Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: jbnv on April 27, 2017, 10:36:49 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 26, 2017, 10:29:44 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 26, 2017, 10:09:40 PM
I think this one would be pretty easy to answer with all the out-of-state control cities on interstates.

And yet I got, like, only three of those out of the several submissions to the challenge :cool:

There's a sign on I-10 just inside the Texas border that lists distances to three Louisiana cities. It's 3.5 hours from my current location so I can't get a picture of it at the moment.

QuoteApril 27, 2017: Post pictures of signs for the exit from an Interstate highway (or international equivalent) that is closest to your current or any former home.

Totally random: I happened to get this sign when I lived in Verona, Wisconsin.

US 151 Exit 79, Verona, WI by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

Was there any significance of this sign to you, or did you post it just for fun?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

jbnv

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 27, 2017, 11:37:49 AM
Totally random: I happened to get this sign when I lived in Verona, Wisconsin. <snip>

Was there any significance of this sign to you, or did you post it just for fun?

I posted it because it fit the challenge.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: jbnv on April 27, 2017, 02:21:23 PM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 27, 2017, 11:37:49 AM
Totally random: I happened to get this sign when I lived in Verona, Wisconsin. <snip>

I posted it because it fit the challenge.

I'm dumb, I didn't read your post. I should have figured that out myself. Whoops!  :pan:  :ded:   :sombrero:

dgolub

QuoteApril 27, 2017: Post pictures of signs for the exit from an Interstate highway (or international equivalent) that is closest to your current or any former home.

The closest exit to my current home is the exit for Manhattan in the middle of the RFK Bridge (I-278), although you have a pretty long trip through city streets to get there:

Jim

I have 6 former addresses to consider, but I don't have pictures of the closest exits to some.  Here's what I do have.

Closest (I think) at around 30 miles to my former Williamstown, Massachusetts, apartments.  Thruway Exit B3 at the New York/Massachusetts line.  November 24, 2005.

That might also be the winner for closest to my former Pittsfield, Massachusetts, address, but I think it might instead be Mass Pike Exit 2 in Lee.  August 30, 2007.

I spent a few months in an apartment very close to the "Big I" interchange in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  December 20, 2003.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Eth

Just realized I also have the one for my childhood home. At a little over 7 miles away, this exit on I-75 just beats out the next exit to the south by about 100 feet:

And if we count my time spent in Georgia Tech campus housing, the two exits in this photo cover all three such buildings between them (distance ranging from about 250 feet to 1 mile):

empirestate

:colorful: :colorful: :colorful:

April 28, 2017

Yes, it's end-of-month recap time! All Challenges posted since the last recap (so, starting with March 30th) are now open through the end of April. This serves as the April 28th Challenge, and new Challenges will also be posted for the 29th and 30th. (Also, I believe we still have one or two states left from the March 7th Challenge, as well.)

:colorful: :colorful: :colorful:

Here's the list:
March 7: Post route sign photos of the highest-numbered state highway in a particular state.
(Outstanding: ID, KS, KY, LA, ME, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NC, ND, SD, TN, TX, UT, WA, & WI)
March 30: Post a picture of a sign with the wrong type of route.
March 31: Each of the four cardinal directions on a sign/panel/display, and precisely that, no more or less - no duplicates.
April 1: Concurrencies where the difference between the routes is 4.
April 2: Post pictures of signs that contain the number 91.
April 3: Signs of the (modern) times -- road signs that wouldn't have existed 20 or more years ago.
April 4: Post photos of signs that don't exist anymore (i.e. have since been replaced).
April 5: Post official highway signs denoting physiographic features other than waterbodies or watersheds.
April 6: State highways (or greater) concurrent/co-signed with county roads.
April 7: Post pictures of three-lane roads (which are also known as 2+1 roads, or roads with alternating passing lanes).
April 8: Post a pair of route shields at an intersection or multiplex of said routes, where one route number is twice the other.
April 9: Road sign-style signs being used for something other than directing traffic on a road.
April 10: Warning flags (real flags or metal look-a-likes) attached to signs other than speed limit signs.
April 11: Let's get ugly. Ugly /Misshapen shields, ugly fonts.
April 12: Snow south of the 37th parallel.
April 13: Post photos of signs or markers in the field that show a route number, but are intended primarily for internal or official use.
April 14: Post a photo of any road/street sign that contains a palindrome.
April 15: Post signs with the word "gold" somewhere on them.
April 16: Routes that are someone's username here.
April 17: Post any road sign that is a route number that is the same number as the area code it is in.
April 18: Show some outsized sign gantries that support only one sign.
April 19: BGSs with a single shield, an arrow, maybe an exit tab, and nothing else.
April 20: Post pictures of official road signs that have anything to do with smoking.
April 21: Post pictures of signs with actual birds resting/sitting on them.
April 22: Post signs that give instructions on the actual operation of your vehicle, as opposed to navigation.
April 23: Post the single most remote or exotic road picture in your collection.
April 24: Numeric coincidences: any signed combination of mile markers, route markers, exit numbers, or others.
April 25: City/town names that are the name of a country or are associated with a city in another country much more than in the country of the photo.
April 26: Distance signs for cities in states other than the one they're posted in.
April 27: Post pictures of signs for the exit from an Interstate highway (or international equivalent) that is closest to your current or any former home.

