News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: US71 on June 18, 2017, 04:43:29 PM
Quote from: empirestate on June 18, 2017, 02:45:33 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on June 18, 2017, 11:57:39 AM
Quote from: empirestate on June 18, 2017, 11:49:01 AM
Official signs only, and it can be any type of sign: parking regulation, street blade, warning sign, route marker, whatever. Bonus points if you can actually see the sign from your house or through your window; extra bonus points if you actually take the photo from your house or through your window! :-)

For this Challenge, NO STREET VIEW is allowed, for reasons of privacy as well as challenging-ness.

Isn't posting a street blade pretty similar to GSV in terms of privacy?

I suppose it could be. You could always sit this one out, or post some other sign without telling. We'll never know. ;-)

Anybody gonna put in a make-up Challenge? Or is that plan not going to take off?
iPhone

Let's start another Challenge for missed challenges.  </sacrasm>

Since there's an apparent demand for super-easy Challenges, we could use the make-up Challenges for them. ;-)

iPhone

US 89

Quote from: empirestate on June 18, 2017, 06:49:32 PM
Official signs only, and it can be any type of sign: parking regulation, street blade, warning sign, route marker, whatever. Bonus points if you can actually see the sign from your house or through your window; extra bonus points if you actually take the photo from your house or through your window! :-)

For this Challenge, NO STREET VIEW is allowed, for reasons of privacy as well as challenging-ness.

I suppose it could be. You could always sit this one out, or post some other sign without telling. We'll never know. ;-)

Anybody gonna put in a make-up Challenge? Or is that plan not going to take off?
iPhone

Since there's an apparent demand for super-easy Challenges, we could use this opportunity for them. ;-)

iPhone

There are at least 4 other challenge threads on this board. I don't think we really need another one.

US71

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 18, 2017, 07:50:57 PM

iPhone

Since there's an apparent demand for super-easy Challenges, we could use this opportunity for them. ;-)

iPhone

There are at least 4 other challenge threads on this board. I don't think we really need another one.

How about a challenge for no more challenges?   :hmm: :spin:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

noelbotevera

Quote from: US71 on June 18, 2017, 08:13:51 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on June 18, 2017, 07:50:57 PM

iPhone

iPhone

How about a challenge for no more challenges?   :hmm: :spin:
Why not do an Alanland challenge?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

csw

QuoteJune 18, 2017
Challenge: Post a photo of the closest road sign to your house.
Not living at home currently, but you can see the building I am in in this shot:

jbnv

QuoteJune 18, 2017

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

renegade

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 18, 2017, 08:41:11 PMWhy not do an Alanland challenge?
For the love of God ... NO!!!
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

US 89

Quote from: renegade on June 18, 2017, 11:48:34 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on June 18, 2017, 08:41:11 PMWhy not do an Alanland challenge?
For the love of God ... NO!!!

What would the challenge cover? Take or don't take a picture of something that is or is not a goat that lives or does not live in Alanland?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

paulthemapguy

QuoteJune 18, 2017

Sure, I'll just post my phone number and social security number while I'm at it!

NO.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

empirestate

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 19, 2017, 12:32:23 AM
QuoteJune 18, 2017

Sure, I'll just post my phone number and social security number while I'm at it!

NO.

You caught me. We've all been casing your place for weeks. ;-)

QuoteJune 19, 2017
Challenge: Post a photo of Paul the map guy's house.

:-D

formulanone

QuoteJune 18, 2017: Post a photo of the closest road sign to your house.
I found this on the web, and it's a close approximation of the sign closest to my house:

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: empirestate on June 19, 2017, 03:12:04 AM
QuoteJune 19, 2017

:-D :clap:

But serious, though, here's a good one.

QuoteJune 19, 2017: Route marker assemblies that are slightly (or maybe not so slightly) "off" in their design/layout. This specifically excludes US/State Route marker mixups and just plain ugly shields.

This one, on MN-93 SB, is due to the old 169 shields having been square, but MnDOT/the contractor did not move the posts when replacement signs were put up.

This one on US-65/69 in Indianola is just poorly planned out. US-65 continues ahead with 69 here.

jbnv

QuoteJune 19, 2017: Route marker assemblies that are slightly (or maybe not so slightly) "off" in their design/layout. This specifically excludes US/State Route marker mixups and just plain ugly shields.

