News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Quote from: 1 on July 30, 2017, 10:59:56 AM
I assume the challenge labeled "July 29" is actually for July 30? July 29 was the recap.

The poster who announced the recap stated that "This serves as the Challenge for today," but that doesn't go with the practice we have established. I don't see how it can serve as the daily challenge itself (use any challenge from this month?). It's also inconsistent with the idea that the last two days of the month will have their own challenges.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

JJBers

QuoteJuly 30, 2017: Use any challenge done on the 30th of any month
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

US71

Quote from: JJBers on July 30, 2017, 03:41:11 PM

As in any challenge that was issued on the 30th ?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jbnv

Quote from: US71 on July 30, 2017, 07:16:54 PM

As in any challenge that was issued on the 30th ?

The one on February 30 was particulalry interesting.  ;)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

JJBers

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

empirestate

Quote from: jbnv on July 30, 2017, 12:57:28 PM
I assume the challenge labeled "July 29" is actually for July 30? July 29 was the recap.

The poster who announced the recap stated that "This serves as the Challenge for today," but that doesn't go with the practice we have established. I don't see how it can serve as the daily challenge itself (use any challenge from this month?). It's also inconsistent with the idea that the last two days of the month will have their own challenges.

Hmm? That's precisely the practice I've established, except when somebody sneaks in a different Challenge while I'm typing up the recap. ;-)

I mean, it's never been made official or anything, but I always announce that the recap is its own day's Challenge (typically the 28th or 29th) and that the remaining days will also get their own Challenges. If that seems weird, we could certainly discuss other ways of doing it, but I haven't heard any complaints before now. (The idea, by the way, was to allow at least the first day of the recap to be devoted to revisiting older content, without having another Challenge come in right away and pull the focus, as it were. Unfortunately, that went a bit awry this time...)

Correct; the July 29th Challenge was the recap. The Challenge posted on July 30th was this:

July 30, 2017: Use any challenge done on the 30th of any month

That's still open, as there hasn't been a qualifying Answer posted for it yet (and it's the 31st by my clock). As soon as one is, it will be closed. (I have a feeling that may not be for a long time...)

formulanone

QuoteJuly 3, 2017: Road signs with any amount of money on them. Tolls, parking, fines, etc.

Texas Beltway 8 tollbooth:

Entrance to Holland Tunnel, New Jersey's side (you'll have to click/squint):

On an even higher price level, a speeding ticket menu on CR 714 in Martin County, Florida:

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Mergingtraffic

QuotePost nighttime road photos containing impressive city skylines or urban scenery.

QuoteJuly 21, 2017: In honor of the 48th anniversary of man on the moon, post something with 48 OR post a sign with moon on it

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WFnDuc]

QuoteDedicated U-turns

[url=https://flic.kr/p/W1XyKw]
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

wanderer2575

QuoteJuly 3, 2017: Road signs with any amount of money on them. Tolls, parking, fines, etc.

Conshohocken, PA.  Choose wisely.

US71

QuoteJuly 19, 2017: Dedicated U-turns.

Old US 66 near St Louis

Osceola, MO "Michigan Left"

empirestate

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 31, 2017, 11:22:53 AM
QuoteJuly 20, 2017
Challenge: Post nighttime road photos containing impressive city skylines or urban scenery.

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_2_images/2_skyline_night_24x16.jpg

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/PQ/MTL/Montreal_1_24x16.jpg

These are road photos? The road's a little tough to spot; you may need to work on your framing... ;-)

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 31, 2017, 11:28:47 AM
QuoteJuly 21, 2017: In honor of the 48th anniversary of man on the moon, post something with 48 OR post a sign with moon on it

Only one photo per Answer is allowed. (And only 3 Answers per post, as well.)

JJBers

Quote from: empirestate on July 31, 2017, 03:56:59 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 31, 2017, 11:28:47 AM

You mean one photo of a single sign per post.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

adventurernumber1

-once again, I am still incapacitated at uploading my own photos from my own phone to the computer as of yet, so most of these pictures are crappy screenshots of my pictures on my phone (that I took) from my brother's phone - tl; dr, I apologize for the bad quality of my pictures until things are fixed, which will be ASAP.

QuoteJuly 1, 2017
Challenge: Post signage for lower-tier, state-level signed route systems.

This is from Tennessee Highway 153 Northbound (limited-access) in Chattanooga, TN: (showcasing two of Tennessee's Secondary State Highways (17 & 317))

QuoteJuly 5, 2017: You can see the road you're on for more than 1 mile ahead.

