News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why do SO many people hate snow?

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, December 15, 2017, 09:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate 69 Fan

My family in the NE cannot get a break. They got 2 feet of snow in Skylar, on top of that, it’s March, and models are picking up on a FOURTH nor’easter. At this point, I’m calling this “The 2017 Hurricane season: Nor’Easter edition”
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

MNHighwayMan

The storms will continue until the naming of them ceases. :bigass:

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on March 15, 2018, 01:55:53 PM
My family in the NE cannot get a break. They got 2 feet of snow in Skylar, on top of that, it's March, and models are picking up on a FOURTH nor'easter. At this point, I'm calling this "The 2017 Hurricane season: Nor'Easter edition"

Having a sequence of nor'easters isn't that uncommon.

What is unusual is having the weekly nor'easters this late in the season.  One or two big blows in late winter isn't too abnormal.  Four, however...somewhat remarkable.

As to this being the result of storm naming... I'd blame it on TWC's storm naming, rather than the concept itself.  The local CBS affiliate has been naming storms for many, many years, dating back to when the station's weather department was actually principally a support division of Travelers Insurance.

(Simple storm names help with the discussion of insurance claims.)

jp the roadgeek

My experience with the 3 Nor'easters so far:

First (3/2): All rain, lots of wind
Second (3/7): 16", lots of wind, snow so heavy a snowblower couldn't move it.
Third (3/13): 4" for me, but 2 feet not too far away.  Not too bad for wind, compacted down so I really didn't even need a snowblower.
Fourth (3/20-21): European model saying a miss, GFS saying a hit.  Hoping the European model prevails. 
Fifth (3/24): ???

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hotdogPi

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 15, 2018, 06:46:13 PM

Third (3/13): 4" for me, but 2 feet not too far away.  Not too bad for wind, compacted down so I really didn't even need a snowblower.
Fourth (3/20-21): European model saying a miss, GFS saying a hit.  Hoping the European model prevails. 

Ventusky says 3/21 is a hit for both your location and my location, but there's nothing on 3/24.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

We've had six inches or more of snow on the ground since March 1st. That's a long time period even for mid-winter, but even more abnormal for March. Having both sunlight and feet of snow on the ground at 7:00 pm is rather strange.

Hurricane Rex

I have good news: the European model is generally more accurate (emphasis on generally).
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on March 16, 2018, 05:11:56 PM

I have good news: the European model is generally more accurate (emphasis on generally).

As of now, the GFS seems to have joined the European model and forecasts snows south of NYC and spared the hard hit areas of New England...

And now, of course, we're getting screwed again.  8-12" on Wednesday.  Hope this crap gets out of here by Memorial Day :angry: :ded:

And we only got 2-3"  tops, with 21"  just across LI Sound about 50 miles (as the crow flies) away.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

vdeane

When I was watching the weather on News10 last night, Tim Drawbridge noted that the North American model has actually been the most accurate model with respect to this year's storms.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.