Port Allen Sign Salad by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

LA 309 / Terrebonne Parish 19 Assembly by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

US71

Mismatched fonts at I-49 and LA 173

Mix n Match Fonts near Yellville, AR

Bentonville, AR

Russellville, AR
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

paulthemapguy

QuoteJune 19, 2017
[/quote]

HARHARHARHARHARHARHARHAR Joke's on you, I live in a van down by the river. =p
Srsly tho stay safe on the Internet, kids.

I don't know why you need an extra-wide shield for a 1-digit number, but...

IL-008-ERwide by Paul Drives, on Flickr

I don't know where the hell this font came from...

IL-351-ST by Paul Drives, on Flickr

These 36"x36" panels have "ILLINOIS" written in font that is too tall.  I'm guessing they were fabricated by Lake County or by a contractor upgrading the intersection.

IL-US41-173N by Paul Drives, on Flickr

7/8

Different fonts and right-turn arrows for highways 6 and 7 (despite them being concurrent here in Guelph, ON)

The numbers are too high up on this highway 24 shield (south of Brantford, ON)

The yellow "south" tab should be white to match the Norfolk CR 24 shield (in Simcoe, ON)

wanderer2575

Different left arrows for the same turnoff.  South of Burdett, NY.

csw

This I-155 shield is waaay oversized, probably at least 3 feet wide. Just into Tennessee on I-155 eastbound.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: csw on June 19, 2017, 08:38:23 PM
This I-155 shield is waaay oversized, probably at least 3 feet wide. Just into Tennessee on I-155 eastbound.

IIRC...  Small-issue route shields like that US412 are usually 24" high, and either 24" or 36" wide depending on the length of the route number.  The large-issue route shields tend to be 36" x 36" if it's a one- or two-digit route.  This I-155 one is probably 36" high and something like 54" wide (if the change in aspect ratio is consistently 1.5:1).  Still looks odd to me that they combined a large-issue sign and a large-issue one.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 19, 2017, 09:55:49 PM
IIRC...  Small-issue route shields like that US412 are usually 24" high, and either 24" or 36" wide depending on the length of the route number.  The large-issue route shields tend to be 36" x 36" if it's a one- or two-digit route.  This I-155 one is probably 36" high and something like 54" wide (if the change in aspect ratio is consistently 1.5:1).  Still looks odd to me that they combined a large-issue sign and a large-issue one.

Standard sizes are 24 x 30 and 36 x 45... but that looks even bigger yet.

(Sorry, couldn't resist the urge to show those off again.) ;-)

paulthemapguy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 19, 2017, 10:31:34 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 19, 2017, 09:55:49 PM

Standard sizes are 24 x 30 and 36 x 45... but that looks even bigger yet.

(Sorry, couldn't resist the urge to show those off again.) ;-)

Thanks for correcting me.  Those were the numbers I was looking for.

hotdogPi

QuoteJune 20, 2017: Today, in Georgia's 6th congressional district, people are voting for Jon Ossoff or Karen Handel. Also, in South Carolina's 5th congressional district, people are voting for Ralph Norman or Archie Parnell.

The challenge: Post a photo that contains "Jon", "Ossoff", "Karen", "Handel", "Ralph", "Norman", "Archie", or "Parnell" on a road sign.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

JJBers

Quote from: 1 on June 20, 2017, 11:12:43 AM
QuoteJune 20, 2017: Today, in Georgia's 6th congressional district, people are voting for Jon Ossoff or Karen Handel. Also, in South Carolina's 5th congressional district, people are voting for Ralph Norman or Archie Parnell.

The challenge: Post a photo that contains "Jon", "Ossoff", "Karen", "Handel", "Ralph", "Norman", "Archie", or "Parnell" on a road sign.
What...uhh. I have nothing
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

hbelkins

I knew that trip to Oklahoma was good for something...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Michael

June 21, 2017: Since the forum was in maintenance mode for a week earlier this month, post photos of road maintenance or construction.

Other than a close-up picture of a pavement cross section, I think this is the only photo of construction I have.  It's from when Auburn reconstructed East Genesee St in 2008.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.