News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Desolate Places Near Metropolitan Areas

Started by Avalanchez71, January 12, 2018, 02:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on March 03, 2021, 02:36:04 PM
Polk County is like that.  One second nothing the next second viola.

Actually, Lake Viola isn't in Polk County.  It's about two miles south of the county line.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

The core metropolitan counties of the Puget Sound region stretch deep into the Cascades, which means a lot of uninhabited wilderness is technically in the Seattle MSA.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Bruce on March 03, 2021, 05:01:59 PM
The core metropolitan counties of the Puget Sound region stretch deep into the Cascades, which means a lot of uninhabited wilderness is technically in the Seattle MSA.

This is in Aurora, CO (370k people) where I live.

This is in Denver city limits.

Chris

US 89

Isn't this true of just about every western metropolitan area?

KCRoadFan

Ketchup99

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Meadowlands in New Jersey should come close.

Sctvhound

The Francis Marion National Forest for Charleston. You only have to go 6-8 miles off US 17 to SC 41 to see roads with a few hundred cars a day.

webny99

Quote from: KCRoadFan on March 03, 2021, 10:23:08 PM
This picture of I-270 in Maryland speaks for itself. (Distance sign and everything!)

This is just my opinion, but 36 miles seems a bit far to truly be considered "near" the metropolitan area. Even if there's suburbs nearby, well, that's exactly what you'd expect at that distance from a large city. I took it that what is being looked for are places that are at most 10-15 miles from the urban core.

To cite my own area as an example, here's 15 miles and 12 miles to Rochester on I-490, and those are far from the best examples I can find: Kings Hwy is a mere 5 miles from Downtown Rochester, and Paul Road south of the airport is only slightly further.

tradephoric

I remember seeing a movie where they are disposing of a body in a really desolate marshy area, but in the background is the view of NYC.  Unfortunately I don't remember the movie and i don't know where the shot was taken.  But it was cool view.

tradephoric

^It might have been shot at Marine Park and they used a really narrow field of view to get the city skyline in the background.  I'd love to know what movie I'm thinking of.

MikeG

NV-375, the Extra Terrestral Highway about 90 minutes out of Las Vegas now has gasoline and a store in Rachel, NV since July 2020. This is the closest town to Area 51, and lots to see and experience.

Quote from: 1 on January 12, 2018, 02:37:18 PM
Assuming you're counting land only (the oceans obviously don't have humans living there), the Everglades and the Miami metro area are going to be the best example in the United States. There was a similar thread about this; it was slightly different, as the other thread was about places that feel desolate, while this one is about places that are desolate.

achilles765

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 12, 2018, 03:13:07 PM.

2) New Orleans, Louisiana is probably in a similar boat as Miami. I've never been there (though I have seen road videos, pictures, street-view, and more from the area), but I am guessing that since the New Orleans Metro Area is below sea level, close to the coast, and IIRC, surrounded by marshlands, there is probably a pretty abrupt change of scenery when exiting the Metro Area in any direction.

If you're heading west on IH 10 toward Baton Rouge, it's heavily urban from about a mile or so east of the French quarter until Loyola drive. After Loyola drive, dry land ends and you're on a 12 mile bridge over the water. When heading east, the major development stops just past Ih 510 and then begins to look very rural, though the mile or two before 510 isn't exactly very developed.
When heading north, there's the causeway which goes from highly urbanized Metairie to immediately in the middle of the lake.
So yeah you are imagine it pretty accurately. 
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

MinecraftNinja

Directly east of Baltimore across Chesapeake Bay is pretty rural.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 03, 2021, 05:24:07 PM

Chris

if you hadn't mentioned it, i would have. head east on i-70 not terribly far, and you're in the boonies for sure. it wasn't that long ago that people thought dia was in the boonies. my father used to say it was in westen kansas as a joke.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

KCRoadFan

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on March 06, 2021, 09:18:15 AM

Chris

if you hadn't mentioned it, i would have. head east on i-70 not terribly far, and you're in the boonies for sure. it wasn't that long ago that people thought dia was in the boonies. my father used to say it was in westen kansas as a joke.

I've sometimes thought of eastern Colorado as basically being a western extension of Kansas.

What's more, before it became a state, Colorado actually was a part of the Kansas Territory - in fact, Denver was named for the territorial governor at the time it was founded.

More info: https://www.kshs.org/kansapedia/james-w-denver/15510

WillWeaverRVA

Development is quickly changing this as it expands along US 60 and US 360, but much of western and southwestern Chesterfield County, VA (considered part of the Richmond/Tri-Cities metro area) is very empty. Same deal with Hanover County except along US 1 and US 301.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

thenetwork

Quote from: KCRoadFan on March 06, 2021, 12:11:49 PM

Chris

I've sometimes thought of eastern Colorado as basically being a western extension of Kansas.

What's more, before it became a state, Colorado actually was a part of the Kansas Territory - in fact, Denver was named for the territorial governor at the time it was founded.

Another interesting factoid:  James W. Denver's Great-Great-Grandson was Bob Denver, of Dobie Gillis & Gilligans Island fame.

Takumi

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on March 06, 2021, 12:57:48 PM
Development is quickly changing this as it expands along US 60 and US 360, but much of western and southwestern Chesterfield County, VA (considered part of the Richmond/Tri-Cities metro area) is very empty. Same deal with Hanover County except along US 1 and US 301.
And US 360. Mechanicsville is pretty built out now. Also, eastern Henrico has some very undeveloped areas.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

sparker

I yapped a bit about the wilderness area north of Santa Barbara a couple of years ago in the earlier phase of this thread; but there's an example immediately east of my San Jose home -- a functional wilderness southeast of Mount Hamilton, itself only a dozen crow-fly miles east of the populated SJ flatlands.  Part of it is contained in the Henry Coe State Park, but most of it is roadless, save for the county signed extension of CA 130 that heads over the ridgeline and then east to Patterson in the San Joaquin Valley (and one of Max R's fave drives).  If one takes 130 and its extension as the northern edge of this zone, it would be bordered by that road, I-5 and CA 33 on the east, CA 152 on the south, and the range east of the San Martin Valley (Gilroy to Morgan Hill) and the Coyote Creek drainage to the north of that (Morgan Hill to San Jose).  About the only accessible (from Morgan Hill) section is the aforementioned Coe State Park, the remainder is relatively untouched territory characterized by oak trees and scrub brush growth (and definitely fire-ready!).  Fortunately, most of the area isn't topographically amenable to efficient housing development, so that hasn't been an issue; the remoteness of the portions not contained in the state park are a further hindrance to such activity.  Thus the odds of it being developed for housing -- or even recreation beyond the park, which functions as a nature preserve, are quite slim; it'll stay desolate for the foreseeable future.   

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: KCRoadFan on March 06, 2021, 12:11:49 PM

Chris

and like that, i learned something new today. always a great day when that happens.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: KCRoadFan on March 06, 2021, 12:41:55 PM
This Street View picture is within Chicago city limits.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9527052,-87.8481079,3a,75y,309.4h,82.6t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1socC_WAFhubyFYun4hZXHMA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DocC_WAFhubyFYun4hZXHMA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.revgeo_and_fetch.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D351.59558%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Beach Drive, N.W. in Washington, D.C.

Beach Drive in Montgomery County, Maryland.

Beach Drive  in D.C. is owned and maintained by the National Park Service and serves Rock Creek Park (in D.C. all of it is owned by the NPS).

Beach Drive in Maryland is owned and maintained by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.