the travel lane.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: rawmustard on November 10, 2009, 01:44:32 PM
What I've done when traffic is particularly heavy is wait for a good gap traffic from my left, pull into the turn lane (obviously making sure it's clear), and wait for a gap in traffic coming from my right before moving into the travel lane.

That seems to be what most people do.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

mightyace

Quote from: rawmustard on November 10, 2009, 01:44:32 PM
Quote from: Chris on November 10, 2009, 12:38:28 PM
I always wonder how hard it must be to make a left turn from a driveway onto those undivided 5 lane highways.

The center lane can be used to help complete left turns from a driveway onto the road within reason. What I've done when traffic is particularly heavy is wait for a good gap traffic from my left, pull into the turn lane (obviously making sure it's clear), and wait for a gap in traffic coming from my right before moving into the travel lane.

That maneuver is not legal in Tennessee!  The center lane is ONLY for making left turns from the highway not entering it.

Of course, that doesn't stop people from doing it anyway.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

njroadhorse

Does anyone know if it's 5-laned up in Cranberry along US 19?  If not, I think it should be 5-laned all the way up there.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

PAHighways

Quote from: njroadhorse on November 11, 2009, 04:44:35 PMDoes anyone know if it's 5-laned up in Cranberry along US 19?  If not, I think it should be 5-laned all the way up there.

US 19 does have a center turning lane through Cranberry.

juscuz410

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 10, 2009, 12:55:27 PM
If traffic is heavy, I don't even attempt it.  I turn right, merge across lanes, and make a U-turn where convenient - usually at the next light.

this is officially called a Michigan Left.  It is banned in Ohio.

Not true. There is a Michigan Left in Ohio, Columbus in all places! Near Westerville I-270 & SR 161 @ Buenos Aires/Strawberry Farms.

agentsteel53

Quote from: juscuz410 on November 16, 2009, 04:14:06 PM

Not true. There is a Michigan Left in Ohio, Columbus in all places! Near Westerville I-270 & SR 161 @ Buenos Aires/Strawberry Farms.
oh, it's not Ohio?  then what's the state that bans U-turns?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Anyways, to revive this topic, they have started work on widening US-19 here in Wexford.  Just traveled it today and they have started work on moving the utilities.

The only bad news is that the old '60s spec PA Turnpike shield in the area is in the way of the widening. :(  The little flags are just past the shield.

EDIT: Here's a video about this from WPXI-11-NBC.

PAHighways

Six degrees of separation:  the first gentleman interviewed used to work with my mother.

rickmastfan67

rickmastfan67

A heads up to anybody traveling this work zone.  If you can, go at least 5 MPH under the speed limit of 35.  Coming home from Cranberry yesterday along US-19, when we entered the Construction zone, we hit one of the pavement cuts in the work zone (no "BUMP" signs posted anywhere going SB).  It blew out our left rear shock on the car.  We made it home luckily, but had to get major repairs today to the car because of it.

But, does anybody know how to contact PennDOT to file a claim?

PAHighways

I know who not to contact.

Since this took place in District 11, you would contact them to file a claim.

surferdude

Quote from: njroadhorse on November 11, 2009, 04:44:35 PM
Does anyone know if it's 5-laned up in Cranberry along US 19?  If not, I think it should be 5-laned all the way up there.

it depends where you are below SR 910 on the south end to the north of where the Turnpike I-76 they have jersey barriers in the median except at intersections where they have mountable curb islands. The same is true in Cranberry they also have islands.  but they also have Center Two way left turn lanes.

rickmastfan67

Last time I was in Wexford, traffic had been shifted onto a new alignment using the brand new lane they just built between Richard Rd and the Southern end of the project.  They are now re-constructing the original NB lanes in that segment.

ARMOURERERIC

They have been only kicking this around since 1980.

Eric

North Allegheny class of 1982

surferdude

Actually it goes back into the 1970's where they wanted this

ARMOURERERIC

Hi,

I am in Pittsburgh on a family emergency, and got to drive this section each of the last 2 evenings:  Basically the project has fallen into a 2 section stataus:  South of Brookstone, all the reconstruction has been done and the project is just awaiting final paving, striping and activation of the new traffic signals.

North of Brookstone up to the project limits at Manor Drive, the addition of the extra lane is still in project, what I find odd, but good id that the extra lane is being built from a very thick concrete slab whose surface is higher than the existing lanes, this lane goes all the way from just south of brookstone to Manor.  However, it looks like the project should still wrap up this year.

One feature of the project is the installlation of decorative green mast arm traffic signals, several intersections north of the project area already have the special signals installed and in operation.  Again, south of Brookstone, the signals are all installed but bagged.  North of brookstone, most of the standards are in, but only the arms parraell to 19 are installed, with no signals attached.  In Pennsylvania it is common to have an advance overhead signage to indicate advance lane movements.  All the intersections have these decorative advance masts to hold the overhead white lane movement signs.

One dissapointment is that all the cross streets have been rebuilt for about 50 feet, at the cross streets have the curbs and gutters installed in a manner that does not permit any left turn lanes on cross streets like Richard/Reichold roads.  And there are not any signalization to accomodate left turns at major cross roads.  Most of the commercial entrances do have left turn lanes and signalization.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on June 09, 2012, 10:29:24 AM
South of Brookstone, all the reconstruction has been done and the project is just awaiting final paving, striping and activation of the new traffic signals.

Just was up there today.

They have put down new striping and have opened up both SB lanes from Meadows Drive to the South and moved NB back to it's side of the highway.  They have the NB lanes striped and ready to go, however, the right lane is still closed.  They also still need to do the final paving, but I guess they decided that they wanted to ease the traffic some till they had the chance to do the final paving.  Also, the new traffic signals still need to be activated in that segment.

ARMOURERERIC

I wanted to mention as well that all the hunter green traffic signal masts and the advance permitted lane use overhead sign gantries are all shaped in the California style.

rickmastfan67

Just was up in Wexford tonight.  They now have the Northern segment of the project close to having all the lanes open.  Right now, both SB lanes are now open, and so is the CTL.  Going NB, it's still just a single lane, but looks like it could be opened really soon.  The new traffic lights North of Wexford Plaza still need to be activated, as well as a final coat of pavement and islands on each side of the traffic light intersections need to be done.  Speed limit in the project is still at 25mph.

MASTERNC

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.