AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: The "Travel" board -- not visible when not logged in  (Read 1326 times)

hbelkins

• (Censored by spoilsports. They ruin everything.)

• Last Login: Today at 01:23:16 AM
    • Millennium Highway
The "Travel" board -- not visible when not logged in
« on: June 13, 2017, 10:54:17 PM »

I was perusing the forum without being logged in today and noticed that the "Travel" board isn't visible when you're not logged in. What's the rationale for this? I know why "Fictional" and "Illustrations" are not visible to non-members, but why the "Travel" board? I'd think "Off-Topic" would be more of a candidate for being invisible to non-members than "Travel."

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 09:40:07 AM
Re: The "Travel" board -- not visible when not logged in
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 11:13:06 PM »

I was perusing the forum without being logged in today and noticed that the "Travel" board isn't visible when you're not logged in. What's the rationale for this? I know why "Fictional" and "Illustrations" are not visible to non-members, but why the "Travel" board? I'd think "Off-Topic" would be more of a candidate for being invisible to non-members than "Travel."

Travel is probably invisible because it doesn't have to specifically be road-related discussions.

Also, Off-Topic and Mass Transit are invisible to non-members, I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: Turns out Off-Topic is visible to nonmembers.
Interstate clinches: 14, 82, 215 (UT), 225, 345, 444, 575
US clinches: 491, 550

Flickr

briantroutman

• Last Login: Today at 08:56:14 AM
    • briantroutman.com/land
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 11:17:56 PM »

I was perusing the forum without being logged in today and noticed that the "Travel" board isn't visible when you're not logged in. What's the rationale for this?

I thought I read the rationale as being that these threads may contain semi-sensitive information—disclosing the travel plans of specific members on particular days—and therefore should be kept from outsiders’ eyes.

Edited to add: No, information about travel itineraries would be on the Road Trips board, not Travel. And Road Trips is visible to non-members. (As is the Road Enthusiast Meets board, and that frequently contains ultra-specific itinerary information.)

Perhaps Travel is hidden from non-members for the same reason that Off-Topic should be?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:32:22 PM by briantroutman »

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 11:53:55 PM »

I was perusing the forum without being logged in today and noticed that the "Travel" board isn't visible when you're not logged in. What's the rationale for this?

I thought I read the rationale as being that these threads may contain semi-sensitive information—disclosing the travel plans of specific members on particular days—and therefore should be kept from outsiders’ eyes.

Edited to add: No, information about travel itineraries would be on the Road Trips board, not Travel. And Road Trips is visible to non-members. (As is the Road Enthusiast Meets board, and that frequently contains ultra-specific itinerary information.)

Perhaps Travel is hidden from non-members for the same reason that Off-Topic should be?

And Mass Transit...don't want a bunch of anti-road, pro-mass-transit people flooding this forum...

Flickr

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 07:23:00 AM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 11:29:12 PM »

And Mass Transit...don't want a bunch of anti-road, pro-mass-transit people flooding this forum...

To be fair, there's nothing stopping them from creating their own accounts and, as long as they adhere to the guidelines, posting.  In point of fact, I know of a few that do have accounts here.

vdeane

• Last Login: July 20, 2018, 09:16:19 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 12:34:11 PM »

I think the idea is that, by hiding the forums, people who aren't already registered will be less likely to know they even exist.  Trouble is, the question comes up so often in this forum that it's not as effective as it could be.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

• (Censored by spoilsports. They ruin everything.)

• Last Login: Today at 01:23:16 AM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 01:40:29 PM »

Doubtful. Some of us are easily identifiable from our user names here, but names like "vdeane" and "froggie" and "roadguy2" don't really give any clues as to a poster's true identity. And even if your user name is "oscar" -- well, how many thousands of people named Oscar are there in the world?

Of course, I'd prefer that everyone here be identified by real name and not hide behind a user name so everyone knows who they're talking with.

Roadgeekteen

• f the jets and yankees

• Last Login: April 06, 2018, 11:40:33 PM
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 02:05:52 PM »

Doubtful. Some of us are easily identifiable from our user names here, but names like "vdeane" and "froggie" and "roadguy2" don't really give any clues as to a poster's true identity. And even if your user name is "oscar" -- well, how many thousands of people named Oscar are there in the world?

Of course, I'd prefer that everyone here be identified by real name and not hide behind a user name so everyone knows who they're talking with.
Road enthusiast meetings has photos of people. I am confused why travel is hidden. Road trips and road enthusiasts meeting have more personal information.
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Views expressed are my own, not my employer's.

