AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: New Zealand highway forum?  (Read 2820 times)

ClassicHasClass

• 0-60 in 59.999997 years

• Last Login: Today at 01:03:26 AM
    • Floodgap Roadgap
Re: New Zealand highway forum?
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 08:48:17 AM »

Could whoever's posting these label them briefly? Trying to go back to find a particular video means I have to watch them again.

vdeane

• Last Login: November 18, 2019, 08:42:04 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 01:26:44 PM »

Those roads are so American-looking, I'd probably forget to drive on the left side!  Do the variable speed limit signs actually flash, or is that something to do with the camera?

Interestingly, freeways look pretty similar the world over!
A roadgeek can tell the difference!  That said, New Zealand freeway signage is remarkably similar to MUTCD signage - definitely some inspiration from the US there!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: November 18, 2019, 11:57:06 PM
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 05:27:56 PM »

Those roads are so American-looking, I'd probably forget to drive on the left side!  Do the variable speed limit signs actually flash, or is that something to do with the camera?
A roadgeek can tell the difference!  That said, New Zealand freeway signage is remarkably similar to MUTCD signage - definitely some inspiration from the US there!
Well, I can see differences from state to state, each one has their nuances.

But in general, when I see freeways on the other side of the world, whether it is Chile, Australia, Algeria, etc., I see similar design characteristics.

Right drive versus left drive doesn't really change the basic design of the freeway.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to rest, and resting died.

vdeane

• Last Login: November 18, 2019, 08:42:04 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2019, 09:05:36 PM »

Well, I can see differences from state to state, each one has their nuances.

But in general, when I see freeways on the other side of the world, whether it is Chile, Australia, Algeria, etc., I see similar design characteristics.

Right drive versus left drive doesn't really change the basic design of the freeway.
I guess you're not a sign geek.  The point is that, because of NZ's signage patterns, one could easily mistake themselves for driving in the states (especially when near a right exit).  They basically copied the MUTCD for their guide signs, and literally the only differences between their freeways and ours are the lack of yellow strips for the inner shoulder, use of metric, and that they drive on the left.  That it.  Nothing else.  They even use route number/direction for navigation rather than control cities, which is not as common as one would think.  Australia doesn't.  Nowhere is Europe does.  Mexico doesn't.  South Africa doesn't.  Israel doesn't.  The UAE does not appear to.  The only country I could find that does outside of the US, Canada, and New Zealand is South Korea.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 12:39:16 AM
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2019, 12:26:34 AM »

They basically copied the MUTCD for their guide signs, and literally the only differences between their freeways and ours are the lack of yellow strips for the inner shoulder, use of metric, and that they drive on the left.  That it.  Nothing else.

New Zealand does use red paint on the shoulder of some of their motorways (akin to some UK motorways), but I do not know the significance of the paint. That's the only other difference I can think of.

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 12:36:04 AM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2019, 07:49:04 PM »

They basically copied the MUTCD for their guide signs, and literally the only differences between their freeways and ours are the lack of yellow strips for the inner shoulder, use of metric, and that they drive on the left.  That it.  Nothing else.

New Zealand does use red paint on the shoulder of some of their motorways (akin to some UK motorways), but I do not know the significance of the paint. That's the only other difference I can think of.
Did not notice that, unless it was in a work zone.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 12:39:16 AM
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2019, 12:24:29 AM »

Did not notice that, unless it was in a work zone.

I got this wrong. It's not actually red paint. It's actually a sort of high-traction surface applied only sometimes (sometimes both shoulders, sometimes none, etc):

This is from the Hayr Road overpass, above the South Western Freeway in Auckland:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.