News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Crossroads of your state

Started by ParrDa, July 17, 2017, 03:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 21, 2021, 07:35:57 AM

I would say Metropolitan Louisville/Jefferson County would be the crossroads of Kentucky.

I would agree. I think having a third 2di gives it the edge over Lexington.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on May 20, 2021, 10:09:22 PM
New York: Albany

Objections?

There was some debate about this earlier in the thread. Some say Syracuse, some say Albany. You could maybe even make a case for Binghamton.

I'm in the Syracuse camp on the basis that it's more central than Albany and it's a crossroads for a greater number of in-state trips. Albany isn't a ridiculous answer by any means, but most trips between Western/Central NY and Downstate/NYC don't go through Albany.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on May 21, 2021, 08:17:14 AM

Objections?

There was some debate about this earlier in the thread. Some say Syracuse, some say Albany. You could maybe even make a case for Binghamton.

I'm in the Syracuse camp on the basis that it's more central than Albany and it's a crossroads for a greater number of in-state trips. Albany isn't a ridiculous answer by any means, but most trips between Western/Central NY and Downstate/NYC don't go through Albany.
Is the Thruway not the fastest route between much of Western New York and NYC?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2021, 08:49:01 AM

Not east of Syracuse, no.

It's either I-86 to Binghamton or I-90 to Syracuse, and then I-81 to I-380 to I-80.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on May 21, 2021, 09:18:05 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2021, 08:49:01 AM

It's either I-86 to Binghamton or I-90 to Syracuse, and then I-81 to I-380 to I-80.
Oh ok. Interesting because that route goes through 2 other states.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2021, 09:24:20 AM
Quote from: webny99 on May 21, 2021, 09:18:05 AM

Oh ok. Interesting because that route goes through 2 other states.

Yes, it does indeed. This has been discussed quite a bit on this forum.

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 21, 2021, 07:39:53 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 21, 2021, 07:35:57 AM

I would say Metropolitan Louisville/Jefferson County would be the crossroads of Kentucky.

I would agree. I think having a third 2di gives it the edge over Lexington.
Yeah, KY is a toss up between those two.

US 89

Alabama: Montgomery

I feel like Birmingham would be a better choice, just from my own personal experiences of driving in Alabama.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: US 89 on May 21, 2021, 11:25:23 AM
Alabama: Montgomery

I feel like Birmingham would be a better choice, just from my own personal experiences of driving in Alabama.
I agree. Montgomery doesn't have an interstate from the west.

JayhawkCO

No one has attempted a full list yet, so based on my opinions and the opinions of others in this thread, here's mine:

Alaska: Fairbanks

Objections?

I would say Alaska has to be Anchorage.  Most of the population is in the southern part of the state.  The only other I could possibly think of would be, generically, the Mat-Su Valley, since AK1 and AK3 meet in between Wasilla and Palmer.

Chris

vdeane

Objections?

There's an argument to be made that Syracuse is the crossroads of upstate and Albany is the crossroads of the state as a whole.  I guess two questions would be, does it count as a crossroads to somewhere if traffic has to change routes once or twice (and maybe even pass through two more states) to get there, and how much Rochester/Buffalo traffic to NYC is going through Syracuse?  I know my parents always favored I-390/NY 17 to Binghamton and points south, even though Google says Thruway/I-690/I-81 is marginally faster.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on May 21, 2021, 12:54:20 PM
There's an argument to be made that Syracuse is the crossroads of upstate and Albany is the crossroads of the state as a whole.

Interesting thought, although if you were weighting towards downstate, wouldn't the case for Binghamton be almost as strong as Albany? Or maybe that's just Western NY bias and I'm underrating the North Country.   

I guess two questions would be, does it count as a crossroads to somewhere if traffic has to change routes once or twice (and maybe even pass through two more states) to get there, and how much Rochester/Buffalo traffic to NYC is going through Syracuse?

(1) I'm open to suggestions on this one, but I think so. After all, a crossroads (at least in the context of Indiana being the crossroads of America, which was the original inspiration for this thread) is all about long-distance traffic.

(2) My estimates would be 85% for Rochester and 45% for Buffalo. At the time of this post, Google thinks the Southern Tier route to the I-81/I-86 split is about 15 minutes longer from Rochester and basically a toss-up from Buffalo. I personally prefer I-390/I-86 because it has less traffic and better scenery, but it adds more mileage than you might think because of I-390 bending westward and the less straightforward routing of I-86.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on May 21, 2021, 01:21:33 PM
There's an argument to be made that Syracuse is the crossroads of upstate and Albany is the crossroads of the state as a whole.

Interesting thought, although if you were weighting towards downstate, wouldn't the case for Binghamton be almost as strong as Albany? Or maybe that's just Western NY bias and I'm underrating the North Country.   

I guess two questions would be, does it count as a crossroads to somewhere if traffic has to change routes once or twice (and maybe even pass through two more states) to get there, and how much Rochester/Buffalo traffic to NYC is going through Syracuse?

(1) I'm open to suggestions on this one, but I think so. After all, a crossroads (at least in the context of Indiana being the crossroads of America, which was the original inspiration for this thread) is all about long-distance traffic.

