News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

QuoteMarch 9, 2018: show a sign that references a 20th century president.

Richard Nixon Parkway in Yorba Linda CA (where people seem to still like him). Photo from the AARoads galleries.

And my own photo for another unpopular 20th Century president, the Herbert Hoover Highway in Iowa (from I-80):

Oh, and the President George Bush Turnpike in Dallas TX (so named before W. became president, so at that time the only President Bush was George H.W.):

EDIT: I'm over-quota and out of time and photos, but there's still room for Teddy Roosevelt (try the North Dakota national park named for him), FDR (the New York City parkway), Wilson (the bridge in the D.C. area), LBJ (I-635 in Dallas), and Reagan (freeways in Cincinnati and the Los Angeles region, at least, as well as Reagan National Airport in the D.C. area). There also must be something named for Coolidge in Vermont. Harding might be the most difficult.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

empirestate

Quote from: TBKS1 on March 09, 2018, 07:20:54 PM

Of course since I live in Arkansas, I only have this. I'm pretty sure Arkansas still has a bad reputation because of him. lol

Not sure how to break this to you, but...Arkansas' reputation was bad long before Slick Willy came around. :-D

(And if anything, he actually helped kick it back up a notch. Until...)

US71

Quote from: empirestate on March 09, 2018, 08:49:27 PM
Quote from: TBKS1 on March 09, 2018, 07:20:54 PM

Of course since I live in Arkansas, I only have this. I'm pretty sure Arkansas still has a bad reputation because of him. lol

Not sure how to break this to you, but...Arkansas' reputation was bad long before Slick Willy came around. :-D

(And if anything, he actually help kick it back up a notch. Until...)

Thank you, Orval Faubus.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Rothman

NY 470 has a sign mounted on a utility pole in Cohoes, NY with a non-MUTCD compliant left arrow.  Thought I had a picture of it somewhere...but I do not.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Jim

QuoteMarch 10, 2018: Post pictures with signs showing shields from at least 2 children of the same route.  This could be Interstates with 2 3dis of the same 2di or the equivalent in other road systems.  Bonus points if the parent is in the picture also.

Here's one to get us started.  I should be able to pick out a few more later.

I-95 with its children I-395 and I-495 in northern Virginia.  June 2, 2004.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Mapmikey

QuoteMarch 10, 2018: Post pictures with signs showing shields from at least 2 children of the same route.  This could be Interstates with 2 3dis of the same 2di or the equivalent in other road systems.  Bonus points if the parent is in the picture also.

Here are 3 children of US 21.  US 21 is shorter than all three of these...

May 2014

Truvelo

280 and 880 without parent.

Speed limits limit life

paulthemapguy

I-65, I-465, and I-865 in Indianapolis:

IN-I-465X25NA by Paul Drives, on Flickr

US31, US231, and US331 in Montgomery, AL:

IMG_0181 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

I-494 and I-694 at the east end of the Twin Cities' beltway:

MN-I-494ET by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

hbelkins

2017 Delaware trip Day 1 - 097 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

This counts because KY 227 is the former routing of US 227.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

csw

I feel like I've posted pictures from this area at least 10 times, but here's another. IN-450 along the US 50/US 150 concurrency in Loogootee, IN.

US71

Not sure if this counts, but it's as close as I can get.

TBKS1

I have this one. Dunno if it will work or not.

I-40, I-440, AR-440
by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Thing 342

Here's one from yesterday:

I-279 S at I-579, taken by me

Truvelo

I should have done a more thorough search before posting my last entry as I've found one with the parent.

Speed limits limit life

US 89

US 191 and 491 in Monticello, UT at 491's northern terminus. US 91 is actually shorter than both of its children.

Thing 342

Almost forgot this one from last year, which fits better:

I-95 N at I-395/495 in Springfield, VA; Taken by me

It's a newer vision of a sign posted earlier by Jim.

hbelkins

Quote from: roadguy2 on March 10, 2018, 06:40:14 PM

US 191 and 491 in Monticello, UT at 491's northern terminus. US 91 is actually shorter than both of its children.

So all mentions of "Old US 666" or '"Formerly US 666" are gone now?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2018, 09:17:36 PM

The renumbering happened nearly fifteen years ago, in 2003. I should hope they were removed at least five years ago, if not ten.

US 89

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 10, 2018, 09:21:45 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2018, 09:17:36 PM

The renumbering happened nearly fifteen years ago, in 2003. I should hope they were removed at least five years ago, if not ten.

Any “old 666” signs in Utah or Colorado had been removed by the time I drove through there in 2013. GSV does show a “former 666” sign in Gallup that was still posted in 2016, but I’m not sure if that sign is still up.

wanderer2575

QuoteMarch 11, 2018:  Two or more concurrent routes but signage for one route is distinctly separate from the others.

Jackson, MI:

Pretty much anywhere along I-86/NY-17 (when I drove it several years ago):

MNHighwayMan

QuoteMarch 11, 2018:  Two or more concurrent routes but signage for one route is distinctly separate from the others.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this would apply as an example, what with the two routes being on separate sign panels.

mrpablue

Featuring the world's favorite Interstate.

US 89

Crescent Jct, UT: (US 50 is also concurrent with I-70 and US 6, but it isn't mentioned)

Tremonton, UT: do reassurance shields count?

Outside Park City, UT:

US71

paulthemapguy

I guess the criteria for this challenge are less strict than I thought.

OH-235 and 366

OH-366-365NR by Paul Drives, on Flickr

I-277 and US224

OH-I-277 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.