News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Snow...

Started by BigMattFromTexas, December 04, 2009, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

QuoteVDOT typically gets the Interstates and principal arterials clear within a day or two.  The secondaries take a bit longer.  For Tuesday morning, my suggestion would be to stick to the primary routes within Virginia and avoid the secondaries.

My philosophy on snow has been that if you're getting enough that roads need to be plowed, it's better to stay on the slightly worse backroad then the plowed main road, since the plowed main road is still going to be slick and you're more likely to have to worry about idiots being idiots- and with less traffic you can drive faster

mightyace

Quote from: corco on February 01, 2010, 02:20:11 AM
My philosophy on snow has been that if you're getting enough that roads need to be plowed, it's better to stay on the slightly worse backroad then the plowed main road, since the plowed main road is still going to be slick and you're more likely to have to worry about idiots being idiots- and with less traffic you can drive faster

True, but here in TN, at least, it is go on a plowed primary or an unplowed secondary!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

florida

Quote from: Chris on January 08, 2010, 04:39:24 PM
Wow crazy, there's even a wind chill advisory for the southern tip of Florida  :D

I know it's a bit late to be commenting on this, but we did have sleet down here on January 9th and the weather ticker on the news stated, "Ocala: 31 (degrees) Snow".

So many roads...so little time.

froggie

QuoteMy philosophy on snow has been that if you're getting enough that roads need to be plowed, it's better to stay on the slightly worse backroad then the plowed main road, since the plowed main road is still going to be slick and you're more likely to have to worry about idiots being idiots- and with less traffic you can drive faster

This doesn't exactly hold true up here...

Brandon

Quote from: corco on February 01, 2010, 02:20:11 AM

Not a bad one, but I modify that around there parts.  I find that major municipal streets tend to be the best to stick to when the snow flys.  Then I follow that up with major county highways, and finally IDOT roads.  ISTHA roads tend to be well plowed due to the limited number of miles of the system.  IDOT seems to have a very hard time getting back to anything that's not an interstate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alex

Caught this story while channel surfing last month:

LED Traffic Lights Fail in Snow?

rawmustard

SSOWorld

In WI the counties are responsible for plowing all highways within their jurisdiction above city level - city crews plow their streets (including highways)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

rickmastfan67

Got about 6 inches of snow outside from this big storm hitting the Northeast.  They are still saying we can get *at-least* another 2 inches by tomorrow afternoon.

deathtopumpkins

We got 7 inches in Hampton  last saturday ( the southside got more around 9, as did the middle peninsula. Richmond got closer to a foot), a little of which is still here, and they're forecasting another few inches this saturday.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

yanksfan6129

Sigh, the megastorm that is absolutely PUMMELING the area from DC to Philly hasn't given me a single flake, and if I go about 20 miles south, it's a winter wonderland...
No Fair!

Nexis4Jersey

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on February 06, 2010, 09:14:10 AM
Sigh, the megastorm that is absolutely PUMMELING the area from DC to Philly hasn't given me a single flake, and if I go about 20 miles south, it's a winter wonderland...
No Fair!

Agreed , ugh these NYC weathermen need to be beat up , they keep playing with our hopes.

tdindy88

What's really unfair is all these big storms ALWAYS going up the east coast. Isn't this Washington's second megastorm this season? What I have yet to see is a 20-inch snowfall here in Indiana. The only place in the state that ever seems to get them is up by South Bend, and even that is in a very limited area. Indy and points east got from eight to ten inches last night, but God for once, I want to see a good 20-inch snowfall. I would love to see the day when Marion County has to issue a snow emergency.

njroadhorse

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 06, 2010, 11:09:42 AM
What's really unfair is all these big storms ALWAYS going up the east coast. Isn't this Washington's second megastorm this season? What I have yet to see is a 20-inch snowfall here in Indiana. The only place in the state that ever seems to get them is up by South Bend, and even that is in a very limited area. Indy and points east got from eight to ten inches last night, but God for once, I want to see a good 20-inch snowfall. I would love to see the day when Marion County has to issue a snow emergency.

Don't feel that upset, my county in New Jersey has really gotten the shaft with these snowstorms, too.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

yanksfan6129

At least you got snow from this storm.

algorerhythms

Apparently at my parents' house they're going to get as much as 35 inches of snow from this storm. When I talked to my dad last night they already had two feet.

Stojko

There's been about 20cm of snow so far here... would have appreciated more. :(

rickmastfan67

Here in the North Hills of Pittsburgh, our final total came to.......

17.25 inches (they were only predicting 8-12 here)

And according to the news, this was our 4th biggest snowfall ever.

treichard

Baltimore got a modest dusting of snow:

Normally you can't see the yellow sign when driving by because the tree obstructs its view, but today it's visible from the street.  That's a tree, not a bush, below the yellow sign. Normally you can walk straight ahead without having any branches in the way.  You wouldn't see the knees of an adult standing in the snow today.
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

BigMattFromTexas

We've got some small flurries but nothing like in Decembre...
BigMatt

froggie

Of the reports I've seen thus far, top honors goes to Colesville, MD, in eastern Montgomery County, with a report of 40 inches.  A large swath of 30+ across Loudoun, Montgomery, Howard, northern Prince Georges, and Anne Arundel Counties.

Dulles reported just under 33, whereas there as just under 18 at DCA (the "Potomac effect", as I'm calling it).

mightyace

The reason the east coast gets these mega-storms is a similar reason to why South Bend, IN, Ashtabula, OH, Erie, PA, Buffalo and Rochester, NY get 20" snowstorms.  Those cities are all in the lake effect zones of one or more of the great lakes.  The air moving over the relatively warm water picks up the moisture and deposits it on the windward shore as snow.  The east coast storms or the classic 'Noreaster, have part of the low pressure system off the coast where the rotating winds pick up the warm Gulf Stream water.

Nexis4Jersey

My Ant's farm near Philly got almost 3 or 4 feet of snow + she lives on a hill , so now shes stranded.  This is the first time in 10 years that a storm has shut down the Northeast Corridor, and other Transit networks (rail) even the Acela is cancelled till Monday  :eyebrow:

mightyace

^^^

Man, that's bad.

The Northeast [rail] Corridor is usually the one mode of transportation that runs when everything else is stopped.

Scott5114

Oklahoma is forecasted to pick up a third snowstorm tomorrow. Most of the time we only get one per year! At least this time it's on one of my days off so I don't have to worry about missing work (thus missing money, which I'm tight on at the moment...)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.