News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Crossroads of your state

Started by ParrDa, July 17, 2017, 03:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

It's DFW. Austin's location makes sense but there is only one Interstate there (as of now, anyways). DFW has four Interstates and a lot of major US highways as well.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thspfc on May 19, 2021, 12:53:50 PM
It's DFW. Austin's location makes sense but there is only one Interstate there (as of now, anyways). DFW has four Interstates and a lot of major US highways as well.
I also agree with DFW, but San Antonio is a close second for me.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Bruce

For Washington, it's probably I-5 and I-90 if going for major connections.

andrepoiy

I wonder what Ontario's crossroads would be.

If one travels from Western Ontario to Eastern Ontario, they wouldn't even touch Toronto.

However, most of the population is in Southern Ontario, in which case, Toronto would probably the crossroad. But then, if you're travelling from Niagara to Windsor, you don't touch Toronto either. I have no idea.

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 17, 2017, 09:39:58 PM
Probably either CA 58 at CA 99 or I-5 at I-80 for California.
True and notable because of Agriculture traffic in the state.

bing101

Does the East LA Interchange count as Crossroads given that US-101, I-5, CA-60 and I-10. It's a major crossroads for Southern California.

achilles765

Quote from: bwana39 on May 19, 2021, 11:38:25 AM
I would think Dallas, particularly Downtown Dallas. I am sure some people would be equally vehement  that it is Houston. Some MIGHT argue San Antonio. It is academic that AUSTIN is not the center of anything except for governmental bureaucracy.  Arlington would like to claim it for their own as being the center of DFW.

As much as I love Houston I would have to admit that we are not the crossroads of the state. We're way too far to the southeast.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Avalanchez71

Tennessee is pretty obvious.

Nashville is the crossroads.  I-24, I-40, and I-65 all have a confluence in Nashville.  The rail traffic with the exception of Amtrak also comes together in Nashville.  The geographic center is not far from Nashville as well. 

JayhawkCO

I'll do another couple of states no one has mentioned.

Montana - It's a toss up between Butte and Bozeman, but I'll go with Bozeman.  They're both pretty close to the center of population of the state, but Bozeman has a better chance of getting passed through on the way to Yellowstone.  Not to mention it has a more popular airport.

North Dakota - I think this is pretty clearly Bismarck.  Closer to the population center than Fargo is.

South Dakota - One of the tougher ones to pick.  Two largest cities are on opposite sides of the state and there's not too much in the middle.  I might go something out of the box like Mitchell.  Direct connections to most of the state's largest cities.  Probably the closest biggish city to the center of population.   

Chris

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 20, 2021, 12:32:51 PM

Montana - It's a toss up between Butte and Bozeman, but I'll go with Bozeman.  They're both pretty close to the center of population of the state, but Bozeman has a better chance of getting passed through on the way to Yellowstone.  Not to mention it has a more popular airport.

North Dakota - I think this is pretty clearly Bismarck.  Closer to the population center than Fargo is.

South Dakota - One of the tougher ones to pick.  Two largest cities are on opposite sides of the state and there's not too much in the middle.  I might go something out of the box like Mitchell.  Direct connections to most of the state's largest cities.  Probably the closest biggish city to the center of population.   

Chris
What north-south route goes through Bismarck?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2021, 12:48:47 PM

Chris
US 83? It's actually 4 laned feom Bismarck to Minot, which is impressive for a very sparsely populated state for ND.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 20, 2021, 12:52:57 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2021, 12:48:47 PM

Chris
US 83? It's actually 4 laned feom Bismarck to Minot, which is actually impressive for a very sparsely populated state for ND.
Oh ok. Fargo does have the 2 interstates, but it's next to Minnesota.

webny99

I will have to disagree. Fargo is more populous, and it's where more people crossing the state will pass through because it has the N/S interstate as well as the E/W one.

FrCorySticha

I'd agree with Butte because of the two Interstates, but I'd argue Billings is more important as a crossroads for the eastern part of the state. Bozeman is only important mostly for I-90.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on May 20, 2021, 01:01:21 PM

I will have to disagree. Fargo is more populous, and it's where more people crossing the state will pass through because it has the N/S interstate as well as the E/W one.

I think it comes down to what our definition of crossroads is.  For me, it's when you're in the state, what is the area most likely traveled through from one place to another?  I think Fargo works if you're not concerned as much with non-North Dakota traffic, since heading east gets you to Minnesota and going north gets you to Winnipeg.  But within the state itself, I gotta go Bismarck.  It's the reason why San Antonio is a reasonable answer for Texas while Houston isn't even though Houston's metro area has almost 3x as many people as San Antonio's.

Quote from: FrCorySticha on May 20, 2021, 01:06:40 PM

I'd agree with Butte because of the two Interstates, but I'd argue Billings is more important as a crossroads for the eastern part of the state. Bozeman is only important mostly for I-90.