Don't forget to include the original Challenge statement, so we know what you're submitting for! (And by the way, when posting new Challenges, it helps to place your Challenge statement inside the quote tags, so it can easily and conspicuously be copied into later posts.)

jflick99

EDIT: This also works for the April 21 challenge.

QuoteApril 21: Post pictures of signs with actual birds resting/sitting on them.
---

On the side of I-35 in Lenexa, KS. About a half mile from the last house I lived in.

TravelingBethelite

QuoteApril 28th, 2017:

Yes, it's end-of-month recap time! All Challenges posted since the last recap (so, starting with March 30th) are now open through the end of April. This serves as the April 28th Challenge, and new Challenges will also be posted for the 29th and 30th. (Also, I believe we still have one or two states left from the March 7th Challenge, as well.)

(I'm doing the March ones just for fun!)

QuoteMarch 9
Post a photo that shows a route marker assembly with an Interstate marker, a US route marker and a state primary route marker.

QuoteMarch 11 challenge: Post road photos that contain words in them that could get censored, e.g. Massachusetts, circumferential, shell, Dick's Sporting Goods.

QuoteMarch 15, 2017
Challenge: Post official signs that aren't mounted and standing (e.g., damaged/blown over, or being installed, transported or stored).

Looking for signs "in the wild" only–no private home collections, businesses, museums etc.

QuoteApril 1 Challenge: Being the first day of April, let's go with concurrencies where the difference between the routes is 4, for the 4th month.

QuoteApril 2nd, 2017: Post pictures of signs that contain the number 91 (as it has been 91 days since 2017 began).

QuoteApril 3, 2017:  Signs of the (modern) times -- road signs that wouldn't have existed 20 or more years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/IsqXvFw.jpg

Bell Atlantic officially changed its name to Verizon in 2000

QuoteApril 4: Post photos of signs that don't exist anymore (i.e. have since been replaced). Can be any sign that you yourself have a photo of and aren't limited to BGSs or route shield assemblies.

QuoteApril 5, 2017
Challenge: Post official highway signs denoting physiographic features other than waterbodies or watersheds.

QuoteApril 6, 2017 challenge: State highways (or greater) concurrent/co-signed with county roads.

Albany County Route 411 - New York by Doug Kerr, on Flickr

Credit again to Doug Kerr.

QuoteApril 7th Challenge => Post pictures of three-lane roads (which are also known as 2+1 roads, or roads with alternating passing lanes):

U.S. 63 south of Mammoth Spring, Arkansas.

QuoteApril 8th challenge:  Since the day is twice the month on today's date of 4/8... Post a pair of route shields at an intersection or multiplex of said routes, where one route number is twice the other.

QuoteApril 9: Road sign-style signs being used for something other than directing traffic on a road. Must be used as a sign (so nothing like using a sign to seal a hole in a fence or as a ramp or something). Examples: identifying a building or state DOT facility, advertising (so long as it's close enough that you could mistake it for a bona fide road sign), wayfinding in the hallways inside a building, signs directed at pedestrians in a rest area, etc.

April 10, 2017 Challenge: Warning flags (real flags or metal look-a-likes) attached to signs other than speed limit signs.

QuoteApril 11, 2017 Challenge: Let's get ugly. Ugly /Misshapen shields, ugly fonts

An Oklahoma classic, on I-35 South.

April 12, 2017 challenge: Snow south of the 37th parallel. When you post your photo, mention where the photo was taken. (And obviously, it must be a road-related photo.)

Oklahoma City Snow Storm by Nate, on Flickr

I did not take this, but I do know it was taken on a rural road heading into Oklahoma City (which might be a tad obvious).

QuoteApril 13, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of signs or markers in the field that show a route number, but are intended primarily for internal or official use.