After scrolling through the many consecutive pictures (and videos) I took in this area of my camera roll on my trip to Charleston, South Carolina, it appears that right here, among the rolling hills along the newly widened stretch of Interstate 26 east of Columbia, you can see approximately close to two miles ahead of you. This is verified by the fact that this particular picture is taken right at Mile Marker 121, and the amount of road you can see ahead of you right here measures out to about all the way to Mile Marker 123. Here is the photo:

(on I-26 Eastbound at Mile Marker 121 - SC)

QuoteJuly 7, 2017
Challenge: Post a modern-day road scene that you feel is "timeless", like it could have been taken 50-60 years ago, in the Golden Age of highway travel.

Being inspired by Eth's black-and-white filtered road photo on Page 73, here is my similarly filtered photo as my contribution for this challenge:
Georgia Highway 369 Westbound over Lake Lanier near Gainesville, Georgia (from my trip there in April 2017), on the old, cantilever truss bridge (Browns Bridge), which will soon be taken down.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

MNHighwayMan

MN-112 at its eastern terminus, looking west.

jmd41280

US 30 eastbound near Buckstown, PA - This stretch of US 30 is called the Seven Mile Stretch and it begins just east of the entrance of the Flight 93 National Memorial. 

US 30 - east of Stoystown, PA (7 Mile Stretch) by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

empirestate

Quote from: JJBers on July 31, 2017, 04:01:51 PM
Quote from: empirestate on July 31, 2017, 03:56:59 PM
You mean one photo of a single sign per post.

If the sign is the answer to the Challenge, yes–well, one photo of each single sign, in that case. But not all Challenges ask for signs.

adventurernumber1

QuoteJuly 10, 2017: Numbers 1000+ on road signs, in as many different formats as possible, e.g. route number, distance in miles, distance in feet, house number, AM radio station, weight limit in pounds, population sign, elevation sign, etc. Try to get as many different types as possible.

It's a little hard to see, but the "ROAD WORK 1500 FT" sign on the left - this is off of Interstate 75 Southbound in Georgia right before Exit 326 (Carbondale Road), which is undergoing a major overhaul:

QuoteJuly 27, 2017: BGS's listing two control cities in one single direction along one particular road.  BGS must include a cardinal direction; no twin-cities or multiplexes.

Here, Interstate 24 travels northwest and serves both the control cities Chattanooga and Nashville. This sign is off of Interstate 75 Northbound just north of the GA/TN border, at the US 41/US 76 interchange:

QuoteJuly 15, 2017: Post an exit sign ending with a 5 or 0.

This is off of Interstate 20 Eastbound in Lexington, South Carolina:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

adventurernumber1

QuoteJuly 24, 2017: Post road photos containing some reference to the team name of a local high school or college.  A reference to the name of the school itself will not suffice--it must reference the name of the team (Spartans, Panthers, Lions, etc.)

At Dalton High School, our mascot is the Catamounts. As a result, there are a few roads in town that have cat paws painted on the pavement, including on the parking lot outside the actual high school. Here is one example, looking on Manly Street Westbound (Dalton, GA) right past the intersection with W. Waugh Street:

Here is another example, looking on Cappes Street Northbound right at our home football field (it being on the right): - unlike the first photo in this post, the two nexts ones are not taken by me - rather, they are screenshots from Google Maps because I did not happen to have pictures of Cappes St. in my personal collection.

(Google Maps Street View)

since the last photo has horrendous quality, here is an alternative view of the exact same thing, except this shot is from Google Maps Satellite:

adventurernumber1

QuoteJuly 15, 2017: Post an exit sign ending with a 5 or 0.

This is off of the newly widened section of Interstate 26 southeast of Columbia, S.C.: (this is I-26 Eastbound)

This is off of I-26 Eastbound, northwest of Charleston, S.C. (but still in the metro area):

This is off of Interstate 575 Southbound in Canton, Georgia:

Mergingtraffic

Did I miss today's? I don't see one. Well if that's the case:

Quote8/1 Post a photo of button copy with a non-reflective background!

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

US71

formulanone

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on August 01, 2017, 12:54:54 PM
Did I miss today's? I don't see one. Well if that's the case:

Half-credit awarded...your car is reflecting part of it. :sombrero:

Many photos of the stuff, but one of my favorites is this light/dark combo outside SFO on US 101:

The rare spot of it between Boynton Beach and Boca Raton  on I-95:

Texas has some scattered bits of button copy along US 83 in the Rio Grande Valley:

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jmd41280

Although it appears the route marker has been replaced w/ a reflective sign, the rest of this sign (in Bellaire, OH) remains button copy...

Hopefully this still counts...

OH Route 7 Button Copy Sign - Bellaire, OH by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.