Similar to above.  Is someone traveling from one place to another within Montana more likely to travel through Billings or through Bozeman?  I'd argue Bozeman because it is between the other population centers (Billings, Missoula, Helena, Butte, etc.).  If you're coming from the West and travelling through Billings, where in Montana are you going to? Miles City? Glendive?

Just my two cents of course.

Chris

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 20, 2021, 03:38:41 PM

I think it comes down to what our definition of crossroads is.  For me, it's when you're in the state, what is the area most likely traveled through from one place to another?  I think Fargo works if you're not concerned as much with non-North Dakota traffic, since heading east gets you to Minnesota and going north gets you to Winnipeg.  But within the state itself, I gotta go Bismarck.  It's the reason why San Antonio is a reasonable answer for Texas while Houston isn't even though Houston's metro area has almost 3x as many people as San Antonio's.

Similar to above.  Is someone traveling from one place to another within Montana more likely to travel through Billings or through Bozeman?  I'd argue Bozeman because it is between the other population centers (Billings, Missoula, Helena, Butte, etc.).  If you're coming from the West and travelling through Billings, where in Montana are you going to? Miles City? Glendive?

Chris
I'd go with Butte. Bozeman only has one interstate.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2021, 03:44:12 PM

Chris

I don't know that amount interstates are the only qualifying criteria.

Chris

webny99

Point taken, but I see Bismarck as fairly one-dimensional and I think there's a pretty decent case for Fargo even using your definition. There's not a whole lot of N/S traffic thru traffic passing through Bismarck. Other than Minot, from most other origins you're going to be using I-29 or some other N/S corridor and then entering Bismarck on I-94.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 20, 2021, 03:46:32 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2021, 03:44:12 PM

Chris

Chris
Well crossroads indicates that it's some sort of junction.

empirestate

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2021, 05:04:49 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on May 20, 2021, 03:46:32 PM

Chris
Well crossroads indicates that it's some sort of junction.

The criteria I was using seemed to make sense to several people. Is there another prevailing "theory" as to what a crossroads should be?

FrCorySticha

Chris
One thing to recognize for travel within Montana: the Interstates aren't that important for travel between locations within the state. I don't know the stats, but my experience is that most travel on Montana interstates is for people passing through the state, traveling from out of state to a location within the state, or traveling from a location within Montana to another state. For travel within Montana, Bozeman is usually out of the way when more direct routes exist along sufficient 2-lane highways. Billings, however, is the largest city and metropolitan area within the state, and so is a destination of its own. It also includes major corridors not only along the interstates towards southwestern and southeastern Montana, but also central, eastern, and northern Montana.

TLDR: my experience is that Billings is far more important as a crossroads than Bozeman. An argument can easily be made that Butte is a crossroads for Montana west of the Rockies, but Billings is very much the crossroads east of the Rockies.

thspfc

No one has attempted a full list yet, so based on my opinions and the opinions of others in this thread, here's mine:

Alaska: Fairbanks
Hawaii: Honolulu
Washington: Seattle
Oregon: Portland
California: Tracy
Arizona: Phoenix (duh)
New Mexico: Albuquerque (duh)
Colorado: Denver (duh)
Utah: SLC
Nevada: Vegas
Idaho: Boise
Montana: Billings
North Dakota: Fargo
South Dakota: Sioux Falls
Nebraska: Omaha
Kansas: Wichita
Oklahoma: OKC (duh)
Texas: DFW
Louisiana: Alexandria
Arkansas: Little Rock (duh)
Missouri: Jefferson City
Iowa: Des Moines (duh)
Minnesota: MSP
Wisconsin: Madison
Illinois: Chicago
Indiana: Indianapolis (big duh, as it's the crossroads of the entire country)
Michigan: Lansing
Ohio: Columbus (no, it's not Dayton, please don't overthink it)
Kentucky: Lexington
Tennessee: Nashville (duh)
Mississippi: Jackson
Alabama: Montgomery
Florida: Orlando
Georgia: Atlanta (again, please don't overthink it)
South Carolina: Columbia
North Carolina: Greensboro
Virginia: Richmond
West Virginia: Charleston
Maryland: Baltimore
Delaware: Wilmington
Pennsylvania: Harrisburg
New Jersey: Newark
New York: Albany
Connecticut: Hartford
Rhode Island: Providence
Massachusetts: Springfield
Vermont: Montpelier
New Hampshire: Concord
Maine: Augusta

Objections?

SkyPesos

Quote from: thspfc on May 20, 2021, 10:09:22 PM
Any city without an interstate highway should be automatically disqualified from being considered a crossroads imo. I mentioned KC or StL above, but if it have to be in the center of the state, go with Columbia.

I prefer Bloomington, but Chicago is an ok choice despite being in a corner of the state.

Roadgeekteen

No one has attempted a full list yet, so based on my opinions and the opinions of others in this thread, here's mine:

Objections?
I prefer Manchester for New Hampshire because of NH 101.

Avalanchez71

Objections?

I would say Metropolitan Louisville/Jefferson County would be the crossroads of Kentucky.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.