• Last Login: July 20, 2018, 11:02:15 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 07:35:15 PM »

Okay, Hayward.
~ Steve
http://www.alpsroads.net
I've listened many times, and I still can't figure out what the fox says.

"YOUR NAME IS NAMED AFTER A BUTT"

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 07:09:17 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 04:30:54 AM »

To be fair, there's nothing stopping them from creating their own accounts and, as long as they adhere to the guidelines, posting.  In point of fact, I know of a few that do have accounts here.

The point is that you join the forums because you want to participate in the roads discussions that you can see while you're lurking, then when you register you find the hidden forums as a bonus and can post to them if it interests you. We don't want people to join if they are only going to post in those two forums—just posting in fictional and nowhere else doesn't really add much value to the forum unless you can create a fictional world everyone gets sucked into and wants to live in (and if you can why aren't you writing books about it?), and we don't want to attract a large community of anti-road transit advocates that spill out into the other forums and shame people for liking the idea of having an interstate built. (It wouldn't be much fun for anyone if every I-69 thread were filled with "think of how many buses you could buy with this money" every third post.)

For Travel it is a little bit of the safety issue and a little bit of the same as the other two, as we want roadgeeks to have a place to enjoy commenting on their travels, which are not likely to be to the sort of places you might find in travel magazines ("ugh, why would you even thing about staying in Vicksburg, Mississippi? Let me give you an exhaustive review of every hotel in Cabo San Lucas so you can go on a real trip..."). Less likely to happen than the other two forums, but not really something I think anyone would want to deal with.

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 07:24:27 AM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 08:14:36 AM »

For Travel it is a little bit of the safety issue and a little bit of the same as the other two, as we want roadgeeks to have a place to enjoy commenting on their travels, which are not likely to be to the sort of places you might find in travel magazines ("ugh, why would you even thing about staying in Vicksburg, Mississippi? Let me give you an exhaustive review of every hotel in Cabo San Lucas so you can go on a real trip..."). Less likely to happen than the other two forums, but not really something I think anyone would want to deal with.

But that would go in the Road Trips category.
Clinched, plus MA 108

Traveled, plus:
US ⒉⒔50
MA ⒐22.40.99.10⒎10⒏1⒒1⒚127.141.159.286
NH 27,111A
NY 366
GA 42,140
FL A1A
CT 32

Flickr

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 08:58:20 AM
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 08:23:17 AM »

The point is that you join the forums because you want to participate in the roads discussions that you can see while you're lurking, then when you register you find the hidden forums as a bonus and can post to them if it interests you. We don't want people to join if they are only going to post in those two forums—just posting in fictional and nowhere else doesn't really add much value to the forum unless you can create a fictional world everyone gets sucked into and wants to live in (and if you can why aren't you writing books about it?), and we don't want to attract a large community of anti-road transit advocates that spill out into the other forums and shame people for liking the idea of having an interstate built. (It wouldn't be much fun for anyone if every I-69 thread were filled with "think of how many buses you could buy with this money" every third post.)

Lord knows any newspaper article favoring bicycles and mass transit that allows commenting usually attracts numerous anti-road people to the point where it's impossible to have any sort of discussion.  And I seriously doubt bus, train and bicycle forums would even entertain the thought of having a dedicated car topic in their forums.

I would love to figure out that community a little, actually.  I happened to be in a parking lot of a store near an state road intersection to my house.  I noticed a traffic counter person at the intersection.  I also noticed a lot of bicyclists going thru the intersection.  And I mean, a LOT of bicyclists.  Every time one would come thru, the traffic counter person would mark her little clipboard.  She wasn't concerned about anything else.  Knowing this intersection a mile from my house, I can tell you that not only does this intersection see very few bicyclists, the normal bicyclist going thru this intersection is more of a local, and definitely not riding fairly expensive bicycles with helmets and bicycling gear.

It was clear that the bicycling community found out something about the traffic counter at the intersection ahead of time, and purposely arranged to have the cyclists park somewhere nearby and ride thru this intersection.  I didn't stick around or try to determine if the bicyclists were looping around to increase the count, although I would suspect that they would need to reverse their direction at some point to return to their origin.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 09:28:21 AM »

just posting in fictional and nowhere else doesn't really add much value to the forum unless you can create a fictional world everyone gets sucked into and wants to live in (and if you can why aren't you writing books about it?)