(2) My estimates would be 85% for Rochester and 45% for Buffalo. At the time of this post, Google thinks the Southern Tier route to the I-81/I-86 split is about 15 minutes longer from Rochester and basically a toss-up from Buffalo. I personally prefer I-390/I-86 because it has less traffic and better scenery, but it adds more mileage than you might think because of I-390 bending westward and the less straightforward routing of I-86.
It probably depends on where you have the starting point.  If starting east enough that getting to I-390 requires backtracking, yes it's 15 minutes, but it's only half that if starting from the southern/western parts of the metro area.

Albany is very accessible to the other parts of the state.  If we're allowed to count the short hop from I-88 down to NY 17, Binghamton doesn't really add anything over Albany except Watertown and the towns along US 11.  And if we don't, Binghamton doesn't have a direct route to NYC anyways, because the Quickway ends at the Thruway.  There's a reason why one of the attractions of Albany is that everywhere is just a couple hours drive away (and why the Northway gets so congested in tourist season).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on May 21, 2021, 01:40:11 PM
It probably depends on where you have the starting point.  If starting east enough that getting to I-390 requires backtracking, yes it's 15 minutes, but it's only half that if starting from the southern/western parts of the metro area.

I went generic and used Google's definition of Rochester (St. Paul & E Main). It's similar from where I'm at because I also have to backtrack to get to I-390/I-590, which is a good point: the difference would be a lot less if there was a faster way to get from downtown to I-390 southbound.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 20, 2021, 10:20:42 PM
Illinois: Chicago
I prefer Bloomington, but Chicago is an ok choice despite being in a corner of the state.

Bloomington/Normal has direct interstate routes to Chicago, St Louis, Rockford, Springfield, Quad Cities, Champaign, and Peoria. Chicago is not only less central but lacks the direct connection to Peoria.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

I'd bet there's more traffic headed north from Albany to Montreal than north from Syracuse -- to nowhere.  Although I live in central NY, have to say Albany may edge Syracuse out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on May 21, 2021, 05:52:11 PM
I'd bet there's more traffic headed north from Albany to Montreal than north from Syracuse -- to nowhere.

Watertown? Thousand Islands? Kingston? Ottawa?

sprjus4

Quote from: bwana39 on May 19, 2021, 11:38:25 AM
I would think Dallas, particularly Downtown Dallas. I am sure some people would be equally vehement  that it is Houston. Some MIGHT argue San Antonio. It is academic that AUSTIN is not the center of anything except for governmental bureaucracy.  Arlington would like to claim it for their own as being the center of DFW.
San Antonio is easily more of a crossroads than Houston.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on May 21, 2021, 07:54:13 PM
I'd bet there's more traffic headed north from Albany to Montreal than north from Syracuse -- to nowhere.

All pale in size to Montreal plus the Adirondacks.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2021, 08:26:58 PM

However, they are decidedly not "nowhere". Ottawa's metro population is close to 1.5 million.

Also, I-81 is used by some traffic heading to the Adirondacks, too. From western NY, I-81 is the fastest route to anywhere on the US 11 and NY 3 corridors west of Lake Placid.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on May 21, 2021, 09:08:57 PM

However, they are decidedly not "nowhere". Ottawa's metro population is close to 1.5 million.

Also, I-81 is used by some traffic heading to the Adirondacks, too. From western NY, I-81 is the fastest route to anywhere on the US 11 and NY 3 corridors west of Lake Placid.
I would still go with Albany, as I-87 south of Albany is more important than I-81 south of Syracuse.

Rothman

Pfft.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2021, 10:26:20 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 21, 2021, 09:08:57 PM

I would still go with Albany, as I-87 south of Albany is more important than I-81 south of Syracuse.
Yeah.  This is compelling.

SkyPesos

Here's another related topic, how about crossroads of a region of this nation? For the Midwest, Chicago is an obvious choice, with I-94 to Milwaukee, Madison, Minneapolis, Grand Rapids and Detroit, I-90 to Toledo and Cleveland, I-80 to Omaha, Des Moines, Quad Cities, Toledo, Cleveland and Pittsburgh, I-65 to Indianapolis, Louisville, Cincinnati and Columbus, I-55 to St Louis and Kansas City, either serving it directly or via another interstate in the region. Some regions would be more difficult, like I can see a case for either Denver or SLC as the crossroads for the Mountain states.

CoreySamson

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 21, 2021, 07:57:53 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on May 19, 2021, 11:38:25 AM
I would think Dallas, particularly Downtown Dallas. I am sure some people would be equally vehement  that it is Houston. Some MIGHT argue San Antonio. It is academic that AUSTIN is not the center of anything except for governmental bureaucracy.  Arlington would like to claim it for their own as being the center of DFW.
San Antonio is easily more of a crossroads than Houston.
If I had to rank the top 10 Texas cities in crossroads worthiness, this would be it:

1. Dallas/Fort Worth
2. San Antonio
3. Abilene
4. Houston
5. Victoria
6. Lubbock
7. Austin
8. San Angelo
9. Waco
10. Tyler
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.