QuoteApril 14, 2017
Challenge: Since today's date (4/14) is a palindrome, post a photo of any road/street sign that contains a palindrome. Numbers and words are both acceptable.

QuoteApril 15, 2017
Challenge: Since many Americans think about money on April 15 for some reason, post signs with the word "gold" somewhere on them.

empirestate

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 28, 2017, 08:58:52 AM
QuoteApril 28th, 2017: [...]

I've been saving up this challenge for quite a while! Here's my photo:

Keep saving it–the April 28th Challenge has already been posted!

MNHighwayMan

QuoteApril 4, 2017: Post photos of signs that don't exist anymore (i.e. have since been replaced).

It's since been replaced with this. :-/ I mean, it makes sense to eventually take down the OLD MN-96 markers, but still. :-(

Eth

April 19: BGSs with a single shield, an arrow, maybe an exit tab, and nothing else.

The first southbound exit on the freeway portion of GA 400:

AsphaltPlanet

QuoteApril 4, 2017: Post photos of signs that don't exist anymore (i.e. have since been replaced).

Ontario has a lot of these:

Some LA County button-copy... much of the 210 has been resigned:
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

PHLBOS

QuoteApril 4: Post photos of signs that don't exist anymore (i.e. have since been replaced).
Removed but not replaced:

Removed & replaced (pull-through is no longer a top-hat design):
GPS does NOT equal GOD

formulanone

Keep in mind it's still three photos per post, even on the month-end selections.

intelati49

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 28, 2017, 11:29:44 AM

Ontario has a lot of these:
[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

Some LA County button-copy... much of the 210 has been resigned:
[img]

Not showing up for me? I can right click them and get them to load though.

*Goshdarnit. Refreshed and they're here

empirestate

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 28, 2017, 08:58:52 AM
(I'm doing the March ones just for fun!)

The March ones are not part of this Challenge (other than the 30th and 31st, along with the 7th which remains open for its own reasons).

Also, there is a limit of three Answers per post–you've got eighteen!

7/8

April 17: Post any road sign that is a route number that is the same number as the area code it is in.

SK 639 on TCH 16 (area code 639 is an overlay for the whole province)

QuoteApril 21: Post pictures of signs with actual birds resting/sitting on them.

Taken today on TCH 16 east of Saskatoon, SK

wanderer2575

March 31: Each of the four cardinal directions on a sign/panel/display, and precisely that, no more or less - no duplicates.

Does this count?    :-D

April 11: Let's get ugly. Ugly /Misshapen shields, ugly fonts.

Anna, OH:

SignGeek101

QuoteApril 10: Warning flags (real flags or metal look-a-likes) attached to signs other than speed limit signs.

Alberta Wind Gusts Sign
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

QuoteApril 17: Post any road sign that is a route number that is the same number as the area code it is in.

MB 101 (Perimeter Hwy) Westbound Approaching MB 204, Winnipeg 42 (Henderson Hwy) Exit
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

QuoteApril 26: Distance signs for cities in states other than the one they're posted in.

Both cities in this case:

Trans-Canada 1 Westbound Distance Sign to Medicine Hat, Calgary AB
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 28, 2017, 11:42:55 PM

Does this count?    :-D

As the creator of that challenge, I'll allow that just because that's amazing. :clap: (doubly so because it uses both directionally-suffixed route numbers and a wrong-way concurrency)

formulanone

QuoteApril 19: BGSs with a single shield, an arrow, maybe an exit tab, and nothing else.

I-44 in Missouri:

QuoteApril 5: Post official highway signs denoting physiographic features other than waterbodies or watersheds.

On US 12 about a dozen miles west of the Idaho/Washington border:

QuoteApril 1: Concurrencies where the difference between the routes is 4.

23 - 19 = 4 in Asheville, North Carolina (I've gotten a lot of mileage out of this photo):

MNHighwayMan

QuoteApril 29, 2017: Distance signs that use at least one route as a destination.

"TO IA-175" on IA-471 in Early

A bad imitation MN-22 marker on a distance sign on IA-9

"TO IA-44" on IA-141

(Note that the "TO" is not necessary–it just so happens that my three examples all use it.)

Eth

QuoteApril 29, 2017: Distance signs that use at least one route as a destination.

How about four on one sign? I-285 southbound just past Spaghetti Junction:

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Eth on April 29, 2017, 12:09:52 PM

How about four on one sign? I-285 southbound just past Spaghetti Junction:

:wow: That's awesome.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.