Someone really should or should not write a book about Alanland.

I would love to figure out that community a little, actually.  I happened to be in a parking lot of a store near an state road intersection to my house.  I noticed a traffic counter person at the intersection.  I also noticed a lot of bicyclists going thru the intersection.  And I mean, a LOT of bicyclists.  Every time one would come thru, the traffic counter person would mark her little clipboard.  She wasn't concerned about anything else.  Knowing this intersection a mile from my house, I can tell you that not only does this intersection see very few bicyclists, the normal bicyclist going thru this intersection is more of a local, and definitely not riding fairly expensive bicycles with helmets and bicycling gear.

It was clear that the bicycling community found out something about the traffic counter at the intersection ahead of time, and purposely arranged to have the cyclists park somewhere nearby and ride thru this intersection.  I didn't stick around or try to determine if the bicyclists were looping around to increase the count, although I would suspect that they would need to reverse their direction at some point to return to their origin.

What is the purpose of this? Try to convince the state DOT that there's more bike traffic than there actually is, so that they will remove vehicle lanes and put bike lanes there instead?

Flickr

Roadgeekteen

• f the jets and yankees

• Last Login: April 06, 2018, 11:40:33 PM
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 03:08:04 PM »

I enjoy reading fictional highway senarios.
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 07:23:00 AM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 04:03:14 PM »

Quote from: Scott5114
We don't want people to join if they are only going to post in those two forums—just posting in fictional and nowhere else doesn't really add much value to the forum unless you can create a fictional world everyone gets sucked into and wants to live in

You're aware that we have a few people on this forum who fit this description to a T, right?

Quote from: jeffandnicole
Lord knows any newspaper article favoring bicycles and mass transit that allows commenting usually attracts numerous anti-road people to the point where it's impossible to have any sort of discussion.

That may be the case in Jersey, and while the end result is similar elsewhere, the means aren't.  In those areas I'm familiar with, such articles tend to attract more anti-bike and anti-transit commenters than they do anti-road comments...referring to DC, Norfolk, and Minneapolis specifically here.

It was clear that the bicycling community found out something about the traffic counter at the intersection ahead of time, and purposely arranged to have the cyclists park somewhere nearby and ride thru this intersection.

Again, this may be a Jersey thing and possibly other areas, but not everywhere.  The bike/ped counts I'm familiar with in Minneapolis and the DC area are legit counts without the type of "inflation" you're referring to.

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 07:09:17 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 03:00:25 AM »

Quote from: Scott5114
We don't want people to join if they are only going to post in those two forums—just posting in fictional and nowhere else doesn't really add much value to the forum unless you can create a fictional world everyone gets sucked into and wants to live in

You're aware that we have a few people on this forum who fit this description to a T, right?

Why do you think we changed it so it isn't visible to non-logged-in users? ;)

JJBers

• I'm a road geek in the middle of nowhere

• Last Login: June 15, 2018, 08:39:10 PM
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »

You think of how many buses we can buy instead of building I-69...so many that we need to build I-69. :spin:
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di: I-81 [TN, WV-MD], I-84, I-95 [NH, CT-NY, MD-GA], and I-91)

Alps

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 03:53:02 PM »

You think of how many buses we can buy instead of building I-69...so many that we need to build I-69. :spin:
What the fuck?
~ Steve

JJBers

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 03:55:58 PM »

What the fuck?
See from few posts back...though the last part makes no sense looking back.

LGL52VL

Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Alps

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »

What the fuck?

LGL52VL

None of it makes sense... always helps to quote.
~ Steve

MNHighwayMan

• RIP MN-110 1965–2018

• Last Login: Today at 12:31:16 AM
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 05:21:25 PM »

Like Alanland.  :bigass:

JJBers

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 05:36:11 PM »

What the fuck?

LGL52VL

(It wouldn't be much fun for anyone if every I-69 thread were filled with "think of how many buses you could buy with this money" every third post.)

Source material...

LGL52VL

Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Alps

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2017, 11:19:16 PM »

What the fuck?

LGL52VL

(It wouldn't be much fun for anyone if every I-69 thread were filled with "think of how many buses you could buy with this money" every third post.)

Source material...

That's legit. :D
~ Steve

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 11:51:45 PM »

Maybe you could scrap those buses for parts and recycle the parts to help make the asphalt to pave I-69.  :rolleyes:

Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.